The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

J.P. Morgan 7s: London Welsh 52-5 Leicester Tigers

+17
formerly known as Sam
beshocked
mckay1402
lostinwales
Taffineastbourne
Sgt_Pooly
Casartelli
Driver
Smirnoffpriest
sugarNspikes
Geordie
doctor_grey
Portnoy
BigTrevsbigmac
gowales
ChequeredJersey
maestegmafia
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

J.P. Morgan 7s: London Welsh 52-5 Leicester Tigers - Page 2 Empty J.P. Morgan 7s: London Welsh 52-5 Leicester Tigers

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Jul 2012 - 0:14

First topic message reminder :

http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/video_audio/167444.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

J.P. Morgan 7s: London Welsh 52-5 Leicester Tigers - Page 2 Empty Re: J.P. Morgan 7s: London Welsh 52-5 Leicester Tigers

Post by red_stag Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 10:06

Portnoy wrote:'shocked,
Leicester don't take the sevens seriously. It's a shame but it's their choice.

I'd disagree with that, 'shocked. Sevens is a short-form variation vehicle suitable for pulling in new punters (like 20/Twenty) - but not the real deal.

And if 7's takes off could it end up (like with cricket) having the tail wagging the dog?

I agree with your Portnoy.

Although there are tangible benefits to playing Sevens, I tend to see it as a rival to Rugby Union not a development tool.

Sevens is the game being played in emerging rugby nations. Sevens is the game that will showcase rugby in the Olympics not rugby union.

It isn't rugby union and will 7s tournaments in the preseason help rugby union teams later in the season. Maybe. But I'm not convinced.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

J.P. Morgan 7s: London Welsh 52-5 Leicester Tigers - Page 2 Empty Re: J.P. Morgan 7s: London Welsh 52-5 Leicester Tigers

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 10:12

London Welsh looked excellent I thought, but then again, they were made up of 7s mercenaries. Iolo Evans was sheer class. Massive unit too for a winger. Sale were pretty impressive too I thought- Tom Brady especially.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 11:01

I am surprised that Lon Welsh decided to go down this route.
I understand that they were put in a difficult situation with little time to prepare but, they are saying that in their whole establishment that they couldnt field a squad thats from London Welsh!

I would have loved to have seen Welsh field a team, even if it was just their academy guys - yes they might have been cained in a few matches but they would have gained some development for their guys and the local suppot might have been behind them more.

As it is, bringing in a load of mercs kind of devalues it for me. Even if no one has broken a rule, it shouldnt have been allowed.
I have little doubt that LW will win the competition with this squad, but they wont win much else this season.
I cant imagine that they have gained many supportes either.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 11:06

propdavid london Little doubt London Welsh will win the competition? We'll see. I wouldn't write off the other sides.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 11:08

They could have at least used a team of their academy/first squad players supplemented with 4/5 'merc' players that they brought in to bolster the team.

That might have been the best of both worlds, with local support being able to get behind the academy players, but at the same time the team remaining quite competitive and ensuring the youngsters confidence doesn't get battered.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 11:12

Welsh pretty much employed the same tactic which they used to gain promotion ie. not use many of their own squad.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 11:27

It wouldn't have been quite so bad if they were giving trials to these guys but it seems they are just out to grab the silverware. Fair enough if that is what they want to do, it didn't help Falcons last season (though they used their own players) so I'm not sure why they've gone to the trouble.

If LW want to be successful long term in the AP then giving some of their youngsters the chance to learn at events like this and trialing potential signings is better than trying to showboat.

Mind you, if LW have any sense whatsoever they'll be trying to thrash out contracts with that Evans chappy and the GB Uni playmaker as the both looked classy.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 12:29

The thing is though i don't think Welsh actually have any "youngsters" or an academy of any sort...

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 12:43

gowales wrote:The thing is though i don't think Welsh actually have any "youngsters" or an academy of any sort...

Blood hell. I thought that they were a club with more than a 1st and 2nds.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 12:48

So LW dont have a suitable stadium of their own...dont have an academy or tool for bringing through youngsters...have threatened to take the all sorts of measures against the RFU, couldnt even fill a 7's team, are now hated by fans of all other clubs ..and are associated with and have Wales in their name (never good to win across English fans)

What can i say......they'll go a long way! Wink Erm

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 13:03

Portnoy wrote:
gowales wrote:The thing is though i don't think Welsh actually have any "youngsters" or an academy of any sort...

Blood hell. I thought that they were a club with more than a 1st and 2nds.

They've got a youth side and lots of links with amateur rugby in Richmond. But i don't think they have a pro academy or pathway for youngsters to join the 1st team. To be fair though they have been a training ground for Quins, Wasps and London Irish to snap up talent.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 13:47

Not sure that is particularly accurate gowales. London Irish have loaned their academy players to Welsh to gain Championship experience, as well as giving them a few on dual registration for the same purpose. I'm not sure that Irish have snapped up any talent from Welsh to be honest.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 23 Jul 2012 - 18:49

Wasps had 3 academy players dual registered last season with LW & assisted in their 'promotion'.
They of course will not be available this coming season.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2