The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread

+5
Corporalhumblebucket
jbd349
guildfordbat
jimbohammers
jimbobgooner
9 posters

Go down

surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread Empty surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 17 Jul 2012, 1:57 pm

Team Director Chris Adams has named a thirteen man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Nottinghamshire starting on Wednesday at Trent Bridge.
Matthew Spriegel is included in a Championship squad for the first time since august 2010
kp has been left out for scoring too many runs
The Surrey squad for the LV=County Championship match against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge on Wednesday 18th July, Thursday 19th July, Friday 20th July and Saturday 21st July :
Gareth Batty (capt)
Rory Burns
Matthew Spriegel
Zander de Bruyn
Steven Davies
Jason Roy
Zafar Ansari
Murali Kartik
Chris Jordan
Jon Lewis
Stuart Meaker
Chris Tremlett
Tim Linley
sadly i cant see the viscount getting a game so i think its out of burns and jordan for the last spot

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread Empty Re: surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread

Post by jimbohammers Tue 17 Jul 2012, 3:33 pm

We'll knock their confidence tonight for you Jimbob Whistle

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread Empty Re: surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread

Post by guildfordbat Tue 17 Jul 2012, 4:01 pm

jimbohammers wrote:We'll knock their confidence tonight for you Jimbob surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread 590675

I hope you do, Jimbo. Have to say that Notts looked a very good side when I saw them on Sunday and were really on the money.

JimBob - thanks for the thread. Particularly liked your explanation as to why Pietersen has been left out. surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread 810156456

The most likely two to miss out are again Jordan and Linley although I don't think that's certain.

A bit of a long shot but Kartik could just find himself left on the bench. Notts tend to produce a wicket for seamers and so I wonder if we'll need him as well as skipper Batty. We also have Ansari and the deservedly recalled Sprigel to bowl some slow stuff if needed. If Kartik misses out, I would expect Jordan to take his place although mainly as a batsman. Without the double centurion of Guildford, the batting does look potentially very flaky. On the basis that we need all the batsmen we can find, I reckon Burns will play.

I would be inclined to play Linley in place of Tremlett who was disappointing at Guildford. However, I suspect that Adams will stick with Tremlett. That's assuming he doesn't get injured getting off the bus. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Tue 17 Jul 2012, 4:04 pm

I'm assuming Wilson is still with Ireland? As surely he'd be playing otherwise

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 17 Jul 2012, 4:36 pm

jbd - yes, that's right.

Unfortunately for us, Wilson is with Ireland. Ireland are playing a home series of T20 games against Bangladesh this week.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 17 Jul 2012, 9:35 pm

guildfordbat wrote:. I would be inclined to play Linley in place of Tremlett who was disappointing at Guildford. However, I suspect that Adams will stick with Tremlett. That's assuming he doesn't get injured getting off the bus. Wink

From what I saw of Tremlett in the Lancs match I think there have to be questions about his fitness.

I confident that Burns will play. I think the logic is that Spriegel will too on account of his steady batting. The awkwardness in having Batty as captain it doesnt make a lot of sense to play Kartik as well.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 17 Jul 2012, 10:09 pm

Corporal,

re Tremlett: I think the positive view is that he's getting fitter through playing. However, as we and distinguished others saw, there's a long way to go. Can we afford the journey at the current time?

As regards the side itself, the balance just isn't right with Batty at seven. Before the losses of Maynard and Hyphen, I would have been inclined to leave Batty out. However, he's doing a fine and vital job as captain in horrendous circumstances which now cements his place in the side.

Unless a wicket looks a spinner's paradise, we should now look to replace Kartik with an extra batsman. The unfortunate thing with this squad is that the only possible extra batsman is Jordan.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 17 Jul 2012, 10:13 pm

Btw, good interview of Batty by Churchy on the club website. Each recognises the other as a professional and caring individual.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 17 Jul 2012, 10:18 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Btw, good interview of Batty by Churchy on the club website. Each recognises the other as a professional and caring individual.
Agreed. Good interview - difficult to know what more Batty could have said about the batting other than that there's an opportunity that someone (presumably thinking in particular of Ansari, Burns and Spriegel) might take.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 18 Jul 2012, 10:51 am

WOW!!!

Batty and Tremlett missing from the starting eleven.

