The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Noel Brown v Rob Kearney

+32
Poorfour
SecretFly
ChequeredJersey
Sgt_Pooly
No 7&1/2
kunu
Scratch
Hood83
lostinwales
Scrumpy
butterfingers
Exiledinborders
majesticimperialman
sickofwendy
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Notch
The Saint
footsoldier1978
Breadvan
Cyril
Geordie
Hound of Harrow
WELL-PAST-IT
fa0019
rodders
dummy_half
slane
yappysnap
profitius
Barney McGrew did it
GunsGerms
GloriousEmpire
36 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Michael Noel Brown v Rob Kearney Empty Michael Noel Brown v Rob Kearney

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:25 pm

As it says on the tin ,
Who is the better?

Back to top Go down

Michael Noel Brown v Rob Kearney Empty Re: Michael Noel Brown v Rob Kearney

Post by Cyril Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:27 pm

No poll Sad

Seriously though, it's always a pleasure when a valued poster such as yourself puts in the work and provides a detailed, thoughtful analysis.

It's what makes this forum great.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Always a pleasure when a poster makes the effort to add something to the thread rather than mocking the OP.

My feeling is Kearny has proven himself. Brown has promise, but is currently experiencing the standard wave of English hyperbole. I notice that like Ashton he can pop up and for down a few against a side like Italy but yet be found wanting when France strike a killer blow late on.

It's usual for players who offer something different to their team to have a brief honeymoon. However as analysis kicks in, even the Ben smith's of the world can find the going gets harder.

When brown has been around as long as Kearney then we will have a better comparison. Until now, stick with the weight of experience and proven track record over flash in the pan promise.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:34 pm

I don't know how to do a poll, tell me how and I will.

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:36 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Always a pleasure when a poster makes the effort to add something to the thread rather than mocking the OP.

My feeling is Kearny has proven himself. Brown has promise, but is currently experiencing the standard wave of English hyperbole. I notice that like Ashton he can pop up and for down a few against a side like Italy but yet be found wanting when France strike a killer blow late on.  

It's usual for players who offer something different to their team to have a brief honeymoon. However as analysis kicks in, even the Ben smith's of the world can find the going gets harder.

When brown has been around as long as Kearney then we will have a better comparison. Until now, stick with the weight of experience and proven track record over flash in the pan promise.
teams win and lose games not individuals.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:37 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Always a pleasure when a poster makes the effort to add something to the thread rather than mocking the OP.

Probably a fair analysis, though Brown's current form and impact is clearly greater we'd need some time to see if he continues this, like he has for Quins for several years, to really rate him. I suspect he will keep improving, frankly, and he did actually score out of position against France despite that little pop by GE, but he hasn't proven longevity yet, mostly because he was picked out of position. If he outplays Dagg in NZ that will be a big marker though, and like Robshaw he has edged his "personal battles" in pretty much every match
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:38 pm

Welcome back GE. You've been missed during your latest 'sabbatical'. Just a week this time?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:39 pm

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:

teams win and lose games not individuals.

Also true
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:45 pm

So let's say Brown or Kearney played full back in the 2005-2006 all black team "in my opinion the best team I have ever seen" so they could completely flourish with in such greatness who would make the best impact?

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:47 pm

They both have different strengths. I'd pick Brown 100 times out of 100 but I'm doubly biased by Club and Country.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Regarding GE flash in the pan comment ,I don't agree, Brown has been very good for a fair few years and if it won't for some on tour antics he would have been a well established international full back by now.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Brown has improved at Int level as a FB though. Admittedly this is his first string of starts, but his quality has largely been at Club level, where he has been exceptionally consistent
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:09 pm

It surprised me to find out that Brown is older than Kearney.  One is considerd a bit of a veteran really at this stage with over 50 caps.  The other is marketed as the 'new kid on the block' in a new and excitingly mobile England

How I'd rank them?  Well I guess both of them are wired into different systems and work well within those systems.  I think Brown certainly has a powerful turn of speed and seems to be at his most lethal from half way.

Kearney can appear ineffectual in his own half and in the middle of the field, but in the opposition half and closer still (opposition 22) that's often his lethal zone.

