The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool FC Thread

+45
Stella
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
monty junior
Ent
kemet
Corporalhumblebucket
TRUSSMAN66
Josiah Maiestas
dublin_dave
Lumbering_Jack
JamesLincs
kwinigolfer
NedB-H
The Special Juan
Duty281
Gregers
Beer
Kay Fabe
drsambo1928
TopHat24/7
Gordy
mckay1402
compelling and rich
lfc91
Mat
theundisputedY2D2
Lee
hampo17
Liam
nasisillmatic
MetalMotty
mystiroakey
ncfc_Tooze
Small Time
liverbnz
mobilemaster8
LivinginItaly
Kenny
Soldier_Of_Fortune
marty2086
lorus59
GG
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
Crimey
49 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Liverpool FC Thread - Page 9 Empty Liverpool FC Thread

Post by Crimey Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:10 am

First topic message reminder :

Liverpool FC

Liverpool FC Thread - Page 9 Liverpool

Transfers in:

Fabio Borini (£11 million)
Joe Allen (£15 million)
Joe Cole (return from loan)
Oussama Assaidi (£2.4 million)
Nuri Sahin (on loan)
Samed Yesil (£1 million)

Transfers out:

Dirk Kuyt (£1 million)
Maxi Rodriguez (Free)
Fabio Aurelio (Free)
Alberto Aquilani (£7 million)
Craig Bellamy (Free)
Andy Carroll (loan)
Jay Spearing (loan)
Charlie Adam (£4 million)

Last edited by Crimey on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:59 am; edited 6 times in total

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Liverpool FC Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Liverpool FC Thread

Post by Small Time Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Crimey wrote:The problem with Steven Gerrard is the problem I think Wayne Rooney is starting to develop as well. So often he seems to play quite poorly and can't quite get into the game, but that explosion of energy and talent to create something out of nothing means it's quite hard not to put him in the team.

I know what you mean. Do you think it's down to them "trying to hard" to make something happen all of the time rather than play the patient game?

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Martin Skrtel has committed his future to Liverpool by signing a new long-term contract - and immediately declared his ambition to become an Anfield legend.

He then told Liverpoolfc.com that signing a new deal at Anfield was his first priority this summer.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Small Time wrote:
Crimey wrote:The problem with Steven Gerrard is the problem I think Wayne Rooney is starting to develop as well. So often he seems to play quite poorly and can't quite get into the game, but that explosion of energy and talent to create something out of nothing means it's quite hard not to put him in the team.

I know what you mean. Do you think it's down to them "trying to hard" to make something happen all of the time rather than play the patient game?

I think it's a combination of a few things. One of them is that they always try to make things happen rather than playing it simple. This is born out of expectation though, not just from the fans but from the other players. So often for Liverpool last year when Gerrard played, the players would pass it to him in the hope he'd do something spectacular, no sometimes he did such as against Everton, but other times there were better options.

I think the only player who didn't seem to do this was Suarez who was confident in his own ability, it's why I think Suarez and Gerrard work together so well, neither is relying on the other, they can use each other and seem quite in tune.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:15 am

Not going to be able to watch the match tonight, but think a win should really be expected, especially after the awful game at the weekend. Gerrard, Suarez, Skrtel and Johnson have all been rested. No Joe Cole or Enrique either.

Would like to see this line up:

Reina

Kelly
Coates
Carragher
Agger

Shelvey
Allen
Henderson

Downing
Carroll
Sterling

I wouldn't start Lucas who will be crucial if we want a good result against City at the weekend. Borini also rested.

It gives us a bit of impact off the bench if things do go pear shaped though with Lucas, Adam, Borini all ready to come on.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:35 am

The game is tomorrow Crimey! Should be a routine win but will he play Carroll? Benching him and not putting him on could tell us all we need to know...

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:47 am

Got to love the BBC website. They have a link Hearts v Liverpool and they don't mention Hearts at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19279553

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:15 am

Not sure i agree in leaving all 4 of them out , but i do hope Carroll plays up front with Borini to see if they can work together
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:00 am

I can't watch it tomorrow is what I meant, I could watch it if it was tonight!

