The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales' tour of Australia

+13
majesticimperialman
glamorganalun
dragonbreath
Luckless Pedestrian
TycroesOsprey
Morgannwg
Biltong
wales606
munkian
yappysnap
HERSH
LondonTiger
Glas a du
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales' tour of Australia Empty Wales' tour of Australia

Post by Glas a du Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:34 am

And so the rugby season has ended domestically. Players all around Wales relax before 'pre-season'. No such luck for the Wales squad. Now it's time for them to prove themselves on the International stage; again. The decent and unexpected fourth at the World Cup (which was actually a disappointment as things turned out) caused expectation. The Grand Slam, again unexpected but worthily obtained, has pushed the expectancy rating to heightened. A second string team dispatched the Barbarians where the Irish failed, it cranks up again. Even the washed out European Cup campaign for the regions fails to dampen it as the Ospreys only went and beat back to back Heineken Cup Champions Leinster in their own back yard in the Pro12 final. Click, click, click...

As I write I'm considering today's events. Scotland take Australia's second string 9-6 in the Scottish weather at, erm, New South Wales. Click...

The Australians are under pressure. David Campese is relentless in his public criticism of Robbie Deans, the Kiwi in charge of the Wallabies. From Twitter after the first loss to Scotland at home since 1982: "@Davidcampese11: Records keep falling under Deans. So let's move on. How to destroy Aus rugby. By Robbie Deans"

Click...

This is a three test series starting this weekend. Wales' front line (except for "Crunchie-ankles" Gatland) for once seemingly free from injury, albeit to be weakened by Ian Evans' nuptials clashing with the first test. Australia however are missing Cooper, O'Connor, Beale and Horwill.

Click...

Wales will be keen to put a few things straight. They have beaten Australia once in 9 attempts. Despite beating Australia in the inaugural World Cup in 1987, Wales have not won in Australia since 1969, including receiving a 63-6 smashing in the SCG in 1991.

Click...

So what's the verdict? Australia to win the series 3-0.

Australia are perennial over-achievers. They have had to beat the All Blacks down the years but out thinking them more often than not. That breeds a special type of rugby team, and they are athletes, and they are at home. Yes our scrum will pressure them, but I can't see that and our defence being enough. They will have worn out the video of Priestland in HQ...

I hope I'm wrong, but my view is that the expectation will be too much for caretaker coach Howley and his team.

Wales' squad:

Backs: A Beck (Ospreys), A Bishop (Ospreys), A Brew (Newport Gwent Dragons), A Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), J Davies (Scarlets), L Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), J Hook (Perpignan), G North (Scarlets), M Phillips (Bayonne), R Priestland (Scarlets), H Robinson (Cardiff Blues), R Webb (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), S Williams (Scarlets), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

Forwards: L Charteris (Newport Gwent Dragons), B Davies (Cardiff Blues), I Evans (Ospreys), T Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), R Gill (Saracens), R Hibbard (Ospreys), P James (Ospreys), G Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), A Jones (Ospreys), A-W Jones (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), D Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), K Owens (Scarlets), M Rees (Scarlets), A Shingler (Scarlets), J Tipuric (Ospreys), J Turnbull (Scarlets), S Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt).

Of that squad the key is the front five. Can they put the Australians under enough pressure, with and without the ball? In the backs, who will be there to take the poor ball on for Priestland in the absence of Jamie Roberts?

Prospects:
The talk after the Barbarians is all about Harry Robinson. It is rare that a player lives up to his hype. If they get game time I would keep a close eye on Beck and Liam Williams. Both have a hardness belied by their wiry stature and an instinct for the whitewash.

Key Players:
Apart from the obvious Osprey dominated front five, Ryan Jones' cover of the back five in the pack will be crucial as it was in the Grand Slam, he is in the form of his life and has matured into a very intelligent forward. Next, the centres. Roberts is not there and that's a conundrum as the game plan revolves around a crash ball. Whoever is selected at 12-13 will be key players.

Likely XXII for the first test
15-9 Halfpenny, Cuthbert, Williams, Davies, North, Priestland, Phillips
1-8 Jenkins, Owens, Jones, Charteris, Davies, Lydiate, Warburton (c) Faletau

16-22 James, Hibbard, Jones, Tipuric, Williams, Hook, Beck.

