The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland squad for SH tour

+41
allyt2k
CraigS1874
Artful_Dodger
Gibson
doctor_grey
Full Credit
bsando
InjuredYetAgain
tigertattie
Zander
TycroesOsprey
Manky-Flanker
EWT Spoons
GLove39
Biltong
Anglobraveheart
George Carlin
TJ1
justified sinner
munkian
Cryptoyourisan
21st Century Schizoid Man
Morgannwg
alexgmacdonald
Scot Abroad
Tattie Scones RRN
sensisball
Scottish Optimist
funnyExiledScot
RuggerRadge2611
Majestic83
RDW
flyhalffactory
Captain_Sensible
Pat_Mustard
Imperialbigdave
nickj
KickAndChase
IanBru
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
45 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Scotland squad for SH tour - Page 10 Empty Scotland squad for SH tour

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 16 May 2012, 6:39 am

First topic message reminder :

Backs - Ansbro, Blair, Brown, Cusiter, De Luca, Evans,Grove, Hogg, Laidlaw, S Lamont, Scott, Visser and Weir.

Forwards - Barclay, Cross, Ford(c), Grant, Gray, Hall, Harley,Kellock, S Lawson, Murray, Rennie, Ryder, Strokosch, Vernon and Welsh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scotland squad for SH tour - Page 10 Empty Re: Scotland squad for SH tour

Post by RDW Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:42 am

Just to point out - at no point was I suggesting that visser shouldn't start - get him straight in there! - I was saying there be no point in bringing in cusiter and weir instead of vissers Edinburgh team mates!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:31 am

My issue with yesterday's win is that you can't really read that much into it in. We already know Scotland are capable of dull, rear-guard actions against better teams. History shows that Scotland are comically inconsistent so a loss against Fiji and/or Samoa is a real possibility.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:34 am

I agree about the consistency point. I made the very same point on another thread. There's only real progress here if we follow up the win with a strong performance and victory against Fiji and then Samoa.

I do think that we did learn some things though against Australia:

1. We can put together a strong defensive performance away from home. This is the first away win against a tri-nations team for 30 years, so that is a new development.

2. Euan Murray is back at last.

3. Richie Gray can do both the nasty grunt work and well as the rangy open play work, and is fast become a complete lock.

4. John Barclay at 8 can work in certain circumstances and under certain conditions (although hurry back Denton).

5. The Laidlaw, Scott and De Luca midfield can defend.

Still, the key thing now is consistency. We MUST beat Fiji.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:38 am

How do the De Luca haters think he performed on Saturday?

Granted he didn't have much to do, but he defended well and it was his break that got us deep into their half, which eventually led to the points.

He gave away a penalty but I couldn't see what for, and the useless director barely showed any replays.

I missed the Hogg up and under where he nearly scored and thought I'd at least see a replay at half time or full time - no such luck!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:42 am

To be honest not much to judge the Scotland backs on. They all defended superbly but didn't really get any opportunity to run with ball in hand. The only outside back on the pitch that really shone was Digby Ioane.

The penalty against NDL was ridiculous.

Other than the inclusion of Visser for Lamont, I'd keep the same backline against Fiji. They deserve the chance to prove that they can play a different style of game in what will be very different conditions.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:45 am

I think the starting XV is pretty much nailed on already (the same as Aus but Visser in for Lamont) but what do people think about the bench?

Welsh, Lawson, Ryder and Vernon haven't done anything to lose their places, Cusiter and Weir are definites but what about the final back spot?

The options for me are Tom Brown, Lamont or Max Evans. I'd like to see Tom Brown keep it but I can see him picking Evans - why else would they go to so much hassle to fly him out on his own when we have decent cover out wide?

Would be happy with Evans or Tom Brown - both are electric and will be exciting to watch on a firm pitch in the sun.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:51 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:How do the De Luca haters think he performed on Saturday?

I don't think you can assess the performance of the backline when the weather was that bad.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:54 am

True, but he didn't get yellow carded which is a massive step in the right direction!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:58 am

I'd personally stick with Tom Brown on the bench against Fiji (covers 15 as well). Max Evans can take Ansbro's slot on the wing against Samoa.

