The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Make the Star Shine?

+18
Morgannwg
mowgli
sheephead
InjuredYetAgain
gowales
funnyExiledScot
ChequeredJersey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
emack2
ScarletSpiderman
Shifty
disneychilly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
fa0019
kiakahaaotearoa
caoimhincentre
red_stag
anotherworldofpain
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Make the Star Shine? Empty What Make the Star Shine?

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 9:29

2012 - IRB Junior Player of the Year: Jan Serfontein (South Africa)
2011 - IRB Junior Player of the Year: George Ford (England)
2010 - IRB Junior Player of the Year: Julian Savea (New Zealand)
2009 - IRB Junior Player of the Year: Aaron Cruden (New Zealand)
2008 - IRB Junior Player of the Year: Luke Braid (New Zealand)
2007 - IRB International U19 Player of the Year: Robert Fruean (New Zealand)
2006 - IRB International U19 Player of the Year: Josh Holmes (Australia)
2006 - IRB International U21 Player of the Year: Lionel Beauxis (France)
2005 - IRB International U19 Player of the Year: Isaia Toeava (New Zealand)
2005 - IRB International U21 Player of the Year: Tatafu Polota-Nau (Australia)
2004 - IRB International U19 Player of the Year: Jeremy Thrush (New Zealand)
2004 - IRB International U21 Player of the Year in association with Waterford Crystal: Jerome Kaino (New Zealand)
2003 - IRB U19 Player of the Year: Jean Baptiste Payras (France)
2003 - IRB U21 Player of the Year in assoc. with Waterford Crystal: Ben Atiga (New Zealand)
2002 - IRB U19 Player of the Year: Luke McAlister (New Zealand)
2002 - IRB U21 Player of the Year, in assoc. with Waterford: Pat Barnard (South Africa)
2001 - IRB Young Player of the Year: Gavin Henson (Wales)

Of these players identify at age group level as best player of the year very few make the star quality to the senior team.

World cup hero Jerome Kaino and Australian ball carrier Tatafu Polota-Nau probably the big successful story there follow by promise of Aaron Cruden. Some get to the level but ultimate are a bit dissapointment such as Luke McAlister and Isaia Toeava and not standing out like they do in the age group team.

Some not make the step up at all such as Ben Atiga, Braid and Fruean. Least say about Gavin Henson the better because (a) he was terrible and (b) will upset some fans to say that...and of course "jury still out" on Julian Savea and George Ford because they don't have a chance yet.

So can we make the prediction about the young talent? is the picking process justified? how they miss megastar like Dan Carter and Chris Ashton? do they rely on too much pick the player from the winning team? Is it fair to miss out star players from lesser change teams like Scotland, for example rising star Tim Visser and Shingler?

Where come from the stars of the game that not shining at this level? Will this year winner Jan Serfontein make the splash or belly flop for the growing up Springboks? and what is the magical sprinkle dust that turn an age group star into a adult world megastar?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

What Make the Star Shine? Empty Re: What Make the Star Shine?

Post by red_stag Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 9:42

Its a good discussion.

Personally I dont think the system is especially flawed or that there is any magic formula.

The guys who win are the guys who stand out in each particular U20 Rugby World Cup. It is performance based and only offers a window into how a player performed for about six weeks.

It makes perfect sense that some guys will peak there and then, never to progress further. Other lads will develop a year or two years later.

P.S. - I love your Henson comments !!
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 9:46

i always argue, talent makes a good player. talent and attitude make an exceptional player. i think if you look at the players that have made it they have both attributes.

I think you can see this even at the lower levels of sport. you have guys with so much talent and a terrible attitude and never fulfil that promise.

Then you have guys with the right attitude and maybe not as much talent and they become more valuable player to a team

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 9:46

Interesting post AWOP. Rugby is a team game. Every year we get awards to individual players who would be nothing without the players around them.

