The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Del Potro v. Ferrer

+5
invisiblecoolers
Jeremy_Kyle
Danny_1982
Seifer Almasy
carrieg4
9 posters

Go down

Del Potro v. Ferrer Empty Del Potro v. Ferrer

Post by carrieg4 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:28 pm

Finding this one very hard to call.

Neither are natural grass court players. Ferrer holds 4 - 2 H2H including their only meeting on grass (in 2008) and both meetings since DPs return from injury. However, if DP brings his A game, I can see him running away with the match. Certainly not a match I am going to bet on.

Thoughts?

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Del Potro v. Ferrer Empty Re: Del Potro v. Ferrer

Post by Seifer Almasy Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:31 pm

Del Potro all the way.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:32 pm

Seifer Almasy wrote:Del Potro all the way.

Could well happen. What is your reasoning?

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:35 pm

I haven't seen either play at W thise year yet but going by past form and grass court pedigree I agree it's a tough one to call.

Ferrer - moves very well, has reasonable net skills.
DP - Bigger serve, flatter, faster FH, but not such a good mover (for his size)

I'm gonna go with DP purely based on what I saw from him last year against Rafa where he pushed him very hard for four sets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:35 pm

I agree. It's tight. I ever so slightly favour Delpo but finding it really tough to call. Ferrer had a great win over Roddick, a win which surprised me and no doubt many on here. It's the classic opposites match of movement vs power.

Im also not sure who I'd prefer to win. I want Murray to do well, and I'm thinking that he would kill Delpo with the slice and his movement. But then if Delpo just has a hit it's a big danger for Murray.

With Ferrer, Murray is a better grass player but the little fella doesn't give up on anything, and did beat him a few weeks ago.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:37 pm

I think Murray would much prefer Ferrer.

DP has the potential to take the game off Murray's raquet. Ferrer doesn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:39 pm

Predicting a five set thriller. JMDP always blows hot and cold during a best of five and will always give you chances that Ferrer's sheer consistancy will punish. Depends if this goes under the roof, if it does then JMDP is my favourite due to his power and serve advantage.

3-2 to JMDP

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:40 pm

carrieg4 wrote:
Seifer Almasy wrote:Del Potro all the way.

Could well happen. What is your reasoning?

He is a slam winner on fast court
He is coming back into form
Both have not been past 4th round of Wimby.
He is 23 to Ferrer 30. Fresh legs, in prime.

I think Del Potro will kill him (I will go Del P in 4)... And I have liked how he has looked this tournament too.
It will be a miracle if Del P finishes career on 1 slam.

Ferrer did win their last match this year but as I say, this is a slam now and Del P is looking good!

Last edited by Seifer Almasy on Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:43 pm

It really could go either way. Wish I wasn't at work Monday so I could watch it live Cry

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:48 pm

Ferrer for me.

Movement will be the key. Ferrer's groundstrokes won't break down like Nishikori's did yesterday. Del Potro was run close by Haase and that for me lies in where the problem is for Del Potro. Playing guys who can keep the ball in play.

I think Del Potro will be a menace during the HC season in the states.

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:51 pm

It could be the match of the tournament so far for me. Really looking forward to it.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:53 pm

David Ferrer mentioned in the match of tournament points to one thing.....your on drugs!!! Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:55 pm

Hi LK Hug

Could be that my cold medication is affecting me! I am intrigued by the contrast in styles though. I think it could make for a great contest.

It could also be very dull but I am hoping for the former.

I have always had a soft spot for the little fella - gotta respect that work ethic.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:57 pm

Aye Ferrer is a good little mover on the court, but for the match to be quite the spectacle heavily relies on the Del Potro FH and Ferrer retriving those powerful shots.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun 01 Jul 2012, 5:34 pm

I'll go for Delpo, by far the better player of the two, although I reckon on the distance the match may get a little complicated. I don't buy the theory that Delpo is not a good grass court player, certainly he is a better grass courter than Ferrer: better server, volleyer and obviously his shot making ability stand apart. On the contrary Ferrer grinding skills might work just not as effectively on grass, and you are pretty sure he will bottle before the final, either in this round or in the semis.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 01 Jul 2012, 7:28 pm

Del Potro always struggled against Ferrer, this would be very interesting, yea certainly very difficult to bet on.

