The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will someone teach Isner to hit a return before someone gets killed?

3 posters

Go down

Will someone teach Isner to hit a return before someone gets killed? Empty Will someone teach Isner to hit a return before someone gets killed?

Post by socal1976 Thu 31 May - 21:01

I hate to rain on the parade because Isner played a gutty effort and the match was actually pretty high quality until the very very end where understandbly Isner's legs gave out. Carrying that large frame in these huge matches does certainly take a toll. But frankly, as much as I like Isner he really is a terrible returner especially on the backhand. And when he serves well he is virtually unbreakable, this deadly combination could result in the first fatality in the history of the ATP tour. A player who when he serves well is unbreakable and who can't break to save his life if his opponent also serves well. If John Isner does not learn how to return better he will have a shortened career. He seriously could get himself hurt in a grandslam or Davis Cup if he serves big and if his opponent also maintains a high first serve percentage then the thing has a good chance of going the distance. Also the USO gets a lot of flack for the fifth set tiebreak but it actually maybe a very functional change to the slams and davis cup format that should be considered.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Will someone teach Isner to hit a return before someone gets killed? Empty Re: Will someone teach Isner to hit a return before someone gets killed?

Post by Chazfazzer Thu 31 May - 21:42

Ha, when I first read this I thought you meant his returns were so wayward that the spectators are at risk of having a 100mph backhand return fired at their heads.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Will someone teach Isner to hit a return before someone gets killed? Empty Re: Will someone teach Isner to hit a return before someone gets killed?

Post by lydian Thu 31 May - 22:31

It's no coincidence that his matches can go on very long....they can't break him and he can't break them!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 31 May - 23:40

Chazfazzer wrote:Ha, when I first read this I thought you meant his returns were so wayward that the spectators are at risk of having a 100mph backhand return fired at their heads.

That could be another possible fatality from Isner's attrocious returning. It is sad because the guys serve and forehand are monstrous. i actually think he hits his forehand, much, much bigger than lets say Roddick ever did. And the serve is as good when you factor in the angles and extra kick he can generate at six nine. But like Roddick he is a highly deficient returner. Returning of this calibre will make it impossible for John Isner to improve or even maintain his ranking. In today's game returning is probably even more important than serving, it is at least as important. Isner is a good guy and has worked so hard. And I do understand your never going to get a great tall returner, I am shorter myself and my returning has always been better than my serving, although my serve is pretty good and stable now. Being that tall hurts your returning by making you easier to jam and making that quick first step side to side required for returning a bit harder. Yet, Del Po and Berdy are almost that tall and they are good returners while not great ones. But Isner is just plain awful in that department. I can't see him doing better or maintaining this ranking without sollidifying his return.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down