The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Memphis Blues Again: Notes from the Ballwasher

+19
neutral07
dolfinack
Leff
Caito
Redrage
GPB
Lairdy
incontinentia
Shotrock
McLaren
EmmDee57
AlciG
robopz
Tinmar
Fader
sirbenson
Skydriver
princedracula
kwinigolfer
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Memphis Blues Again: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: The Memphis Blues Again: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Extraordinary finish from Tiger Woods last Sunday - their respective scrambling on #16 representing the difference between Woods and Sabbatini. But the key for Woods was his play on the par-5's (birdied half of them) and, going forward, that will be the secret to the tournaments he can be competitive in.
(Not sure whether the biggest surprise was Tiger winning, or going head-to-head with Rickie Fowler and dusting him by 17 strokes - didn't see that coming, but a reminder that Fowler is just the latest of America's Young Ones to run out of gas; McIlroy also refuelling of course.)

2).Sabbatini is not really a divisive figure among golfers and golf fans, everyone seems to hate him.
But, for all the absurdities of his behaviour during his career I enjoy watching him play well. Golf sorely needs guys who say what they think and are not afraid to ruffle the status quo. He appreciates the history of golf more than most, is active in his various charitable endeavours beyond merely dishing out dosh, and is often voted by his fellow pros the greatest over-achiever in the marriage stakes. (Usually alongside the toothy grin of Stephen Ames and Furyk's bent beak and bald pate.)

3).Like Woods, Sabbatini is going through swing changes which, for him, started earlier this year. And you'd have to say that, if Memorial is anything to go by, he's bedding in those changes more quickly than some others.
Another swing-changer, Gary Woodland is all at sea and in danger of running aground. Since moving to Screaming Lord Butch his best Tour finish is 24th - he's almost a year away from his last Tour top ten yet being in last year's Tour Championship earned him a place in all the Majors. Not next year, though, unless Butchie gets him sorted out.

4).Last word on Tiger, until next week at least: Doug Ferguson reminds us that 35 of his 73 wins have come on just six courses. Firestone will be the last venue this year for 35 to reach 36 so don't hold your breath in the meantime.

5).FedEx has long been a staunch supporter of the PGA Tour in general, the Memphis tournament in particular, but they are seldom rewarded with a field befitting their commitment.
No exception this week and two of the leading players in the field are either rehabbing their body (Dustin Johnson) or their focus (Rory McIlroy). Zach Johnson is the in-form player in the field and McDowell is here too, whether as a Horizon chaperon or in a serious attempt to prepare for Olympic Club only he knows.

6).They're not like Dylan, stuck inside of Mobile, but FedEx are entitled to have "the Memphis Blues again" as this tournament likely suffers more withdrawals than any other, including that of favourite Tennessean Snedeker who's convalescing, hoping to be fit for Olympic Club.
But is this surprising? And what has to happen to reward one of the very best sponsors with a top class field??
The pros like the course, but question how smart it is to play Bermuda Greens the week before a US Open.
Wonder if the Tour has looked more closely in to holding the pre-US Open week event at a more geographically appropriate location, with similar grasses - they know the USGA's schedule almost a decade in advance after all.
And what about trying to do a better job of attracting overseas US Open-qualified golfers who are looking for tournament-level practice the week before the big one?

7).One overseas player in the field is unlucky loser the past two years, twice play-off runner-up Robert Karlsson, but he's in a terrible trot of form and I'd fancy his compatriot Freddie Jac who will be busy these next few weeks.
Regardless, the winner is likely to be someone for whom winning in Memphis will be an achievement (like Freddie), whether for career or sentimental reasons, rather than a mere practice jaunt on his way to San Francisco. Toms fits this category, Bryce Molder, Chris Kirk and Tommy Gainey also, while amongst youngsters little known players like Kevin Kisner could reward long odds speculation.