Other than Visser, I may also be tempted by Vernon in place of Barclay, despite Barclay's quite outstanding performance against Australia. This game will be open and fast paced, and might just suit Vernon. Bring back Barclay against Samoa. Just a thought. Wouldn't have an issue were Robinson to make that change. You could then put Harley on the bench and give him the last 20 minutes in place of Strokosch assuming all is going well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:01 am

Anyone able to find the Fiji and Samoa teams from the weekend? I've only seen match reports without squads listed. Would be good to see the names we're up against, and how many we'll recognise!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:06 am

Given that it's Fiji we're playing, I think there is a case to be made for Evans's inclusion rather than Ansbro or Lamont. Saying that, he butchered a try after an outstanding break playing for Castres the other day.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:07 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Anyone able to find the Fiji and Samoa teams from the weekend? I've only seen match reports without squads listed. Would be good to see the names we're up against, and how many we'll recognise!

http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/match/161855.html

http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/match/161856.html

Hardly their strongest teams.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:09 am

Thanks - think I only recognise one player from each team there.....and one of them plays for Edinburgh the other used to play for Glasgow!

Hope they're not saving all their big guns for us.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:10 am

Fiji against Japan (I've heard that there's a chap called Talei who is pretty useful):

Fiji: 15 Isimeli Koniferedi, 14 Waisea Nayacalevu, 13 Vereniki Goneva, 12 Aisake Katonibau, 11 Watisoni Votu, 10 Setareki Koroilagilagi, 9 Nikola Matawalu, 8 Netani Talei (c), 7 Malakai Ravulo, 6 Iliesa Ratuva, 5 Leone Nakarawa, 4 Apisai Naikatini, 3 Setefano Somoca, 2 Viliame Veikoso, 1 Graham Dewes.

Replacements: 16 Seremaia Naureure, 17 Waisea Daveta, 18 Samu Bola, 19 Kelepi Ketedromo, 20 Kelemedi Bola, 21 Benedito Koroi, 22 Alusio Buto

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:11 am

Samoa against Tonga:

Samoa: 15 Faatoina Autagavaia, 14 Ken Pisi, 13 Alvin Tavana, 12 Ki Anufe, 11 David LEmi (c), 10 Lolo Lui, 9 Nalu Tuigamala, 8 Benjamin Masoe, 7 Afa Aiono, 6 Daniel Chricton, 5 Maselino Paulino, 4 Faatiga Lemalu, 3 Logovii Mulipola, 2 Pelesiusi Fualau, 1 Sakaria Taulafo.

Replacements:16 Wayne Ole Avei, 17 Viliamu Afatia, 18 Misioka Timoteo, 19 Alafoti Faosiliva, 20 Jeremy Sua, 21 Paul Perez, 22 Patrick Faapale.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:17 am

Not their strongest teams which is good news. Much was made of the fact that they'll be "battle hardened" having had these fixtures, but if they will be introducing new players to the fray between now and then there will be rustiness to exploit.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:39 am

The performance against Oz has given us quite a few selectorial headaches (in a good way, for a change!)

Welsh or Grant?

I think Welsh deserves to build on his performance vs Italy, but Grant was just superb last night. It was great for Scotland to have a scrum that could be used as a weapon, for a change. I’d keep Grant as the starter, and Welsh on the bench. I’m sure Welsh will get a chance to play, as the games vs Samoa and Fiji will be played at a much faster pace and in higher temperatures of course. Happy for Murray to stay at TH as well, he should munch the Fijian scrum.

Harley or Strokosch?

Big Stroker made me eat my words yesterday – I didn’t think he should have been selected, but he was immense. Having said, I think the conditions suited his style of play, and he probably isn’t the right answer at 6 for the future. I really do think that Harley should get some game time, but that can maybe wait for the Samoa game. I’d be happy with either playing, though there is an argument for Harley to come on from the bench.

Visser or Lamont or Brown or Ansbro?

I think Ansbro should stay at wing – every time he gets the ball he does something decent with it, and he defends very well too. Matt Scott and NDL should be allowed to show off their form as a partnership at club level in conditions more conducive to running rugby, so I think the centre pairing is solid for the Fiji game. I think Visser should take the other wing slot, with Brown covering the back three from the bench. Perhaps harsh to drop Lamont entirely and keep Brown on the bench, but we’ve been waiting three years for Visser to tear teams apart – let’s see him do it asap!

