The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tour De France 2012 Discussion Thread

+23
ChequeredJersey
LastDamnation
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
spencerclarke
Mike Selig
LuvSports!
Statto00
Eyetoldyouso
Fernando
whocares
Imperial Ghosty
brennomac
JDizzle
owen10ozzy
phildange
alfie
djlovesyou
dummy_half
leslie case
Big
Zander
Josiah Maiestas
Good Golly I'm Olly
27 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Tour De France 2012 Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Tour De France 2012 Discussion Thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Jun 2012, 1:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

I thought I would start the ball rolling on the TDF 2012. It is less than a week away now.

My predictions:
Yellow Jersey: Bradley Wiggins - Gotta go with the Brit
Green Jersey: Peter Sagan - Imperious form and I think Cav will go for stage wins not the Jersey
Polka dot jersey: Anyone's guess. Probably a Frenchman.
White Jersey: Again up in the air.
Best Team: Team Sky or BMC for me.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Tour De France 2012 Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Tour De France 2012 Discussion Thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:52 pm

John wrote:It's getting worse for Cavendish. Sagan beating Greipal was a suprise on the flat and Liquigas have even got plans on getting him in yellow over the weekend but I can't see it.

Expecting fireworks tomorrow after a haul of GC contenders lost major time on Wiggins & Cadel. Attacks should be on the card tomorrow. Cavendish should just focus on the Olympics now, green jersey is gone and he offers nothing to Wiggins in terms of supporting him over the mountains.

Cavendish should stay in the tour though. Just to keep his fitness at its peak. Plus he can just go for another stage win or two.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Tour De France 2012 Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Tour De France 2012 Discussion Thread

Post by djlovesyou Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:25 pm

He shouldn't stay all the way, and he won't. Too close to the Olympic RR. (It is the first medal of the games).

Maybe another week, but no more.

Griepel didn't want to sprint today after falling twice. He was quite badly injured. His team made him do it, and he did the best he could.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:19 am

Ryder Hesjedal has abandoned due to injuries sustained yesterday and mainly due the time he lost. Hesjedal, 31, added: "'It's very disappointing to leave the Tour this way. I was in good form and feeling comfortable. I'll go home, keep working with the medical staff on my recovery, and re-focus everything on the Olympics."

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:39 am

I really don't know whether or not Cav will stay to the finish, all of the comments I've heard suggest that he will. In some ways I think it may be more likely rather than less likely now. It would be easier for him to drop out now if he had won the last two, and although it may not be the best decision I'd want to carry on now more than before in his shoes. If he stays til stage 13 he may as well do stage 14 for a shot at 15, then it's only a couple more mountain stages to get a shot at 18 and 20.

Besides as Tours go this is fairly flat and I'm not convinced that staying until the end will be as damaging to his Olympic chances as it might have been on another year. In fact thinking about it I wonder if the organises went for a flatter route with more emphasis on time trials to avoid too many pulling out or taking it easy for the sake of the olympics. Prior to now the cynic in me thought they'd made a Wiggins/Cadel friendly course for commercial reasons.

Massive shame about Hesjedal as he had the potential to challenge in the GC. The crash could really force a few riders to attack today, but I fear it may be the converse. If they've lost too much time they may decide to take it easy and use the rest of the tour as prep for whatever is next on their schedule.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:58 pm

Gutted about Hesjedal Sad

Have you seen the stage finish today? a cat 1 climb! Erm

Going to be a tough one and the first real challenge Wiggins will face.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm

Only five or six k though , isn't it ?

Don't think any of the big guys will have too much trouble today , but it will be interesting to see how good they all look on the climb.

Really rotten luck for Hesjedal ...was looking forward to seeing how he went in this Tour.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:38 pm

ha yeah only 5 or 6 Erm tis just to me, that seems an impossible thing to do to cycle up there!

Just depends on whether or not someone attacks on it I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by phildange Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:39 pm

We're gonna see if this Sagan could be the new thrilling champion I've been missing for so long . Can he be good at climbing too ? If he can, it will be a great promise for the future .

phildange

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

Very steep at the bottom and top of this hill, depends how fast they go up it and whether anyone attacks from the bottom. Not a good climb for Wiggins, it'll be about damage limitation for him up here. I'm going to go for Samuel Sanchez, although I hope this break stays away for other reasons.

I can't see how Cav can stay in till the end. The Olympics is only a matter of days after the finish.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by phildange Sat 07 Jul 2012, 3:45 pm

There are parts of the last climb at 22% and the last 200m at 28% !

phildange

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:15 pm

what a finish!

