The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depth

+4
teassoc
davidl1061
Strawberry Jam
lfc91
8 posters

Go down

Depth Empty Depth

Post by lfc91 Sun 13 May 2012, 7:14 pm

Simple question, what event(s) do you feel we have world class depth in, if any?
My choices would be mens high jump, with 3/4 men capable of jumping 2.30+. Also the mens 400mh, with the reigning world champion(dai greene) and 3/4 men capable of sub 49. Any thoughts?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Depth Empty Re: Depth

Post by Strawberry Jam Sun 13 May 2012, 8:32 pm

It's a good question you ask Ifc91. Hard to establish depth - but I'm working on the loose formula of any event we have two or more athletes competing to high - possibly Olympic qualifying - standard.

In the events we have only two that we can list, I would say though that they gotta be pretty good i.e. both capable of getting into the Olympic final. Elsewhere, I would say we could probably list anywhere between 3 to 5 where we believe that they either meet qualifying marks or are generally very competitive, or are young but advanced advanced talents with clear potential.

Mens Long Jump [ WL 8.35m - 2008 Olympic title won in 8.34 ];

8.35m PB Greg Rutherford
- Chris Tomlinson [ 2011 - 8.35m ]

Women's 800m [ WL 1:56.94 - 2008 Ollympic title 1:54.87 ];

1:59.37 PB Emma Jackson
- Jenny Meadows [ 2011 1:58.60 - PB 1:57.93 ]
2:02.62 Marilyn Okoro [ 2011 PB 1:58.45 ]
- Jemma Simpson [ 2011 1:59.59 - PB 1:58.74 ]
2:02.50 PB Jessica Judd [ Rising talent! ]

Men 800m [ WL 1:43.10 - 2008 Olympic title 1:44.65 ];

1:44.64 PB Andrew Osagie
1:44.86 Michael Rimmer
1:46.33 i Joe Thomas [ PB 1:46.20 ]

Men's High Jump [ WL 2.32 - 2008 Olympic 2.36 ]

2.34i PB Robbie Grabarz [ Outdoor 2.26 ]
2.31i PB Samson Oni [ outdoor 2.27 ]
- Tom Parsons [ 2.31i PB ]
2.20 Martyn Bernard [ 2.30 ]
2.20 Chris Baker [ U23 ]

Anyway, these are just some thoughts to get us started Very Happy

SJ

Last edited by Strawberry Jam on Sun 13 May 2012, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sun 13 May 2012, 8:53 pm

We're developing some depth in the 5000m possibly;

Men's 5000m [ WL 13:11.63 - 2008 Olympic title 12:57.82];

- Mo Farah [ PB 12:53.11 ]
13:15.21 Chris Thompson [ PB 13:11.51 ]
13:15.31 PB Thomas Farrell

Chris and Thomas have the Olympic A Standard already! Mo should be formality...

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sun 13 May 2012, 9:03 pm

We should be doing better in the Women's 400m, I feel...[ worth mentioning the event as well given the current 2008 champion is Ohorugu ]

Ohurugu coming back into shape?! 50.93s
[ WL 49.99 - 2008 Olympic title 49.62 Ohurugu ]

Will be interesting to see where Nicola Saunders is in terms of recovery from injury and efforts to return to her best [ 52.63 outdoors 2012 ].

SJ

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 14 May 2012, 1:18 am

Thanks for the input SJ. As you could probably guess from alot of my posts, i tend to be more knowledgeable in mens events more than womens, and shorter races rather than distance, so good to have some input on the womens etc. Mens 110 hurdles could be one, especially if sharman returns to form, we would then have 3 athletes capable of around 13.3, which i personal believe to be world class(although i know its a time unlikely to earn a major medal).

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Mon 14 May 2012, 8:27 pm

Thanks for the input SJ. As you could probably guess from alot of my posts, i tend to be more knowledgeable in mens events more than womens, and shorter races rather than distance, so good to have some input on the womens etc. Mens 110 hurdles could be one, especially if sharman returns to form, we would then have 3 athletes capable of around 13.3, which i personal believe to be world class(although i know its a time unlikely to earn a major medal).

