The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Province Attendances This Season

+12
Mickado
profitius
Sin é
rodders
PenfroPete
BelfastNI
Rava
Notch
MrsP
Pot Hale
Artful_Dodger
Feckless Rogue
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Irish Province Attendances This Season Empty Irish Province Attendances This Season

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 17 May 2012, 8:21 pm

We're about to see two Irish teams contest the European Cup final and the PRO12 final will be played in Dublin. So I thought I'd look at the attendance figures for the provinces.

Munster

League Average = 15,421
- Musgrave Average = 7,896
- Thomond Average = 19,722

Heineken Cup Average = 26,375

Ulster

League Average = 8,349

Heineken Cup Average = 18,481
- Ravenhill Average = 9,593
- AVIVA 1 game = 45,147

Connacht

League Average = 4,653

Heineken Cup Average = 6,552

Leinster

League Average = 18,644
- RDS Average = 17,903
- AVIVA 1 game = 48,365

Heineken Cup Average = 33,282
- RDS Average = 18,212
- AVIVA Average = 48,632

Not surprisingly, Leinster are close to filling the RDS every week and nearly fill the AVIVA stadium for their annual home match with Munster as well as at least three HC games. Their only problem is that they don't own either ground. They're renting, so have to hand over a wad of attendance cash to the owners. Does anyone know if there's any possibility of Leinster building a new stadium? Or acquiring ownership of the RDS?

So Leinster have the biggest numbers. But if Munster played all their league games in Thomond they'd probably be slightly higher. And they pretty much completely sell out Thomond for every Heineken Cup game, despite the dip in their fortunes recently. That's a good sign. We couldn't have been sure the army of fans they won over the last ten years would stay if Munster declined on the field. But it looks like they still enjoy huge support.

I was actually surprised by how low Ulsters attendances were. They're not terrible. But I thought they'd be higher, given that Ulster have improved so much in the last two years. Why hasn't there been a corresponding growth in attendances? As it is they're just a little bit above the Welsh regions. Aren't they expanding Ravenhill to 18k? How will they double their support? Because that's what they'll have to do if they want to avoid large empty Welsh style spaces in the crowd. But they pulled a huge crowd to the HC semi in Dublin, which suggests the potential for bigger attendance figures is there.

Connachts attendances are very low. It's traditionally the province with the least interest in rugby. But I think they were actually lower in previous years, so at least they are growing. Attendances grew as the season went on too. And they seem to have about 3000 or so hardcore fans who'll turn up in any weather to watch Connacht take on any team. So they have something to keep building on. I think Elwood will build Connacht into a better side over the coming years and they'll keep a gradual improvement in attendance figures.

I think Ulster and Connacht could get much higher numbers. Munster and Leinster seem to be in grounds that are just the right size for them.

Last edited by Feckless Rogue on Thu 17 May 2012, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Irish Province Attendances This Season Empty Re: Irish Province Attendances This Season

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 17 May 2012, 8:24 pm

Getting to the final of the Heineken this season should give us a timely boost for next season, and as we are planning on getting to the knockouts stages next season as well, the average should push up.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Irish Province Attendances This Season Empty Re: Irish Province Attendances This Season

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 17 May 2012, 8:26 pm

Yeah, I remember looking at a graph of PRO12 attendances since it began. Munsters attendances exploded around 2006, and Leinsters around 2009. So maybe Ravenhill's expansion is very well timed.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 17 May 2012, 8:35 pm

And Ireland national attendances are probably falling in direct proportion as the gap widens between provincial and national performances.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 17 May 2012, 8:44 pm

Are Ulster just a little above the Welsh regions?

Do you have their figures?

I know the Scarlets get good numbers but do any of the other 3 come close to Ulster? I would indeed be surprised to hear that.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 17 May 2012, 8:46 pm

Pot Hale wrote:And Ireland national attendances are probably falling in direct proportion as the gap widens between provincial and national performances.

Not so sure - a lot of people that don't support the provinces will support Ireland, ie; people who aren't really rugby supporters but will support Ireland at anything.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 17 May 2012, 8:50 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:And Ireland national attendances are probably falling in direct proportion as the gap widens between provincial and national performances.