The Australian Squad:
Ben Alexander Prop Brumbies
Adam Ashley-Cooper Fullback-Wing-OC NSW
Berrick Barnes Flyhalf/Inside Centre Melbourne
Dave Dennis Loose Forward NSW
Kane Douglas Lock NSW
Anthony Faingaa Inside Centre Queensland
Saia Faingaa Hooker Queensland
Bernard Foley Flyhalf/Fullback NSW
Will Genia Halfback Queensland
Michael Harris Inside Centre Queensland
Scott Higginbotham Loose forward Queensland
Michael Hooper Flanker Brumbies
Rob Horne Centre NSW
Digby Ioane Wing Queensland
Sekope Kepu Prop NSW
Salesi Ma’afu Prop Western Force
Pat McCabe Inside Centre Brumbies
Ben McCalman Loose Forward Western Force
Jesse Mogg Fullback Brumbies
Stephen Moore Hooker Brumbies
Luke Morahan Fullback Queensland
Cadeyrn Neville Lock Melbourne
Dan Palmer Prop Brumbies
Wycliff Palu No 8 NSW
Nick Phipps Halfback Melbourne
David Pocock Flanker Western Force
Tatafu Polota Nau Hooker NSW
Hugh Pyle Lock Melbourne
Benn Robinson Prop NSW
Nathan Sharpe Lock Western Force
Dominic Shipperley Wing Queensland
Rob Simmons Lock Queensland
James Slipper Prop Queensland
Sitaleki Timani Lock NSW
Joseph Tomane Wing Brumbies
Cooper Vuna Wing Melbourne
Nic White Halfback Brumbies

There are a slew of previously uncapped players in the squad, 5 of which were blooded in the Scotland match. That is not surprising given the injury list. On the other hand Pocock has racked up over 40 caps already and Sharpe is a centurian.

Itinerary

9/6/12
Australia v Wales Suncorp Stadium
13/6/12
ACT Brumbies v Wales XV Canberra (Bruce) Stadium
16/6/12
Australia v Wales Etihad Stadium (Telstra Dome)
23/6/12
Australia v Wales Allianz (Aussie) Stadium.

Edit

TEAMS
Australia: Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW); Joe Tomane (ACT), Rob Horne (NSW), Pat McCabe (ACT), Digby Ioane (Queensland); Berrick Barnes (NSW), Will Genia (Queensland); Benn Robinson (NSW), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW), Sekope Kepu (NSW), Rob Simmons (Queensland), Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), Scott Higginbotham (Queensland), David Pocock (Western Force, capt), Wycliff Palu (NSW).

Replacements: Stephen Moore (ACT), Ben Alexander (ACT), Dave Dennis (NSW), Michael Hooper (ACT), Nic White (ACT), Anthony Fainga'a (Queensland), Mike Harris (Queensland).

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny (Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), George North (Scarlets); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Dan Lydiate (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt), Toby Faletau (Dragons).

Replacements: Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), Ashley Beck (Ospreys).

Last edited by Glas a du on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:14 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : By popular request.)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Wales' tour of Australia Empty Re: Wales' tour of Australia

Post by LondonTiger Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:45 am

Australia will be tougher having lost yesterday - even though that result was no surprise and predicted by many of us.

I must admit, and am ashamed to so so, but the attitude of certain posters on here would give me a certain amount of schadenfreude should the series scoreline turn out as you predict.

However once that had sunsided ther would be rather a large level of disappointment that the NH champions went down so heavily to a weakened Australian unit.

Wales have to win at least one test. Being plucky losers to SH teams is no longer good enough.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:53 am

I hear you Tiger. We have our 'special' posters, just like everybody else, but we seem to have a higher concentration. It's not surprising when you look at the history and geography of rugby in Wales.

However, back to the rugby, the Lions were supposed to do the job in 2001 remember? And they failed. The Lions made a mistake to go for Henry and they are making the same mistake IF they go with Gatland.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:09 am

Hang on!

There was no mention of a 2nd/3rd choice England team thrashing the Barbarians the previous week, and we weren't reliant on one player to win the game for us!

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:12 am

There were a lot of mistakes made during that 2001 Lions tour - especially that damn pod system Henry favoured. He was so insistent on players running into contact - and then recycling the ball that it was rumoured that he gave Scott Quinnell an absolute bollocking after the first test for making too much ground ball in hand and not looking for contact. Henry also seemed to struggle to forge the different nationalities into one unit and too often seemed to be going out of his way to demoralise certain players - and favour others.