So, team for Fiji would be

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch/Harley
7. Rennie
8. Barclay
9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg

Subs – Lawson, Welsh, Ryder, Harley/Vernon, Cusiter, Weir, Brown

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:32 am

Captain_Sensible wrote:
nickj wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I think with Edinburgh signing Richie Rees at 9 Edinburgh laidlaw will be playing at 10 next year, and most of you know I am quite happy with that!

Yes in the 6N he was run over twice and had not much distance from the boot, but I think he's worked a lot on that since then and, having watched every Edinburgh game since then, can honestly say he's put in good defensive performances.

As for his kicking - he's no Priestland or Sexton but his technique has improved significantly this season and he does make good distance with his kicks now. He also has an extremely good short kicking game.

I'd like to see more of Matt Scott's kicking (used to be a 10) as he could take some of this from Laidlaw.

As for Edinbrugh's back up 10's - Harry Leonard is waiting in the wings. I think this guy is the real deal - he looks a tremendous prospect and has had some stand out games for Edinburgh this year despite only being 19.

I agree with RDW's points. I'm also convinced we'll see Laidlaw revert back to 9 in a season or two. I think we'll see Leonard take the 10 shirt at Edinburgh eventually, that process may even start this season with Leonard playing 40% of the Rabo games for example; with Weir, Leonard and Jackson vying for the shirt at international level.

With that in mind I'd like to see Jackson get some game time at 12 at Glasgow this season. He and Scott challenging each other for 12 and Dunbar and De Luca battling for 13 (amongst others) would create a nice competition for places amongst the two regions.

I think Toony's more likely to give Jackson time at 12 than Lineen too. I dont think Laidlaw's time at 10 has done him or the Scots team any harm at all. He's a cracking talent in both positions and its great to have some flexibility in the team.

The big problem with Jackson at 12 is that he’s not a good defender, and we can’t rely on him to crash it up with slow ball. He gets run over by attackers quite frequently, and inside centre is perhaps an even more important position in defensive terms that flyhalf.

I think Lineen experimented with Jackson at 12 a few times, but it didn’t really work. Why should it? He’s a 10. Not everyone can do a Laidlaw or Matt Scott and easily swap between two totally different positions. If he picks up his form enough to be selected at flyhalf, then great. If not, then we shouldn’t shoehorn him into the team just because we want him to play. He should be pushing Weir as hard as possible for the 10 shirt as that kind of competition improves players.

Alex Dunbar is a far more natural 12, and has played very well in that position for Glasgow recently. He breaks the line, distributes well and defends well. To my mind, it is he and Scott that should be going head to head for the 12 shirt, which has been a real problem position for us. NDL, Ansbro, Grove, Bennett and even Hogg can duke it out for the 13 slot.
In my opinion Hogg is a 13. So why dont you move jackson to 15 ? he has the kicking game and has played plenty of sevens and has a running game. The only doubt i would have would be if he would be solid under a high ball but he will certinly improve if he has played there. And did he not play 15 when he was playing age grade rugby ?

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:40 am

I have to disagree with you here. Hogg is a 15, he has a massive boot and can return a kick with interest and is best with ball in hand breaking from deep or supporting the line out wide. I’d keep him at fullback. We have plenty of options at 13, Dunbar, Bennett, NDL, Ansbro, Grove. We have few options at 15 with only Hogg, Brown and Mr Glass. Shifting Hogg to 13 isn’t practical at the moment.

I hope the SRU are getting the players out to Fiji as soon as possible. We have a weekend off this week, so the best idea would be to get them out there and training as soon as possible to try to aclimatise them to the conditions. There’s little point in them staying in Aus. They need to get used to the hard ground and the heat.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by allyt2k Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:47 pm

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch
7. Rennie
8. Barclay
9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg

Subs – Lawson, Welsh, Ryder, Vernon, Cusiter, Weir, Brown

Don't want to change the team to much, Sean sounds like he's taken a knock to the ribs so straight swap with Visser. Brown and Grant capped with Scott getting good game time at 12, priority of the bench would probably be weir and welsh but depends how the Fiji game goes and injuries.

Don't move Hogg to 13 he's really good where he is with him and Brown challenging each other for the 15 berth with Mr Glass as cover. Bring Dunbar through as 13 and Bennett needs to start making an impact France or he's gonna be forgotten about.

Agree that Laidlaw will probably move back to 9 in the next couple of seasons when Leonard gets more game time, so I would keep Jackson at 10 but give him a kick up the backside.