Yes both are poor grass court players but both have never say die attitude.
While Ferrer is mentally and physically strong, DP has a better game for fast courts, so its 50-50 in my view.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 7:38 pm

Roll on tomorrow!

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 01 Jul 2012, 7:46 pm

as long as rock beats scissors, i am comfortable with DP pouring cold water over ferrer on mowtown monday.

7-6 6-3 6-3
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 01 Jul 2012, 7:59 pm

emancipator wrote:I think Murray would much prefer Ferrer.

DP has the potential to take the game off Murray's raquet. Ferrer doesn't.

Well this Murray fan wouldn't and Del P's potential has previously delivered 1 win in 6. The Argentinean is great for Murray as he's simply not a great mover and is would get cut up with Murray's low slice on Grass

Of course there's always a fear that the power DP has will result in light's out Tennis and batter Murray to submission - but it's a bit of an urban myth that Murray is ever beaten by power. During the past 2 years, at Slam's other than Nole and Rafa, he's lost to Wawrinka and Ferrer - good all court players

Here's hoping DP wins - although I fear Ferrer will, people are too seduced by power

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 01 Jul 2012, 8:05 pm

DP last year gave nadal a far harder match than muzza.

nadal was concerned enough by DP to fake the need for a trainer, nadal could sense muzza was about to decline and play defensively, nothing to fear.

DP would not be in andy's best interests, he wants ferrer.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:10 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:DP last year gave nadal a far harder match than muzza.

nadal was concerned enough by DP to fake the need for a trainer, nadal could sense muzza was about to decline and play defensively, nothing to fear.

A simplistic approach - it's about match ups. Murray is a nightmare for Del Potro because;-

1) He returns his serve with interest - immediately pulling DP out of his comfort zone, this makes him try harder with serving leading to more errors
2) Murray's slice makes it very hard for the rather cumbersome DP to cope with the low fast bounce on the grass
3) Psychologically he already has an issue with playing Murray. When they last met - he openly admitted to that he doesn't know how to beat him

When the draw was made. I stated that the draw was a nigthmare with DP being the least of them. The only saving grace is that's it's nearly 3 years since they last met - although I'd argue that Murray has improved the most since

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:16 pm

banbrotam wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:DP last year gave nadal a far harder match than muzza.

A simplistic approach - it's about match ups. Murray is a nightmare for Del Potro because;-

1) He returns his serve with interest - immediately pulling DP out of his comfort zone, this makes him try harder with serving leading to more errors
2) Murray's slice makes it very hard for the rather cumbersome DP to cope with the low fast bounce on the grass
3) Psychologically he already has an issue with playing Murray. When they last met - he openly admitted to that he doesn't know how to beat him

When the draw was made. I stated that the draw was a nigthmare with DP being the least of them. The only saving grace is that's it's nearly 3 years since they last met - although I'd argue that Murray has improved the most since

I agree with this assessment - let's not get ahead of ourselves though - he has to beat Cilic before either DP or Ferrer become an issue!

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:18 pm

I agree that Murray is a bad matchup for DP, and if it follows the script then one would expect Muray to beat him. However DP does have the potential to take the match away from Murray (however unlikely) regardless of how well Murray plays.

Ferrer on the other hand will just grind away and Murray can grind with the best of them, hence he will only lose to Ferrer if he has an off day.

That's how I see it.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:19 pm

Good to see you back carrieg4

Worry not - I'n not underestimating Cillic!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:24 pm

emancipator wrote:I agree that Murray is a bad matchup for DP, and if it follows the script then one would expect Muray to beat him. However DP does have the potential to take the match away from Murray (however unlikely) regardless of how well Murray plays.

Ferrer on the other hand will just grind away and Murray can grind with the best of them, hence he will only lose to Ferrer if he has an off day.

That's how I see it.

ghost

emancipator

I half agree -but I don't actually think the game is on DP's raquet. If Murray decides to get involved in some kind of forehand hitting competiton then, yes, he loses and easily

Fortunately, Andy is at his intelligent and varied best as I think he relishes playing the likes of DP

It's the single backhanders and players of variance that trouble him and always have - he's not very good at having the same done to him

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:28 pm

Thanks Banbro Smile

I've really missed talking tennis on here. Looking forward to tomorrow's matches - on iplayer sadly but maybe that's better for the nerves!

