The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Players that have played for your club?

+16
beshocked
Geordie
Luckless Pedestrian
bedfordwelsh
nganboy
formerly known as Sam
George Carlin
doctor_grey
Notch
21st Century Schizoid Man
TJ
Ozzy3213
Mickado
dummy_half
VietGwentRevisited
hbk48942
20 posters

Go down

Best Players that have played for your club? Empty Best Players that have played for your club?

Post by hbk48942 Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:56 am

did this on the football section so thought i would start it here , at the club you support , who have been the best players in your lifetime or of all time?

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

Best Players that have played for your club? Empty Re: Best Players that have played for your club?

Post by VietGwentRevisited Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:04 am

Obviously a 3 way tie:

Charlie Faulkner/Bobby Windsor/Graham Price Wink

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Best Players that have played for your club? Empty Re: Best Players that have played for your club?

Post by dummy_half Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:07 am

VietGwentRevisited wrote:Obviously a 3 way tie:

Charlie Faulkner/Bobby Windsor/Graham Price  Wink

Weren't they the world's first set of siamese triplets? Very Happy 

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:16 am

You would never have heard of him Smile

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:29 am

Mickado wrote:You would never have heard of him Smile
Thomas Crean? Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:38 am

Edinburgh

Todd Blackadder or Greig Laidlaw

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:55 am

Glasgow

DTH VDM & Thom Evans

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:59 am

Mickado wrote:You would never have heard of him Smile
Gary Brown
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:18 am

me

The second rung includes Tom Smith, Budge Poutney and Paul Grayson.........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:20 am

Glasgow:
Jason White
Glenn Metcalfe
Bernardo Stortoni
Thom Evans
Kelly Brown

Edinburgh:
Todd Blackadder
Nathan Hines
Chris Paterson
Dave Hewett
Mike Blair

Difficult though it will be to live with myself as a result, I have found it in me to not include Dan Parks for Glasgow and Brendan Laney/Phil Godman for Edinburgh. Better start those hail marys now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:54 am

doctor_grey wrote:me

The second rung includes Tom Smith, Budge Poutney and Paul Grayson.........
I should add Timmy Rodber to that list. In addition, he was probably the best player I played with.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:48 am

Martin Johnson, Neil Back, Austin Healey, Geordan Murphy and before my time but somewhat of a legend Dusty Hare.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:51 am

Cardiff - alphabetical order in my time as a supporter:

Backs - Gerald Davies, Gareth Edwards, Terry Holmes, Rob Howley, Barry John, Cliff Morgan, Maurice Richards

Forwards - Bob Norster, Keith Rowlands, Martyn Williams, Dai Young

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:26 am

Wellington in the last couple of decades
Neemia Tialata, Andrew Hore, Jerry Collins, Rodney Soialo, Piri Weepu, Alama Iremia, Maa Nonu, Tana Umaga, Conrad Smith, Cory Jane, Christian Cullen, Julian Savea, Jonah Lomu.

Since rugby is won by the forwards you can understand why we don't win much.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:30 pm

nganboy wrote:Wellington in the last couple of decades
Neemia Tialata, Andrew Hore, Jerry Collins, Rodney Soialo, Piri Weepu, Alama Iremia, Maa Nonu, Tana Umaga, Conrad Smith, Cory Jane, Christian Cullen, Julian Savea, Jonah Lomu.

Quite right. You should be thoroughly ashamed of that pile of old scrote.
(picard )
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Notch and Ozzy, both way off. Chris Keane, winger cum scrum half retired 4/5 years ago. Wasn't exactly Gary Brown in the pace stakes but his pass was like a Guy Easterby and he tackled like Owen Finnegan. Incredible player.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Ebbw Vale:

Arthur Lewis, Paul Ringer, Uncle Clive (Burgess that is), Denzil Williams, Iestyn Thomas, Siau (Josh) Taumalolo, Allan Bateman (even if it was only a season), Dan Lydiate, Kingsley jones, Tobys Dad,
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:03 pm

George Carlin wrote:Glasgow:
Jason White
Glenn Metcalfe
Bernardo Stortoni
Thom Evans
Kelly Brown

Edinburgh:
Todd Blackadder
Nathan Hines
Chris Paterson
Dave Hewett
Mike Blair

Difficult though it will be to live with myself as a result, I have found it in me to not include Dan Parks for Glasgow and Brendan Laney/Phil Godman for Edinburgh. Better start those hail marys now.
George, I wondered about putting KB in or even Johnny Beattie. Bernie Stortoni is a heart choice - never a great player but gave 100% to the cause.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Mickado wrote:Notch and Ozzy, both way off. Chris Keane, winger cum scrum half retired 4/5 years ago. Wasn't exactly Gary Brown in the pace stakes but his pass was like a Guy Easterby and he tackled like Owen Finnegan. Incredible player.
Ah, I remember him well, truly a great Mickado, truly a great! Very Happy 
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Chris Keane is my brother-in-law's cousin. Smile

For Newport, we had Ken Jones, Dai Watkins and Gary Teichmann. For the Dragons, we had Percy Montgomery and I'd add Aled Brew and Toby Faletau. Brew was such a talisman.