The squad is:

Reina, Jones, Kelly, Agger, Carragher, Coates, Flanagan, Shelvey, Lucas, Adam, Allen, Henderson, Spearing, Downing, Borini, Carroll, Wilson, Robinson, Sterling, Eccleston

so I'd be surprised if Carroll doesn't play at all.

I suppose it wouldn't be completely out of the world to see him left out.

I think Agger should definitely play, but thinking about it, one of Carragher/Coates, whoever Rodgers plans to start against City should start on the bench for this game. Have Wilson and the one who won't start against City as the centre back pairing.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Not sure what to make of Rodgers latest comments regarding Carroll , after he labelled Newcastles bid ' a liberty ' . He said he would be foolish to let Andy go at this late in the window . So does that mean he's staying at least until january or is it a way of upping the bid ?

Rodgers did say he needs at least 3 experienced strikers .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:46 am

"Rodgers did say he needs at least 3 experienced strikers "

I'd pick one good one over three experienced ones every day ofthe week. Heskey is experienced, as is Darren Bent but I wouldn't hang the bunting out of he signed either of them.

Dempsey might chip in a few goals but we need a guaranteed 20+ goals a season striker and there doesn't appear to be too many of them available at the minute. However, I'm hoping Carroll grabs a hatful tonight although I have a feeling Rodgers may trot out the "Hearts weren't the best of opposition" excuse.

Does anyone know if Carroll got drunk one night and verbally abused Brendan's wife at a function. The dislike he seems to have for the lad seems out of proportion with the amount of time they have spent together since Rodgers took over.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:10 am

Fulham have reported Liverpool to the FA/Premier league over Clint Dempsey claiming comments made by Rodgers when he confirmed we had enquired about him have unsettled the player resulting in him not wanting to be considered for selection .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:05 am

Carroll not starting. He's gone.

He's conveniently picked up a knock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:43 am

Patchy first half but after a pretty even first 20 minutes we started to get a grip of the game. No outstanding performances thus far but Raheem Stirling has looked quite handy. Oh and Borini hit a post but that's all he's done to be honest.

Would like to see us come out firing in the second half and get an early goal and go on to win comfortably. A bit more urgency is needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:32 am

I still feel Rodgers will not see the end of the season in the dugout, I as a Watford fan can say that anyone who has managed at Watford has not had any success in bigger clubs. This may come as an eye opener to some of you reds but hey, someone's got to tell you the tooth fairy dosent exist.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:39 am

Thanks for sarcastic warning sambo but alot of reds probably share your view anyway, even the ones that believe in the tooth fairy.

I'm not that hung up on Rodgers but lets see what happens first. Hopefully we'll both be wrong.

Ever heard of Graham Taylor? He didn't do too shabby a job at Villa did he?

Thanks for being the "someone" to tell us though. Now go and join the other 100 thousand that are singing that very tune!

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:43 am

Surprised some fans think Rodgers should have turned us round by now. Change of manager has brought in and entirely different mind set and tactics. The guy deserves time but some fans just want to see people fail.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:54 am

Not sure if Rodgers is the man to implement that mind set though.

Martinez was the man who set up Swansea's style, not Rodgers
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:59 am

Maybe so but it was Rodgers mind set that got Swansea a better premier league position than Wigan last season.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:00 am

Just a joke you guys stay cool. And yes Graham Taylor is the exception despite his days as England coach but we wont get into that. But I still feel Rodgers will be sacked in the summer or even this season but you never know, it could be a premiership title for the reds Wink bottom line, no one knows the future so enjoy the present and dont wollow over the past.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:08 am

Well first time teams tend to have better fortunes their first seasons when they're still on a high etc. We'll never know how Rodgers would've done with Swansea this year.

martinez keeping Wigan in the PL is a massive achievement just to do it once.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:16 am

There is something fishy around Martinez, because he came out and said he chose to stay at Wigan rather than move on. To me that seems as if he is happy in his comfort zone, and isnt willing to leave it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:22 am

Wait, is this the United thread? When I said a premiership title for the reds I meant United king

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:25 am

Maybe Martinez feels if he keeps them up he can get a job at a club on the up. Wouldn't really blame him if he felt Liverpool were somewhat of a sinking ship.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:27 am

Sorry but to me it shows a complete lacks of balls from Martinez, that he isn't afraid to step up and take on a bigger harder job. As much as I wish Lambert had stayed, and Swansea fans wished Rodgers had stayed, I do admire them for taking the opportunity when it did arise, and put there careers on the line
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:29 am

Martinez is building a nice little team at Wigan although I do expect them to be around the bottom again, more to do with their squad depth as I feel their starting 11 is actually decent.

