The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey v Lancs at Liverpool: CC Match Thread

+3
LondonTiger
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
7 posters

Go down

Surrey v Lancs at Liverpool: CC Match Thread Empty Surrey v Lancs at Liverpool: CC Match Thread

Post by guildfordbat Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:31 am

Regular Surrey poster and setter upper of match threads JimBobGooner appears to be away so it falls to me to set up the thread for our final match of the season.

Surrey have named a thirteen man squad as they look to give some experience to certain of their younger squad players. Tom Jewell, Matt Dunn and George Edwards are all called up along with Steve Davies who takes over behind the stumps from Gary Wilson who is once more on Ireland duty.

Kevin Pietersen and Murali Kartik are both rested; as Shelsey (nailed on for 606 v2 young cricket poster of the year and a very strong contender for the senior age range as well Wink ) pointed out yesterday, this is understandable with the threat of relegation now gone for another year and uncertainties remaining over their Surrey futures.

Also missing from the squad is Chris Jordan who it seems has played his last game for Surrey. That won't upset too many here!

Lancs have also named a thirteen man squad. Teenage keeper Alex Davies - recently on duty for England under 19s - is set to make his CC debut.

Hope to get a range of comments over the next four days. Lancs supporters and neutrals are very welcome to join the Surrey boys as we post farewell to another season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Surrey v Lancs at Liverpool: CC Match Thread Empty Re: Surrey v Lancs at Liverpool: CC Match Thread

Post by guildfordbat Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

Play abandoned for the day without a ball bowled. Glad I set up the thread! mad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Surrey v Lancs at Liverpool: CC Match Thread Empty Re: Surrey v Lancs at Liverpool: CC Match Thread

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:27 pm

Looking on the bright side, just as well we weren't depending on this match to get full points!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:06 am

And the season is almost over, which for Surrey will be a relief.

Who else is leaving apart from Spriegel and Jordan?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 12 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm

Still no play at Liverpool - I thought it was Manchester where it always rains! Very Happy

Going back to LondonTiger's question, second eleven batsman Tom Lancefield has been released.

Definite doubts also over the futures of Kartik, Pietersen, Jewell and Hamilton-Brown for a variety of reasons.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:19 am

Am I right in thinking that we've signed Solanki from Worc for next season? Just wondering what lies behind that? Also is... never knowlingly underbowled with us next season?

I guess with KP's track record with club and country.. the chances of him being with us for a 3rd season can't be more than 50/50 Very Happy

Maybe the squad did need strengthening at the start of this year for the transition from Div 2 to Div 1... but I'd have thought that at some point soon, we're going to have to put more trust in some of our home grown talent... there was plenty of promise this season, but no consistency.. maybe because the sun is shining this morning...and I'm feeling optimimistic Very Happy but I'd hope that the likes of Burns, Ansari, Roy etc will continue to develop next season... What do others think?

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 13 Sep 2012, 4:58 pm

chichestersurryfan wrote:Am I right in thinking that we've signed Solanki from Worc for next season? Just wondering what lies behind that? Also is... never knowlingly underbowled with us next season?

I guess with KP's track record with club and country.. the chances of him being with us for a 3rd season can't be more than 50/50 Very Happy

Maybe the squad did need strengthening at the start of this year for the transition from Div 2 to Div 1... but I'd have thought that at some point soon, we're going to have to put more trust in some of our home grown talent... there was plenty of promise this season, but no consistency.. maybe because the sun is shining this morning...and I'm feeling optimimistic Very Happy but I'd hope that the likes of Burns, Ansari, Roy etc will continue to develop next season... What do others think?

Another good post, Chichester. It seeams you're becoming the Rory Burns of the Surrey threads! Very Happy

Yes, we've signed Solanki - on a two year contract. I think it's a mixture of (a) a partial Ramps replacement; (b) in the wake of the Maynard tragedy and certain disciplinary issues during the season, an attempt to bring in some maturity (Solanki is the Chairman or similar of the Professional Cricketers Association which should count for something); and (c) a captaincy contender.

I'm sure we would have preferred to sign him on a one year contract but understand that he held out for a two year deal which we agreed to with other counties sniffing around. I'm not convinced of the wisdom of that. The dividing line between buying an experienced professional and a player in decline is thin - I'm doubtful that Solanki will be the right sign of that line for two years.

Yes again, Lewis is with us for another season. We gave him a two year deal last season. A poor and unnecessary signing in my view. Lewis is an effective bowler in bowler friendly conditions but so he bl**dy well should be. He's denied deserved opportunities for the Viscount and done nothing for the development of the likes of George Edwards and 'Clive' Dunn. Lewis has also bowled more than fifty no balls this season and thus gifted opponents more than a hunderd runs (each no ball costs two runs). That would be poor anyway but in a generally low scoring season it is utterly dreadful.

Pietersen? The answer - as per the tv programme, QI - is ''Nobody Knows!''.

There is certainly home grown talent already there which should develop further. It is disappointing though that it didn't blossom more this season. I don't wish to be too judgmental as the wholly exceptional circumstances of Tom Maynard's death must have played a significant part. However, we will need to move on next season. I also suspect Ramps' sudden retirement did no favours for some of the young batsmen - Jason Roy has been quoted as saying that he enjoyed batting with Ramps and learned from him. The absence of a clear batting coach (is it Adams? Brown? Stewart?) can't help either.