Gatland has experience of Lions tours now and I suspect he will do a much better job than Henry (and SCW).

Back to this tour - provided Wales can sort out their lineout and are able to keep Adam Jones fit they should be able to secure enough possession for us to see just how good the backs are.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:21 am

I have a feeling it'll need to be a smash and grab job for Wales. Start quickly and get an early score or two and then just try to bully Oz for the rest of the match.

If Phillips can get to Genia and the backrow/Roberts/North/Cuthbert(too many big blokes!) can smash Cooper or Barnes then you'll have a very good chance for the win.

Without Beale and JOC it's the halfbacks who'll be most dangerous so you'll have to smash them.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:40 am

Thank you HERSH, you have unwittingly provided balance!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:48 am

Glas a du wrote:Thank you HERSH, you have unwittingly provided balance!

Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:15 am

no problem, I'm a balanced sort of guy.

Just thought it was worth a mention
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:19 am

It was. The truth is, I wasn't having a dig at you in the article

Sometimes, I'm just too subtle for my own good...

Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:21 am

Genia had a bit of mare by his standard but he was shivering in his boots bless him. The Scots managed to get to him a fair few times, he's not going to enjoy Phillips at his prickly best and the Welsh flankers trying to scrag him.

If the Welsh defense holds this will be a break down battle I hope we win. I wonder how it will be reffed mind as the SA ref seemed to let a lot go during the last game.

I'm also looking forward to our pack having a go at them, I wouldn't be suprised if their front row get a yellow card for collapsing the scrum either
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

The Aus scrum will improve with the first choice packs coming in. On the other hand, I think Wales have a stronger scrum that Scotland - in the end it will come down to the ref, but it could be a source of penalties for Wales.

Genia, Pocock and Barnes are key - and all 3 played 80 minutes against Scotland (which i'm sure wasn't the plan) - Wales need to use Phillips and the backrow to smash them, tire them out, allowing Warburton to dominate the breakdown and slowing down Genia and Barnes' play.

Australia will still have dangerous back, but I don't think we need to fear the forwards - Scotland held them out multiple times on their line (though the weather helped) and Shaun Edwards will have Wales prepared to do the same.

Barnes is not the most creative 10, but Genia and AAC are - if Aus start to get quick ball between those 2 then they will start to create a lot more than they did against Scotland. Wales need to be up quick on defence and close down the Aus 12 and 13 to prevent the wingers getting hold of it, young Cuthbert will have a torrid time against Ioane otherwise (infact, Cuthberts defence vs Ioane will be a key battle - again, Ioane having played 80 mins vs Scotland will benefit us.

Overall, I think Wales forward dominance will be enough to spoil Aus ball and the backs defence is strong enough to put pressure on the Aus backs in possession - much like NZ did to them in the world cup. The Australian backs may be very talented, but they will make mistakes if put under pressure - Then we have players like JD2, North, Cuthbert and Halfpenny to punish them.

Finally, our goal kicker will be Halfpenny, there's will be Harris or Barnes. Advantage Wales I think, although Harris is apparently decent for his club, he did not cope well in the conditions on Tuesday, and may well struggle if he is selected (I expect he won't be and it will be Barnes kicking, something he isn't great at) - a couple of halfway penalties from Halfpenny will be useful.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:53 pm

If Hook is picked at centre he can be creative but also a liability in defense as shown many times previously. Scott/JD2 combo on the cards ?

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:58 pm

munkian wrote:If Hook is picked at centre he can be creative but also a liability in defense as shown many times previously. Scott/JD2 combo on the cards ?

Yep, Hook played vs the Baabaas so won't start against Aus in the first test at least (they will only be allowed on the bench)

Scott Williams or Ashley Beck will partner JD2 in the centres.

I would be more nervous with Beck, but more excited too - it would also allow JD2 to stay at 13.

Picking Williams is the safe option, but he did play very well off the bench against England (apart from that pass, he created a lot, not just the winning try)

I don't mind who gets the start, its a pretty 50/50 decision.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

I very much look forward to this series, someone earlier somewhere on v2 showed australia's results against England, Scotland etc.

Australia is the Tri Nation champions regardless of how they won it, Wales is the six nations champions, both made the semi finals, Oz was beaten by a very good performance by NZ, Wales was beaten by a not so impressive france.

Wales have succeeded against all NH teams, Australia has failed again some NH teams.

Wales had their Provinces do well in the RABO, Australia is struggling a bit in the Super XV.