The player with the best name has to be Newport's Sven Cronk.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Matt Burke, Inga Tuigamala, Johnny Wilkinson, Gary Armstrong, Carl Hayman...with a couple of others very close...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:57 pm

On a serious note, for Leinster -

Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon Darcy, Keith Gleeson, Felipe Contepomi, Rocky Elsom, Isa Nacewa, Denis Hickie, Shane Horgan, Shane Jennings, Girvan Dempsey, Reggie Corrigan, Mal O'Kelly, Leo Cullen would be the ones off the top of my head and from the Pro-era.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:10 pm

George Carlin wrote:

(picard )
Nah you don't get it - what I'm saying is even with all that talent in the backs we've always been consistently mid table (in a table of 8) because we could only get 20% ball. Whenever we got 25% ball we had a good chance. Problem is that our best lock for 20 years has been Thrush or Inoke Afeaki so 20% was as good as it got most of the time. Heart breaking.
I just saw a youtube clip of the 2000 final - its the only time I have seen us win the competition its full of stars.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:37 pm

nganboy wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

(picard )
Nah you don't get it - what I'm saying is even with all that talent in the backs we've always been consistently mid table (in a table of 8) because we could only get 20% ball. Whenever we got 25% ball we had a good chance. Problem is that our best lock for 20 years has been Thrush or Inoke Afeaki so 20% was as good as it got most of the time. Heart breaking.
I just saw a youtube clip of the 2000 final - its the only time I have seen us win the competition its full of stars.
I am used to watching the Scottish national team get tonked. That's why I don't get it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Chris Keane is my brother-in-law's cousin. Smile

For Newport, we had Ken Jones, Dai Watkins and Gary Teichmann. For the Dragons, we had Percy Montgomery and I'd add Aled Brew and Toby Faletau. Brew was such a talisman.

The player with the best name has to be Newport's Sven Cronk.
Yeah, the obvious ones are Percy, Teichmann, etc. But a special mention for two players who played for both Newport and later the Dragons regional sides. Firstly Rod Snow - possibly my favourite player in the years I've been watching rugby at Rodney Parade. A really good scrummager first and foremost, but great in the loose too, often hanging out on the wing for the long pass from which he could barrel over. Not a 'great' in terms of status on the world stage, but a long and dedicated servant, the likes of which we haven't seen in the front row since. Nice bloke too. Sorely missed.

My second one isn't a great on the world stage either. In fact he only got one cap. But for me Jason Forster epitomised the 'Fortress Rodney Parade' mentality. In fact, it's since he left for coaching roles that the fortress bit seems to have slipped. He was such an athletic 7 that he could do the usual bits on the floor, hard as nails and never took a backwards step (worked as a bouncer too I think!), but would also score a lot of tries from 7. I think he came out as top try scorer at the end of a few seasons, such was his prolific scoring rate. Another player sorely missed IMO. We seem to have gone 'soft' since he left, although Kingsley and Lyn seem to be putting a bit of bite back in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:51 pm

I've bumped into Jason Forster a few times walking the dog. It's my fault for not looking where I'm going.

Tumbleweed

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Standout is Richard Hill for Saracens even though there have been some excellent players at the club.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Seilala Mapusua

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Scarlets (no including current players) - Steve Jones, Regan King, Scott Quinnell, John Davies (prop)

Llanelli RFC - Phil Bennett, Ray Gravell, Ieaun Evans, Scott Quinell, Dereck Quinell, Steve Jones
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:44 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Ebbw Vale:

Arthur Lewis, Paul Ringer, Uncle Clive (Burgess that is), Denzil Williams, Iestyn Thomas, Siau (Josh) Taumalolo, Allan Bateman (even if it was only a season), Dan Lydiate, Kingsley jones, Tobys Dad,
What, no Jason Strange or Byron Haywood.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Best ever back to play for Ulster - Mike Gibson by a country mile. As good a back as I have seen in any team at any time

Best ever forward - thats harder but I think Ferris in his prime was right up there.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down