I'm not anymore knowledgeable on any of the lesser followed events. Your thread got me motivated to find out more about the events in which we might have the most strength; where are we likely to be most competitive [ - outisde of the usual single world class athlete we might have in the odd event ]...

It seems as though there might be some events where we had some degree of depth in terms of ability - perhaps not world class, but definitiely Olympic qualifying time standard, plus a few younger athletes doing quite well...

Regarding the hurdles; Yes - if we may have 3 possible high quality athletes in the mens sprint hurdles if Sharman can get back to form. I remember a time when we had the likes Jackson, Jarrett [ who I always regarded very highly! ], Ridgeon [ Ridgeon and Jackson were coming through around the same time, with Ridegon perhaps even having the edge very early on, before injury blighted his career ], and Nigel Walker, featuring from the latter part of the 1980s, into early 1990's...

Last edited by Strawberry Jam on Mon 14 May 2012, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Mon 14 May 2012, 8:48 pm

We'll we be starting to see some of our male spinters starting to show their cards?!

James Dasalou has dropped in with a 10.18 for the 100m.

James Alaka with 20.45 over the 200m [ He's also put in a 10.22 for the 100m].

Yet to see Dwain...Ostrava our first opportunity...

What about the others?!

Mark Lewis-Francis 10.21
Richard Kilty 10.23
Adam Gemili 10.23 [ Still only 18! ]
Christian Malcolm 10.27
Tyrone Edgar 10.30

[ You can get stats from www.Powerof10.info ]

Then there's;

Craig Pickering [ He'll struggle to even get into the relay I suspect - though you never know ]
Simeon Williamson [ What's happenbed to him?! Disappointing! ]
HAA - has only 10.42 so far this season [ achieved 5th May ]

As the weeks roll on, there'll be a few start to peel away from the others. Which ones?! Whistle

SJ

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 14 May 2012, 9:52 pm

Apparently DC clocked a 10.52 in a race a few days ago, and in the same race tyrone edgar ran 10.3ish, i know its only one race but doesnt look to encouraging. whens the ostrava meet and is it televised? Yes i like the power of 10 site, although they seem to be a few days behind as i see results posted on here before they have them.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Mon 14 May 2012, 11:30 pm

Apparently DC clocked a 10.52 in a race a few days ago, and in the same race tyrone edgar ran 10.3ish, i know its only one race but doesnt look to encouraging. whens the ostrava meet and is it televised? Yes i like the power of 10 site, although they seem to be a few days behind as i see results posted on here before they have them.

10.52 for DC?! Oh Dear Shocked

Ostrava 25th of May...

Come on DC - pull yer socks up Whistle

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 15 May 2012, 12:36 am

Yes, there was -1mps wind which cant have helped, but the fact that edgar was in the same race and clocked a time 2 tenths faster could be cause for concern. Hopefully he gets a few races under his belt and gets in and around the 10 second mark.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Tue 15 May 2012, 8:31 am

Managed to track down some info on the event;

http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=58359&event=100&date=12-May-12

A -1.9m per sec headwind - and Edgar seems to have run 10.42's [ to DC's 10.52 ]. As Edgar's run faster this season, they've not listed this slower time. Still makes for bad reading Tumbleweed

But I'm sure there are useful reasons Whistle

Confident there'll be fester times to come Smile

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 15 May 2012, 10:42 am

Cheers for that. Im also confident DCs times will improve alot over the next few weeks, was just slightly shocked at him finishing behind edgar, would usually always back DC to beat him! Also do you know when the British olympic trials are SJ?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Tue 15 May 2012, 7:25 pm

Ifc91 - hopefully that 10.52 and finishing behind Edgar was the blip out the way Erm

[ Check out this youtube link - Chambers and Edgar in Ponce, Puerto Rico; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLx_9MnURlg ]

Regarding the UK trials;

Aviva 2012 Trials - 22nd-24th June

http://www.uka.org.uk/aviva-series/aviva-2012-trials/

I will be going Very Happy

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 15 May 2012, 9:47 pm

Hope his age hasnt caught up on him. He ran some good times in the indoor season, and i was under the impression he had been focusing on the 100m which is why he didnt run faster. still think hes our best chance of a male 100m finalist.
Would love to be going! Never been to a senior athletics event. Will be tuning in to watch though.:-).