Not so sure - a lot of people that don't support the provinces will support Ireland, ie; people who aren't really rugby supporters but will support Ireland at anything.

And presumably vice versa too.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 17 May 2012, 8:53 pm

MrsP wrote:Are Ulster just a little above the Welsh regions?

I know the Scarlets get good numbers but do any of the other 3 come close to Ulster? I would indeed be surprised to hear that.

I get the impression we're a few thousand ahead but hardly huge amounts. We have an appropriately sized ground for demand atm. Logan is on record as being very disappointed with the lack of growth and I agree; I think our attendances have been disappointing by and large. They haven't increased at all on average although we've had better crowds in the second half of the season. Big crowds in our last two Pro12 home games against Aironi and Leinster. I think our two biggest home attendances in the Pro12 have been the two games we've played around the time of the quarter-final onwards. The warm-up to Thomond and the Aviva.

I wish we could have 8pm kick-offs. Would make it much easier for anyone outside Belfast to come to watch us play to be honest. Having an inconvenient time slot isn't the killer, but combined with free to air TV coverage certainly means people aren't going to be fighting and rushing to make it live if they don't have to.

I would like us to negotiate later kick off times with BBC NI. I do think we'll see some growth next year.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 17 May 2012, 10:19 pm

Notch wrote:

I get the impression we're a few thousand ahead but hardly huge amounts. We have an appropriately sized ground for demand atm. Logan is on record as being very disappointed with the lack of growth and I agree; I think our attendances have been disappointing by and large. They haven't increased at all on average although we've had better crowds in the second half of the season. Big crowds in our last two Pro12 home games against Aironi and Leinster. I think our two biggest home attendances in the Pro12 have been the two games we've played around the time of the quarter-final onwards. The warm-up to Thomond and the Aviva.

I wish we could have 8pm kick-offs. Would make it much easier for anyone outside Belfast to come to watch us play to be honest. Having an inconvenient time slot isn't the killer, but combined with free to air TV coverage certainly means people aren't going to be fighting and rushing to make it live if they don't have to.

I would like us to negotiate later kick off times with BBC NI. I do think we'll see some growth next year.

BBC are the biggest obstacle to increased attendances.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by BelfastNI Thu 17 May 2012, 10:31 pm

Agree with the above - sometimes having the BBC option is irresistible on a cold, wet night or at the end if the month when you've spent more than you've planned to.
It has helped generate new interest in Ulster Rugby, but it may be time to pull the plug on BBC and attempt to reap some revenue from those new fans.

BelfastNI

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 17 May 2012, 10:33 pm

NOT according to this
NB - I cannot vouch for the accuracy (I mean they even have just Llanelli Rolling Eyes ) and these are Rabo Direct Pro 12 only OK

http://www.statbunker.com/rugby/btb/index.php?PL=competition&CompID=394&statType=home_Att
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 17 May 2012, 10:56 pm

I got my figures from the PRO12 website. They give the attendance of each game on the Fixtures & Results page. I worked out the averages myself. I've gone over it again, but I can't see how mine has Ulsters average at a thousand higher than Pete's link. The Ulster Rugby website has the same figures as the PRO12 one.

Anyway it doesn't really matter. My point was, that Ulsters figures are a bit lower than I expected. Although over the history of the Celtic league I think they've stayed remarkably steady.

Here's that graph I was talking about. Goes up the the 10-11 season.

Spoiler:

In the first season, Munster and Leinsters attendances were lower than Glasgows! So it shows that big increases are possible. Even if the regions and Ulster are finding it frustratingly difficult get those big increases.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 17 May 2012, 10:57 pm

Notch wrote:
I wish we could have 8pm kick-offs. Would make it much easier for anyone outside Belfast to come to watch us play to be honest.

Absolutely, I'd come to a 3rd more games if KO was at 7.45pm or there were more Saturday afternoon/evening games. I'd imagine we must lose out on away supporters too?