Froome crosses first for Sky! And I do believe Wiggins is in the yellow now!

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:19 pm

That all looked very very simple for Team Sky and more importantly Wiggins. Certainly showed he has the legs to stay in touch with Evans in the stages he is perhaps expected to lose time in.

I hope I don't jinx anything but on that showing their is only one winner of this years tour!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:20 pm

I dunno, I thought Wiggins struggled to keep in touch with Evans there myself. If Evans attacks earlier in other mountain stages, I think Wiggins could struggle. Team Sky are going to have to do everything to help him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:24 pm

Great ride by Wiggins and what a win for Froome! Wiggo in Yellow. Yahoo

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:24 pm

I see what you mean Rugby but my point is that this was one of the stages where Evans was supposed to lose Wiggins and gain some time...

On that showing I just don't think Wiggins will lose as much time as some people may think on the steeper stages..and with another TT to come and plenty of flatter stages I cant see him being caught!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:26 pm

I think it's going to depend on how much work his team does, Rogers and that were excellent for Wiggins today, it's whether or not they can keep up supporting him for me.

Still, a great ride, really enjoyed that stage!

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:34 pm

If Evans attacks?

Evans doesn't attack.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:40 pm

He did last hear dj OK

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:53 pm

He didn't really though. He won it in the TT.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:55 pm

He continuously attacked in the mountain stages. Sure he didn't end up breaking Shleck there but that's not to say he wasn't trying or doesn't attack, because he does Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sat 07 Jul 2012, 5:03 pm

He didn't need to attack as much in the mountains last year as he knew he was better in the time trial than Schleck however this year he will have to attack in the mountains as he is a weaker time trialist than Wiggins.

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 5:13 pm

How good is Froome? He came second in the GC of the Vuelta last year. Any chances of Froome competing for the GC in the TdF in future?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 5:21 pm

Thought team sky were superb today and congrats to froome on the stage win and wiggo in yellow.

Must admit the GC scrap is pretty weak this year and with the amount of TT's in the tour, I can't look beyond Wiggins. He will never have a better chance at winning this tour because Contador and Schleck will be back next year and there wont be the amount of TT next year. I do tend to agree the organisers didnt want an overly tough tour and the threat of riders pulling out before the olympics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 5:24 pm

how many TT's are there this year? Just the one more than usual, isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sat 07 Jul 2012, 5:25 pm

Nore Staat wrote:How good is Froome? He came second in the GC of the Vuelta last year. Any chances of Froome competing for the GC in the TdF in future?

Froome is looking good and at 27 he is 4 years younger than Wiggins who is pretty much at the peak age for a cyclist so hopefully he will be able to compete in the future. Also, had Wiggins helped Froome last year in the Vuelta, he could have won it.

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sat 07 Jul 2012, 5:27 pm

dreamer, there is one on Monday before the rest day and the usual one the day before the Champs-Elysees. Very Happy

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 5:28 pm

oh so not exactly all that different then Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sat 07 Jul 2012, 5:31 pm

Nope. Smile The TT on Monday is 38km long and the one at Stage 19 is 55km long.

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:39 pm

Thought Sky were completely dominant. Wiggins stayed with Evans on a stage that suits Evans more than Wiggins. Wiggo is looking really good for the Yellow now, and how good is Froome btw!! Where has he come from the last two years!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:52 pm

Olly wrote:Thought Sky were completely dominant. Wiggins stayed with Evans on a stage that suits Evans more than Wiggins. Wiggo is looking really good for the Yellow now, and how good is Froome btw!! Where has he come from the last two years!!!

Let's just hope he doesn't get in a crash anytime soon. warning

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:54 pm

Zander wrote:
Olly wrote:Thought Sky were completely dominant. Wiggins stayed with Evans on a stage that suits Evans more than Wiggins. Wiggo is looking really good for the Yellow now, and how good is Froome btw!! Where has he come from the last two years!!!