8).Harrington, McDowell and McIlroy are grouped together for Rounds 1 and 2; (not sure St.Padraig and Rory are compatible playing partners, but doubtless the Tour took this into consideration). Other Europeans include Martin Laird, Christian, Owen, Knox, Chopra and Stenson (who played so well for 63 Muirfield Village holes).

9).We mentioned two weeks ago that Senior Major Championships come thick and fast this time of year and there's another so-called Major this week, at Shoal Creek in Birminghaaaam, Alabama.
For some reason the Tour doesn't believe in a field divisible by three for this effort and just 77 old pharts are playing, Roger Chapman, Lyle and Langer the only Europeans. Apart from the fact that the prize fund is marginally higher than usual, and they play four days instead of three, there's nothing to distinguish this event from any other - not even a 36-hole cut as far as I can tell. But at least it's nice in a nostalgic way to see Chapman grouped with his one-time Walker Cup adversary Pavin.

10).Someone who certainly doesn't suffer Memphis Blues is sometime European Tour journeyman(!) Shaun Micheel.
Tournaments often post the career leading money-winner at their events, but I'd be surprised if the Micheel family isn't the all-time leading beneficiary of FedEx largesse as his father was one of the original pilots for Federal Express when Fred Smith absolutely, positively got the operation going in the early seventies.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Memphis Blues Again: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Memphis Blues Again: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:40 pm

please dont mention the Lawrie thing, it makes my blood boil. What a very strange decision.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Memphis Blues Again: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Memphis Blues Again: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:45 pm

Could the likes of Holmes and Overton play themselves into next week by winning and getting into the top 60 in the world?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

McLaren wrote:please dont mention the Lawrie thing, it makes my blood boil. What a very strange decision.

It is utterly disgraceful imo and if an American didn't play the Open this year, you can be sure there would be more uproar from the british press.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:54 pm

benson

Very true, and San fran is one of the nicest cities in the world.

What a plonker.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm

Lawrie won't get a better chance to play in another Ryder Cup than this one so his focus is on that. If he feels missing the US Open helps his cause then it's his call. If he continues his form for this season and makes the team then it's likely he'll still be in Top60 next year at this time and will no doubt take up his place.

I think he'd make a good addition to the Ryder Cup team in the 4somes with his touch around and on the greens.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

The amount of guys that would love to be playing there.... the 100s that tried to qualify....

Even more ridiculous when you look at the form he's in!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

McLaren wrote:benson

Very true, and San fran is one of the nicest cities in the world.

What a plonker.

I really hope he doesn't qualify for the Ryder Cup now to be honest, there should be some sort of stipulation if you skip a major you cannot qualify.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

There are four spots in the US open T-times TBDs (for the last minutes top 60 qualifiers.

Justin Hicks, Kyle Thompson, Colt Knost, Jordan Spieth are probably in but lets examine 4th qualifier Jordan Speith.

I don't like the second top 60 deadline. An amateur like Speith has got to plan his trip with no guarantee of getting in the tournament. Plane tickets for the family can be a small fortune on short notice. Getting hotel reservations and deposits. With no guarantee of getting into the field.

I think the 156 player field should be established after the Sectionals and the alternate list strictly come from OWGR list.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:59 pm

I don't blame Lawrie one bit - his avowed goal was the Ryder Cup and hopefully he'll be successful. Can understand complaints though.

There are handfuls of Americans every year who are qualified but make excuses for not competing in The Open - attendance by Europeans at the US Open pretty good in comparison.

JB Holmes (local-ish boy) too far adrift but Overton could conceivably make it. Remember also, the money earned here goes towards the Open Championship moneylist from which the top two will qualify for Lytham.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:00 pm

GPB,
Poor Jordan.
I don't remember much sympathy for Gary Wolstenholme in 2008 when he was standby alternate - you can be sure he came further than Spieth would have to.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I don't blame Lawrie one bit - his avowed goal was the Ryder Cup and hopefully he'll be successful. Can understand complaints though.