Sure we can look at moments of individual brilliance and make that stand out more in our minds when looking back on a tournament but really it's the collective effort that makes a win or a victory. Maybe these young kids stood out for breaking tackles or scoring tries but you stand out more in the memory if you are able to combine well with your team mates. It's all very well to get noticed but often it's the unnoticed work that makes a difference.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 9:55

Perhaps its because in many instances... truly world class players bypass U20 rugby altogether. JW was leading ENG at 19, George North the same. If he played George Ford would have improved ENG no end this year... the same goes if Goosen hadn't been injured for the boks.. thats probably 2 of the best U20 players in world rugby today, neither featured.

Did James O'Connor ever play U20 rugby?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 10:14

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Interesting post AWOP. Rugby is a team game. Every year we get awards to individual players who would be nothing without the players around them.

Sure we can look at moments of individual brilliance and make that stand out more in our minds when looking back on a tournament but really it's the collective effort that makes a win or a victory. Maybe these young kids stood out for breaking tackles or scoring tries but you stand out more in the memory if you are able to combine well with your team mates. It's all very well to get noticed but often it's the unnoticed work that makes a difference.

I read the artcile from NZ Herald yesterday about Conrad Smith (here is a LINK for those who think I am lying untrustable foreigner and so my thread dont get delete) : http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10815816

They saying that a lot of quiet work is done by Conrad Smith and make the all blacks successful and but he not ever get the big award of plaudit to "best center" and all talk was about BOD who did nothing on the tour. Which might be true except this artcle! and maybe he is the best center. It also remind me of Aaron Mauger who do so much for the all blacks but never the poster or the advertising campaign.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 10:23

He's a great example AWOP of a player who doesn't get a song and dance assessment of his performances because he's so consistent. You'd only sit up and notice if he wasn't there and then realise how much he does on attack and defence.

So he's a type of player who doesn't get the accolades but that is a good thing. When someone like SBW grabs the headlines and everyone talks about your special offloading abilities it's very hard to not go into a tackle and not have that mindset of I'm going to throw a miracle pass here.

What can you identify about Conrad Smith's game. He's not big but defensively he's very good in the tackle and positioning him and others around him on defence. He's not super quick but seems deceptively quick because he's able to break the line or avoid the tackle to get an offload.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 10:32

anotherworldofpain wrote:2012 - IRB Junior Player of the Year: Jan Serfontein (South Africa)
2011 - IRB Junior Player of the Year: George Ford (England)
2010 - IRB Junior Player of the Year: Julian Savea (New Zealand)
2009 - IRB Junior Player of the Year: Aaron Cruden (New Zealand)
2008 - IRB Junior Player of the Year: Luke Braid (New Zealand)
2007 - IRB International U19 Player of the Year: Robert Fruean (New Zealand)
2006 - IRB International U19 Player of the Year: Josh Holmes (Australia)
2006 - IRB International U21 Player of the Year: Lionel Beauxis (France)
2005 - IRB International U19 Player of the Year: Isaia Toeava (New Zealand)
2005 - IRB International U21 Player of the Year: Tatafu Polota-Nau (Australia)
2004 - IRB International U19 Player of the Year: Jeremy Thrush (New Zealand)
2004 - IRB International U21 Player of the Year in association with Waterford Crystal: Jerome Kaino (New Zealand)
2003 - IRB U19 Player of the Year: Jean Baptiste Payras (France)
2003 - IRB U21 Player of the Year in assoc. with Waterford Crystal: Ben Atiga (New Zealand)
2002 - IRB U19 Player of the Year: Luke McAlister (New Zealand)
2002 - IRB U21 Player of the Year, in assoc. with Waterford: Pat Barnard (South Africa)
2001 - IRB Young Player of the Year: Gavin Henson (Wales)

Of these players identify at age group level as best player of the year very few make the star quality to the senior team.