Kearney has learned to calm down from his earlier displays of high jinx daring do and team plays more....some might say a pity the showboat stuff has died off.  
Brown, on the other hand, is enjoying his "here I am" phase.  He'll be worked on more now by opposition.  When you shine, you pick up attention.  So, yes, it's too early to compare.  But for now Brown is an explosive player and I do like them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Luckily Brown's basics are rock-solid! Was annoyed we never got to see Brown and Kearney go for the same highball, but then I suppose neither side was exactly going to be picking those players as the ones to target there...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Brown was weak enough last year probably because he was picked on the wing. He has been a good club player for a long time but it took him over 20 test caps to score a try. Not a great record albeit he has improved a massive amount in this campaign bagging his first 4 trys of his career.

Rob Kearney also had a good tournament, is younger yet has been good enough to be a two time lions tourist, European player of the year winner, three time heineken cup winner and double six nations winner. Surely that answers the question?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:24 pm

Once again, are we talking about right now, in their careers so far, in terms of what they can accomplish? I don't think it answers the question. The HEC bit is not that relevant as Brown hasn't had the luxury of playing for Leinster, and he was never going to go with the Lions being played out on the wing

Kearney has had the better start to his career and the better career by far so far, but neither's career is over by a long way, and right now Brown is playing better, so the answer to the question depends, like the Ireland-England thread, on how you interpret it.

I'd never trade Brown for Kearney for Eng or Quins, and wouldn't have 2-3 seasons ago either (now it just happens that my long-held regard for a player is finally given the chance to be vindicated), but I doubt Leinster fans would swap in Brown either
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:33 pm

I always thought Foden was England's most complete No.15 of the last decade, what ever happened to him?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:37 pm

He got injured. Then got injured again. Then hasn't hit his best form but I imagine he'll play 23 now that he's back, offers different things to Brown, although I strongly object that's he's more complete than Brown, and really strongly object that he's more complete than Lewsey or Billy Whizz. Excellent player and attacker, very good at bringing in other players and good tackler if not positional defender though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:49 pm

Oh oh I think I know this one. Is it Halfpenny?
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Both good in attack, Kearneys better under the high ball, both not great in defence.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:34 pm

I disagree with half of that (think Kearney might be a shade better under the high ball but Brown is exceptionally good there too) and both are good defenders at Fullback
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Do you think mike brown will be approaching Chris Ashton's publisher with his forthcoming book?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Don't know, can Brown write?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:48 pm

Brown is better than Kearney IMO. He offers more in attack and probably a better tackler. Kearney would be more solid. Other people would choose Kearney which is fair enough. Horses for courses.

Last year I picked Huget as the best fullback in that 6 nations. Thought he was superb then so it was interesting to see France play him on the wing.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:50 pm

He scored a lot on the wing and Dulin is a classy player to have at FB.

Buttin is the French future though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Thing is last year even out of position on the wing Brown still made serious yardage every game. Rubbish at turning that into points but then since the glory days of Ashton we havent exactly got the best out of our wings

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:18 am

Brown is better because Kearney or 'chilli' as he's known to his mates and stalkers on here, doesn't have a middle name.  Just plain old Bob Kearney.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:20 am

Shame it's not Rob O'Kearney, ROK would take him far beyond Brown's reach.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35 am

Brown is a god and Kearney an insect looking up in fear at his boot. Settled.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:59 am

I think both players are equal and it's a bit like the whos better between Ireland and England thread, I would say (as an Ireland fan) that for me Brown edged it in this years but both players bring different skills for example if you want someone who is good under high ball, kicking off the left boot, kicking long range drop goals and is clinical in the opponent's 22 Kearney is your man, whereas if you want someone who can score from anywhere rugby field and some who opponents fear kicking the ball to Browns your man, i'm sure English fans can add more of his skill set here but you get the idea, both players are best full-backs in the NH as far as I see it.