That said I love the Friday night games, maybe I'll just move to Belfast and buy a season ticket.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 17 May 2012, 11:13 pm

Nah just move to Ballymoney and travel with me Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 17 May 2012, 11:16 pm

Laugh ...one can only dream Rava! guinness Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 17 May 2012, 11:17 pm

Here Rodders, make sure you shave on Saturday morning Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 17 May 2012, 11:19 pm

Goes without saying Rava Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 17 May 2012, 11:30 pm

Ulsters average attendance in a season where they reached the Heineken Cup final is lower than the season they nearly finished behind Connacht. Is the fact games now have terrestrial TV coverage the main factor? It's pretty shocking.

We were terrible in 07/08. But games started later and were not televised. Now we have a very good team but we basically play at a time which makes it a massive hassle for anyone outside Belfast to attend our games and all our matches are free to air. The viewing figures for Ulster Rugby Live are, I understand, quite good. There is definitely way more interest in the team than 2007/2008.

It's something we might see improve next year, but we definitely need to try and get our games kicking off later. These 7.05 kick offs are terrible for our fans outside Belfast.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 17 May 2012, 11:57 pm

The out of Belfast fans getting to the games has been well discussed but surely there must be more greater Belfast based fans who aren't going to the games too Notch?

Definitely we need to double our attendance. I'm pretty positive we can but Ulster need to really identify the reasons why people aren't going and address the issues because the interest is there.

Ticket price has been mentioned before, price of family tickets, student concessions etc... theres a lot of work to be done.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 18 May 2012, 12:08 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:

Not surprisingly, Leinster are close to filling the RDS every week and nearly fill the AVIVA stadium for their annual home match with Munster as well as at least three HC games. Their only problem is that they don't own either ground. They're renting, so have to hand over a wad of attendance cash to the owners. Does anyone know if there's any possibility of Leinster building a new stadium? Or acquiring ownership of the RDS?

Don't think so. RDS are planning a €17m upgrade at the moment. Hoping to sell the naming rights.

The society continues to press ahead with plans to sell the naming rights to its main arena, where Leinster rugby plays its home matches. The funds would be used to help fund a proposed €17 million redevelopment of the stadium that would boost capacity to 23,000.

“There are a number of parties that we’re engaged with at the moment, but the process still has some time to run,” Mr Duffy added.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0420/1224314968405.html

Also see from that report that the IRB have leased their offices from them on Simmonscourt Road. Think the B+I Lions hang out there as well!

PS - I know Leinster are doing well, but its unlikely that a 281 year old institution (which is what the RDS is) would sell out now to Leinster Rugby Smile
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 18 May 2012, 2:17 am

Leinster would be better off building their own stadium. The problem is they won't budge from south Dublin.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 18 May 2012, 6:59 am

The naming rights for the RDS are thought to be worth 15-20m*, which is due in no small part to Leinster playing most of thier home games there (feic all else happens there until the summer). So if they stay there they get a free stadium upgrade essentially. They do rent but it makes a lot of sense for the finances right now.

*theyre only selling the name of the arena where we play, not the whole complex.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 18 May 2012, 8:14 am

The figures in that statbunker link are just that bunk.
If you do the maths the Ulster figures done add up.

From what I have seen we are behind Scarlets, just above the Blues and comfortably above Ospreys and Dragons.

Tv has hit us as has the earlier kick off time.

However good news to report - there has been a significant increase in season ticket interest for next year - looking like a 33% increase so expect our crowds to rise.

That is the benefit of success - I predict we will average close to 10000 next year.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Irish Province Attendances This Season Empty Formatting

Post by Mickado Fri 18 May 2012, 8:29 am

Team Location Average Attn.
Aironi Stadio Zaffanella3503
Blues CCS 7811
Connacht Sportsground 4653
Dragons Rodney Parade6098
EdinburghMurrayfield 4135
Leinster Aviva Stadium 48365
Leinster RDS 15306
Leinster Total 18312
Munster Musgrave Park 7896
Munster Thomond Park 19722
Munster Total 15421
Ospreys Liberty Stadium 7686
Scarlets Parc y Scarlets 9006
Treviso Stadio di Monigo 3900
Ulster Ravenhill 8386
Warriors Firhill 4016

Last edited by Mickado on Fri 18 May 2012, 9:30 am; edited 4 times in total

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 18 May 2012, 8:33 am

Thanks they are the figures I have seen

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 18 May 2012, 9:04 am

I still don't think those figures are correct.