There are handfuls of Americans every year who are qualified but make excuses for not competing in The Open - attendance by Europeans at the US Open pretty good in comparison.

JB Holmes (local-ish boy) too far adrift but Overton could conceivably make it. Remember also, the money earned here goes towards the Open Championship moneylist from which the top two will qualify for Lytham.

Would a win for Holmes still not propel him into the top 60, that's a shame.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:03 pm

Holmes with a 29....59 alert.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:04 pm

benson,
I think he'd reach about 63, conditional upon other results.
What a comeback he's made from brain surgery though!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:05 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:benson,
I think he'd reach about 63, conditional upon other results.
What a comeback he's made from brain surgery though!

Oh that is close and yeah a great story kind of pulling for him because of that.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:01 pm

GPB wrote:I don't like the second top 60 deadline. An amateur like Speith has got to plan his trip with no guarantee of getting in the tournament. Plane tickets for the family can be a small fortune on short notice. Getting hotel reservations and deposits. With no guarantee of getting into the field.

I think the 156 player field should be established after the Sectionals and the alternate list strictly come from OWGR list.

I've got to disagree with you on both counts.

The way I see it... it doesn't matter what we think... it matters what Jordan Speith thinks. If he thinks it's unfair or too much of a hardship to wait until maybe Sunday evening to find out if he's in... then maybe he should have shot better in his qualifier, or he should have his name removed from the alternate list. Speith signed up to play an event with the big boys - and this is the way it works in big boy land - if he's not ready to do that... then don't sign up in the first place.

And I like the final OWGR 60 deadline after play this weekend, it helps ensure a better quality field (or at least it can). As you recall this change was brought about by players doing extremely well after the first deadline, making top-50... but not getting in. Like happened in 2010.... Rickie Fowler and Justin Rose were outside the top-50 using the single OWGR Top-50 cutoff. But Rickie made it to #32 and Rose made it to #33 the week before, but couldn't get in.

Bottom line... if its a choice between having these better players get in or concern about some alternate's hotel reservations and plane tickets... give me the better players every time.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

Kwini

i will give you one shot at this;

Where do you suppose you win the most ryder cup points?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:09 pm

McLaren wrote:Kwini

i will give you one shot at this;

Where do you suppose you win the most ryder cup points?

Medinah Country Club? Very Happy

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:11 pm

I meant qualification points.

:doh:

That will teach me to be a smart ass towards kwini.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:14 pm

sirbenson, kwini - Holmes could go as high as #61 with win (could've gone #60 if St Jude was worth 36 pts). And despite being 18 places above Holmes, Overton could only move as high as #60 with win, so in order to get the final US Open ticket, he'll need Levin not to score anything (finish outside top 40) and a few others not to get ahead of him...

Agreed on JB, amazing comeback after all he's been through...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:29 pm

robopz wrote:
GPB wrote:I don't like the second top 60 deadline. An amateur like Speith has got to plan his trip with no guarantee of getting in the tournament. Plane tickets for the family can be a small fortune on short notice. Getting hotel reservations and deposits. With no guarantee of getting into the field.

I've got to disagree with you on both counts.

The way I see it... it doesn't matter what we think... it matters what Jordan Speith thinks. If he thinks it's unfair or too much of a hardship to wait until maybe Sunday evening to find out if he's in... then maybe he should have shot better in his qualifier, or he should have his name removed from the alternate list. Speith signed up to play an event with the big boys - and this is the way it works in big boy land - if he's not ready to do that... then don't sign up in the first place.

And I like the final OWGR 60 deadline after play this weekend, it helps ensure a better quality field (or at least it can). As you recall this change was brought about by players doing extremely well after the first deadline, making top-50... but not getting in. Like happened in 2010.... Rickie Fowler and Justin Rose were outside the top-50 using the single OWGR Top-50 cutoff. But Rickie made it to #32 and Rose made it to #33 the week before, but couldn't get in.

Bottom line... if its a choice between having these better players get in or concern about some alternate's hotel reservations and plane tickets... give me the better players every time.

