The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good old Glen

+8
Steffan
sodhat
Josef K.
Union Cane
Seanusarrilius
88Chris05
hampo17
JabMachineMK2
12 posters

Go down

Good old Glen Empty Good old Glen

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 29 May 2012, 4:28 pm

Just when you thought his garbage wouldn't get any worse:

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,13275_7783765,00.html

"Carl Froch can lay serious claim to being the greatest British boxer of all time.

There are guys like former middleweight, Randy Turpin, who had to beat some of the best fighters to walk God's earth, while in modern terms you'd also look at the trio of Lennox Lewis, Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe.
King Cobra: Froch tore the IBF super-middleweight strap from Bute in Nottingham

However, Lewis was knocked out twice by average fighters in Hasim Rahman and Oliver McCall, Hatton was obliterated when he went toe-to-toe with Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, while Calzaghe was very well looked after and his record was padded out with the Tocker Pudwills of this world.

Carl, on the other hand, has generated excellent results against some of the leading lights of the super-middleweight division, and I don't think anyone has fought so many top-ranked fighters consecutively and been as fearless and hard-as-nails as he has.

I don't think anyone has fought so many top-ranked fighters consecutively and been as fearless and hard-as-nails as Carl has.

Effective

The Cobra put in a glowing performance on Saturday night to dismantle Lucian Bute in the fifth-round and become a three-time world champion.

Froch does not look anything special; he is not the slickest, not the most talented, and doesn't do anything greater than anybody else. He's not Sugar Ray Leonard or Marvin Hagler - but he is damn effective.

He is also superbly fit and is still as teak-tough as he has ever been; he takes so much care of his body. For 20 years he has trained all the time, kept the weight off and been in peak condition, and that was evident against Bute.

But perhaps Carl's greatest strength is his unwavering belief in himself. We had a phone conversation recently and he told me he knew he was going be beat Bute, even though some people thought he would be up against it following his loss to Andre Ward in December.

He certainly proved his doubters wrong.

Raucous
Carl has said he would like to face Ward again and I think he would do a lot better in a rematch with the American, whose mental toughness he perhaps underestimated in the Super Six Final.

If that match was in Nottingham who knows what effect a raucous crowd could have, but I just feel that he would come up short against the super-skilful Ward. That shouldn't stop Carl going for it, though, as it would be a big-money fight.

The next step for Froch is to seemingly try and avenge his defeat to Mikkel Kessler from 2010, and I would certainly back him to do that; Kessler is a good fighter but he's not a great one.

When he lost to Kessler before, Carl had a lot of things going on in his life. His wife was pregnant with their son, Rocco, and as he loves his family so much maybe he wanted to be at home and not focus on boxing.

I don't envisage him being so forgiving should he tackle the Dane again.

Clause
There are some promising super-middleweights in Britain, such as George Groves and James DeGale, but I can't see Carl hanging around to fight them. He'll probably be looking at Kessler, Ward and then to go out at the top.

However, Bute still has a rematch clause in his contract and I hope we get to see him and Froch square off for a second time.

Bute looked surprisingly weak in Nottingham but he has shown previously that he has the ability to respond. The 32-year-old was floored by Librado Andrade in the 12th round of their match in October 2008, but managed to knock his opponent out in the return bout a year later to secure a much more convincing win.

I think there is more to Bute than we saw against Carl and I suspect he would do a lot better if they met again in Canada. That would be a much tougher proposition for Froch - but I think we all know better than to write him off."

I like Carl Froch - but this Sky hype thing is a bit much if I'm honest.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Good old Glen Empty Re: Good old Glen

Post by hampo17 Tue 29 May 2012, 4:30 pm

I don't remember him saying that about Calzaghe when he was active, infact he never once bad mouthed him. Can't stand this man, the worst of the sky crew.

I was thinking after the fight that yes it was a good performance but Bute to Froch is what Lacy is to Calzaghe.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 29 May 2012, 4:35 pm

I actually like McCrory more than most people, but can only assume he'd been on the Newcy Brown when he made that outlandish statement at the top of that article.

Still, we should have been expecting this. Froch is white-hot property for Sky right now.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 29 May 2012, 4:37 pm

He is still KTFO from when Lewis hit him. He doesn't know what he is saying

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 29 May 2012, 4:39 pm

Glen "Fiddich" McCrory...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Tue 29 May 2012, 4:41 pm

It's a shame that it's getting to the point when it's hard to take anything that a pundit/journalist affiliated with a broadcaster says with anything but a pinch of salt.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 29 May 2012, 4:43 pm

It's a completely different scenario now from people lamenting the lack of publicity Froch was getting for his exploits. Not that I am in agreement with the article at all, just that now the exposure comes it seems like more people are put off by it than when he was known mostly within boxing circles only.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 29 May 2012, 4:48 pm

I don't mind the publicity, but there's good publicity and there's coming out with cobblers.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 29 May 2012, 4:50 pm

sodhat wrote:than when he was known mostly within boxing circles only
Has that changed then?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 29 May 2012, 4:52 pm

Yep, I'd say so, have two or three non-boxing fan mates keen to chat about him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 29 May 2012, 4:54 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Yep, I'd say so, have two or three non-boxing fan mates keen to chat about him.
Didnt know you had any mates. Cant fault it OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 29 May 2012, 4:55 pm

Steffan wrote:
sodhat wrote:than when he was known mostly within boxing circles only
Has that changed then?

Considering the amount of people I've spoken to about it since (in 'real life' and on other sections on here), then yes, I'd say so.

Plus he has a 5 Live special about him tonight at 10pm...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 29 May 2012, 5:00 pm

Some of my non-boxing mates know of him a bit though but its normally just 'aint that the guy who 'slates' (I mean another word ofcouse) our Joe off all the time' Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 29 May 2012, 5:04 pm

Steffan wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Yep, I'd say so, have two or three non-boxing fan mates keen to chat about him.
clap

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 29 May 2012, 5:08 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Steffan wrote:
clap
Just kidding TH. I bet your the man women wanna be with and men wanna be where you come from OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 29 May 2012, 5:16 pm

Shocked Steffan posting in a Froch related article!!!!!????

Better get my Cleverly/ducking/83rd in the world opponent/Sukhotski dodger article up to really get the debate cooking Smile
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 29 May 2012, 5:17 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Better get my Cleverly/ducking/83rd in the world opponent/Sukhotski dodger article up to really get the debate cooking Smile
Its been too long Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 29 May 2012, 5:44 pm

I remember the days that JC was lauded and slurped over by that talentless no puncher called Glen McCrory. Now Calzaghe's in retirement and is not the product he gets panned. What a slime bucket.

And as for his LL comments losing to average fighters he also beat his fair share of average fighters. One of them was called Glen!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 30 May 2012, 1:58 am

An article about Sky hype and no sign yet of Gordy-miracles will never cease!

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down