The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Happen To The Oaks, And Who's Fault Is It?

+8
Biltong
HammerofThunor
sugarNspikes
caoimhincentre
LordDowlais
InjuredYetAgain
aucklandlaurie
anotherworldofpain
12 posters

Go down

What Happen To The Oaks, And Who's Fault Is It? Empty What Happen To The Oaks, And Who's Fault Is It?

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:24 pm

Through the late 70's and early 80's Romania loom up as a large force in rugby. They destroy Wales in Bucharest, over turn France, match Ireland at home, run close to the all blacks and lose owing only to the late drop goal in Cardiff against the greatest Welsh team of all time.

And now? Romania languish in 18th spot behind USA.

Was the fall of communism responsible for the end of Romanian rugby aspiration? Will they return to the top 8? And why didn't European do more to including them and help maintain their position?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

What Happen To The Oaks, And Who's Fault Is It? Empty Re: What Happen To The Oaks, And Who's Fault Is It?

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:30 pm

Steve Mc Dowell reckons that club rugby in Romania is on par with Senior B club rugby in Auckland. If its like that then theyre lucky to be 18th.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

What Happen To The Oaks, And Who's Fault Is It? Empty Re: What Happen To The Oaks, And Who's Fault Is It?

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:33 pm

Communism was behind their success as the President made rugby almost compulsory in the army. Take away the compulsory element and I believe playing numbers fell badly.
In the hindsight, the IRB could have tried to bring them into what was the 5 nations before Italy made the progress and overtook them?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 13 Jul 2012, 7:27 am

All their best rugby player got killed in the cvil war during the eightees, like injured again has pointed out, during communism rugby was compulsory as the dictatorship supported it, all the army, police, fire brigade and the rest were made to compete in rugby and as a result they had a decent side, there is enough support over their thogh to make it big again it just needs help from the bigger nations, it's the same with Georgia, rugby is the national sport there would you believe.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 13 Jul 2012, 9:30 am

Is that something you know about, or you just read from Wikipedia? Did you spend any time in Romania before or after the communism?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 13 Jul 2012, 9:48 am

from your original post it looks like you know a bit about Romanian Rugby.

I'm surprised you didnt know the communism connection.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:01 am

caoimhincentre wrote:from your original post it looks like you know a bit about Romanian Rugby.

Like when I said "Was the fall of communism responsible for the end of Romanian rugby aspiration?" you mean? However I am disappoint that other people copy some information from wikipedia and try to pass off as their own knowledge.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:11 am

The way I see it is somebody has got to be 18th in the world. Yes, international/european rugby has a responsibility to develop sides but there's a natural wax and wane of some nations (as well as being affected by political unrest and other factors that have a major bearing).

Not everybody can be moving up at the same time. That's sport. I think most us didn't even know Madagascar had a side until recently.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:14 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:
caoimhincentre wrote:from your original post it looks like you know a bit about Romanian Rugby.

Like when I said "Was the fall of communism responsible for the end of Romanian rugby aspiration?" you mean? However I am disappoint that other people copy some information from wikipedia and try to pass off as their own knowledge.

how do you know they got it from Wiki?

Even if they did what is the difference. you are giving out to someone for seeking information they didnt have to give a more informed answer.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:26 am

Isn't the Georgian national game Lelo? At least that's the tradiational sport in Georgia. The most popular is football. I've heard this before but I've no idea where it's come from. I know Georgia have an 8 team pro league.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:52 am

Is that not how one gains knowledge?

You hear a question, you investigate and broaden your knowledge.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:53 am

biltongbek wrote:

thumbsup Exactly my point

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:56 am

caoimhincentre wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

thumbsup Exactly my point

No worries mate, we will keep on learning and others will just gobsmack thumbsucks. apparently.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:18 am

On the subject of learning Who's has the same pronunciation as whose but can be who is or who has depending on the tense. But it needs to be followed by a verb. Here, fault is a noun so the question should be Whose fault is it?

As to the answer, that's a lot more complicated. One thing's for sure, these Eastern European countries make for great rugby packs. There seems plenty of square shouldered muscular types and though rugby is a game catering for lots of different sizes, these teams seem to be as similar in body shape as you can get. In order to make the step up, they need to be involved in a pan-European championship of some description both at a national level and a club or provincial level.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

So is it Who's who in the zoo?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:25 am

Who's on first...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:26 am

Definitely on first, definitely...
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

biltongbek wrote:

But I am asking about opinion not get the lecutre copy and paste from Wikipedia. We know already what happen in Romania if we have something about education in our past and some general knowledge. Is not DID it happen? and WERE they DO IT? Is about WHAT were they doing? and WHO'SE didn't stop to it? and WHY?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:38 am

Yes, AWOP.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:38 am

biltongbek wrote:

But I am asking about opinion not get the lecutre copy and paste from Wikipedia. We know already what happen in Romania if we have something about education in our past and some general knowledge. Is not DID it happen? and WERE they DO IT? Is about WHAT were they doing? and WHO'SE didn't stop to it? and WHY?

again how do you know it was copied and pasted from Wiki.

You may have gotten someones opinion but you immediately dismissed it and insulted them

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:44 am

AWOP, just to let you know I did NOT get my information from wikipedia, I got my information from remembering what happened at the time, all the Romanian players got killed during the civil war, that is why Romanian rugby has gone the way it has, it never recovered and football now reigns supreme. If you do not like any of our anwers because they might come from wiki then do not ask us and go and find out for yourself.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:44 am

Isn't it just a case of who's as in 'who is'?

