The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone played Turnhouse Golf Course in Edinburgh?

+2
barragan
JDandfries
6 posters

Go down

Anyone played Turnhouse Golf Course in Edinburgh? Empty Anyone played Turnhouse Golf Course in Edinburgh?

Post by JDandfries Wed 22 Jun 2011, 3:44 pm

Anyone played, what's it like?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Anyone played Turnhouse Golf Course in Edinburgh? Empty Re: Anyone played Turnhouse Golf Course in Edinburgh?

Post by barragan Wed 22 Jun 2011, 7:25 pm

its ok. whats the occasion?
i played it a couple of years ago whilst trying to choose a club to join. quite an imaginative layout, weaving up down across and around turnhouse hill. holes 4-9 are probably the best stretch, but too many poor holes for me too get excited. hole 3 sticks in the mind as being a bit of a lottery (the line is well right of the white marker post with a driver, toward the airport control tower perhaps? four of us hit what seemed identical drives but ended up spaced up to 100 yards apart). the fairways and greens were in great condition, and it is worth a go, but i personally have no intention of rushing back any time soon. bit of a shame really as its the closest course to me.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Anyone played Turnhouse Golf Course in Edinburgh? Empty Re: Anyone played Turnhouse Golf Course in Edinburgh?

Post by George1507 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 7:59 pm

It's good. I played it in April. It was in good condition then. It's a nice course without being spectacularly hard. There are a few hard par 4s, although the par 5s aren't that hard. The 17th is a really hard hole though. 250 yards, par 3 and uphill, and into the prevailing wind. Good rounds often end there.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Thu 23 Jun 2011, 12:51 am

The 17th, whilst a tough, long (blind) par 3, usually plays downwind with the prevailing westerly wind so doesn't play as long as the yardage; although when there's an easterly wind it's a brute!

Decent course although 2 or 3 blind holes where the luck of the bounce plays a big part let it down; thinking of 3, 10, 12 and the aforementioned 17th.

There's a week-long open there starting a week on saturday which always attracts a strong field and you can win a decent bit of cash if you get a good run; think I won 120 quid last year after reaching the semis in the scratch.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 23 Jun 2011, 10:00 am

A pal of mine has enticed myslef and a few others to play their open (the one Ralph mentions) next weekend, so was wondering what it is like since it only cost £15 for at least two rounds (more if you qualify)

Ralph what sort of scores qualify for the knockouts, which as I understand it it two seperate things, scratch and handicap

Cheers

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Anyone played Turnhouse Golf Course in Edinburgh? Empty The Turnhouse 7-Day Open

Post by ayoung Thu 23 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

We still have a few space for the open that has been mentioned, if you can play to your handicap there is a great chance to win a prize, and with £3000 in the prize fund its worth £15 for at least 2 rounds, one Saturday and one Sunday then match play throughout the week if you qualify.
Entry forms on the web site: www.turnhousegolfclub.com

Cheers
Alan

ayoung

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 23 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

Blimey, we're getting golf clubs signing up to 606.

Let's go global! Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:32 am

Last year about 149 or 150 qualified for the scratch (top 16), this was higher than usual though as the weather was poor; extremely windy, especially on the sunday with a fair bit of rain as well. Usually I think about 144/145 would get you in.

There's also 2 handicap sections with the top 16 net scores (after the top 16 scratch has been decided) going into 1 section then the next 16 into the 2nd section; so 48 out of a field of about 200 qualify for 1 of the matchplays. Last year if you scored about 146 net you'd qualify for 1 of the matchplays although again that was high due to the weather.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down