Bottom Line: Rose and Fowler should have played better in the Qualifier. Wink

The final Top 60 deadline could have been established after the Memorial.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:30 pm

Mac,
Only just picked this up. Given that there are three criteria I'm not sure what you're after.

Provisionally each Major is worth the same amount, though that could change for The Open given gyrations in the exchange rate.

Stumped!

pd,
You can tell I was guessing, I was trying to be conservative with #63 given that there are still some wildcards out there.
JB's hitched a ride on the par train.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:32 pm

The point being he will gain more qualification points in majors than anywhere else. It will also increase his chances of a captains pick, assuming good major results, should he miss out.

It seems a simple rule. If you want to play in the Ryder cup perform well at the biggest events. I dont see how sitting at home helps.

If he can be arsed to attent the wgc matchplay then when cant he be bothered to play the US open?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:43 pm

1).Guaranteed money.
2).Nothing in Europe to conflict afterwards, plus the adjacency (made that word up, what would Richie Benaud say?) of Doral.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:44 pm

A rare departure from the woodwork by Daniel Chopra, in with a 65.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:48 pm

Kwini

Come on, are you really saying it makes sense to prioritise the bmw open over the US open?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:52 pm

Don't disagree with either side of the Paul Lawrie discussion, but personally find his decision disappointing rather than unacceptable (because I'd love to see him do well at the US Open).

He has written a short column for latest Golf World to address the issue "Is it OK to skip a Major?". Doesn't say much more than what we already knew - he has only made the cut at the US Open once, and feels his chances of earning more RC points in the round is by not making a disruptive/tiring trip over to US and instead focus on events in Europe. He's not expecting a wildcard pick, so wants to qualify by right.

Don't shoot the messenger - this is just paraphrasing what he is saying. It's worth pointing out though that he's surprised at the negative reaction, and didn't expect people to think it was a big deal for him to skip the event.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:06 pm

I don't know Lawrie's reasons for not playing in the US Open. But I would not overthink it, either ... it's a tournament that gives you a huge stage to play against some of (near all of) the top Ryder Cup players on the other team.

So, if you harbor any hope of being a captain's pick, show you want the challenge and competition and take the best opponents you can head on.

And, even if you make the team on points, how thrilled could any captain be you elected to sit out this tournament, especially since the RC will be played on US soil?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:13 pm

C'mon Rors, need an eagle there....!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:14 pm

Yahoo

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:20 pm

Yahoo

Sr,
All very well but do you apply the same advice to American no-showers at The Open or HSBC?

On a less controversial note, another solid round from Wayno, and signs of fitness and form from SO'H.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:28 pm

Harrington missed a 3'9 putt for par on the first needs to stop that and pronto!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:30 pm

and then a 2'5 putt for par on the 4th oh dear.

This maybe wrong.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:32 pm

I would absolutely apply the same advice to American no shows at The Open. HSBC? Nah, not a major stage. But I have no idea if a RC gig is even a primary objective for Mr. Lawrie.

Last night I had a chat a couple of friends who played a round with said O'Hair just before he went walking in Memphis. All claimed he was 100%, now we'll see if some better scoring follows. Not a bad start at all!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:34 pm

Yeah a PGA TOUR gaffe luckily....he made par.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:56 pm

Good rounds from Owen and Stenson, and another made cut by Gary Christian.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:21 pm

WOW!! Goooo Roooory!!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:23 pm

Wow from Rory there, massive drive and 7 iron to a few feet on a par 5
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:28 pm

OUCH!!! Doh

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:33 pm

Ror has never had 2 eagles in the same round? Surprising
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:37 pm

I'm sure that's just PGA Tour - they're oblivious to any other tournaments. Missing two tiddlers on the back nine - not good.

Harrington playing very nicely - unlucky for his bogey on #9, hitting it really well.

