The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club news for Scots players

4 posters

Go down

Club news for Scots players Empty Club news for Scots players

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:13 am

Couple of pieces that I picked up from today's papers which gave me some cheer:

1. The return of Alex Blair to playing rugby, reported in the Hootsmon - always thought he was a huge talent, but very unlucky with injury:

Blair turns to Accies to help with his drive for recovery

By BILL LOTHIAN

ALex BLAIR, one of Scottish rugby’s great unfulfilled talents, is back in training after a lengthy injury absence and could be set to light up the Premiership in the coming season.

Shortly after making his one and only appearance for Edinburgh Rugby in an away league encounter at Leinster in October 2010 Blair, younger brother of Lions scrum half Mike and ex-Scotland A stand off, David, dropped out of the scene nursing a back injury.

Blair, 21, was released 13 months ago and then had a spell of rehab at Sale Sharks but now the youngest member of a Capital dynasty has announced via social media that things are looking up.

Edinburgh Accies returned to training on Tuesday night and Alex Blair declared: “Great to be back training at Edinburgh Accies. Tough fitness and skills but body feeling good. Loved it. Big next few months.” On the same site Blair continues to make his ambitions clear by insisting “Taking time out of pro rugby due to injury.”

It was back in early 2010 that Blair really came to prominence by playing in all five of Scotland’s internationals in the Under-20 Six Nations series.

2. Some Scottish youngsters have found places for themselves with English championship side, Rotherham Titans (also from the Hootsmon) - can only be good for these guys to be getting game time at this level, which given the lack of a third pro-side in Scotland they otherwise wouldn't get:

Rotherham chance for Learmonth

Scottish talent Max Learmonth has been handed an eight-week pre-season contract with English Championship side Rotherham Titans.

The 22-year-old has played for Heriot’s over the last two years after a similar length of time at Watsonians and will be looking to make the most of his time down south.

A longer-term contract could come his way if the centre/wing impresses in the lead up to the campaign and since arriving in Yorkshire last Sunday he has done well in sprint training.

He said: “It is a great opportunity for me to come down here for eight weeks and I have been giving it my all in training since I arrived.

“It is really good to be down here and working with players of this quality and it can only make me a better player. I am going to get my head down and try and get myself involved in the squad for the pre-season friendlies and take it from there.”

Learmonth’s chance comes just weeks after former Scotland Under-20 cap Mike Doneghan signed on with the Titans from Glasgow Warriors, while fellow Scots Neale Patrick and Garry Law are on the books at Clifton Lane, too.

3. Lastly, i note that former Glasgow player, Colin Shaw, has been given a 7s contract - good that he'll still be around if needed.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Club news for Scots players Empty Re: Club news for Scots players

Post by RDW Fri 06 Jul 2012, 1:21 pm

All positive news for the club game OK

Here's hoping Alex Blair can fulfill his potential.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 06 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

What are the attendances like in the Scottish league.
How do they do in the B&I cup eg their level compared to the second tier of the other three countries

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 06 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:All positive news for the club game OK

Here's hoping Alex Blair can fulfill his potential.
My hope is that if he can a full season in with Accies, then pro-clubs will take note and he'll be back on their radar - but the lad has just too much talent to chuck it all away imo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 06 Jul 2012, 1:42 pm

This is excellent news. Our two pro sides have done a fine job bringing through new talent in the last couple of years, but inevitably they won't get every decision right, and some players simply take longer to flourish (and in the meantime our pro sides can't be expected to simply wait when better performing players come through).

I was hugely disappointed when Alex Blair was ditched. Obviously his injury record made him a gamble, but from the limited footage I've seen, this guy can really play (and with the option of having Laidlaw at 9, it isn't essential that we develop 10's that kick goals). He has the potential to be a serious playmaker, and we don't grow many of those. Fingers crossed he has a storming season, and gets himself fully fit.

I saw the other day that Bristol took Kyle Traynor as well. Really positive that players who are just falling short by Edinburgh and Glasgow standards are still getting contracts elsewhere. A really positive development.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Jul 2012, 1:44 pm

The fact he was released 13 months ago and has only just got back to training suggests it was maybe the right move to release him - there's no way they could justify paying him if he was going to be injured for a calendar year.

If he gets fit and plays well though I'm all for him signing again.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:21 pm

Agreed - and Edinburgh would be the right place for him. Give Leonard some competition as Laidlaw's back-up.

Step at a time though, he's got to do the business at Accies. Might see if I can go and watch him at some point this season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down