The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calling out everyone that was entertained by the Chisora-Haye altercation!!

+6
KingMonkey
AlexHuckerby
azania
eddyfightfan
Rowley
Sugar Floyd Louis
10 posters

Go down

Calling out everyone that was entertained by the Chisora-Haye altercation!! Empty Calling out everyone that was entertained by the Chisora-Haye altercation!!

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 10 Jun 2012, 8:57 pm

I seemingly remember a long and tedious debate between a lot on here after that, one side being the boards must be intolerant and good on them for trying to take a stance on this.... the other being a "boxing isn't in the limelight" side which argued that for whatever happens in our beloved sport, regardless of whether it's is a good thing we need the 'publicity' etc

With what happened yesterday, twitter went ablaze, a lot was trendin, from #Mannyisstilltheworldsbestboxer to #TopRank, #BobArum, #Mayweather and even #RIPBoxing.

I'm wondering if everyone who doesn't mind our sport being in the spotlight for wrong reasons would now retract from this stance?

I can see points from either side but I'm not too sure boxing can afford to always be talked about for bad reasons.

We're all mugs really, I remember a video on youtube that was protesting and calling on all fans of boxing to boycott and not buy any PPVs from Manny or Floyd.. yet we still continue. Not sure who, but I even remember someone from this board starting a petition to put an end to the atrocious refereeing, now if all those people who were enraged last night and were tweeting away would have signed up we could've got that moving. We seriously need an end to all this.

BOXING FANS WE NEED TO WAKE UP, THE POWER IS IN OUR HANDS!!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Calling out everyone that was entertained by the Chisora-Haye altercation!! Empty Re: Calling out everyone that was entertained by the Chisora-Haye altercation!!

Post by Rowley Sun 10 Jun 2012, 8:59 pm

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:.

We're all mugs really, I remember a video on youtube that was protesting and calling on all fans of boxing to boycott and not buy any PPVs from Manny or Floyd.. yet we still continue.

In my defence I didn't continue, have not seen Mayweather Cotto to this day and did not watch Manny vs Bradley last night, some talk the talk, others walk the walk. It ain't easy being me though, don't even try.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Calling out everyone that was entertained by the Chisora-Haye altercation!! Empty Re: Calling out everyone that was entertained by the Chisora-Haye altercation!!

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 8:59 pm

the fans are powerless, its the money men making all the decisions are nobody else gets much of a say.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:02 pm

Eddy... how, it's clear they're definitely taking us for idiots now. It's simple though, we don't buy PPV then they make nothing.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:04 pm

Imagine the publicity a rematch will get. Manny trying to right an obvious wrong and Tim trying to justify the result.

Its a win win with a good 'story' to sell. Arguably it will be a better fight that the first which was a good fight. I'm looking forward to it.

It won#t harm boxing and if promoted properly it will be good. Everyone loves a good comeback.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:04 pm

It's true but how do you stop people from buying it?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:06 pm

We're all pawns in the eyes of the powers that be Crying or Very sad

They don't see lovers of a sport, nor care that they're messing about with our feelings - all they see is $$$$$$$$$$$

I'm sure Bob Arum is apart of that illuminati thing Laugh

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:09 pm

Self Discipline and Will Power Alex, you are not your brothers keeper, get your own house in order, from tiny acorns grow great oaks.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:09 pm

I vowed not to buy a fight again after Haye - Harrison and I've stuck by it. Streaming this stuff is so easy these days and the fights in Vegas I just can't be bothered with anyway, they ruin days that I can't afford to ruin.

We have very little power as fans, just look at the state of things, its beyond repair.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:10 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:It's true but how do you stop people from buying it?

Its a free market. People are free to decide. What is good about this is that now Bradley is a major player. What was initially a routine defense has moved onto something else. Bradley will soon be commanding bigger purses and every fight he is involved in will be noticed. Now he can attract more than flies in his hometown.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

rowley wrote:

We're all mugs really, I remember a video on youtube that was protesting and calling on all fans of boxing to boycott and not buy any PPVs from Manny or Floyd.. yet we still continue.

In my defence I didn't continue, have not seen Mayweather Cotto to this day and did not watch Manny vs Bradley last night, some talk the talk, others walk the walk. It ain't easy being me though, don't even try.

Problem is 1.5 million others did. furious

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:Eddy... how, it's clear they're definitely taking us for idiots now. It's simple though, we don't buy PPV then they make nothing.

the way i see it im not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. i love boxing and i want to see the divisions best compete. im not going to deny myself that pleasure in the hope that doing so will change the minds of the likes of bob arum, frank warren and such. i doubt they will be giving me a second thought. the cover that they pull over the casual fans eyes (fake belts, old names, unproven fighters they build up) will keep enough cash rolling in for them to make themselfs rich.

the main thing is not to take ever fight as its presented, make your own mind up and listen to some of the presenters who tell it like it actually is (of which there are many)

not buying ppvs or things like that are pointless.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:19 pm

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:
rowley wrote:

Problem is 1.5 million others did. furious

I did say it wasn't easy being me. I have to make do with the Zen like peace which comes with knowing I'm right, whether other people are bright enough to realise this is not something I can bother myself to worry about.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:27 pm

the site your a mod for probably does more to make money for these fights by building up awareness than your costing them though rowley. your fighting the unwinnable battle here

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:32 pm

You may well be right Eddy but as Mahatma Gandhi once put it:

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history"

That is a thought that helps me in the moments of self doubt.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:38 pm

Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed-Churchill

ill wait till after the fight

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 10 Jun 2012, 11:17 pm

rowley wrote:Self Discipline and Will Power Alex, you are not your brothers keeper, get your own house in order, from tiny acorns grow great oaks.

