The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

james hook, chance to shine!!!

+5
wales606
majesticimperialman
Seagultaf
Gatts
gavstar
9 posters

Go down

james hook, chance to shine!!! Empty james hook, chance to shine!!!

Post by gavstar Wed 19 Oct 2011, 1:36 am

every time he's picked 'chance to shine ' is mentioned,( don't know why , they never say that about any other player!!) why is that then? answer hookies?

when he doesnt 'shine' his fans go very,very, quiet., and usually slag everyone else off. SO IS THIS IT!!!! or doesn't it really matter as far as hook is concerned?

I don't think it matters how he does to be honest, talking to some french friends tonight, he'll be utility back at perpignan until they find out what they've got mmmmmm

gavstar

Back to top Go down

james hook, chance to shine!!! Empty Re: james hook, chance to shine!!!

Post by Gatts Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:48 am

I am afraid that is exactly what Hook will become, head utility back and therefore will probably turn into supersub.

I am not a great fan right now, i do not believe he is a good 10 and would like to see him at 13 in space and with more time; he is not a 10 by comparison with RP and is often found out with his rangy running.
I also do not see him as a 15.
But the problem is he is so talented at rugby he can do a job anywhere and because that has been exploited i believe he is becoming de skilled in the position specific demands of a professional international backline
I can see his potential but the root of this issue is the advice he is getting...he says he will play anywhere to wear red, perhaps he is cutting off his nose to spite his face.

I hope Perpignan does for him what CA did for SJ and that he comes back as a much stronger player with a position of choice

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:53 am

Played some of his best rugby in the centre, but unfortunately defence and turnovers let him down. lack of speed and out of position at fb, decision making, management frailties at 10, I dont know which position will be the best to work on? he says 10, but maybe the decision wont be his to make.

as for playing anywhere for the shirt, has anyone ever refused to play?
'we have to find a place for him' by the coaches is not helping anyone.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 19 Oct 2011, 6:53 pm

I am still convinced that Jones is still carrying an injury, otherwise surely Gatland would not pick him again?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:07 pm

when, if ever will we find out if sj is/was still injured, could be a lot to do with the drop goal and near conversion, it was a calf injury, kicking leg or other? he did say in the press he kept trying to get nearer the goal for the drop, he has kicked drops from further.

no excuse making I know, if your on the bench you should be fit to play, but who else did we have to put there? maybe he cant last on the calf for 80 mins, but hes our only choice for the bench.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:58 pm

I think Hook is a bad choice to have at 10, I dont know if SJ is injured or not,But if he isnt injured that Gatland should play SJ at 10 on put Hook on e the bench.....But what do i know about the game better than What Gatland does.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:03 pm

er. that Hook is not a 10

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:42 pm

its political. hook has always been 'the peoples choice' according to the western mail, maybe this is the only way gat and co can covince the people otherwise.

heard from a well known face that shaun edwards has never rated him.mmm

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:54 pm

gavstar wrote:its political. hook has always been 'the peoples choice' according to the western mail, maybe this is the only way gat and co can covince the people otherwise.

heard from a well known face that shaun edwards has never rated him.mmm

Good point, b*allsing up a WC SF and 3/4 would certainly put him out of sight out of mind in France (everyone will be too busy watching a weird shade of Orange/Blue)

Hook is a good player, but not in the best of form and has weaknesses in any position you pick him in - I hope he sorts this out away from Johnson and co in France.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:26 pm

Seagultaf wrote:I am still convinced that Jones is still carrying an injury, otherwise surely Gatland would not pick him again?

No he is not injured he played like he is injured for 3 years, slow.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:54 pm

if sj is so bad glam why do they keep picking him, with such 'mecurial talent' like hook? folk, stranger than fiction.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 20 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

gavstar:

I wish I knew, SJ is steady, experienced etc means he does nothing even a one eyed supporter can see he is slow hence can't make breaks, kick outs/restart are dire and he will not take responsibility on himself well demonstrated in the last game. Hook was poor after the sending off but like SJ not enough game time during the RWC 3 mins at the end of aa game already won.

SJ has no future so I can see why Gatland has not picked him to start, I think it was a waste of time taking SJ to the RWC as he was not available at the start and it would have given say Tovey experience for 4 years time, other than that Gatland's selections were good.

Hope it is a good game, enjoy

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Thu 20 Oct 2011, 5:03 pm

I think we deserve to enjoy this game, lets hope we do. if we start ping ponging the ball and kicking it away the dog is on a promise-------for a long walk that is, before the game is over!

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 20 Oct 2011, 5:25 pm

Its a travesty that the Ospreys rated Biggar better than Hook at 10. He hasnt played there for the Ospreys much in the last 2 seasons. His move to France will see him get time at 10 and he will get better the more he plays there.

The sad reality is that he may never break into the Welsh first team again for a couple of reasons.

A) The French league is impossibly long and though. Perpignan will want their pound of flesh. They will expect to play Hook when ever he is available.

B) In France they play you when you are not 100% fit. This potentially will result in unnesseccary injuries.

C) He failed to get the required release in his contract outside of the international windows. His agent stated earlier in the year that such contracts are not on the table and would have devalued his playing offer.

D) The emphasis in France is on the match. They have a relaxed outlook on Training and an even more relaxed view conditioning.

F) He signed a 3 year contract with Perpignan, thus killing any chance of a buyout by a Welsh region should the move turn sour and wanting to move home.

The same applies to both Phillips and Byrne but I think they are coming to the tail end of their careers so its understandable that they are thinking about the retirement fund.

I know people say look at what France did for SJ and all that but I cant think of a single player who improved during the period since SJ went their. That said I can think of a couple who have had their careers ended prematurly because player welfare is not very high on the agenda over there.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 20 Oct 2011, 5:32 pm

From the England point of view Haskell and especially Palmer seem to have improved in France

As for hook, saying 'Wales want win for player who got himself sent off for dangerous play' doesnt come over as all that smart

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 20 Oct 2011, 8:10 pm

I couldn't care if he wants to win for Gavin Henson...JUST furious mad WIN!!!!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 20 Oct 2011, 11:52 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:Its a travesty that the Ospreys rated Biggar better than Hook at 10. He hasnt played there for the Ospreys much in the last 2 seasons. His move to France will see him get time at 10 and he will get better the more he plays there.

The sad reality is that he may never break into the Welsh first team again for a couple of reasons.

A) The French league is impossibly long and though. Perpignan will want their pound of flesh. They will expect to play Hook when ever he is available.

B) In France they play you when you are not 100% fit. This potentially will result in unnesseccary injuries.

C) He failed to get the required release in his contract outside of the international windows. His agent stated earlier in the year that such contracts are not on the table and would have devalued his playing offer.

D) The emphasis in France is on the match. They have a relaxed outlook on Training and an even more relaxed view conditioning.

F) He signed a 3 year contract with Perpignan, thus killing any chance of a buyout by a Welsh region should the move turn sour and wanting to move home.

The same applies to both Phillips and Byrne but I think they are coming to the tail end of their careers so its understandable that they are thinking about the retirement fund.

I know people say look at what France did for SJ and all that but I cant think of a single player who improved during the period since SJ went their. That said I can think of a couple who have had their careers ended prematurly because player welfare is not very high on the agenda over there.

Name them then
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down