The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who can fill Hatton's void????

+26
Steffan
Strongback
horizontalhero
Gordy
milkyboy
manos de piedra
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Josef K.
Nico the gman
ShahenshahG
AlexHuckerby
BoxingFan88
alfredperami
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
tcribb
KingMonkey
azania
TopHat24/7
Mind the windows Tino.
lfc91
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Rowley
88Chris05
Union Cane
Sugar Floyd Louis
TRUSSMAN66
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who can fill Hatton's void???? - Page 2 Empty Who can fill Hatton's void????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 May 2012, 10:03 am

First topic message reminder :

Since I've been here only a few fighters have caught the Pubic's imagination...........Bruno.........Hamed......Benn....Eubank........and Hatton.......

Lennox because he fought so often abroad never really reached the heights of these guys for me in carrying the public's interest!!

For me Hatton's retirement seems to have created a void in the hero stakes over here!!!

and i just can't see who's going to become the kind of star he was and fill it!!!!!!

Exciting......Charismatic.......top p4per... and a sort of working-class-hero-type that seemed to have the Country behind him..

Anybody you can see working up this kind of hysteria???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Who can fill Hatton's void???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who can fill Hatton's void????

Post by KingMonkey Fri 18 May 2012, 6:45 am

The whole package can be a mixture of things, there is no perfect recipe. Naz had the arrogance, similar to Floyd, that attracted those wanting to see him knocked out. That worked to a point but the bottom line was that he was entertaining, he had power, he was exciting to watch and that is that part which makes the difference. Johnny casual fan wants to see knockouts, he doesn't want to see Burns wear down a guy over 12 rounds with practically no hope of seeing a ko.

Ricky had the common touch, as Brits we loved that but like Naz he was involved in entertaining fights.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Who can fill Hatton's void???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who can fill Hatton's void????

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 8:16 pm

alma wrote:
azania wrote:Naz was terrific, both in and out of the ring. I remember his ring-walks. His casual dismissal of opponents. Plus his build up to maing his US debut with that dread anouncing his arrival and naz springing off the ship. Pure class.

and what was even more hilarious was the way he was laughed out of the states straight after the fight!

He was? His US debut was against Kevin Kelly. I don;t think he was laughed out of anywhere.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 18 May 2012, 8:32 pm

horizontalhero wrote:

Pure class and Naz, not words not often found in the same sentence. Brilliant fighter, but absolutely no class at all.

If I tried all night I couldn't put it better that this.

The guy was and is a pratt.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 8:37 pm

alma wrote:You obviously didn't read the American press after the fight Az. Budd Schulberg is particularly scathing in his book about Naz's lack of defence, lack of chin etc

I didn't read that. I remember KO Magazine writing him up though and describing the KDs as flash KDs due to Naz's unique style and balance. KO did like him though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 18 May 2012, 9:05 pm

Everyone was laughing at Naz (except Jeff).

MAB made a fool out of him. Every time Naz tried to jeer or belittle Marco he got a mouth full of leather.

The press reveled in it. The arrogance was knocked out of Hamad quicker than a McLaren-Mercedes hitting a VW Golf.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 9:31 pm

Strongback wrote:Everyone was laughing at Naz (except Jeff).

MAB made a fool out of him. Every time Naz tried to jeer or belittle Marco he got a mouth full of leather.

The press reveled in it. The arrogance was knocked out of Hamad quicker than a McLaren-Mercedes hitting a VW Golf.

How did MAB make a fool of him? Naz lost by 2-3 rounds. Hardly a Junior Jones type beating is it?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 10:13 pm

alma wrote:He lost by 9-3 if memory serves as mab had a point deducted for slamming his head into the ring post which was hilarious. Always nice to see a childish bully get his comeuppance. Joe calzaghe's book may be pony but the bits in about Naz are essential reading just to expose what a little Prat he really was.

Ahhh, now we're getting somewhere. Not a Naz fan I see.

Nevermind. It wasn't a schooling like Junior Jones, Naz lost by 3 rounds.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 18 May 2012, 10:19 pm

Naz was a disgrace in the ring belittling honest pros. He kept jeering at MAB and the funniest part was when he stuck his chin out as if MAB couldn't hit him only for MAB to land a punch right on the kisser.

MAB finally had enough of Khan when he committed the ultimate act of humiliation by picking Naz up and bouncing him off the ring post.