World cup hero Jerome Kaino and Australian ball carrier Tatafu Polota-Nau probably the big successful story there follow by promise of Aaron Cruden. Some get to the level but ultimate are a bit dissapointment such as Luke McAlister and Isaia Toeava and not standing out like they do in the age group team.

Some not make the step up at all such as Ben Atiga, Braid and Fruean. Least say about Gavin Henson the better because (a) he was terrible and (b) will upset some fans to say that...and of course "jury still out" on Julian Savea and George Ford because they don't have a chance yet.

So can we make the prediction about the young talent? is the picking process justified? how they miss megastar like Dan Carter and Chris Ashton? do they rely on too much pick the player from the winning team? Is it fair to miss out star players from lesser change teams like Scotland, for example rising star Tim Visser and Shingler?
Where come from the stars of the game that not shining at this level? Will this year winner Jan Serfontein make the splash or belly flop for the growing up Springboks? and what is the magical sprinkle dust that turn an age group star into a adult world megastar?

Laugh Oh, you are a one, AWOP, they'll be baying for your blood after that!! Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 10:33

BOD hasn't been among the world's best 2 centres for 5 years. I don't think anyone in rugby thinks he is above Smith. In fact I think many are beginning to feel it may be a good time now for him to walk away from test rugby... I can't see him getting into the test side for the lions... he'll need a real upsurge in performance (something we haven't seen in a couple of seasons now).

I would say that at the moment we are in a bit of a lull when it comes to centres.

about 5-8 years ago I think we were at a all time peak with players like Jauzion, BOD, Mortlock, Giteau, Umaga, De Villiers & Fioure all competiting with each other.

currently the quality isn't quite there bar Smith... all other sides have journeyman, fading giants or potentially great players i.e. Basteraud & Tuilagi but no standouts.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 10:34

...other than Nick de Luca?! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 10:35

ok ok... Jamie Noon & Earl Rose to be added to the list... bowed down to reality!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 10:37

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:You'd only sit up and notice if he wasn't there and then realise how much he does on attack and defence.

We certainly noticed in 2007 eh Kia steam

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 10:37

fa0019 wrote:ok ok... Jamie Noon & Earl Rose to be added to the list... bowed down to reality!
No Mat Tait? Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 10:44

jokes aside I think Matt Tait alongside Ollie Smith are 2 players ENG have wasted and other top tier nations would have nutured and utilised to far greater effect.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 10:46

fa0019 wrote:jokes aside I think Mat Tait alongside Ollie Smith are 2 players ENG have wasted and other top tier nations would have nutured and utilised to far greater effect.
Scots-qualified too! Cry

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 11:05

I think Wales has a lot to be positive about this year, a lot of our players have already made the grade to regional level, but in this batch there seems to be a lot of the pack who could make the grade and that is unusual for an U20 group.

We creamed Fiji and Samoa and generally their players are bigger than ours at this level, and most are in the New Zealand system as well as beating New Zealand and we also smashed Argentina off the park, who in turn beat France, Australia and Scotland with relative ease.

Talented backs in Wales is like grains of sand on a beach, so to say Ross Jones, Prydie, Matthew Morgan, Habberfield etc are promising is pretty normal in any U20 squad, but the front row and back row, especially Sampson Lee is very exciting!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 11:42

Shifty wrote:Talented backs in Wales is like grains of sand on a beach, so to say Ross Jones, Prydie, Matthew Morgan, Habberfield etc are promising is pretty normal in any U20 squad, but the front row and back row, especially Sampson Lee is very exciting!

When you think Luke Hamilton and Kirby Myhill have both had starts for their regions in the Rabo last season, and put in performances that made people notice them, things are looking promising. I should be interesting to see how much game time the young pack can get at regional level the coming season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 11:43

"We creamed Fiji and Samoa and generally their players are bigger than ours at this level, and most are in the New Zealand system as well as beating New Zealand and we also smashed Argentina off the park, who in turn beat France, Australia and Scotland with relative ease."

Irrelevant to the thread. Please keep on topic.