I see Max has arrived with the squad, I think it would be wrong to put him in the squad or on the bench in place of Brown, unless Ansbro is injuried after his hug with stroker then i cant see any reason for his inclusion, like Vernon he hasn't been on the best of form.

allyt2k

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:50 pm

Captain_Sensible wrote:The performance against Oz has given us quite a few selectorial headaches (in a good way, for a change!)

Welsh or Grant?

I think Welsh deserves to build on his performance vs Italy, but Grant was just superb last night. It was great for Scotland to have a scrum that could be used as a weapon, for a change. I’d keep Grant as the starter, and Welsh on the bench. I’m sure Welsh will get a chance to play, as the games vs Samoa and Fiji will be played at a much faster pace and in higher temperatures of course. Happy for Murray to stay at TH as well, he should munch the Fijian scrum.

Harley or Strokosch?

Big Stroker made me eat my words yesterday – I didn’t think he should have been selected, but he was immense. Having said, I think the conditions suited his style of play, and he probably isn’t the right answer at 6 for the future. I really do think that Harley should get some game time, but that can maybe wait for the Samoa game. I’d be happy with either playing, though there is an argument for Harley to come on from the bench.

Visser or Lamont or Brown or Ansbro?

I think Ansbro should stay at wing – every time he gets the ball he does something decent with it, and he defends very well too. Matt Scott and NDL should be allowed to show off their form as a partnership at club level in conditions more conducive to running rugby, so I think the centre pairing is solid for the Fiji game. I think Visser should take the other wing slot, with Brown covering the back three from the bench. Perhaps harsh to drop Lamont entirely and keep Brown on the bench, but we’ve been waiting three years for Visser to tear teams apart – let’s see him do it asap!

So, team for Fiji would be

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch/Harley
7. Rennie
8. Barclay
9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg

Subs – Lawson, Welsh, Ryder, Harley/Vernon, Cusiter, Weir, Brown

Agree Captain - Grant and Murray have to stay and I am starting to agree with Ferrie in the Herald today who said that Robinson has to realise Al Kellock's brain and his ability to keep talking to the ref and get him onside (something which Ford has not got a handle on yet) is worth the trade-off for not being as fat a knacker as Swingin' Jim Hamilton. I would also blurt out the following:

1. Should Max Evans replace Joe Ansbro?

I am a big fan of Ansbro - he never seems to waste a ball and runs very good lines. I hope that everyone has been on RugbyDump.com and seen Max's 60m run against Toulouse in the Top 14 semi-final, only for him to have a nutty when he got over the line and try to pass it back instead of wrestling it to the ground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhkwBYCJN8&feature=player_embedded

Impressive and yet not impressive. Really between Brown and Max as the utility back of choice on the bench. Which brings me to...

2. Should Brown stay on the bench?

Something that hasn't been talked about much was the way in which Brown kept his error count down and effectively wrapped up Ioane whenever he got the ball. It would be hugely unfair to drop him but I think that Robinson will.

3. Should Barclay stay at 8?

Oh lord god, I don't know. It's still like watching a granny with a mobile phone - completely wrong, but strangely fascinating. Maybe having JB on the pitch is actually the best option if we can't have Denton or Beattie. But will Edinburgh's favourite Fijian mash him?

4. Are we wrong about Strokosch?

Good lord, I always had him down as a perennial underachiever. He still is, on past performances. But I think that I would rather have him as chopper than Rob at present. Robinson will almost certainly keep him.

5. Who drops out of the wing slot?

McVisser and either Max or Joe for me. Cannot decide. Better post this now before I change my mind again.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:38 pm

Think it would be a very big decision to drop any players from the AUS team.... all were heroes, all defended their hearts out.

In situations like this you should try and keep the morale as high as possible, keeping the same match 15 at least is the best way of doing so.

Visser will have his time and maybe a bench spot should be more appropreiate.

The boys will be on a high.. Robinson will want to keep this going as long as possible. I've always said that belief is our biggest block to winning games and scoring tries.
Confidence is especially key to attacking play.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:27 pm

My team for Fiji:

1.Grant 2.Ford 3.Murray 4.Kellock 5.Gray 6.Strokosch 7.Rennie 8.Vernon 9.Blair 10.Laidlaw 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.NDL 14.Ansbro 15.Hogg

16.S Lawson 17.Welsh 18.Ryder 19.Harley 20.Cusiter 21.Weir 22.Brown

Just two changes to Tuesday's side for me. Visser, because Lamont was injured plus hasn't been close to Visser's form all season, and Vernon, purely because I think this game will suit his abilities perfectly (and because I still see Barclay as a 7 rather than an 8, despite his awesome performance).