It might have been a 3-4 round win, after a point deduction, but MAB exposed and showed Hamed up to the extent his career was practically finished. I don't think it's an overstatement to say the loss to Barrera effected Naz's confidence so much he practically retired. MAB showed him up and he knew it. Naz's cockyness was gone.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 10:24 pm

alma wrote:I thought mab lost by two rounds to junior Jones? And Naz won three rounds against mab on one card and four on the other two. I just checked.

And I think my dislike of Naz is well known on here. A playground bully who belittled his mostly handpicked inferior opponents and then bricked it the first time he fought a p4p fighter before, like most bullies, running off crying never to return.

That said, he was a character, which we need more of.

MAB was knocked out by Jones.

Handpicked inferior opponents? He cleaned up the division and (were it not for alphabet bodies) unified the division. The guy made the little guys interesting and generated money for them.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 10:25 pm

Strongback wrote:Naz was a disgrace in the ring belittling honest pros. He kept jeering at MAB and the funniest part was when he stuck his chin out as if MAB couldn't hit him only for MAB to land a punch right on the kisser.

MAB finally had enough of Khan when he committed the ultimate act of humiliation by picking Naz up and bouncing him off the ring post.

It might have been a 3-4 round win, after a point deduction, but MAB exposed and showed Hamed up to the extent his career was practically finished. I don't think it's an overstatement to say the loss to Barrera effected Naz's confidence so much he practically retired. MAB showed him up and he knew it. Naz's cockyness was gone.

Stick with Ricky Burns type fighters. Humble, classy, really really nice guys who are BORING. OK OK

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 10:31 pm

alma wrote:I thought mab was disqualified although I can't remember why, then lost the rematch by a couple of rounds.

His corner stormed the ring to stop the fight after he was getting a thorough beatdown. This being boxing, it was never as simple as that. They complained about the DQ and how unjust it was. But regardless, he got mullered in the rematch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 10:32 pm

Kind of goes against the grain if you're going to have a spectacular entrance and then be a boring fart when interviewed and devoid of personality.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 18 May 2012, 10:35 pm

alma wrote:Stick with Ricky Burns type fighters. Humble, classy, really really nice guys who are BORING. OK OK
Burns is Scottish so aint really gonna capture the English nation as a working class hero type that Truss is referring to is he

Doh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 18 May 2012, 10:38 pm

Him from Sheffield. Whats his name.. Kell Brook? Him.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 18 May 2012, 10:39 pm

alma wrote:
Steffan wrote:
alma wrote:Stick with Ricky Burns type fighters. Humble, classy, really really nice guys who are BORING. OK OK
Burns is Scottish so aint really gonna capture the English nation as a working class hero type that Truss is referring to is he

Doh

personally I like burns for the reasons listed above (apart from the boring bit).
I dont find him boring. He is just one of the more classier guys in boxing. Dont get me wrong I like Haye and Chisora type trash talk as well but its nice to hear a gentleman speak now and again

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 10:52 pm

alma wrote:
azania wrote:
alma wrote:I thought mab was disqualified although I can't remember why, then lost the rematch by a couple of rounds.

His corner stormed the ring to stop the fight after he was getting a thorough beatdown. This being boxing, it was never as simple as that. They complained about the DQ and how unjust it was. But regardless, he got mullered in the rematch.

he was ahead in the fight on the cards and lost the rematch by two rounds.

Watch it on you tube. If you think he lost by 2 rounds, then you must be from the Ian John Lewis school of judging. Ditto as to him being ahead on the cards. Poison Jones was all wrong for MAB. He would always lost to him and twice on sundays.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 10:54 pm

Steffan wrote:
alma wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Doh

personally I like burns for the reasons listed above (apart from the boring bit).
I dont find him boring. He is just one of the more classier guys in boxing. Dont get me wrong I like Haye and Chisora type trash talk as well but its nice to hear a gentleman speak now and again

Burns has the personality of a dead wood and makes curling seem exciting. Guys like him are bad for boxing when there;s so much competition around from other sports. Wasn't he chased by some local hoodlums? Dont think they recognised him in his own village.

Nice guy though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 10:55 pm

alma wrote:I'm only going by the judges scorecards... Maybe IJL was whispering in their ears!

The official results was nearly a heist.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 11:03 pm

alma wrote:
azania wrote:
alma wrote:I'm only going by the judges scorecards... Maybe IJL was whispering in their ears!