I think with Rodgers at Liverpool, realistically if he wants them to play the way he did at Swansea, he'd have to buy perhaps another couple of winger and a couple of cm's. I think tonight was a good example, as I don't feel Henderson/Shelvery (Although he's young) and Spearing are not technically good enough to play his style of football.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:30 am

However you can also back yourself and not take the first job that comes your way, even if you don't like it.

Taking a job you don't really want rarely works out.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:31 am

GSC wrote:However you can also back yourself and not take the first job that comes your way, even if you don't like it.

Taking a job you don't really want rarely works out.

Sometimes you only get one opportunity. If I was a manager/footballer and I got the chance to prove myself at a higher level I would take it straight away because you never know if it would come around again. Who is to say Martinez will get another chance to manage a bigger club than Wigan?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:35 am

i'm pretty sure martinez will upgrade at some point from Wigan, he's shown enough credentials to justify someone offering him a position.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:35 am

Sometimes you do only get 1 shot. Pretty negative viewpoint of yourself though if you can't back yourself to get another.

Keep Wigan up and maybe a Fulham or Everton come calling. Taking a job you don't really want will do you more harm than good.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:36 am

I don't see why he wouldn't want to take either the Villa job 2 years ago, or the Liverpool job this past year. He has taken Wigan as far as he can imo
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:38 am

Both clubs can definitely be described as on the slide at those times.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:40 am

But surely he is only going to get a job at a bigger team when they are on the slide? Not often a manager from a bigger team moves onto another, they are usually sacked after a poor performance
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:43 am

I know you guys want to converse among yourselves as liverpool fans but the Liverpool job is like the England job or the New Zealand job in rugby or the (I don't think you guys are GAA fans or Irish but anyway) Dublin job. It's a job where the good coaches just arent good enough, no one is good enough, they can never find someone to stay there for ages. In saying this you guys have to realise that because Liverpool falls into this category, you will forever be bouncing around with coaches until maybe one day you might get a guy wh can win you the premiership but eventually he just wont be good enough for Liverpool. Its a vicious game, and even more so for the fans.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:53 am

Liverpool and Villa were on the slide for more reasons than just managers.

Villa were drastically reducing the wage bill and selling off their best players.

Liverpool blew most their cash assembling an average squad
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:07 am

I agree GSC, unfortunately success under O'neil was costly although its a shame he left as he was doing a fantastic job there.

Kenny Dagleish had a great chance to buy decent players, but for me highlighted why he just wasn't up to it in the transfer market. You look at Laudrop and see he spent jst 2m on a guy who was the top scoring midfielder in la liga last season.

Dagleish, spent almost 20m on Henderson, a guy who looked ok for Sunderland but imo never looked like he had the quality to become a top class cm, and nothing's changed my mind since. Carroll had a decent start for newcastle and yet they blew 35m on him. I mean, think of the strikers they could have got for that money, the list is endless, all imo who either would have been cheaper than 35m or would have been at least worth it. He persued Adam who was average at best, but stood out in a very weak side.

I think Rodger's unfortunately needs to probably bring in another 4/5 players, and imo should go to la liga for the technically better players who will fit perfectly into the way he wants to play football. The clubs there are so fincially cash strapped that they have no choice but to sell their best players. Its a great opportunity, one being utilised by Laudrop and one that could be used at Liverpool.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:01 am

sahin on his way, yet another midfielder but will suit rodgers style

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:09 am

compelling and rich wrote:sahin on his way, yet another midfielder but will suit rodgers style

Yes just saw that on Skysports , i would expect a few midfielders to move out now then especially if Dempsey does arrive aswell
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:00 am

I'd like to see Clint Dempsey at Liverpool, think he's just the kind of player Liverpool need, no frills about him at all, he just gets on with the job quietly but effectively, he'd be a triffic signing

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:48 pm

I love the sub-headline in the Mirror today which goes "Rodgers' Reds take another battering but steal a vital victory"

Is it even possible to take a battering without conceding?