I'd like Welsh, Ryder and Harley all to get some time on the pitch in this game, assuming the match situation permits it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:59 pm

I wasn't convinced of Evans during the 6N but after watching that video it looks like he's getting better again! If I'm honest I think Evans should be played as another option at 13 again, not on the wings, he's definitely better at the weaving and dodging thing and would be an excellent power substitute to DeLuca, and would encourage DeLuca to always be playing his best. This would leave leeway to explore Dunbar as an option at 12 imo.

Looking forward to seeing what Visser can do for Scotland!

My team would be the same as Australia, except with Visser in for Lamont's rib injury, and possibly Evans in for De Luca, although De Luca has done nothing wrong to be dropped so arguably he should stay on the squad too. Interesting to have a choice for a change!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:04 pm

Max isn't a great distributor of the ball, tends to run himself. I think if you start Viss, and I would, then you want NDL inside. Also there are some interesting Edinburgh moves which involve Viss and NDL, so that would sway me.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:20 pm

I agree with JS on this. Evans is a fine and elusive runner but his distribution skills are not that hot. Personally I think NDL is the better 13, and Evans the better winger.

Had Evans been with the squad from the beginning I'd probably have him ahead of Ansbro on the wing, but I thought Ansbro went pretty well against Australia. Not much in it though, and Evans might like to play in an open match against Fiji.

Scott, NDL and Visser have a great combination with Edinburgh. I'd certainly give that trio a blast against Fiji.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:46 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:I wasn't convinced of Evans during the 6N but after watching that video it looks like he's getting better again! If I'm honest I think Evans should be played as another option at 13 again, not on the wings, he's definitely better at the weaving and dodging thing and would be an excellent power substitute to DeLuca, and would encourage DeLuca to always be playing his best. This would leave leeway to explore Dunbar as an option at 12 imo.

Looking forward to seeing what Visser can do for Scotland!

My team would be the same as Australia, except with Visser in for Lamont's rib injury, and possibly Evans in for De Luca, although De Luca has done nothing wrong to be dropped so arguably he should stay on the squad too. Interesting to have a choice for a change!
Lads, think we should be careful not to translate one (excellent) break into a match-winning or season-form-finding performance? I wouldn't have had NDL playing against Australia (thick-headedness and inability to translate club form up a level), but not sure that we can justify dropping him when he didn't do much wrong versus Oz. The acid test will come in the dry conditions of Fiji and Samoa, when with ball in hand we'll hopefully get a chance to see what our backline is actually capable of OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:02 pm

When did asbo become such a storm crow? Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:03 pm

He's probably still smarting from Mark Bennett's failure to produce a single convincing tackle in the JWC game against the Aussies Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:07 pm

I haven't watched either game yet, so am holding my peace - in the meantime, I'll let someone with greater knowledge of the game have their say - from scottishrugbyblog:

Young Scots Outmuscled By Wallabies

Posted by Rory Baldwin

Australia 67-12 Scotland

Scotland never really got going against the powerful junior Wallabies, which was disappointing as at times they looked proficient with ball in hand and in the line-out. While teams like England, Australia and the home nation South Africa will go with genuine intent to win the IRB Junior World Championships, for nations like Scotland it is an uneasy truth that these trips represent a chance for youngsters to have their eyes opened as to the levels they will need to attain to compete in professional rugby.

Unsurprisingly the players who looked most comfortable against an Australian team packed with plenty of bulk and Super Rugby/Sevens experience – including their new hope Chris Sautia – were the few Scots already with pro experience: Robin Hislop, Harry Leonard and Mark Bennett.

Bennett at 13 in particular showed why he was snapped up by Clermont with some great turnover work in defence and some nice breaks through the midfield, two of which should have been tries given a little more careful passing, and one of which did set up a fine score. As the commentary said of Bennett: “he looks like he would be a handful in a side going forward.”

The Scots battled hard but Australian physicality and pace over the tackle area kept them from ever being comfortable at their own ruck, forcing them to commit numbers which made it too easy for the outside defence when Scotland got their ball carriers moving despite targeting the wide channels. The added power also made it far too easy for Australia to get their own ball carriers over the gain line, and creating too many uneven match-ups and too many soft tries early on.