Not stopping yourself, stopping others and getting the message across to not buy the fight, how do you do that?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 10 Jun 2012, 11:22 pm

If last night can't get people to wake up then nothing will...

Then again someone pointed out in the Telegraph comments section that boxing's ALWAYS been political and had crooks messing about. This sport's moved on in so many ways but that's something that may never change I'm afraid.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 10 Jun 2012, 11:25 pm

Well you know my viewpoint on last night...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 11 Jun 2012, 7:41 am

I think there is something fundementally wrong if dodgy decisions or anti social behaviour are needed to promote a sport. Its getting dangerous close to pro wrestling territory.

Poor decisions in particular I think do absolutely nothing for the sport or the fans and if anything have the effect of driving people away from the sport. Personally I feel kind of sickened when I see a blatantly bad decision and it doesnt whet my appetitie for the sport in any way. Quite the opposite.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jun 2012, 7:51 am

The thing is the sport has become so marginalised that people genuinely believe the only way the sport can headlines is through bad results or press conference brawls and it is not the case, if you make the right matches there is still a demand for the sport. I had casual fans asking me about Haye Valuev and even Groves Degale which was a domestic match and no more.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:04 am

rowley wrote:The thing is the sport has become so marginalised that people genuinely believe the only way the sport can headlines is through bad results or press conference brawls and it is not the case, if you make the right matches there is still a demand for the sport. I had casual fans asking me about Haye Valuev and even Groves Degale which was a domestic match and no more.

I think Haye is an interesting example, and hes a guy that I wonder what his overall impact is. Hes great at getting people talking but the end product is usually a let down with him.

Theres no denying in Britain he got people talking and interested in boxing that in other circumstances would not be. But after his fights these casuals are unlikely to hang around the sport or be impressed. Plenty of people I know got into his fight with Audley and afterwards they thought it was all a bit of a farce. The Klitschko fight also disappointed alot of fans. So is it really a net positive? Personally I think theres no substitute for just a really top fight. It may need a little extra to get the non fan interested in the start, but if the fight doesnt deliver or throws up some kind of sham decision I dont think its going to hold the interest of a casual fan.

MMA for instance is often credited with really exploding onto the scene by virtue of Hagler/Hearns esque back and forth fight that was on a reality tv show. It was the action itself, not the build up that really brought the fans streaming.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:12 am

Haye is probably a poor example but was more talking in terms of build up, captured the public imagination without any brawls without any gang r**e comments, was simply sold as a David and Goliath battle and people where intrigued to see if Haye could overcome the giant.

The frustrating thing is there is not a lot wrong with the sport that cannot be cured, get consistent honest judging in place, make the right fights and if we are not going to get back to one belt per division at least reign in some of the interim, super, diamond and emeritus belt excesses.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:19 am

rowley wrote:Haye is probably a poor example but was more talking in terms of build up, captured the public imagination without any brawls without any gang r**e comments, was simply sold as a David and Goliath battle and people where intrigued to see if Haye could overcome the giant.

The frustrating thing is there is not a lot wrong with the sport that cannot be cured, get consistent honest judging in place, make the right fights and if we are not going to get back to one belt per division at least reign in some of the interim, super, diamond and emeritus belt excesses.

I agree. I actually think that matchmaking these days doesnt seem to be a problem. There are the odd noteabl exceptions but certainly from lightweight and above I think the right fights have been happening for the most part (Pac/Mayweather aside).

I think the sport needs to market itself better and start operating with more cohesiveness.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:11 am

rowley wrote:You may well be right Eddy but as Mahatma Gandhi once put it:

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history"

Didn't that guy deny his wife life saving drugs then when HE became terminally ill began popping pills like candy.........hypocrite but genius!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:22 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:
rowley wrote:You may well be right Eddy but as Mahatma Gandhi once put it:

Didn't that guy deny his wife life saving drugs then when HE became terminally ill began popping pills like candy.........hypocrite but genius!

No bleeding idea, I googled the quote last night, Ben Kingsley was good as him in the film though

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

The sport has no body that looks out for its best interests. All Sanctioning bodies and commissions are only interested in money. Most other sports have one or two bodies who look after the sport. Bodies like FIFA and UEFA do have financial dealings and are nowhere near perfect but they aren't damaging the sport.

All the power is between the promoter, TV company and sanctioning body and they all have money as their main motive. No one cares about the best interests of the sport.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 11 Jun 2012, 1:14 pm

Boxers are commodities used in an elaborate system of exchange. Similar to all proles. It's the story of our life not just boxing.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 11 Jun 2012, 1:24 pm

I started a petition, apathy killed it.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down