Suspect Batty has stood down for tactical reasons - believed to be a seamers' wicket. If that's the case, tremendous selfless act. surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread 1710857839

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 10:56 am

Six of Nottinghamshire's top seven have played international cricket - Lumb, Hales, Patel, Taylor, Voges and Read. But in general they tend to underachieve with the bat.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 18 Jul 2012, 10:58 am

What's up with Tremlett? Easing him in?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:25 am

liverbnz wrote:What's up with Tremlett? Easing him in?

Partly a case of easing him in but, if truth be told, Tremlett looked far from fit at Guildford last week where his bowling was pretty ordinary.

There's also a view that the seaming Trent Bridge wicket will better suit the movement of Linley than the bounce of Tremlett.

Linley already has a wicket, albeit expensive.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 18 Jul 2012, 5:54 pm

The first day ends early with Notts on 178-5 as the rain comes down.

Very surprising decision to leave acting captain Batty out of the starting eleven. However, given a Trent Bridge seamers' wicket and Kartik being the leading slow bowler, perhaps the right one. Certainly a commendably selfless act by Batty assuming he was a party to the decision.

Another surprise - although not as big - was the Brain skippering the side in this match. Not a bad choice in view of Brain's experience but Davies was Hyphen's vice captain. He's now been overlooked whilst two stand ins have - errh - stood in. The wallpaper site is full of rumours that Davies wants away, possibly back to Worcs. Today's overlooking of Davies hardly suggests he's Adams' favourite player at the moment.

More surprises followed as we bowled having won the toss. Five wickets before lunch and Jordan a successful and the most economical bowler! One for him, Lewis and Linley (replacing Tremlett) with two for Meaker.

However, after that - same old, same old as Voges and Read (so good at Guildford on Sunday) started to turn things round with an unbeaten 90 odd stand in quick time.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 18 Jul 2012, 6:16 pm

Now I potentially mention this a bit too often given a conversation I had with guildford at, erm, Guildford, but the amount of times we've had a team 5 down for a low score and allowed them to end with a good total is just ridiculous.

That said, it was still a decent days work and at least we're not looking at a 200-0 jobby at the end of day one and all the seamers took wickets too. Hopefully the weather will allow a result in this match although we need to get them all out for <250 I would think given our weak batting.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 18 Jul 2012, 6:24 pm

Carrotdude wrote:Now I potentially mention this a bit too often given a conversation I had with guildford at, erm, Guildford, but the amount of times we've had a team 5 down for a low score and allowed them to end with a good total is just ridiculous ....

Did think of you, Carrot, when looking at the scores from 5 down to the close. Wink

As you also said - not a bad day's work but, as so often, could and should have ended better given where we were at lunch.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jul 2012, 6:51 pm

good to see Batty dropping out for the sake of the team clap

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed 18 Jul 2012, 7:12 pm

not been able to follow much today... from Surrey's perspective a washout today and may be until tomorrow lunchtime might have been to our advantage... I'm thinking of those 3 crucial points for a draw and maybe 3 bowling points and, being widely optimistic 1 batting point Very Happy

However, a draw is looking unlikely now with the improving weather...
Really interesting to read everyone's thoughts... as others have said.. Batty has been very selfless and comes out of this desparately sad situation with huge credit.... If it is true about Davies, that is very disappointing in deed, especially in the current situation... Just to back up others... re Tremlett.. he is clearly far from fit so I'm sure its better for him to be out the side and trying to build his fitness up... maybe later in the season, there might be some 4 day matches when he could resume playing in the first team... when there is not much at stake!! (I fear there just might be 1 or 2 games like that in September!! Sad sorry, reading this contribution, it makes me sound extremely pessamistc!! I'm not normally! Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 18 Jul 2012, 8:44 pm

CF wrote:good to see Batty dropping out for the sake of the team clap

Was it not CF who was proposing the Brain as the stand in captain in the first place? If so clap for foresight!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 19 Jul 2012, 12:50 am

lets just hope the drop by Spriegel of voges doesnt cost us too much Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:57 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
CF wrote:good to see Batty dropping out for the sake of the team clap

Was it not CF who was proposing the Brain as the stand in captain in the first place? If so clap for foresight!

yup it was Wink

Adams saw sense!

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:08 am

CF - good prediction but I would wait until the match result before lapping up too much applause .... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:19 pm

day 2 a wash out reports churchy clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Jul 2012, 6:53 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:day 2 a wash out reports churchy surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread 1710857839

Hope he didn't have to stand in the rain to give his report! Very Happy

The last I heard they were finally about to get underway at 4.30 when the heavens opened again.