The game was well over by half-time with Australia sitting on about 84% possession for the half. Every time Scotland had the ball the Australians found it too easy to recover. Numerous breakdown and scrum infringements didn’t help Scotland’s cause much.

A short-range try from the forwards just before half time and a more settled second half saw Scotland keep more ball while still testing the Australian back-line defence with some nice grubbers and chips, but even with Farndale’s excellent try perhaps raising the possibility of a four try bonus, the damage had already been done.

In truth, Scotland were never really in it when it counted; they will need to lick their wounds and recover for yet more stern tests against France and Argentina.

Reckon the pair of you were watching a different game, fES?! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:43 pm

Ah yes, Rory Baldwin again. I don't think rugby is his sport.

It is true, Bennett would have looked better in an Aussie shirt (as would all the Scotland players), and his break for the Farndale try was outstanding, but my goodness his tackling and defensive alignment were poor. His opposite number dominated him, his second try basically just picking a line through the defense untouched.

Still, the whole team was utterly dreadful. Rory says Scotland battled hard. Not really. Totally dominated in every department physically. The body positions were dreadful and the defensive alignment all over the shop. Missed first up tackles everywhere, poor scrambling and bad rucking technique.

Didn't think Hislop showed up much, and I'd say Leonard had a game to forget.

I think Rory is just naming the players he's heard of. Truth is Scotland were dreadful to a man. Trying to find positives is frankly pathetic.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:36 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Ah yes, Rory Baldwin again. I don't think rugby is his sport.

It is true, Bennett would have looked better in an Aussie shirt (as would all the Scotland players), and his break for the Farndale try was outstanding, but my goodness his tackling and defensive alignment were poor. His opposite number dominated him, his second try basically just picking a line through the defense untouched.

Still, the whole team was utterly dreadful. Rory says Scotland battled hard. Not really. Totally dominated in every department physically. The body positions were dreadful and the defensive alignment all over the shop. Missed first up tackles everywhere, poor scrambling and bad rucking technique.

Didn't think Hislop showed up much, and I'd say Leonard had a game to forget.

I think Rory is just naming the players he's heard of. Truth is Scotland were dreadful to a man. Trying to find positives is frankly pathetic.
Absolutely agreed - 11 tries to 2 is not defensible and we shouldn't try.

FES - I like making fun of the Bennett-second-coming-of-Christ hyperbole as much as you do (well, perhaps not quite as much) and the lad obviously has a lot of work to do technically which is consistent with how he was when I saw him play (e.g. his pace in the Hydro made up for a lot of positional slips and scooting out of the defensive line, etc). But let's not mash the lad. He and Farndale are two of the very, very few genuinely creative strike runners that we have on the horizon.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:29 am

GC - I'm really not intending to "mash the lad". I genuinely hope he becomes a great player for Scotland, similarly Farndale. As is well known on here, I think suggestions that he should have toured with the senior squad to be ludicrous, and I regret that he decided to go to the Clermont Academy rather than play first team rugby with Glasgow, but I really do hope that ultimately he becomes a top class back. All I can say is that he isn't one yet.

I do also think that we shouldn't judge individuals too harshly based on that performance. We could have had BOD, Joe Roff, Jeff Wilson and Christian Cullen playing and we'd still have been humped. The forwards were dominated in every respect and it ws really only an exercise in tackling practice for the backs (not that the excelled in that regard).

Hopefully just a bad day at the office.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:38 am

OK who would like to join me in invading the Welsh threads to talk about Scotland? I think it's time we got a little bit of payback for the Welsh love ins we seem to see on a lot of Scotland orientated threads.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:43 am

Scot Abroad wrote:OK who would like to join me in invading the Welsh threads to talk about Scotland? I think it's time we got a little bit of payback for the Welsh love ins we seem to see on a lot of Scotland orientated threads.

The thought is appealing but something of a waste of time. I have tried to comment reasonably on some of the threads and more or less get ignored. By all means though bash on...