Where did you get them Bikkies?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 18 May 2012, 9:14 am

MrsP wrote:I still don't think those figures are correct.

Where did you get them Bikkies?

I have them on a spreadsheet MrsP, the averages weren't pulling from the last two games. Will update momentarily.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 18 May 2012, 9:18 am

Updated now.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 18 May 2012, 9:19 am

There is no figure listed for the Ulster v Leinster match but it was a sell out so it was 11,900 bar a couple.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 18 May 2012, 9:20 am

But, where did you get the data?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 18 May 2012, 9:21 am

MrsP wrote:There is no figure listed for the Ulster v Leinster match but it was a sell out so it was 11,900 bar a couple.

No official attendance listed. But i got a figure of 10k exactly from somewhere.

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/13860.php

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 18 May 2012, 9:24 am

There are a few surprises there.

- Cardiff Blues had more fans than the Ospreys.
- Scarlets had more fans than Ulster.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 18 May 2012, 9:26 am

Bikkies.

It was definately a sell out.

Ask Rodders. Him and MrP ended up standing behind the goal posts as they were the only tickets left.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 18 May 2012, 9:30 am

Ok, well a sell out with up the average from 8213 to 8386.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 18 May 2012, 9:30 am

That's what I had!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 18 May 2012, 9:32 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17739308

Attendance listed by BBC as 10,500

red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 18 May 2012, 9:35 am

That's just nonsense Stag.

I was there and Rodders nearly didn't get a ticket.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 18 May 2012, 9:37 am

MrsP wrote:That's just nonsense Stag.

Well I'm guessing the BBC didn't make up the figure. The fact Rodders nearly didnt get a ticket is not proof to me that the attendance was 11,900
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 18 May 2012, 9:38 am

I don't know where it came from but neither the Rabo site nor UR have figures for it and it is a suspiciously round number so....

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 18 May 2012, 9:49 am

Anyway,

the great news is that the gates for the second half of the season were significantly better than the first half so things are improving!!!!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 18 May 2012, 9:52 am

red_stag wrote:

Well I'm guessing the BBC didn't make up the figure. The fact Rodders nearly didnt get a ticket is not proof to me that the attendance was 11,900

Stag I'm shocked you'd trust the beeb over Mrs P! Shocked .... Whistle

Definitely there were more than 10,500... the Terrace and promenade were sold out before the game.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 May 2012, 9:53 am

Jaysus, you must be accurate or MrsP will have you Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 18 May 2012, 9:54 am

I don't know about the accuracy of these figures, but I don't care if were a few hundred short of selling out against Leinster or a thousand short. I think we're slightly higher than the reported attendance for that one but it's more important to me the trend of our attendances rising throughout the season continues into next year.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 18 May 2012, 9:58 am

Lads!

MrP was down trying to get 2 extra tickets for that game and it was virtually sold out by that stage.

But Stag is just being a rascal!

Again!!!!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 May 2012, 9:58 am

It is excellent news for Ulster that attendances are on the rise. They have played some attractive rugby this last eason so its good for them that is resulting in extra interest from the general public.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 18 May 2012, 10:01 am

eirebilly wrote:It is excellent news for Ulster that attendances are on the rise. They have played some attractive rugby this last eason so its good for them that is resulting in extra interest from the general public.

Attendances have bee on the rise throughout the season, slowly, but the wider trend is that attendances have stagnated over the past few years. But hopefully the increase in season ticket sales will make 2012/2013 a big year of growth.

Mind you, I wouldn't put too much store in the official attendances before Logan. I'd say there's certainly some massaging of the truth. Call it the Ospreys approach! Whistle
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 18 May 2012, 10:03 am

It was so busy Devin Toner had to dress as Sparky to get into the ground.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 May 2012, 10:04 am

I am just really happy for Ulster that their sucess is being seen in the increace of attendance Notch.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 18 May 2012, 10:04 am

red_stag wrote:

The game was a sell out all tickets sold - dont care what the BBC say.

As mentioned their has been an upturn towards the end of the year - over 10000 against Aironi in the Pro12 for example

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 18 May 2012, 10:04 am

Sold out or not, it doesn't make much differnce to the season average.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next