The official results was nearly a heist.

mab had improved considerably by 2001 I imagine

He was a class act then. Jones was just bad for him. I'm not going to diss a boxer because another had his number. MAB was class, so was Naz. MAB was just better. No shame in losing to a better guy. Naz himself said so and was a good british loser in the post fight interview.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 18 May 2012, 11:09 pm

alma wrote:I used to work in Glasgow and people used to shout abuse at some of our staff purely because they were wearing a suit
I still do that now in Cardiff to be fair

It is normal aint it? Headscratch

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 May 2012, 11:42 pm

alma wrote:Burns does come from a particularly nasty area of Glasgow. I used to work in Glasgow and people used to shout abuse at some of our staff purely because they were wearing a suit

He was wearing a type of suit. A shell suit. The latest fashion apparel in glasgow it seems.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat 19 May 2012, 3:32 am

Glasgow is too much of a sh1hole. I think for boxing to take off again its got to be England. The other colonies like Scotland, Wales and Ireland dont have the same fanbase or infrasructure.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 19 May 2012, 4:26 am

i have mixed opinion on hamed... i loved watching him fight, i think he was highly talented and underachieved for that talent. He was also a character and there are not enough left in sport and boxing in particular.

However, character is often a euphemism for p**ck, and he does come across as a real grade A character

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 19 May 2012, 9:11 am

He was much more of a Character than Broner! But I agree he is an arse. But alot of people in the lower weights owe him thanks for recapturing waning interest When Oscar and co moved up to the middle weight categories.

Do you think Alis arrogance would have seen him fail so spectacularly had he not got the motivation provided by the injustice?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 19 May 2012, 10:00 am

Laugh It seems Im the character in this conversation

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Sun 20 May 2012, 1:45 am

I think Groves, Degale, Brook and Price are carrying the flag for the UK right now. Out of those four I would lead towards Price for a number of factors including the division he's fighting in regardless of it's pool of talent the HW division fires everyone up and the fact that he has that Kop passion behind him will put him in good stead.

Can Hattons void be filled is more so the question to be asked? I'm not so sure it can, he was a character in his own right which the 'everyman' could relate to in some way 'shape' or form.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 20 May 2012, 5:14 am

Gordy wrote:Glasgow is too much of a sh1hole. I think for boxing to take off again its got to be England. The other colonies like Scotland, Wales and Ireland dont have the same fanbase or infrasructure.
People like you are the very reason people like me have the bad attitude towards your nation thumbsup

I guess Calzaghe getting 50,000 spectators for the Kessler fight is a classic example of 'no fanbase or infrasructure'

You could be trolling I guess though. Or your just not very clever...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 21 May 2012, 8:40 am

i would say price, klitscho's wont be around for too much longer (especially vitali) his timing could be great. either get wlad on the way out where he's slowed enough to get tagged and punch resistance weakend or be hitting the scene just after them where all the titles would be up for grabs.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 27 May 2012, 8:39 pm

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:In all honesty, it'll be a very very long time, I'm not sure why Froch didn't tick all the boxes, arguably the second best in his division, exciting style... maybe it's the sly arrogance.

Could this come true???

Froch's stock would've risen immeasurably after last night!!

Froch could be the man to fill Hatton's void TRUSS angel

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 8:42 pm

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:
Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:In all honesty, it'll be a very very long time, I'm not sure why Froch didn't tick all the boxes, arguably the second best in his division, exciting style... maybe it's the sly arrogance.

Could this come true???

Froch's stock would've risen immeasurably after last night!!

Froch could be the man to fill Hatton's void TRUSS angel

clap clap

Brilliant

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 27 May 2012, 9:10 pm

Very Happy I foresee things Az... want the lottery numbers?

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 27 May 2012, 9:13 pm

Joking aside, Froch could be huge now... maybe not reach Hatton's status, (he isn't gonna be in a match-up with the P4P no1 and biggest star PPV wise). He trended worldwide after the fight btw.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 27 May 2012, 9:16 pm

Age isnt really on Frochs side though, is the only thing. Will he want to box on at 36 or 37 even if hes winning?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 27 May 2012, 9:23 pm

Froch is indeed the star of English boxing now. He has taken up the void Hatton left. Us Welsh are relying on Cleverly to up his opponents and fill the void left by Calzaghe. Burns would be great for the Scots if he gets a big fight. I still think Khan will be the main man for you English though in about 3-4 years time

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by ThunderFist Mon 28 May 2012, 11:49 am

Hatton is a manc, and nobody shows support like us mancs do.

He was a guy from a Hyde who spent a lot of time in and around the pubs in Hyde inbetween fights.

He was the peoples champ, shame he loved the booze and coke too much!

ThunderFist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2