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:45 am

I think I'll keep out of that one.....! boxing

If Wales win on Saturday go on about how it is the worst Australian team in a generation etc and see how they like it.... Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:55 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think I'll keep out of that one.....! boxing

If Wales win on Saturday go on about how it is the worst Australian team in a generation etc and see how they like it.... Whistle

Bingo! I think I'll wade in with the classic "congratulations to Wales for winning, but lets not get too carried away. That wasn't the strongest Aus team......". Que furious Welsh fans who can give it but not take it. Hug

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:08 am

Radge, it's clear that various rules apply to posts on these boards:

1. Anyone being measured, magnanimous, insightful or intelligent tends to get ignored.

2. All threads that have nothing to do with Wales can be turned into threads that have everything to do with Wales.

3. Within 30 posts, all threads that have nothing to do with Wales will be turned into threads that have everything to do with Wales.

4. Nobody is allowed to point out 3.

5. 21st Century Schizoid Man apparently has some strong opinions about Mr Richard Andrew Robinson.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:11 am

George Carlin wrote:Radge, it's clear that various rules apply to posts on these boards:

1. Anyone being measured, magnanimous, insightful or intelligent tends to get ignored.

2. All threads that have nothing to do with Wales can be turned into threads that have everything to do with Wales.

3. Within 30 posts, all threads that have nothing to do with Wales will be turned into threads that have everything to do with Wales.

4. Nobody is allowed to point out 3.

5. 21st Century Schizoid Man apparently has some strong opinions about Mr Richard Andrew Robinson.

No. 5 is news to me. Scotland squad for SH tour - Page 10 Rant As for the rest I agree 100%.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:12 am

I personally hope Wales get absolutely humped in all three tests just to show some erchies on here that the Welsh team is not as good as they think. I like their style of play but it's difficult not to want them to lose reading some of the comments on 606v2.

Even if there were some new caps in the Oz team on Tuesday, I was immensely proud and chuffed that Scotland managed to do something previous teams for the last 30 years failed to achieve - beat Australia in their own back yard.

On to Fiji now, arguably the easiest of the two PI's (at the moment) and a win is a must. I would expect our pack to completely dominate Fiji's and would like to see at least three tries in a convincing win. It's no use grinding out the odd amazing win against the top teams if we can't put lesser nations to the sword and be completely ruthless in doing so. If we don't, there is no way we deserve to be in the top 5-8 in the rankings.

It's time to make amends for a poor 6N and bring some belief back to the supporters.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:15 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:I personally hope Wales get absolutely humped in all three tests just to show some erchies on here that the Welsh team is not as good as they think. I like their style of play but it's difficult not to want them to lose reading some of the comments on 606v2.

My dad is Welsh, hence my 2nd team is Wales but I find this comment "bang on" in the words of Rik Mayal in that rediculous bombadier advert.

They are almost as bad as Leinster fans these days Run
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:20 am

I like a lot of the Wales team and most Welsh people that I've met, but I agree it is getting harder and harder to want them to win with some of the comments people make.

The thing that really gets me is the number of players they class as "world class". In my opinion to be classed as world class you should be a shoe-in for the top 3 players in the world for that position. For me Warbuton and Lydiate definitely aren't in that category, Faletau and North are no where close (yet) and only Jenkins and maybe Adam Jones could be up there, when on form (which they haven't been so much recently compared to what they used to be like).

I would give my right arm for Scotland to have been as successful as Wales have in my lifetime, but some people definitely need some humility!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:30 am

Doh Now we've got a thread in which WE're talking about Wales without a Welshman/woman in sight!! Is it catching?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:32 am

Ha - that's rule 3 for you!

Changing the subject....So who is on Twitter and who on the Scotland team do you think is the best banter?

Nathan Hines is good fun and they all take the mick out of Mike Blair, which is good to see!

Max Evans isn't too exciting but he's got a stunning GF so I'll let him off in case he posts some holiday snaps! Drool

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:36 am

Mike Blair is a pretty funny guy, Cusiter is a pretty decent tweeter too.

Rory Lamont is almost cetrianly the most controversial tweeter and NDL was actually pretty good untill he got lambasted for his performance in the Wales game and had to shut it down, a pity.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

anyway RDW and all other tweeters get following me! @nightmare2611
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:41 am

Its a bit like planet rugby where every thread gets irished.

Re: Evans. Sure hes got quick feet and an eye for a gap, but hasnt got a braincell devoted to rugby in his body. Runs up blind alleys far too often because he tries to do it all himself and ignores the players around him. IF, and thats a strong if, he is in the team, then it should be winger only.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:42 am

Done!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:44 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Done!

Huzzah!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:48 am

Oh and radge, youve now given away the intricate details of your life to a bunch of people with too much time on their hands. Wink
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next