It is a case of the team who has dominated encounters over the past few years showing signs of a decline? vs Wales a team coming back from some lean year to an uprising?

Who will win, the time is right for a shift, can wales do it, or will Australia once again defy the odds with their limited depth?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:39 pm

It will be close, I can't see either team thrashing the other.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:41 pm

yeah, agree with that.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:52 pm

Anyone would think Aus are the only ones with limited depth... Rolling Eyes
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:53 pm

It showed yesterday mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

Yes, so did ours against the Baa-baa's.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:00 pm

and theirs last year vs samoa
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

biltongbek wrote:I very much look forward to this series, someone earlier somewhere on v2 showed australia's results against England, Scotland etc.

Australia is the Tri Nation champions regardless of how they won it, Wales is the six nations champions, both made the semi finals, Oz was beaten by a very good performance by NZ, Wales was beaten by a cheating frenchman masquerading as an Irish referee.

Wales have succeeded against all NH teams, Australia has failed again some NH teams.

Wales had their Provinces do well in the RABO, Australia is struggling a bit in the Super XV.

It is a case of the team who has dominated encounters over the past few years showing signs of a decline? vs Wales a team coming back from some lean year to an uprising?

Who will win, the time is right for a shift, can wales do it, or will Australia once again defy the odds with their limited depth?

There fixed that for you. thumbsup

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
biltongbek wrote:I very much look forward to this series, someone earlier somewhere on v2 showed australia's results against England, Scotland etc.

Australia is the Tri Nation champions regardless of how they won it, Wales is the six nations champions, both made the semi finals, Oz was beaten by a very good performance by NZ, Wales was beaten by a cheating frenchman masquerading as an Irish referee.

Thanks mate you're a star.Wales' tour of Australia Smiley-hug008
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:

warning
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

wales606 wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:

warning
Wales' tour of Australia Roflbl10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

wales606 wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:

warning

Its ok Biltong still wakes up screaming "Bryce you bleeping bleep, He was bleeping well off bleeping side. You blind bleeper youve been bleeping well bought by a bunch of bleeping convict bleeps. What the bleep do you bleeping know about bleeping rugby? even my bleeping eight year old son could do a bleeping better job that you, you bleeping bleeper.

So I think he gets where Im coming from. censored

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

Ugh, not this again. We lost against France because of missed kicks, not because of Alain Rolland.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:35 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:Its ok Biltong still wakes up screaming "Bryce you bleeping bleep, He was bleeping well off bleeping side. You blind bleeper youve been bleeping well bought by a bunch of bleeping convict bleeps. What the bleep do you bleeping know about bleeping rugby? even my bleeping eight year old son could do a bleeping better job that you, you bleeping bleeper.

So I think he gets where Im coming from. censored
You do know I don't use the word bleep?Wales' tour of Australia Banghe10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

No. Rolling Eyes

It was because the sword of Orion was in Venus. Whistle
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:37 pm

I'm sure I've seen that film.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:10 pm

On Brazzers wasn't it ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:35 pm

Does anyone know when the Wales team is announced?

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:38 pm

Thursday.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 4:44 pm

It will be very early Thursday I believe so will have many gnashing teeth and tearing at their breast over there cornflakes.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:05 pm

munkian wrote:It will be very early Thursday I believe so will have many gnashing teeth and tearing at their breast over there cornflakes.

Well its a fairly obvious selection really.

Who plays 12, who gets the reserve 9 spot and Ryan Jones or Tips on the bench are the only positions up in the air I think.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:23 pm

Me too. Hopefully it will be Beck and JD2.

Webb should get reserve 9, Ryan on bench as we are without A-WJ and Ian Evans.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:29 pm

munkian wrote:Me too. Hopefully it will be Beck and JD2.

Webb should get reserve 9, Ryan on bench as we are without A-WJ and Ian Evans.

AWJ will be on the bench - won't start though due to jetlag etc.

I think Ryan Jones will get the bench spot because he is a perfect impact player, Tips is probably the better player - but will only cover 7, which means taking Warbs off to have any impact (thus reducing the impact) - Ryan will come on for Lydaite, allowing Lydiate to tire himself out tackling for 60mins and get a rest (but if Warburton get injured were in trouble, but that's a risk they have to take)

I would select Webb over Williams (despite being a Blues fan), but Howley may have a different opinion + performance in training will be a factor.

