The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martin Kelly called up for England friendly

5 posters

Go down

Martin Kelly called up for England friendly Empty Martin Kelly called up for England friendly

Post by Crimey Wed 23 May 2012, 10:01 am

Liverpool's Martin Kelly called up by England ahead of Oslo friendly

Liverpool defender Martin Kelly has been added to the England squad ahead of Saturday's friendly with Norway.
England manager Roy Hodgson has returned to his former club by drafting in Kelly to provide cover for the pre-Euro 2012 warm-up in Oslo.
Chelsea trio John Terry, Ashley Cole and Gary Cahill have been given extra time off following the Champions League win over Bayern Munich.

Kelly, 22, has made six appearances for England under-21s, scoring three times. The Football Association confirmed that Kelly will return to Liverpool after the Norway fixture.

source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18169837

I'm delighted for Kelly who I felt hasn't really got the recognition he deserves outside of Liverpool fans because I think he's developing into a brilliant all round defender who I'd be happy to see at right back or centre back for Liverpool.

It does beg the question as to what Micah Richards has to do to get anywhere near the England squad, because Richards is probably closer to Martin Kelly than any other full back in terms of where and how they play. Presumably it's because it's just a friendly, but if one of Cole, Terry or Cahill were now to drop out, it seems like it would be Kelly to be put into the squad rather than Richards, I think something must have happened for Richards to get so snubbed.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Martin Kelly called up for England friendly Empty Re: Martin Kelly called up for England friendly

Post by The Special Juan Wed 23 May 2012, 12:49 pm

I'd have Richards over Walker and Kelly, especially for the fact that Richards is an emergency CB.

I like Kelly, don't think he'll ever be an England or Liverpool great but he looks solid when I've seen him play.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Martin Kelly called up for England friendly Empty Re: Martin Kelly called up for England friendly

Post by The Special Juan Wed 23 May 2012, 12:49 pm

Bad with injuries though, isn't he?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 23 May 2012, 1:31 pm

Earlier in his career, he had a few niggles last year, but almost every player does, he seems to have gotten over the worst of his injuries- same with Daniel Agger.

There are some talk that it may have been something to do with Benitez why a lot of Liverpool players had bad injuries. He tried weird ways of combating it- like horse placenta...

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marsh Wed 23 May 2012, 2:12 pm

Its a strange one for me, I don't mind Kelly but there a few English defenders I'd put in ahead of him (Jags, Richards, Dawson if fit etc)

I can only assume he's been called up to get experience of the whole setup as they look towards future squads, as I'm sure Jagielka was the original defensive backup when the squad was announced, and so you'd have thought that he'd have been the one called up to cover any injuries, holidays, food poisionings, kidnappings & general not being there

Last edited by Marshall on Wed 23 May 2012, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 23 May 2012, 2:23 pm

It's not for injuries though, it's because the Chelsea players have been given an extra week off.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 23 May 2012, 2:47 pm

I'd assume Roy wants a look at Kelly as hes more of an unknown than Richards
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 3:04 pm

Seriously dont understand this, I know he's only there for training but surely you would select one of the replacements. How Richards is no where near this squad is beyond me, instead we have to put up with these horrifically underperforming Liverpool players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 23 May 2012, 3:05 pm

Granted Downing, Carroll and Henderson and even possibly Gerrard unperformed. But Glen Johnson and Martin Kelly have had good season, Liverpool's defence is the third best in the league, it's up front and midfield that the real problems lie.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down