The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone played in a night golf event?

+3
super_realist
MustPuttBetter
George1507
7 posters

Go down

Anyone played in a night golf event? Empty Anyone played in a night golf event?

Post by George1507 Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:32 pm

Apparently there are companies that supply fluorescent balls and lighting for the fairways and greens, so clubs can run night events.

Has anyone ever played in one, or organised one?

George1507

Back to top Go down

Anyone played in a night golf event? Empty Re: Anyone played in a night golf event?

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:42 pm

Played in two George at two different courses. It's a great laugh. You get given what is essentially a range ball with a hole running through the middle. In that hole goes a little glow stick which makes the ball glow. You then have bigger glow sticks which are placed on the pin and in the cup. Sensible places will put the flourescent sticks every now and then down the fairway (and around lakes etc) too but one of the ones i played didn't and was the worse for it
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Anyone played in a night golf event? Empty Re: Anyone played in a night golf event?

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:44 pm

Would imagine the "elf and safety" bods might get in the way.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:53 pm

Played in one. Great fun, very cold. If you fancy a bit of a rave on the way round, loads of glowsticks.

We weren't allowed woods/hybrids so 3 irons off tees in the dark. Shouldn't really make a difference as the ball should get in the way of your normal swing as it should in the light (don't trust your eyes Luke, use the force). Needless to say it did make a difference!

Can't remember but I think ours was won with a 2 or 3 under handicap score somehow (9 or 12 holes I think).

Haven't gone back as it was simply too cold but we hold one every couple of years or so. Very weather dependent for turnout as you'd imagine, not many want to go round in freezing rain and big wind in Autumn/Spring. Is likely to be very H&S orientated these days as Super suggests.

Well worth a go if you haven't done it but unsurprisingly very slow.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 17 Oct 2013, 1:56 pm

Sounds good fun, would love to play a proper floodlit course though.

Always try and do an evening of floodlit snowboarding on holiday and it's a completely different experience to natural light.

With the cold in the UK though as Roller says, you'd probably have to travel to Dubai or Singapore for an enjoyable floodlit game.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 17 Oct 2013, 6:20 pm

Mustputtbetter - can you see the ball flying through the air, or is it a case of hitting it, hoping it's straight and looking for something aglow on the fairway?

Sounds like a good idea to limit the clubs people can play with. I can imagine a very slow round with people looking for errant driver shots on every hole.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 17 Oct 2013, 11:14 pm

I once played on a floodlit course (I think this one http://www.alhamragolf.com/home.aspx but not sure), anyway the course was terrible and playing at night didn't help.

Following glow sticks on a decent course sounds a lot better.

I have gone to the braids late in a summer evening to catch the sunset, and stayed to hit a few balls in the dark. Always cool hitting against the back drop of the city lights.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 18 Oct 2013, 9:24 am

There is a night golf event being organised at mine in a few weeks time, I'll let you know how it goes and what I thought of it.

With regards floodlit golf, I've played a floodlit 9 holes on holiday in Florida a few years ago. Orange Lake Country Club has 54 holes of golf onsite 2 18s & 2 9s with one of the 9s floodlit. Gets a wee bit hairy by 4th green/5th tee area as there is a large pond with a couple of resident alligators!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 18 Oct 2013, 12:21 pm

I've never played night golf though the last one I read about seemed to have quite a hefty deposit on the glow-balls .. worth remembering around water holes

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 18 Oct 2013, 12:47 pm

George, actually you'd be surprised. Searching time is minimal as the balls glow nicely (you can see the flight) and bearing in mind everything else is pitch black, they're easy to find.

They are only usually 75% distance type balls owing to the hollow centre so even a driver doesn't go all that far

I can put you in touch with the guy at our place who organised it if you wish
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down