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Tue 15 May 2012, 10:45 pm

My gut feeling is that DC has been in serious training, and that his legs are probably very heavy from it...

Not sure how anyone can prepare for an Olympics when they're not sure if they're going to be in attendance as a result of not being eligible / banned. Even if they're quietly confident about the decision, how would they be able to train properly and at full intyensity and with purpose. I'm guessing some of the hard work and heavy training is probably coming later into the season than might be the case otherwise.

It does seem like his legs were heavy. He has more in the tank. His indoor times were ok - but not great by his previous standards. I think he's held back up till now as it's only been worth bothering if he got the nod for the Olympics...

If he can get into shape of some kind, he certainly is our only hope of a finalist in the 100m. Getting into the final will take minimum / worst of sub 10.10 - perhaps even sub 10secs in one of the semi's. It's going to be competitive like never before!

Just my own opinion of course Erm

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 15 May 2012, 11:13 pm

Well i do value your opinion SJ. Hope your right concerning DC.

Also on a slightly unrelated note, isnt the european champs before the olympics this year?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Tue 15 May 2012, 11:58 pm

Yeah. the Euro's are before the Olympics [ 27th - 1st July ]. For some, they'll be a good testing ground; others, probably not worth the bother. Where some of our high calibre athletes choose to avoid them - provided CVC doesn't press hard on the issue - the Euro's might be a chance for some of our younger athletes to have a go at a resonable competitive and prestigious event...

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Wed 16 May 2012, 7:17 am

Yes thats what i was thinking would be a good opportunity for the youngsters as the elite older athletes may just skip them. Would not be surprised to see DC there though, gets invited to very little meets, and at the end of the day the man has to make a living!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Wed 16 May 2012, 8:27 am

Yes thats what i was thinking would be a good opportunity for the youngsters as the elite older athletes may just skip them. Would not be surprised to see DC there though, gets invited to very little meets, and at the end of the day the man has to make a living!

A good point regarding DC. He will probably want a few choice comps and races before the Olympics...both for money and prep...

Good luck to him...

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Wed 16 May 2012, 8:41 am

DC will need a few more tune up races, its whether he can get into any races with a good calibre of athlete to test himself, I find when coming into the season most races are very similar as the athletes use each other as a guage to see where they are at this early stage

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Fri 18 May 2012, 8:54 pm

Having talked about our sprinters, thought I'd check out how things were in terms of current form - nationally and internationally; it seems IAAF have misidentified James Dasaolu Doh egg

10.18 1.2 Eseosa Desalu NGR 1994 1 Montgeron 13/05/2012
[ From IAAF site http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/toplists/inout=o/age=n/season=2012/sex=M/all=n/legal=A/disc=100/detail.html ]

10.18 1.2 James Dasaolu 05.09.87 Montgeron, FRA 13 May 12
[ powerof10.info http://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=100&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2012 ]

Wonder if James knows Whistle

A man deserves due credit for his performances Yahoo

[ Anyway, had a 'stato' moment - thought I'd share LOL ]

SJ

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Wed 23 May 2012, 11:16 pm

[quote="Strawberry Jam"]

Small point. I don't think Sharman will be back to form this year. My guess is that we'll have Turner, Pozzi and Clark who all ought to get to the semis with a chance of finals for Pozzi and Turner, and maybe even Clark.

Could also see three GB runners in the 400 hurdles semis, with a good chance of two of them making the finals. Men's 800 metres you could anticipate the same levels of success.