Didn't even realise Romania were ever so good at rugby, very interesting. Would be awesome if these eastern european countries got competitive. Would just add a new favour. Imagine the tours etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:47 am

EBOP, Zimbabwe was good in rugby once as well, they have a win against the All Blacks.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:48 am

biltongbek wrote:EBOP, Zimbabwe was good in rugby once as well, they have a win against the All Blacks.
You what!!? Seriously? What's the catch?

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:51 am

No, the question is EBOP the fault is of whom = whose fault is it?

If the verb to be is a stative verb then you can just have the verb to be which is what the joke Who's on first was built around. If it's the present continuous then you need a verb in the continuous like who's playing tonight in the S15?

It's marking time at university so you've caught me in a crabby mood about grammar and spelling I'm afraid. But much like AWOP, my goal only is to educate. Don't shoot the messenger. Blame Wikileaks. Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:54 am

No catch.

The 1949 the Rhodesian Rugby team lead by John Morkel famously beat a touring All Blacks side lead by Fred Allen in Bulawayo 10-8 on 27 July. Three days later they drew with the mighty All Blacks in Salisbury 3-3.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:06 pm

Struth, my world just tipped upside down. Who'd have thought there was a who's gag. I'm still lost Kia, science background me.

ps. And that the ABs had lost to Rhodesia, thanks biltong.

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:07 pm

biltongbek wrote:No catch.

The 1949 the Rhodesian Rugby team lead by John Morkel famously beat a touring All Blacks side lead by Fred Allen in Bulawayo 10-8 on 27 July. Three days later they drew with the mighty All Blacks in Salisbury 3-3.

i hope you didnt get this from wiki or some other site and is entirely your opinion

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:09 pm

I did. Laugh

But to be fair I did know about it before hand. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:12 pm

Was it a dodgy kiwi ref or something Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm

biltongbek wrote:EBOP, Zimbabwe was good in rugby once as well, they have a win against the All Blacks.
Yeah, I heard that Wales have beaten NZ too. I think that was just somebody having me on though.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:17 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:
Yeah, I heard that Wales have beaten NZ too. I think that was just somebody having me on though.
Can't find any record on wiki though. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:17 pm

EBOP wrote:Was it a dodgy kiwi ref or something Whistle
Probably some home grown SA referee. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:18 pm

biltongbek wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:
If it's not on wiki it didn't happen Very Happy

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:19 pm

It was so long ago we may as well just erase it from historical records Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:20 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:
If it's not on wiki it didn't happen Very Happy
Then again I don't don't they go back very far, only about 50 years or so.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:21 pm

EBOP wrote:It was so long ago we may as well just erase it from historical records Whistle
No problems, I have already erased the last two years of Springbok rugby from my memory.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:23 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Same same

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:24 pm

EBOP wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
Same same

I suppose you're right, six of one or half a dozen of the other.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:31 pm

Here you go EBOP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfmvkO5x6Ng.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:48 pm

What's that Kia? Not working for some reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 13 Jul 2012, 1:01 pm

That's the who's on first joke with Abbott and Costello. Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nti08LWtxJI&feature=fvwrel

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 1:15 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:That's the who's on first joke with Abbott and Costello. Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nti08LWtxJI&feature=fvwrel
Laugh Genius! Throw it to Who!?

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 13 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

EBOP wrote:It was so long ago we may as well just erase it from historical records Whistle

But then you would need to erase Wales last win too! And it would be a veritable whose who of recriminations if you try that on here!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

You go first base AWoP

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 13 Jul 2012, 1:47 pm

It dates from the 1950s but the comedy is still relevant not to mention genuinely funny. It'd make a good dictation actually. I imagine many people would get a lot of it wrong.

Nice try AWOP but it's Who's who although your version is pronounced the same.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 13 Jul 2012, 3:01 pm

There is another joke here about genuinely funny from the 50's but still going on, but I wont making it because some thin skin person might be getting upset again.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Jul 2012, 4:59 pm

some thin skin person might get upset???? lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 13 Jul 2012, 5:29 pm

I skimmed over the replies and everything I know about Romanian rugby has probably been covered.

Most of the Romanian players were employed by the Police or Army, and were paid just to play rugby. In other words they were fully professional athletes but were paid by the government.

The communist regime did back rugby, but when it fell apart, so did the rugby in Romania. As stated quite a few players were killed in the revolution. Though to be fair Romanian rugby was still pretty strong up until 1994 then it started to go down hill rapidly, and players left the game in droves and most of their clubs folded. Another big problem they had was all their decent players went to France when the game went professional and then refused to return for International duty because the French clubs refused to pay them if they were away and the Romanian team couldn't. So it became a situation where any decent lad that brke through into the Romanian team went to play in France and didn't come back, so they could never build a consistent team.

The situation is not unlike what happened to their football team they had 2 clubs in their capital Burcharest, Steaua and Dynamo, one represents the Army, the other the police, and all the best players went to those teams.

I have read very differing stories about Romania, apparently they were asked to join the 5 Nations but declined. Though I have also read they they wanted to join but the British countries did not want to travel to Eastern Europe to play.

In their peak they had something like 13,000 players and over 100 clubs. Today they have 10,000 players and 90 clubs (according to the IRB website) so it is not too far behind their heyday. Though in the mid 90's they were down to 30 something clubs and a few hundred players, so the game nearly died out there.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 7:05 pm

Romania in rugby,like Hungary in Soccer were used as Propaganda tools of the Sov Bloc during the Cold war. Composed of Army personnell to prove THERE way was best.Like the Olympics when it was a race how many Medals USAv USSR won to prove supiriority.Or the Germanic Super Race of Adolf Hitler when the Berlin Wall camedown there was a cultural back lash.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down