Also you contain deception by ommission of fact that Junior World Championship: Wales U20 6-30 New Zealand U20 (here is a LINK : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18424645 ) for those who worry I am lying.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 11:48

AWOP this is an excellent post in concise English,are you using some PC software to do this for you?could do with something like it myself.It is not your
usual mis chievious style at all schizo phrenia?Anyway the point is well made Aron Mauger was ARGUABLY THE best 12 in 2007 in the World.To be dumped for Luke M cAlister [a real SHOOTING star] one season at the top.HIS lack off the bench MAY have cost the AllBlacks the Match,a Final place,even a RWC.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 11:48

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
fa0019 wrote:jokes aside I think Mat Tait alongside Ollie Smith are 2 players ENG have wasted and other top tier nations would have nutured and utilised to far greater effect.
Scots-qualified too! Cry

Oh because scotland are well known for making the best of players *cough*

One of them got injured a lot, the other had personal problems and moved to France. Its not like either were overlooked by england.

Hardly Englands fault. Its like saying Gavin Henson getting injured and being a prize tw@t was the fault of the WRU.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 11:49

anotherworldofpain wrote: Least say about Gavin Henson the better because (a) he was terrible and (b) will upset some fans to say that...

PS this bit is funnies.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 12:02

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote: Least say about Gavin Henson the better because (a) he was terrible and (b) will upset some fans to say that...

PS this bit is funnies.

thank god he didnt bring that up.

imagine the chaos

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 12:05

fa0019 wrote:BOD hasn't been among the world's best 2 centres for 5 years. I don't think anyone in rugby thinks he is above Smith. In fact I think many are beginning to feel it may be a good time now for him to walk away from test rugby... I can't see him getting into the test side for the lions... he'll need a real upsurge in performance (something we haven't seen in a couple of seasons now).

I would say that at the moment we are in a bit of a lull when it comes to centres.

about 5-8 years ago I think we were at a all time peak with players like Jauzion, BOD, Mortlock, Giteau, Umaga, De Villiers & Fioure all competiting with each other.

currently the quality isn't quite there bar Smith... all other sides have journeyman, fading giants or potentially great players i.e. Basteraud & Tuilagi but no standouts.

Adam Ashley Cooper? Also add JD2 to your last group, and Jacques Fourier when he gets back
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 13:25

emack2 wrote:AWOP this is an excellent post in concise English,are you using some PC software to do this for you?could do with something like it myself.It is not your
usual mis chievious style at all schizo phrenia?Anyway the point is well made Aron Mauger was ARGUABLY THE best 12 in 2007 in the World.To be dumped for Luke M cAlister [a real SHOOTING star] one season at the top.HIS lack off the bench MAY have cost the AllBlacks the Match,a Final place,even a RWC.

Thanks to you emack. Well yesterday I get upset because a lot posters think I am just make the WUM and call me lying about true reference and I get very angry on the moderator and other colleague poster. But I reflect on my behaviour and realisate that I just get wound up by some posters make a fun out of me. So I refocus my effort on get better English and make more sensical the posting and not so flipper.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 13:27

anotherworldofpain wrote:
emack2 wrote:AWOP this is an excellent post in concise English,are you using some PC software to do this for you?could do with something like it myself.It is not your

Thanks to you emack. Well yesterday I get upset because a lot posters think I am just make the WUM and call me lying about true reference and I get very angry on the moderator and other colleague poster. But I reflect on my behaviour and realisate that I just get wound up by some posters make a fun out of me. So I refocus my effort on get better English and make more sensical the posting and not so flipper.

are you yoda????

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 13:30

caoimhincentre wrote:

are you yoda????

Rolling Eyes

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 13:49

Boo, bring back flipper Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 13:50

It's actually a very interesting question - why do some players make the grade whilst others don't?

Obviously it ignores the incumbant international. It's all good and well being a superstar 10 at the age of 19, but if you happen to be an All Black, chances are you're still going to be watching Dan Carter for most of your career.