Bowling wise, there is certainly talent with the likes of Edwards, Dunn and young spinner Freddie van den Bergh (aka The Burger Van @copyright The Corporal Publications 2012). However, it's still difficult to see them getting too many opportunities next season. I'm sure it would be good for all if loan spells of a couple of months could be arranged for one or two - the likes of Gloucs and Leics should jump at the chance.

One name to look out for next season - Dom Sibley, currently a 16 year old batsman who has already played a bit of second eleven stuff and by all accounts is highly regarded at the Club. Don't worry about remembering - I'll remind you of this post if he does anything! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 13 Sep 2012, 5:36 pm

hello i'm back for the final day Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 13 Sep 2012, 5:38 pm

can i thank guildford for setting up this match thread
if you ask me i would say edwards and meaker to miss out picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 13 Sep 2012, 5:40 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:can i thank guildford for setting up this match thread
if you ask me i would say edwards and meaker to miss out picard

Not a problem and ...

... Laugh

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 13 Sep 2012, 5:46 pm

100 for the brain clap clap clap
i have to say he has been good in the last 2 games Erm

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 13 Sep 2012, 5:49 pm

also well played tom jewell who's fifty will have done no harm clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 13 Sep 2012, 6:06 pm

Surrey end the penultimate day on 324 - 5.

What happens next?

I wonder if we might declare overnight or early tomorrow morning, Lancs forfeit their first innings and we forfeit our second to set up a one innings last day chase. A thought anyway.

I wasn't able to listen to any of today's play but clearly good knocks from Burns (again), the Brain (let's hope he can keep his good form from this match and the last going into next season) and Jewell.

A massively important innings for Jewell - probably not an exaggeration to say he's playing for his career. Doubts as to whether Surrey will offer him a new deal for next season and, given the very limited first team cricket he's played, unlikely that another county would take a chance on him. Pleased to see him do well and pure coincidence that he also regularly turns out for Guildford CC. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:27 pm

Conceivably Jewell could be viewed as a possible replacement bits and pieces cricketer, or being more generous, an all rounder? Eg instead of Spriegel in CB40 and/or Jordan in the kind of matches where Jordan played in the cc (or where he was in the cc squads but latterly not selected due to indifferent form).

Not sure whether he is up to an ongoing role in the first team. But certainly took his opportunity today to build an innings.... clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:50 am

morning all for the last day of the season Crying or Very sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:51 am

churchy reporting he is struggling with the wind Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:52 am

4th batting point reached Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:58 am

the brain goes for 125 clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:01 am

Surely this match will be a double forfeiture? Useless playing out the last day of the season for bonus points

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:03 am

nora gone for a duck Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:28 am

Shelsey93 wrote:Surely this match will be a double forfeiture? Useless playing out the last day of the season for bonus points

Pretty much agree. The only reason I can think of for Surrey batting on is that they might think it's in Jewell's and the club's longer term interests for him to have a crack at scoring a maiden first class century.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:32 am

off for rain now

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:04 pm

jewell out for 70
still batting for some unknown reason

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm

No forfeitures and Lancs batting.... nice exciting end to the season at Liverpool (not)

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 14 Sep 2012, 1:48 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:No forfeitures and Lancs batting.... nice exciting end to the season at Liverpool (not)

Very odd and even more disappointing - especially for the paying spectators - that the captains couldn't reach an agreement on a run chase.

I listened briefly to Churchy (Radio London cricket commentator and all round good guy) at the start of play today. He said something then along the lines of, ''I'm not sure this game is going anywhere''. From such a normally mild mannered and enthusiastic individual, that struck me as surprising. I suspect he had already heard that Batty and Croft (Lancs captain for this match in place of the rested Chapple) weren't able to sort anything out.

A sad end to the season but possibly fitting ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri 14 Sep 2012, 2:38 pm

Good to see that normal service was resumed with our last 5 wickets going for 12 runs! Good (surprising more like) to see de Bruyn in the runs!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2012, 3:43 pm

clive gets a wkt Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2012, 3:48 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:Good to see that normal service was resumed with our last 5 wickets going for 12 runs! Good (surprising more like) to see de Bruyn in the runs!
the brain will finish as the leading runscorer in 4 day cricket with 709 runs Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:34 pm

wkt for jewell Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:36 pm

and that's your lot for another season Cry
hand shakes all round clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:22 pm

Useful performance by Jewell....

I expect a few Surrey players will be pleased that the season has ended.... Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:09 pm

Dom Sibley! - Right I'll remember that name....we heard it here first Very Happy

Sad to think that the domestic season is now over! but no doubt, plenty more time for ins and outs at Surrey in the coming months!

Here's a final clap to Batty for having done such a brilliant job laterly and for in large part helping us stay up... here's to a quieter, less dramatic season next time around, both on and off the field... a solid, mid table finish with some of the youngsters coming on in leaps and bounds... and just to please GB... a few less no bowls from "never knowingly" Smile and maybe an appearance from Dom Sibley... Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

sorry, should always check posts before sending... just reread... I'm sure that GB would not appreciate a few less no bowls... (double negatives and all that! Very Happy .. I did mean no balls!! Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down