The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulating Rob Kearney

+8
rodders
RubyGuby
Biltong
disneychilly
bluestonevedder
offload
eirebilly
anotherworldofpain
12 posters

Go down

Congratulating Rob Kearney Empty Congratulating Rob Kearney

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 22 May - 9:49

I join with all to congratulating this fine player on Europe player of the year.

I think no one can argue this is the correct and obvious choose.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Congratulating Rob Kearney Empty Re: Congratulating Rob Kearney

Post by eirebilly Tue 22 May - 9:55

No question about it. He has been the standout player clap
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 22 May - 9:56

Yes, no argument on that decision. Very worthy winner. His form has been outstanding and he is possibly the number 1 fullback in the world at the moment - some I'm sure will disagree.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 22 May - 10:03

Brilliant player and so glad he has returned to his prominent form since his injury. I still can't get over that drop goal attempt against England in the 6N. Phenomenal stuff.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 May - 10:08

Look forward to seeing his 'game' during the upcoming tests against the ABs. See what he's made of as world's best players tend to stand out regardless of team performance. What's his strengths if you don't mind me asking?

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 22 May - 10:10

He reminds me of Chris Latham a lot, he's not quite as quick though and Latham had an even bigger boot. Fantastic in the air which is why Jane's injury is a big blow for us as they'll look to target us in the air. I can see Ben Smith getting a start in black now.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 May - 10:15

In my view Kearney is the greatest exponent of the highball this year, Bjorn Basson is probably the best in the SH, but not as good as Kearney.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 May - 10:18

Urghh, comparisons with Latham sends shivers down my spine, fantastic player.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 22 May - 11:11

Great shout - well done Kearney, you play the game with great spirit and remain an inspiration to others watching - You are a player kids will want to emulate - well deserved thumbsup guinness Leprechaun

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 22 May - 11:21

clap Well done Rob. Hes been a revelation this season. guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 22 May - 11:29

It will be interesting see him go out against Israel Dagg who is player of contrasting style but also very good aeriale fullback.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 22 May - 11:42

An advantage that Dagg and Beale have over Kearney is that they are both very unpredictable when they have the ball. Kearney is a strong runner but doesn't have the elusiveness or flat out pace of the others. I'd say Kearney just shades dagg in the air. Just sucks Jane and Kahui are out-NZ were supreme in the air when Aussie bombarded them in the WC semi and two thirds out of the back tree are out.

It's up to the NZ pack though to get go forward and give Ireland rubbish ball with which to kick. If Sexton and Kearney get the ball and McCaw at the same time then kicking to that strength will turn into a huge risk. Savea is raw but jeepers he'll kill you in broken play as will Dagg.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 22 May - 11:46

Yes Disneychilly but in my mind NZ also missed the strike runner in RWC because they option for so many fullback style wings and could do the fast finishing from years of Lomu or Sivivatu or Rokocoko so I think option for Savea or Gear or Guildford adding the new dimensionals to the attack

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 May - 11:50

disneychilly wrote:An advantage that Dagg and Beale have over Kearney is that they are both very unpredictable when they have the ball. Kearney is a strong runner but doesn't have the elusiveness or flat out pace of the others. I'd say Kearney just shades dagg in the air. Just sucks Jane and Kahui are out-NZ were supreme in the air when Aussie bombarded them in the WC semi and two thirds out of the back tree are out.

It's up to the NZ pack though to get go forward and give Ireland rubbish ball with which to kick. If Sexton and Kearney get the ball and McCaw at the same time then kicking to that strength will turn into a huge risk. Savea is raw but jeepers he'll kill you in broken play as will Dagg.

I would have agreed with you in the past, but Kearney has improved dramatically on his counterattacking ability. He too is very unpredictable, something he didn't really have before. Teams fear going against him now, he is a danger. Might not have the same pace though.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 22 May - 12:10

Yes, a really classy player.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 22 May - 12:13

I don't like Guildford. I wish all our wingers had his workrate but I don't think he is penetrating enough (gas isn't everything and we have others that are bloody quick too).I agree and think we need someone with an X-Factor on one wing if we're going to have a complete footballer in Jane on the other. Don't get me wrong Jane has a definite X-Factor-the best fend in the game and his sevens experience helps him set up so many tries beautifully. It was pragmatism that convinced Henry to start three complete footballers and to be honest it came up trumps in the semi.

Rory I agree that he is a lot more dangerous now but not quite at the level of Dagg and Beale in terms of straight out danger. Those two are the most dangerous in the game though so I don't want to imply Kearney isn't dangerous at all.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 22 May - 13:09

Always good to see players come back well from injury. Players like Cullen were a lesser shadow of their former selves after injury. I expect Ireland to use the Gary Owen as an attacking tool (Guilford had a shocker against Australia in that area) but I agree that Kearney has more to his game than just catching the high ball.

I also agree much will depend on the ball Ireland can get. It's much easier to tactically kick with time and space than when you're pressured and have three players bearing down on you. Fudge your kicks too long and that back three for NZ may well run it back with interest though Dagg has a sweet punt on him.

So good on your RK and well done Ireland for scoring two European players in a row. That's all the compliments you´ll get from me as we're at war in a couple of weeks. Kiwi boxing guinness

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 22 May - 13:19

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Always good to see players come back well from injury. Players like Cullen were a lesser shadow of their former selves after injury. I expect Ireland to use the Gary Owen as an attacking tool (Guilford had a shocker against Australia in that area) but I agree that Kearney has more to his game than just catching the high ball.

I also agree much will depend on the ball Ireland can get. It's much easier to tactically kick with time and space than when you're pressured and have three players bearing down on you. Fudge your kicks too long and that back three for NZ may well run it back with interest though Dagg has a sweet punt on him.

So good on your RK and well done Ireland for scoring two European players in a row. That's all the compliments you´ll get from me as we're at war in a couple of weeks. Kiwi boxing guinness

It is in fact our go to play and we usually try at least 6 to 8 of them each match,Kidney seems to have instructed anyone running back a kick that they either break the line or kick it long setting up a ruck and building pressure isn't an option Ireland use.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 22 May - 13:36

Though apart from the last game in Ireland where Ireland played very well, I think Ireland have played their best attacking games in Ireland. I think they scored 4 tries last time round with one man sent off very early. Maybe it´s the pressure lifted off them being away from home or the mentality that they have nothing to lose. But yes it would be nice if Ireland were a bit more varied in their attack like they showed in glimpses this 6N.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 22 May - 13:45

Ireland score a lot of try last time in all black country. But also problem was that all blacks scored three times more. Might be look how is the defender and where is the platform making in the front. The back row is good form but I think they might issue in the lineout and the scrum.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down