The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales' tour of Australia

+13
majesticimperialman
glamorganalun
dragonbreath
Luckless Pedestrian
TycroesOsprey
Morgannwg
Biltong
wales606
munkian
yappysnap
HERSH
LondonTiger
Glas a du
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wales' tour of Australia - Page 2 Empty Wales' tour of Australia

Post by Glas a du Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:34 am

First topic message reminder :

And so the rugby season has ended domestically. Players all around Wales relax before 'pre-season'. No such luck for the Wales squad. Now it's time for them to prove themselves on the International stage; again. The decent and unexpected fourth at the World Cup (which was actually a disappointment as things turned out) caused expectation. The Grand Slam, again unexpected but worthily obtained, has pushed the expectancy rating to heightened. A second string team dispatched the Barbarians where the Irish failed, it cranks up again. Even the washed out European Cup campaign for the regions fails to dampen it as the Ospreys only went and beat back to back Heineken Cup Champions Leinster in their own back yard in the Pro12 final. Click, click, click...

As I write I'm considering today's events. Scotland take Australia's second string 9-6 in the Scottish weather at, erm, New South Wales. Click...

The Australians are under pressure. David Campese is relentless in his public criticism of Robbie Deans, the Kiwi in charge of the Wallabies. From Twitter after the first loss to Scotland at home since 1982: "@Davidcampese11: Records keep falling under Deans. So let's move on. How to destroy Aus rugby. By Robbie Deans"

Click...

This is a three test series starting this weekend. Wales' front line (except for "Crunchie-ankles" Gatland) for once seemingly free from injury, albeit to be weakened by Ian Evans' nuptials clashing with the first test. Australia however are missing Cooper, O'Connor, Beale and Horwill.

Click...

Wales will be keen to put a few things straight. They have beaten Australia once in 9 attempts. Despite beating Australia in the inaugural World Cup in 1987, Wales have not won in Australia since 1969, including receiving a 63-6 smashing in the SCG in 1991.

Click...

So what's the verdict? Australia to win the series 3-0.

Australia are perennial over-achievers. They have had to beat the All Blacks down the years but out thinking them more often than not. That breeds a special type of rugby team, and they are athletes, and they are at home. Yes our scrum will pressure them, but I can't see that and our defence being enough. They will have worn out the video of Priestland in HQ...

I hope I'm wrong, but my view is that the expectation will be too much for caretaker coach Howley and his team.

Wales' squad:

Backs: A Beck (Ospreys), A Bishop (Ospreys), A Brew (Newport Gwent Dragons), A Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), J Davies (Scarlets), L Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), J Hook (Perpignan), G North (Scarlets), M Phillips (Bayonne), R Priestland (Scarlets), H Robinson (Cardiff Blues), R Webb (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), S Williams (Scarlets), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

Forwards: L Charteris (Newport Gwent Dragons), B Davies (Cardiff Blues), I Evans (Ospreys), T Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), R Gill (Saracens), R Hibbard (Ospreys), P James (Ospreys), G Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), A Jones (Ospreys), A-W Jones (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), D Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), K Owens (Scarlets), M Rees (Scarlets), A Shingler (Scarlets), J Tipuric (Ospreys), J Turnbull (Scarlets), S Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt).

Of that squad the key is the front five. Can they put the Australians under enough pressure, with and without the ball? In the backs, who will be there to take the poor ball on for Priestland in the absence of Jamie Roberts?

Prospects:
The talk after the Barbarians is all about Harry Robinson. It is rare that a player lives up to his hype. If they get game time I would keep a close eye on Beck and Liam Williams. Both have a hardness belied by their wiry stature and an instinct for the whitewash.

Key Players:
Apart from the obvious Osprey dominated front five, Ryan Jones' cover of the back five in the pack will be crucial as it was in the Grand Slam, he is in the form of his life and has matured into a very intelligent forward. Next, the centres. Roberts is not there and that's a conundrum as the game plan revolves around a crash ball. Whoever is selected at 12-13 will be key players.

Likely XXII for the first test
15-9 Halfpenny, Cuthbert, Williams, Davies, North, Priestland, Phillips
1-8 Jenkins, Owens, Jones, Charteris, Davies, Lydiate, Warburton (c) Faletau

16-22 James, Hibbard, Jones, Tipuric, Williams, Hook, Beck.

The Australian Squad:
Ben Alexander Prop Brumbies
Adam Ashley-Cooper Fullback-Wing-OC NSW
Berrick Barnes Flyhalf/Inside Centre Melbourne
Dave Dennis Loose Forward NSW
Kane Douglas Lock NSW
Anthony Faingaa Inside Centre Queensland
Saia Faingaa Hooker Queensland
Bernard Foley Flyhalf/Fullback NSW
Will Genia Halfback Queensland
Michael Harris Inside Centre Queensland
Scott Higginbotham Loose forward Queensland
Michael Hooper Flanker Brumbies
Rob Horne Centre NSW
Digby Ioane Wing Queensland
Sekope Kepu Prop NSW
Salesi Ma’afu Prop Western Force
Pat McCabe Inside Centre Brumbies
Ben McCalman Loose Forward Western Force
Jesse Mogg Fullback Brumbies
Stephen Moore Hooker Brumbies
Luke Morahan Fullback Queensland
Cadeyrn Neville Lock Melbourne
Dan Palmer Prop Brumbies
Wycliff Palu No 8 NSW
Nick Phipps Halfback Melbourne
David Pocock Flanker Western Force
Tatafu Polota Nau Hooker NSW
Hugh Pyle Lock Melbourne
Benn Robinson Prop NSW
Nathan Sharpe Lock Western Force
Dominic Shipperley Wing Queensland
Rob Simmons Lock Queensland
James Slipper Prop Queensland
Sitaleki Timani Lock NSW
Joseph Tomane Wing Brumbies
Cooper Vuna Wing Melbourne
Nic White Halfback Brumbies

There are a slew of previously uncapped players in the squad, 5 of which were blooded in the Scotland match. That is not surprising given the injury list. On the other hand Pocock has racked up over 40 caps already and Sharpe is a centurian.

