The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coaching Murray May Harm Lendl

4 posters

Go down

Coaching Murray May Harm Lendl Empty Coaching Murray May Harm Lendl

Post by hawkeye Thu 24 May 2012, 7:02 am

We all may have our views on the Lendl Murray coaching partnership but Tomas Berdych a fellow Czech has a different perspective. In an article in todays Times (sorry no link as it's PPV) he speculates how the relationship may affect Lendl rather than Murray. The article also indicates that Berdych and Lendl not surprisingly keep in touch saying that Lendl sends Berdych encouraging texts and that they have a fierce mutual regard.

This is what Berdych has to say. He doesn't mince his words as he even throws in the word "destroy" only to retract it

“I have thought why did Lendl need to do it, he has done so much already in his career and to be taking this kind of work when the borderline [between success and failure] is so thin,” Berdych said. “It could be you are OK, you are a hero who made Murray into a grand-slam winner, but if it is not like that, I don’t use the word ‘destroy’, but it may harm all the results you have done in the past.”

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Coaching Murray May Harm Lendl Empty Re: Coaching Murray May Harm Lendl

Post by bogbrush Thu 24 May 2012, 8:51 am

It's a fair point, and characteristically blunt of Berdy to talk this way. I guess when you're the size he is it's no problem to tell it as you see it.

There is downside to Lendl in this; it'll be very easy for this to be seen as his failure.

The real relationship seems much more one of "consultant" rather than "coach"; after all, a coach would be expected to be around a lot. As consultant he would be available to offer a guide through the decisions Andy faces, and watching him play so often wouldn't be essential. It would be better for Lendl if that was clear because at least then if it doesn't work out he is relatively untainted.

PS Very refreshing to see hawkeye writing about Murray! We need more variety on this forum and seeing posters explore topics they don't normally show interest in is very welcome.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 9:14 am

I think Berdy's comments are very crafty. Whilst he makes a very valid point it is good to also place some of the focus and pressure on Lendl himself. Given Berdy's current position in the rankings and his recent form over Murray he is turning the screw which I like.

Like BB alluded to. The success should not just be measured by the results, but also by how effective they have been working together and little improvements in Murray's game.

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 24 May 2012, 9:31 am

Interesting sentiments from Berdych.
To an extent he's right in saying it would be great for Lendl if Murray did win a GS, he could take a lot of credit. But even if Murray didn't win I don't necessarily think it would stain Lendls legacy, people would just point to Murray and say he wasn't good enough.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 24 May 2012, 9:33 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Interesting sentiments from Berdych.
To an extent he's right in saying it would be great for Lendl if Murray did win a GS, he could take a lot of credit. But even if Murray didn't win I don't necessarily think it would stain Lendls legacy, people would just point to Murray and say he wasn't good enough.

Exactly. If Murray had already won a slam or two then Lendl came along and the slams dried up then that would be different and people may disparage Lendl's efforts.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 24 May 2012, 9:50 am

Craig clap

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 9:55 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Interesting sentiments from Berdych.

In my opinion Berdy is just cranking the screw on Lendl and Murray. Connors moved into coaching and despite that failure hasn't tarnished his legacy.

It's very brave for Berdych to make such comments because they could have the reverse effect and serve as an even bigger motivation to both Lendl and Murray.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 24 May 2012, 10:14 am

Berdych has never been shy of annoying people. He's still a legend in my eyes for telling the Spanish crowd to shut up while he was beating Nadal in Madrid.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 10:30 am

bogbrush wrote:Berdych has never been shy of annoying people. He's still a legend in my eyes for telling the Spanish crowd to shut up while he was beating Nadal in Madrid.

That was epic. Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down