Let's just hope he doesn't get in a crash anytime soon. warning

Oh don't take anything for granted lol!!! Don't wanna jinx it censored

Just saying that that climb should have suited Evans. It was short and steep. Not something Wiggins is good at. But Brad stayed with Cadel and looked relatively comfortable. So when the longer less steep climbs come along I expect Brad will be able to stay with Cadel (hopefully Fingers Crossed )
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:01 pm

Olly, I agree. That climb did suit Evans and he was expected to gain time over Wiggins there so Wiggins is looking good so far. Yahoo From what I have read, Wiggo has worked a lot on his climbing ability and it looks to have paid off. Very Happy

Should be an exciting rest of the tour. Very Happy

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:03 pm

Zander wrote:Olly, I agree. That climb did suit Evans and he was expected to gain time over Wiggins there so Wiggins is looking good so far. Yahoo From what I have read, Wiggo has worked a lot on his climbing ability and it looks to have paid off. Very Happy

Should be an exciting rest of the tour. Very Happy

The Time Trial is on Monday right???

Tomorrow could be a stage for Nibali but I can't see much happening with so much left after the final climb. Maybe a day for the breakaway?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:33 pm

Looks like a breakaway day to me.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 2:50 am

Aside: if Bradley Wiggins were to win the Tour de France, and Andrew Murray were to win Wimbledon - I wonder who would make the biggest impact in the British newspapers and media ... and who would win the BBC sports personality of the year award. In my mind winning the Tour de France trumps Wimbledon but who can say for certain. However I think it would be predictable whom would receive the most attention from the British media.

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:28 am

Nore Staat wrote:Aside: if Bradley Wiggins were to win the Tour de France, and Andrew Murray were to win Wimbledon - I wonder who would make the biggest impact in the British newspapers and media ... and who would win the BBC sports personality of the year award. In my mind winning the Tour de France trumps Wimbledon but who can say for certain. However I think it would be predictable whom would receive the most attention from the British media.

I would have thought that Murray winning Wimbledon would trump Wiggins winning the tour, purely because it is a more popular event. That's in the short term though, we have a home Olympics between now and sports personality and both may be well down the list of popular wins by then.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:43 am

Sports Personality this year will be won by an Olympian. No matter if Brad wins the Tour or if Murray win Wimbledon. It will be won by an Olympian
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 Jul 2012, 1:43 pm

Crushing pace today. Just attack after attack. And now a crash and Sanchez is out. Valverde also went down but is back up
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 1:51 pm

It's an absolutely brutal stage. Gutted for Sanchez.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 Jul 2012, 1:53 pm

Should imagine many will struggle to finish in the time limit today. Sky doing a good job with Knees and Boasson Hagen atm. Just keeping it all together so far
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sun 08 Jul 2012, 4:18 pm

Well dine Pinot for being the first Frenchman to win a stage at this years TdF. thumbsup Good ride from Wiggins considering Evans made an attack at the end. Wiggins still in Yellow. Very Happy

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 4:30 pm

Cracking stage, and brilliant by Pinot, only 22 as well!

Glad Wiggins managed to cover the Evans attack too, I had a few moments of panic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 Jul 2012, 4:32 pm

Tomorrow is a really crucial stage. If Wiggins can build up a 30 second to a minute lead over Evans that will be a nice cushion to have going into the mountains.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 4:43 pm

There seems to be so many crashes - more than usual(?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sun 08 Jul 2012, 4:50 pm

Nore Staat wrote:There seems to be so many crashes - more than usual(?)

Some of the older riders were lying the blame with the young riders. Laugh

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:17 pm

Well, so far so good. Excellent rides from Cancellara and Chavanel with things starting to get exciting now. With that ride from Cancellara the stage may already be all but won, we shall see. Hopefully ITVPlayer won't let me down today... Erm

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:10 pm

Big wrote:Well, so far so good. Excellent rides from Cancellara and Chavanel with things starting to get exciting now. With that ride from Cancellara the stage may already be all but won, we shall see. Hopefully ITVPlayer won't let me down today... Erm

Spoke a little too soon! Both Wiggins and Froome have got over 20 seconds quicker than Cancellara through checkpoint 1! Whether they can keep that pace up is another matter.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by phildange Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:18 pm

Surprising Froome . Very good at climbing, very good at Time Trial, and he has not much experience yet, a precious help in great tours .
Maybe he will be THE British rider soon .

phildange

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:34 pm

What great rides from Wiggins and Froome! Wiggins putting time into Evans was important and a great stage win for Wiggins. Wiggins in first, Froome in third overall. Yahoo

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 4:42 pm

the GC is embarrasing this year, congrats to Wiggo/Froome and Sky but the opposition is so poor. Slightly disappointed with the tour this year in comparison to previous years. Another TT to come which is even longer, Brad's just gotta stay upright and he's won.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next