What none of us knows is how the London factor will help or hinder performances. So far it looks like it's motivating a whole lot of high level performances that couldn't have been anticipated from last year's form. I just hope that athletes don't see attendance as the main goal. We have seen that previously with swimmers (of old) who flopped on the big occasion and it would be crushing to see that happen in athletics.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Thu 24 May 2012, 5:38 pm

[quote="teassoc"]
Strawberry Jam wrote:

Small point. I don't think Sharman will be back to form this year. My guess is that we'll have Turner, Pozzi and Clark who all ought to get to the semis with a chance of finals for Pozzi and Turner, and maybe even Clark.

Could also see three GB runners in the 400 hurdles semis, with a good chance of two of them making the finals. Men's 800 metres you could anticipate the same levels of success.

What none of us knows is how the London factor will help or hinder performances. So far it looks like it's motivating a whole lot of high level performances that couldn't have been anticipated from last year's form. I just hope that athletes don't see attendance as the main goal. We have seen that previously with swimmers (of old) who flopped on the big occasion and it would be crushing to see that happen in athletics.

Lots of good points.

Regarding the hurdles, agree; looking unlikely that Sharman will be back this season. With regards to Turner and Pozzi, I think we might possibly see Pozzi emerge as the new Britsh number 1. Turner has done some great work and has really progressed and has the ability and the talent to go under 13.2. But in recent times, and not just off the back of his poor 110m hurdles show at Manchester, I think he's struggling with competing at the next level - particularly dealing with the pressure. He knows he has the basic speed - he has rthe technique, but it's about keepign it together. The one thing about the hurdles, jumping them brings you nearer to an athlete on one side. If you're up against a big gun who's not going to flinch, then the less strong minded will buckle. We saw a recent good example, when Liu Xang won that race in Shanghai, in the process bearting the two formidable athletes, world champion Jason Richardson and David Oliver; Liu was determined - the other two athletes lost in the battle of minds, in my view. Pozzi is fresh but fearless and has nothing to lose - and it's showing, got to say. It is left for Turner to prove himself, both interntionally and, with Pozzi coming through, on the domestic front - and that'll begin at the UK Trials...

Regarding some of our other events, yes; mans 400m hurdles and mens 800m look good, and we've been remarkably strong in the women's 800m for some time.

Will the London affect be a benefit or burden?! I think that will be the case on a case by case basis - from athlete to athlete. Some will rise to the challenge, others will struggle. I'm always delighted when I see a Brit achieve a PB - regardless of where they finish. Though of course, a medal would be great...

Would welcome thoughts of others...

We athletics fans usually don't have so much pickings in terms of events to look forward to. 2012 will be a year to remember Very Happy

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sat 26 May 2012, 10:37 am

Totally agree, Pozzi is looking fantastic! Think this will be the year when he does become British numero uno.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 26 May 2012, 11:02 am

Nice to see young Pozzi doing so well.

But I don't altogether agree with some of the comments re Turner. Certainly he has done nothing special so far this year , and may well be overtaken as GB number one by the next generation soon , but in my view he has , far from being overawed , run very well on the "big" occasions , and in fact arguably overachieved for his level of ability.
He is never going to run the times of Jackson and Jarrett , but he has a World medal , albeit with the aid of some luck , and Golds at Commonwealth and European level.
If he can get firing this season (and it is still only May!) he might still feature in the Olympic final.
And as we all know , once you have a lane you have a shot...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sat 26 May 2012, 3:18 pm

Nice to see young Pozzi doing so well.

But I don't altogether agree with some of the comments re Turner. Certainly he has done nothing special so far this year , and may well be overtaken as GB number one by the next generation soon , but in my view he has , far from being overawed , run very well on the "big" occasions , and in fact arguably overachieved for his level of ability.
He is never going to run the times of Jackson and Jarrett , but he has a World medal , albeit with the aid of some luck , and Golds at Commonwealth and European level.
If he can get firing this season (and it is still only May!) he might still feature in the Olympic final.
And as we all know , once you have a lane you have a shot...

Thanks for your comments Alfie...

Apologies to him and all his fans and supporters if I've made out that I don't think he's talented, hasn't achieved, or hasn't got what it takes...

I actually think he's a great talent - and has the ability. He's got very good basic speed. The technique is there too. And last season, he honed it in to the point that he was getting very, very close to the best! In a couple of big races, he held his own against world class athletes...