Itinerary

9/6/12
Australia v Wales Suncorp Stadium
13/6/12
ACT Brumbies v Wales XV Canberra (Bruce) Stadium
16/6/12
Australia v Wales Etihad Stadium (Telstra Dome)
23/6/12
Australia v Wales Allianz (Aussie) Stadium.

Edit

TEAMS
Australia: Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW); Joe Tomane (ACT), Rob Horne (NSW), Pat McCabe (ACT), Digby Ioane (Queensland); Berrick Barnes (NSW), Will Genia (Queensland); Benn Robinson (NSW), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW), Sekope Kepu (NSW), Rob Simmons (Queensland), Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), Scott Higginbotham (Queensland), David Pocock (Western Force, capt), Wycliff Palu (NSW).

Replacements: Stephen Moore (ACT), Ben Alexander (ACT), Dave Dennis (NSW), Michael Hooper (ACT), Nic White (ACT), Anthony Fainga'a (Queensland), Mike Harris (Queensland).

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny (Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), George North (Scarlets); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Dan Lydiate (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt), Toby Faletau (Dragons).

Replacements: Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), Ashley Beck (Ospreys).

Last edited by Glas a du on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:14 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : By popular request.)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Wales' tour of Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales' tour of Australia

Post by Cymroglan Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:56 pm

It's been said that Australia will be all out to beat us due to the fact they lost against Scotland but I'm sure that Wales would be all out to preserve their unbeaten record in 2012.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:24 pm

You have to think so Cymro...!

Australia will be as tough as ever to beat on Saturday...! No doubt in my mind their.

But Wales are playing their best hand so we can't ask for more. It will be a stern but exciting test match.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:28 pm

Wonder if they will go for Hook at 12 when the team is announced tomorrow. I would love Beck to get the nod but with no previous international experience do you take the risk in the all important 1st Test?.

Then you have Williams who has a very good partnership with JD2 and proved this when he came on against England. The two blended very nicely indeed.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:40 pm

I'm hoping for

Geth
Rees
Adam
Luke
Brad
Lyds
Warbs (c)
Toby
Phillips
Priesto
Cuthbert
Beck
JD2
North
Halfpenny

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:41 pm

James
Owens
Ryan
Shingler or Tips
Webb
Hook
Scott wiliams

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:43 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I'm hoping for

Geth
Rees
Adam
Luke
Brad
Lyds
Warbs (c)
Toby
Phillips
Priesto
Cuthbert
Beck
JD2
North
Halfpenny

Well Beck is the man in form and has been a revelation for the O's this season. He oozes quality. I would also love to see him in the starting line-up, considering he's been out there training week in week out. Plus Williams has been out with injury. Beck is also stronger than he sometimes shows. When he goes into contact, he's a real handful to bring down.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm

Also a play-maker like Beck will really bring North and Cuthbert into the game when they come in field from time to time.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:46 pm

I think beck and Jd2 will compliment each other very well. It will be good to see Wales without a crash ball centre.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:49 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I think beck and Jd2 will compliment each other very well. It will be good to see Wales without a crash ball centre.

I agree, although North coming in field will act as our crash ball player, however, it won't be used every move, which will give the Aussies midfield a wake up when Georgie comes sprinting onto quick ball, Fergus didn't expect it in the first 6N game did he laughing

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:08 pm

Aye

All the lads outside ten except Halfpenny can take contact and make a good healthy yard and still slip a pass out of the tackle. We certainly don't lack in the physical stuff, but Beck and Jd2 have a deft touch, a feint pass and a canny boot and that may well open a few new dimensions in our crafty arts..!

Here's hoping anyway..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:54 am

Beck and Jon Davies are both footballers as well as being physical players. I think they'd make a cracking midfield pairing.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:00 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Beck and Jon Davies are both footballers as well as being physical players. I think they'd make a cracking midfield pairing.

It's Scott and JD2 - least they are a pairing with experience playing together
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:07 am

The team's been named, has it? I thought someone would have posted it here. Thanks anyway!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:07 am

TEAMS
Australia: Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW); Joe Tomane (ACT), Rob Horne (NSW), Pat McCabe (ACT), Digby Ioane (Queensland); Berrick Barnes (NSW), Will Genia (Queensland); Benn Robinson (NSW), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW), Sekope Kepu (NSW), Rob Simmons (Queensland), Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), Scott Higginbotham (Queensland), David Pocock (Western Force, capt), Wycliff Palu (NSW).

Replacements: Stephen Moore (ACT), Ben Alexander (ACT), Dave Dennis (NSW), Michael Hooper (ACT), Nic White (ACT), Anthony Fainga'a (Queensland), Mike Harris (Queensland).

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny (Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), George North (Scarlets); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Dan Lydiate (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt), Toby Faletau (Dragons).

Replacements: Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), Ashley Beck (Ospreys).

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:11 am

Diolch, Cymro! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:41 pm

bets on for hook to play at least 2 positions in this game. and possibly every game.

i can see a 'rumble' and a 'softening up ' of us for the start of the tests. hope theres no nasty ones out there. we need everyone available for every game. no box kicks please, if you cant do them well dont do them at all.

good luck boys.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2