To be fair, most on the list have become internationals, albeit not superstars. It's just extremely hard to predict at that age how some players will turn out. Some peak early, whereas others work hard on their game and develop.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 13:51

Nah, that's AWoP.

We've all heard of these players, but none of them are the best in their position. Kaino perhaps, and that's a recent thing. Couple of years back he couldn't play 2 good games in a row. Now he's off to Japan, that's probably the last we'll see of him playing 'consistently'.

Does being awarded the junior IRB award spoil these kids? Perhaps they believe their own hype as youngsters and they forget they still have to work hard and learn. Few years down the track, and they're back in the pack with the also rans.

Still too early to tell with Savea. He had a shocker last year but is doing well at the canes. Cruden started slow but only now seems to be showing his promise.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 13:55

Polota-Nau also starts for Australia these days, and Beauxis started several games for France in the 6 Nations.

Also watch out for Ben Atiga. I predict he'll be world class by the end of this season......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 13:57

funnyExiledScot wrote:Polota-Nau also starts for Australia these days, and Beauxis started several games for France in the 6 Nations.

Also watch out for Ben Atiga. I predict he'll be world class by the end of this season......

That wouldn't ahve anything to do with where he is heading to play his rugby next season? Whistle
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 13:59

Good point EBOP. If you think back to your school days, you always had an early developer who rang rings round the other kids. But typically those players were lazy in training as they had a natural advantage and didn't need to work hard.

There was a theory in a book called 10 000 hours that top footballers tended to be young and at a young age were put in a group of older kids. It had the effect of making them stronger as players because they needed to find ways to make up for their physical disadvantage.

Perhaps these stars in the tournaments stood out physically and so thought that would always be the case and never grew as players in other important areas.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 14:35

ChequeredJersey wrote:
fa0019 wrote:BOD hasn't been among the world's best 2 centres for 5 years. I don't think anyone in rugby thinks he is above Smith. In fact I think many are beginning to feel it may be a good time now for him to walk away from test rugby... I can't see him getting into the test side for the lions... he'll need a real upsurge in performance (something we haven't seen in a couple of seasons now).

Adam Ashley Cooper? Also add JD2 to your last group, and Jacques Fourier when he gets back

Most Australians don't even rate Ashley-Cooper that highly at 13, mainly because he doesn't ever pass the ball. Compared to the old guard there is definitely a lack of quality.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 20:20

It's interesting(ish) that the vast majority of winners are backs. Is it easier to stand out as a back or are the forwards much of a muchness size- an skill-wise at that age?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 20:45

anotherworldofpain wrote:"We creamed Fiji and Samoa and generally their players are bigger than ours at this level, and most are in the New Zealand system as well as beating New Zealand and we also smashed Argentina off the park, who in turn beat France, Australia and Scotland with relative ease."

Also you contain deception by ommission of fact that Junior World Championship: Wales U20 6-30 New Zealand U20 (here is a LINK : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18424645 ) for those who worry I am lying.

What are you on about. Who is he trying to deceive? Even with the link you've provided they still did a lot better than the teams you supposedly support.

If we're on the topic of deception by omission shall we start by the omission of the truth I.e the <swearing removed> you spout in every post =D good day

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Jun 2012 - 3:24

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:He's a great example AWOP of a player who doesn't get a song and dance assessment of his performances because he's so consistent. You'd only sit up and notice if he wasn't there and then realise how much he does on attack and defence.

So he's a type of player who doesn't get the accolades but that is a good thing. When someone like SBW grabs the headlines and everyone talks about your special offloading abilities it's very hard to not go into a tackle and not have that mindset of I'm going to throw a miracle pass here.

What can you identify about Conrad Smith's game. He's not big but defensively he's very good in the tackle and positioning him and others around him on defence. He's not super quick but seems deceptively quick because he's able to break the line or avoid the tackle to get an offload.
Kia, you'll probably know, is it true that Conrad didn't play in the baby blacks or in any national age grade teams? Wasn't he a relatively late comer to rugby, like when he went to Uni or around that time? Could be wrong, anyone know?