He puts himself under a great deal of pressure. He knows how good he is, how good he can be, and how close he is. And his expectations of himself are justified - see below link [ Lausanne 2011 ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj4j_TptO4g

That race shows how good he can be. But even in setting his a PB, he came 4th. Shows how tough the competition was and is. Indeed, the field is even tighter and more competitive this year.

It's worth noting, that he set his PB only last year. That means he's by no means passed his best, and that he potentially has more on the tank. He's not necessarily that far behind the best. But it's now a test of mental strength, not ability. This is what it boils down to, in my view...

He was written off a few years back, when he had funding withdrawn. He's fought back and proved a lot of people wrong. Good luck to him - I do want him to do well OK

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 26 May 2012, 4:54 pm

No worries , SJ : I didn't think you were dissing him , just thought you implied that his mental strength was likely to let him down...while I guess I feel he is just a bit short of the speed required to regularly challenge the likes of Liu , Robles and Oliver , but is such a determined chap that he is often up there close enough to take advantage of any errors ...certainly as you say , this event is very competitive at the moment.

Guess the "local" rivalry with Pozzi may help lift both of their performances , as it was with Ridgeon and Jackson , and then Jarrett...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sat 26 May 2012, 5:43 pm

Well with both guys clearly capable of sub 13.3, i think we can safely say we have 2 world class hurdlers! Which is fantastic going into london.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 26 May 2012, 6:27 pm

Two A standards in the 400MH today with Rick Yates 49.39, and Rhys Williams 49.45 (along with a PB from Ben Sumner 44.57 which is a B standard.)

This is even before our supposed top 3 (Greene, Green and Woodward) go tomorrow.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sat 26 May 2012, 6:29 pm

lfc91 wrote:Well with both guys clearly capable of sub 13.3, i think we can safely say we have 2 world class hurdlers! Which is fantastic going into london.

I agree there Ifc91. It's been some time since we've been able to say that about the high hurdles! As Alfie mentions, not since Ridgeon, Jackson and Jarret [ remember epic World final when Jackson took the title, breaking world record, and Jarret got 2nd in 13secs dead! ].

It is going to be hard though to get into a the Olympic final this year. There are a hell of a lot runners now able to go sub13.2. Both Pozzi and Turner will have to go faster than they have so far this season to make the finals - possibly set PB's to make sure of a final placing. Let's hope the fact it's in London plays in their favour, and even puts some of their opponents off Whistle

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sat 26 May 2012, 6:30 pm

Don't forget Lawrence Clarke in the 100mh who isn't that far behind Pozzi. Very Happy

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sat 26 May 2012, 6:31 pm

djlovesyou wrote:Two A standards in the 400MH today with Rick Yates 49.39, and Rhys Williams 49.45 (along with a PB from Ben Sumner 44.57 which is a B standard.)

This is even before our supposed top 3 (Greene, Green and Woodward) go tomorrow.

...now we're talking 'depth'...

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sat 26 May 2012, 6:31 pm

teassoc wrote:Don't forget Lawrence Clarke in the 100mh who isn't that far behind Pozzi. Very Happy

Indeed!

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Wed 30 May 2012, 12:23 pm

10.4 secs in the 100m. What on earth.

Tamworth have an 11 year old girl who has ran a wind assisted 13.0 secs for the same distance.

The 100 metres is dwain chambers and really you could just about right off everyone else getting near the final.

The 400mH selection will be decided at the trials. There are 3 sub 49 second runners, with at least 3 others capible of the feat.

It should be a brilliant race.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 30 May 2012, 12:46 pm

Its funny because the 400 hurdles should be a cracker but when there has been similar sorts of depth in events in the past, the 400 as an example, sometimes the races are a bit of an anti climax, at least times wise. 100 has been similar in days of yore as well.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:12 pm

Should be interesting to see if Dia Greene even takes part in the trials.

Really in an olympic year with potentially so many capable of getting to the semi's and maybe beyond, he should get involved.

We'll have to wait and see.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down