Not that we were battered anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:47 am

For a lot of people we are going to get stick no matter what we do this season , if we lose on sunday it will be a the end of the world and if we win then Man City will of been poor
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:57 am

I think the problem is how negative this summer has been, Rodgers hasn't brought in the same air of optimism that Kenny did.

I do find myself supporting Carroll over Rodgers, Andy Carroll clearly wants to stay at the club and is detirmined to prove himself, Rodgers turned down the advances of the club two times which suggests his heart might not be in it. Carroll is an excellent player and I think Rodgers is jumping the gun completely.

At the start of the season I'd have said the main problems with the team were...

A lack of wingers (not solved)
A lack of source of goals (half solved maybe. If Carroll is sold, situation made worse, Borini needs to chip in with a few for this to be considered a success)

As much as I'd like to feel positive, the problems last year were that the team played lovely passing football but just didn't hit the net or failed to turn it into results, I don't think Rodgers is pragmatic enough to change that.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:02 am

What are you guys predicting tomorrow?

I think we'll get a result of some sort. Liverpool being Liverpool tend to turn it on against the better teams.

1-1 for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:05 am

I think we'll be the better side but just miss out, probably a late goal. 2-1.

I hope/think we'll line up like this:

-----------Suarez----------

Borini-----------------Downing

------Gerrard----Allen---------

--------------Lucas---------------

Enrique---Skrtel---Coates----Johnson

---------------Reina----------------------

Would rather Rodgers has faith in Coates than sticks with Carragher who hasn't played a good game for probably a year now.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:06 am

Crimey wrote:I think the problem is how negative this summer has been, Rodgers hasn't brought in the same air of optimism that Kenny did.

I do find myself supporting Carroll over Rodgers, Andy Carroll clearly wants to stay at the club and is detirmined to prove himself, Rodgers turned down the advances of the club two times which suggests his heart might not be in it. Carroll is an excellent player and I think Rodgers is jumping the gun completely.

At the start of the season I'd have said the main problems with the team were...

A lack of wingers (not solved)
A lack of source of goals (half solved maybe. If Carroll is sold, situation made worse, Borini needs to chip in with a few for this to be considered a success)

As much as I'd like to feel positive, the problems last year were that the team played lovely passing football but just didn't hit the net or failed to turn it into results, I don't think Rodgers is pragmatic enough to change that.

Lets not go crazy here.

In any case Rodgers is perfectly entitled to mould the squad how he likes.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:07 am

#howdoesitfeeltobebehindNorwich Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:10 am

Olly wrote:#howdoesitfeeltobebehindNorwich Whistle

We'll always be above you in a geographical sense Olly. Never forget that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:23 pm

Rumours growing that Carroll will be sold and Sturridge brought in, I'd be really disappointed in that deal. I don't rate Sturridge at all, and for all the talent he brings he is the most greedy, selfish and blinkered player I have ever watched.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Totally agree with you there Crimey. For me Sturridge is not what you guys need, and I really dont understand why you are selling Carroll.

Also Dempsey seems to be a target for Sunderland as well
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:32 pm

I've updated the main page.

I'm not that bothered if we miss out on Dempsey, as good as I think he is. I'm not sure where he'd fit into the system now. I'd rather Rodgers focuses on signing at least one more winger.

He clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence in Downing and we cannot rely on Sterling...the less said about Joe Cole the better.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 am

Crimey wrote:I've updated the main page.

I'm not that bothered if we miss out on Dempsey, as good as I think he is. I'm not sure where he'd fit into the system now. I'd rather Rodgers focuses on signing at least one more winger.

He clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence in Downing and we cannot rely on Sterling...the less said about Joe Cole the better.

Where is the Assaidi transfer then Erm

I can see us getting Sturridge on deadline day.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next