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Sat 30 Jun 2012 - 4:17

caoimhincentre wrote:

are you yoda????

no, yoda is real

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 30 Jun 2012 - 15:42

sheephead wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:"We creamed Fiji and Samoa and generally their players are bigger than ours at this level, and most are in the New Zealand system as well as beating New Zealand and we also smashed Argentina off the park, who in turn beat France, Australia and Scotland with relative ease."

What are you on about. Who is he trying to deceive? Even with the link you've provided they still did a lot better than the teams you supposedly support.

If we're on the topic of deception by omission shall we start by the omission of the truth I.e the <swearing removed> you spout in every post =D good day

Poor ghost, still depresesd over the fact Wales were the first to beat his beloved Baby Blacks laughing. Give up the act and practice being a fan that has an ounce of dignity, you could learn a lot from the other Kiwi posters on this forum. (This doesn't include emack btw, he isn't a real Kiwi).

Emack Hug
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 30 Jun 2012 - 17:26

EBOP wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:He's a great example AWOP of a player who doesn't get a song and dance assessment of his performances because he's so consistent. You'd only sit up and notice if he wasn't there and then realise how much he does on attack and defence.

Kia, you'll probably know, is it true that Conrad didn't play in the baby blacks or in any national age grade teams? Wasn't he a relatively late comer to rugby, like when he went to Uni or around that time? Could be wrong, anyone know?

I think that's right EBOP. He made a few age group teams for Taranaki before making his move to Wellington but wasn't really involved in the age group set up in a national sense. He's a qualified lawyer so is one of those rare ABs that seems to have a life outside the sport. Probably because he wasn't involved in the national age groups growing up. He doesn't like the gym and seems like somebody you'd like to have a beer with, much like Eric Rush. Not someone like Anton Oliver who was scarily bright but came across as a smug pr**k. Not his fault really but multisyllabic words coming out of a front row prop seem as foreign as sensible words coming out of Puff Divvy's mouth. Very Happy

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 1 Jul 2012 - 1:02

Knew Rushy from Otahuhu/ Esat Tamaki and Uni days Kia. Really nice fulla but never, ever drank. Dont believe he ever has. He'd be out with the boys alright but never went silly...like the rest of tem/ us back then Whistle

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Sun 1 Jul 2012 - 20:19

Perhaps it was because Ashton was a league player until 2007 and came through Wigan's development programme.

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 21:06

Nuclear fusion.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 21:16

Morgannwg wrote:

Nuclear fusion.

True dat.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 21:20

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Nuclear fusion.

True dat.
Doh And all this time I though someone left the lights on.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 11 Jul 2012 - 14:02

Morgannwg wrote:
still depresesd over the fact Wales were the first to beat his beloved Baby Blacks laughing

Yes, it's all about Wales and their proud history of triumph over new zealand. picard

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 11 Jul 2012 - 14:14

Morgannwg wrote:
still depresesd over the fact Wales were the first to beat his beloved Baby Blacks laughing

Yes, it's all about Wales and their proud history of triumph over new zealand. picard

That was a bit of a delay to bring that arguement back up.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 11 Jul 2012 - 14:19

I was busy.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 11 Jul 2012 - 14:24

AWOP - but if you've been on here posting pretty consistantly, I would have presumed you would have seen his comment and replied earlier than that (what a week and a half), unless you were trying to stir up a bite ona quiet afternoon of course. Whistle
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 11 Jul 2012 - 14:28

There was a back log scarlet. And now I am get to it.

If posters want to make a comment that I CANNOT respond to then they should marking it some how.,

Plus I was banned most of last week so some things stack up! like dirty dishes!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 11 Jul 2012 - 14:39

you were banned???

Why??

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next