The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lancaster golf club - anyone played it?

4 posters

Go down

lancaster golf club - anyone played it? Empty lancaster golf club - anyone played it?

Post by Onetoanother Thu 23 Jun 2011, 9:25 am

Got a pro am tomorrow there so wondering if anyone has played it and any thoughts?

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

lancaster golf club - anyone played it? Empty Re: lancaster golf club - anyone played it?

Post by drive4show Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:49 am

Not played it but think I've driven past it many times. I'm guessing it's the course you see from the M6? If so, looks like a pretty standard parkland course.

Hope I'm not spoiling your expectations but if I'm thinking of the right course, it doesn't look anything special.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

lancaster golf club - anyone played it? Empty Re: lancaster golf club - anyone played it?

Post by Onetoanother Thu 23 Jun 2011, 11:13 am

no its miles off the M6 according to route planner...unless you have scoped vision and pinseeker tech onboard Wink

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 23 Jun 2011, 11:16 am

Onetoanother wrote:no its miles off the M6 according to route planner...unless you have scoped vision and pinseeker tech onboard Wink

no, just a deteriating deteriorating getting worse pair of eyeballs Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdieStreak Thu 23 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm

Played there when I was a junior seven or eight years ago.
Not too sure what the standard is like now, but back then the greens were top drawer.
It's a very pretty course to walk around, especially the last few holes.
Very nice clubhouse and well-stocked Pro Shop as well.
There are a few blind tee shots, best holes in my opinion were 1, 9, 17 and 18.
Enjoy
thumbsup

BirdieStreak

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu 23 Jun 2011, 1:03 pm

thanks for the info Birdie. Ive checked the website and it looks excellent. Im told the greens are also excellent. I shall take my credit card for the pro shop.

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 23 Jun 2011, 1:32 pm

Onetoanother wrote:thanks for the info Birdie. Ive checked the website and it looks excellent. Im told the greens are also excellent. I shall take my credit card for the pro shop.

Sounds like you are in for an expensive day out mate! There is bound to be an auction, raffle, etc etc steam

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdieStreak Thu 23 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

The greens were just about the best I've ever putted on, along with Clitheroe GC.
Another great track should you get the chance to play it.

BirdieStreak

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu 23 Jun 2011, 1:57 pm

Played Clitheroe last year in a scratch tourny...greens were good and true. Bit slow at the time though but good none the less.

The best pro shop for bag fulls of tat and second hand goodness was at Clitheroe GC if i remember rightly. Was rammed like pro shops of old. Took me 30 mins to get from front to back of a shop no more than 30 foot long!

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdieStreak Thu 23 Jun 2011, 2:03 pm

Yep that's definitely the right one! I played a couple of opens there last year, usually try to play at least once a season.
Pro there is a nice guy and price matches with anyone without question – always adds a little something to a course if you know there's a treasure trove to look through before you tee off! Very Happy

BirdieStreak

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu 23 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

Pleasington Pro shop isnt bad either but nothing to the cave of golfing wonders at Clitheroe Wink

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by baboo800 Thu 23 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

Never even heard of it

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Thu 23 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

thanks for that

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Tue 05 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

Ok reporting back if anyone cares...

Birdiestreak was spot on. The greens were stunning - truly stunning indeed. Running at 13 i was told by a PGA official. Smooth as silk and terrifying down hill...infact uphill, sideways etc. BUT put a good stroke and they just rolled so true. I had a 15 foot birdie put that gained pace uphill on me - seemed like anyway Wink

Ive played on some top courses around the world and some amazing greens of all types of grass but never anything like these. Simply stunning.

The course overall is parkland - pretty interesting and some great holes throughout. Apparently Nicklaus named the 18th (par 3) in his top 100 holes - 150 yards ish downhill over water. Dunno if this is true but the PGA official was very happy to inform me twice about this. I think he had been on an early morning scotch heart warmer though.

if anyone is ever up that way - check it out. They have a castle type clubhouse (a real one apparently) which you can stay in and a bar that seems to never close. Like all good clubs should be!

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down