I think Scott Williams will start, and i'd agree with that for the 1st test. Beck to the bench with Hook covering 10 and 15 and Beck 12 (and Halfpenny wing)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:36 pm

I'd start Ashley Beck at inside centre. He's the form 12 in the country, let's play him. That's what the Wallabies would do.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:40 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'd start Ashley Beck at inside centre. He's the form 12 in the country, let's play him. That's what the Wallabies would do.

For his first start against Aus in Aus is a bit of a risk. I agree he is an excellent player, and I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed to see him on the team sheet. As I have said, I would be more excited and more nervous to see Beck start.

However, the first test is a must win, and JD2 and Williams are a proven combination - if things are not working, Beck will come on at 50/60 mins.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:47 pm

Just had a thought.

Would anyone else consider a 5/2 split on the bench? Bringing Rees, AWJ, Ryan AND Tipuric off the bench at 60minutes against a tired Aus pack (Pocock will be exhausted after playing the full 80 against Scotland and won't fancy facing a fresh Tipuric) - Hook would then be covering 10,12 and 15.

It would be a risk if we lose a few backs, it could be disaster - but it would really give us the edge at 60 minutes.

Rees, AWJ, Ryan and Tipuric off the bench - thats 3 B&I Lions and no doubt 4 this time next year - We have ridiculous strength in the forwards at the moment. Hook and Webb/Williams are not too shabby either.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:10 pm

wales606 wrote:Just had a thought.

Would anyone else consider a 5/2 split on the bench? Bringing Rees, AWJ, Ryan AND Tipuric off the bench at 60minutes against a tired Aus pack (Pocock will be exhausted after playing the full 80 against Scotland and won't fancy facing a fresh Tipuric) - Hook would then be covering 10,12 and 15.

It would be a risk if we lose a few backs, it could be disaster - but it would really give us the edge at 60 minutes.

Rees, AWJ, Ryan and Tipuric off the bench - thats 3 B&I Lions and no doubt 4 this time next year - We have ridiculous strength in the forwards at the moment. Hook and Webb/Williams are not too shabby either.

I agree with your views, when you look at the potential bench they have more game time than the "first" team players and are all on form!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:12 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
wales606 wrote:Just had a thought.

I agree with your views, when you look at the potential bench they have more game time than the "first" team players and are all on form!

Also, Phillips has some experience in the centre, and Ll.Williams has played on the wing when forced by the Blues. We would be pretty well covered if 1/2 backs get injured. Also, according to Twitter, Ryan Jones is will to play anywhere and has his own boots - so we can always put him at FB Wink
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:16 pm

The Jones on the bench IS Ryan. In this instance second row cover. They will want Tipuric or Turnbull (therefore Tipuric) on the bench also. AWJ will not play a part in this one. I would go with Webb, Hook, Beck on the bench, but I was trying to second guess Howley Rolling Eyes
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:20 pm

Glas a du wrote:The Jones on the bench IS Ryan. In this instance second row cover. They will want Tipuric or Turnbull (therefore Tipuric) on the bench also. AWJ will not play a part in this one. I would go with Webb, Hook, Beck on the bench, but I was trying to second guess Howley Rolling Eyes

Howley did heavily suggest that AWJ would not be considered for a starting spot, but would be on the bench for the 1st test.

Having AWJ, R.Jones and Tipuric on the bench would allow us to replace players with fresh legs who would all make an impact.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:21 pm

OK, you've persuaded me. Now how are we going to tell Warren...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:27 pm

Glas a du wrote:OK, you've persuaded me. Now how are we going to tell Warren Howley...

Fixed that for you.

I suggest carrier pigeon - it may be slower than a phone call or email, but when a bird drops a letter in your lap, you read it.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:42 pm

Can I suggest Raven instead ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:11 pm

Whatever happened to her Drool
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:14 pm

Glas a du wrote:Whatever happened to her Drool

Shocked
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:22 pm

Scotland beet Australia in some of the worst conditions i have ever seen. It looked at one time that Genia was going to pass out with the cold and rain.

When Wales take on Australia for the first test, i would say it will depend on the conditions of the weather, and the pitch. If it is dry and the ground allows for fast running rugby then Wales could well have a chance of winning.

However you get the feeling that the loss to Scotland is 1 loss too many.

If Wales dominate in the scrum they could well go on and win. I do expect it to be a close game. But unlike the Scotland game i do expect some trys to be scored.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next