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:00 am

I think both players are equal and it's a bit like the whos better between Ireland and England thread, I would say (as an Ireland fan) that for me Brown edged it in this years 6 Nations (he was England's best player) but both players bring different skills for example if you want someone who is good under high ball, kicking off the left boot, kicking long range drop goals and is clinical in the opponent's 22 Kearney is your man, whereas if you want someone who can score from anywhere rugby field and some who opponents fear kicking the ball to Browns your man, i'm sure English fans can add more of his skill set here but you get the idea, both players are best full-backs in the NH as far as I see it.

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:29 am

Based on this year's 6Ns, Brown has been the more outstanding of the two although Kearney has put is some excellent performances (even Brian Moore was eulogising about him in the England v Ireland game). Longer term Kearney has performed better at a higher level.

Both are very good at the full back basics - taking the high ball and clearing from defence. Brown probably a better open field tackler, but neither of them are exactly JPR reincarnated in that regard (I think it's much harder now for full backs simply because of the speed of the game). Kearney is probably the best chaser and catcher of an attacking kick in the game.

Both good broken field runners, although at the moment Brown has more confidence. Before the last couple of matches I'd have said Kearney is better at joining the attacking line, but Brown has done this to good effect in setting up Care's try v Wales and then for his two tries and assist for Nowell in Rome.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Barney McGrew did it wrote:Shame it's not Rob O'Kearney, ROK would take him far beyond Brown's reach.

This could be the way forward  chin Schmidt should only pick the Os, so you'll have a team full of acronyms.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Brown is better.

Rob K needs to realise that throwing a dummy before counterattacking works much better if a) there's a  defender to dummy to b) you don't run with the ball under one arm and c) he actually did pass the ball whilst running. Ever.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:59 pm

rodders wrote:Brown is better.

Rob K needs to realise that throwing a dummy before counterattacking works much better if a) there's a  defender to dummy to b) you don't run with the ball under one arm and c) he actually did pass the ball whilst running. Ever.

Perhaps he needs lessond from Dylan Hartley - I thnk he's passed the ball more in this 6Ns than in his previous 40-odd internationals.

Oh, and if we are running it as a training session, can we send Manu along too...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Willie Le Roux! Wink

At the moment I would say Brown.

To be honest at the moment I wonder who I would select over Brown from the world... perhaps Folau, thats it.

The guy is playing sublime rugby at the moment.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:13 pm

He's been playing that level of rugby for several years now FA...hes just never been picked internationally for whatever reason...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:14 pm

That's right, people, get on the bandwagon. Some of us have had season passes for a while now...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:43 pm

Breadvan wrote:
Barney McGrew did it wrote:Shame it's not Rob O'Kearney, ROK would take him far beyond Brown's reach.

This could be the way forward  chin Schmidt should only pick the Os, so you'll have a team full of acronyms.

Ciaran O'Callaghan, future world class 12, doesn't like the idea.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33 pm

Personally I think both are pretty average and people just wet their pants in excitement far to easy when a player runs with the ball.

Neither are fit to shine halfpenny's boots and defiantly not lee Byrnes,even hook is better at full back.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:34 pm

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Personally I think both are pretty average and people just wet their pants in excitement far to easy when a player runs with the ball.

Neither are fit to shine halfpenny's boots and defiantly not lee Byrnes,even hook is better at full back.

Laugh

Ah. It's been a hard day, thanks for the laugh!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:38 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Personally I think both are pretty average and people just wet their pants in excitement far to easy when a player runs with the ball.

Laugh

Ah. It's been a hard day, thanks for the laugh!
I'm just glad View is back on the site after his Internet outage. It's amazing how badly it affected some Welsh posters a couple of weeks ago. Welcome back Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:53 am

Cyril wrote: It's amazing how badly it affected some Welsh posters a couple of weeks ago. Welcome back Smile

Snoooreeee! zzzzzzzzz Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Welcome back too Saint. That was a VERY quiet week Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Cyril,

Some of us like it quiet, we are getting to the age when loud noises are not good for us.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:13 pm

picard Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Saint, keep it down, will you!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Brown has now added those elements to his game for England that Foden was better at - joining the attack at the right time, and distribution.

But both Brown and Kearney do a fantastic job for club and country.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:28 pm

The Saint wrote:picard Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record Broken Record 

I have taken my hearing aids out. SHOUT AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:39 pm

Broken Record 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content