Wasted weeks for Z.Johnson, McDowell and Toms.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:56 pm

For God's sake, you better knock that one in, Rory...!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:04 pm

Anyone know what Henrik Stenson has to do to qualify for the US Open next week?

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:12 pm

Nothing he can do except watch it on the box.

But a win here would help him in his quest for an Open Championship berth.

Poor (bogey, double bogey) way for Karlsson to finish - there's another golfer who needs to retrieve his season/career.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:18 pm

Harrington really is hitting the ball as well as he has done this season just needs to find his putting game!

Karlsson seems to be a european player who is unable to adopt to the States....apart from his two results in this event he has done very little right.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:01 am

Bad few days for Spencer Levin, but a door will open for someone looking to go to San Francisco.
(Which come to think of it, he will - doesn't he live in Sacramento? Bitter sweet for sure!)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Caito Sat 09 Jun 2012, 9:00 am

Big difference with Lawrie vis a vis the Americans who miss the open. Unlike many of the US pros Lawrie is playing in tournaments across the whole world. So far this year his schedule has been South Africa, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Dubai, USA, USA, USA, China, Spain, Spain, England, Wales. So the country he has played in most is the States.

Lawrie can't really be accused of small minded parochialism with any credibility. He has made a priority call, in part influenced by his previous 4 unsuccessful appearances at the US open and his lack of Ryder cup caps. You might not agree with his prioritisation, I don't, but talk of it being disgraceful is, well, just daft really.

As mentioned many times on here Lawrie is one of the good guys, Open champion, great golfer, fantastic foundation, supports young pros, is kind to his mum and helps old ladies across the road. I think we can let him away with this one.

Anyway back to the golf, c'mon Rors.

Caito

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:55 am

Agree with that Caito thumbsup

Warmer day in prospect in Memphis today, could be a bit blustrous. Thiundershower action forecast for Sunday.

Another strong first two days by Greg Owen, now almost certainly qualified for The Barclays, probably just needs another $100K to be absolutely sure of keeping his card, certainly will have conditional status for 2013 at the very least.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:31 pm

Caito wrote:Lawrie can't really be accused of small minded parochialism with any credibility. He has made a priority call, in part influenced by his previous 4 unsuccessful appearances at the US open and his lack of Ryder cup caps. You might not agree with his prioritisation, I don't, but talk of it being disgraceful is, well, just daft really.

Couldn't agree more. Lawrie should decide for himself what his priorities are and how best to achieve them. From the comments I've read, Paul is VERY major centric... as in OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP major centric. If he feels going to the U.S. Open (on a type of setup where he has very little past success anyway) would negatively impact his OPEN prep... then stay home.

Now that said... I still agree with Jack Nicklaus' comments back when Kenny Perry was doing the same thing in skipping the U.S. Open qualifier and OPEN Championship, "Ryder Cup is for bragging rights, the majors are for history." If Lawrie played Olympic, who'll ever know if he might have "caught lightning in a bottle", for that week. He's playing well enough right now, that certainly wouldn't be outside the realm of reasonable possibility.

But still... his decision... and he's the one that will live with the result. Whatever his goals are... good luck.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Caito Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:49 pm

I agree robopz. If I was a pro golfer I wouldn't swap all of Monty's RC points or Orders of Merits for a single Open championship. The majors are, for me, what counts. The way Lawrie is playing if he had an OK week at the US open he'd get plenty of RC points, a good week and he'd be home and hosed for the team, a great week and who knows could be looking at major no 2. I think he should go but it is his call.

Caito

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:59 pm

If I am Ollie, I have a big problem with Ollie not playing is that Olympic and Medinah are cut basically from the same blueprint. Narrow tree lined fairways, lush rough and very fast greens.

I do think Lawrie is going to make the Euro RC team on merit, but if he doesn't, why would Ollie pick a player that basically has said he doesn't play well on those type of courses?

Lawrie would not be getting a benefit of a doubt. And it looks like there are going to be Euro players with very credible resume who will not make the team on merit

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next