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:57 pm

I don't have a lot of faith in Del Po on grass he is very tall and all the lower skidding balls and slice are going to be very difficult for him. The grass courts expose weaknesses in movement I don't see him as a serious threat in the tournament. He is a better player on hardcourt and on clay than on grass. Murray is a bad matchup for Del Po as banbro says, also Del Po has been having his difficulties against Fed and Novak as well. He has to find away to break out of the hex the top guys have over him.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 01 Jul 2012, 11:32 pm

socal1976 wrote:I don't have a lot of faith in Del Po on grass he is very tall and all the lower skidding balls and slice are going to be very difficult for him. The grass courts expose weaknesses in movement I don't see him as a serious threat in the tournament. He is a better player on hardcourt and on clay than on grass. Murray is a bad matchup for Del Po as banbro says, also Del Po has been having his difficulties against Fed and Novak as well. He has to find away to break out of the hex the top guys have over him.

Completely agree with u here Socal, Hug , inspite o Hug inspite of being a DP fan i guess Ferrer will come through coz of his movements in grass.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 01 Jul 2012, 11:54 pm

Del Po still has niggles from the previous FOs. Ferrer the terrier (or terror) is not bad on fast courts (just won Den Bosch on grass).

He can absorb a lot of pace, and has an iron defence.

I would say it is 55-45 Ferrer v DelPo.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:08 am

Yes that is the way i see it IC, that is why you don't typically see the super tall guys do well on the tour but this is especially exacberated by the lower bounce and poorer footing on grass. Still that is the beauty of the tour the outdoor US Hardcourts that Del Po thrives on will be coming up.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 02 Jul 2012, 9:10 am

Ferrer on grass is a joke banbro. This has been his only good year and DP is past his injury problems now, I don't see DP going too aggresively cause he knows that isn't the way to beat Ferrer, this is not a surface where Ferrer can do anything to Murray, DP is in his prime.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:10 pm

socal1976 wrote:I don't have a lot of faith in Del Po on grass he is very tall and all the lower skidding balls and slice are going to be very difficult for him. The grass courts expose weaknesses in movement I don't see him as a serious threat in the tournament. He is a better player on hardcourt and on clay than on grass. Murray is a bad matchup for Del Po as banbro says, also Del Po has been having his difficulties against Fed and Novak as well. He has to find away to break out of the hex the top guys have over him.

We saw how the better move Bagdahtis struggled at times with the Murray slice - goodness knows how DP will cope if the atmosphere is damp. Looking at the weather, it's Ferrer in 4 for me

And they'll be playing tommorow

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Ferrer on grass is a joke banbro.

But still has a better record than DP Rolling Eyes I appreciate your points about DP, but come on his injury problems were two years ago - so there were no excuses for last year

And stop this belittling of players I suspect you don't rate. DP has spent nearly all his time ranked below Ferrer despite the Spaniard being a "joke" on grass

And he didn't look a joke against the still dangerous Roddick

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:19 pm

And stop this belittling of players I suspect you don't rate.
Its by far his poorest slam, the Roddick he beat is the same one who lost to Roger Vasselin at Queens.

Its not illegal to bash players either.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:35 pm

[quote="Josiah Maiestas"]
Its not illegal to bash players either.

You're correct. It just shows a total lack of class. If that's how you want to come across or run your life - then it's a free world, but don't be surprised when others comment about your lack of respect

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:04 am

Would it be mean to remind some posters of their predictions here? devil Laugh

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:18 am

Well I got it right I didn't think it would even be competitive. Del Po has never been past a third round at wimby. He needs to add to his game at this point it is too mechanical.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jul 2012, 8:54 am

carrieg4 wrote:Would it be mean to remind some posters of their predictions here? devil Laugh

There does seem to be a poster who feels that with 'correct' predictions makes them a universal tennis expert Laugh

The BBC are so limited in their highlights. I saw some of the rallies and well you can't help but take your hat off to Ferrer. Very very good performance. Del Potro's FH was misfiring and Ferrer was able to punish him.

Murray will have his work cut out for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed 04 Jul 2012, 9:00 am

I hope you are happy now Ferrer!
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 04 Jul 2012, 9:07 am

i should have seen this result, i never really thought DP would be so useless with a low bouncing ball especially as he'd destroyed Nishikori the round before.

Can't get them all correct I suppose, still I have a 75% success rate for predictions.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jul 2012, 9:10 am

Can't get them all correct I suppose, still I have a 75% success rate for predictions.

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down