Already looking like a draw unless the captains can reach some sort of agreement for the last day. That might test Zander's Brain.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:55 pm

Frustrating. But it would be premature to rule out a couple of spectacular Surrey batting collapses!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:06 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Frustrating. But it would be premature to rule out a couple of spectacular Surrey batting collapses!

Evening Corporal - it only hit me after my last post that I was tempting fate! Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:09 pm

Evening Guildford - strange lack of interest in Surrey's match on the Eng/SA thread Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:25 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Evening Guildford - strange lack of interest in Surrey's match on the Eng/SA thread Wink

Definitely very strange. Even the opportunity to listen to a Bracegirdle couldn't tempt them .... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm

More rain prevents any play before lunch although better weather is predicted.

Just wonder if the skippers might agree on a one innings match ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Jul 2012, 3:43 pm

day 3 a wash out reports churchy clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

Frustrating once more today but we'll win tomorrow.

Gift them another hundred in the first hour and then chase down 280 in a one innings match.

Well, that's the theory .... Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm

have you been at the funny fags again guildford Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:34 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Gift them another hundred in the first hour and then chase down 280 in a one innings match.

It's more or less in the bag already. What could possibly go wrong? Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:13 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

It's more or less in the bag already. What could possibly go wrong? Erm

quite a lot really! - I prefer a cautious approach.... max bowling points and maybe a batting point!! Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:12 pm

chichestersurryfan wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

It's more or less in the bag already. What could possibly go wrong? surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread 57983

quite a lot really! - I prefer a cautious approach.... max bowling points and maybe a batting point!! Very Happy

Chichester - it looks like Surrey have chosen your approach. According to Churchy, Notts appeared interested in a deal but Surrey seem content to settle for a draw and a few bonus points. All in all, that's not a bad outcome from a trip to Notts although we are going to have to win some time if we are to remain in Division One.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:05 pm

Game certain to be draw. Both sides taking directions from Chichester. Very Happy

Notts 328 all out - a fivefer for Meaker. surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread 1710857839

Surrey 83-0 in their first innings reply with Burns on 52. surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread 1710857839 Admittedly, little pressure - even Surrey can't lose 20 wickets in less than 2 sessions! - but still good experience.

Meanwhile, Sussex have done us a favour by beating (just) Durham who stay below us in the table.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Jul 2012, 4:14 pm

85-1 as Ansari is got by Carter.

Roy comes in at number 3 - if he comes good, might help us get a batting point or even two.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 21 Jul 2012, 6:06 pm

roy enjoyed himself today on his birthday
happy birthday jason a piece of cake is on its way from everyone on the 606v2 forum clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 21 Jul 2012, 6:08 pm

last over coming up 4 needed to get a second batting point Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 21 Jul 2012, 6:10 pm

meaker hits a 4 Yahoo Yahoo
8 points each

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Jul 2012, 6:44 pm

Good to get the second batting point.

They'll be dancing in the streets of Chichester! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 21 Jul 2012, 8:27 pm

Good to see le Roi king and Burns score some good runs, even if in a largely unpressurised situation.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:05 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Good to see le Roi king and Burns score some good runs, even if in a largely unpressurised situation.

This. Plus that extra point may be crucial in the end! Desperately need a win next up though.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:29 pm

Carrotdude wrote:

Desperately need a win next up though.

At Warks .... surrey vs Nottinghamshire match thread 57983

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sun 22 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Good to get the second batting point.

They'll be dancing in the streets of Chichester! Very Happy

There is dancing in the streets here (well atleast in the back garden! Very Happy mainly because the sun is out and a nice bottle of white wine is chilling in the fridge as I write! Very Happy

As others have said, great to get that extra point... could be critical... absolutely agree that at some point we are going to have to win atleast 1 match to avoid relegation....(unless and sorry to refer to football at this point... a couple of years ago, the Hammers avoided relegation even though they were extremely poor... that year there were 3 even worse teams and "we" stayed up with a record low number of points! - interesting that Lancs supposed turnaround in form may have at least temporarily hit the buffers... sounded like the place to be yesterday was Arundel.. just down the road from here... Sussex certainly did us a massive favour ... good to see Le Roi and Burns getting some runs too... I think this will go down to the wire in Sept...

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down