The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Players BANNED from opening ceremony

+3
lags72
reckoner
Super D Boon
7 posters

Go down

Players BANNED from opening ceremony Empty Players BANNED from opening ceremony

Post by Super D Boon Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:14 pm

According to the BBC website, Murray and co. will not be taking part in the opening ceremony for the games.

The players were sent what seems like a crass email from Paul Hutchings saying that "they would not be taking part".

How stupid. Surely a player/athlete should decide for themselves whether they want to attend or not? Afterall, it is their special moment that they've worked so hard for. It's not like any of them apart from A. Murray has much of a chance of adding to their luggage so surely they should be allowed to go if they want to??? It's their special moment and a Home Olympics will never come around again.

Anyone agrees...?

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Players BANNED from opening ceremony Empty Re: Players BANNED from opening ceremony

Post by reckoner Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:22 pm

I couldn't find this story on the BBC site, don't suppose you have a link?

I agree it should be up to the player - maybe there's some sort of plogistical reason?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Players BANNED from opening ceremony Empty Re: Players BANNED from opening ceremony

Post by Super D Boon Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:25 pm

Sorry Reckoner forgot to post link, it's here. When you think there are 8 tennis flag bearers this is a harsh and what I would call unnecessary decision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19013470

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:30 pm

Thanks for the link!

Wow that really is a stupid thing to do. Just kills morale in a typically bureaucratic "I know best" style. Players should be able to make their own decision wrt time management.

Yeah yeah it's about winning we get it but does anyone really expect Baltacha to win a medal? Cruel, myopic thing to do to the tennis team.

Last edited by reckoner on Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : where are my manners!)

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:32 pm

reckoner wrote: ...............................................................

..................................- maybe there's some sort of plogistical reason?

You had me reaching for my trusty Oxford English dictionary on that one reckoner, but then I swiftly concluded that the letter p was just a typo .... Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:32 pm

It eliminates an excuse. Let's be honest, it wouldn't be an enormous surprise if many of the squad lost their opening matches. If that happens, there is bound to be criticism of the players having a late night before competing.

If the players miss the ceremony, Hutchings can then say "not my fault" if they fail to perform well.

If you are looking at this article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19013470

Don't you think Andy looks slightly embarassed to be there?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:33 pm

I think Federer and Nadal took part in Beijing's ceremony and it did their chances no harm as it turns out.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:37 pm

In which case HM, the LTA are looking to cover their own behinds rather than caring about the wishes of their players. Oh well some things never change I guess. OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:38 pm

lags72 wrote:
reckoner wrote: ...............................................................

..................................- maybe there's some sort of plogistical reason?

You had me reaching for my trusty Oxford English dictionary on that one reckoner, but then I swiftly concluded that the letter p was just a typo .... Wink

The p is silent! (Wodehouse, anyone?)

Yeah, apologies, my typing is appalling!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 27 Jul 2012, 4:47 pm

Maybe you need to have a certain level of personality to attend these functions? In that case, fundamentally correct decision.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jul 2012, 5:19 pm

How many athletes and associated staff will be competing in the olympics in total?

There are the footballers (male & female), hockey players, basketball players, swimmers and divers including synchronised swimming, track and field athletes, gymnasts, beach volleyballers, boxers, wrestlers, weight lifters, martial art competitors, archers, beach volleyballers, cyclists (track, road & BMX, mountain bikers), canoers, horse riders, fencers, handballers, rowers and sailors, modern pentathletes, table tennis players, shooters, trampoliners, triathletes, volleyballers, beach volleyballers, water poloists, badminton players, tennis players, from 205 countries.

Will they all fit in the stadium: considering you have all the people involved in the opening ceremony, the organisers, the ambulances, the security staff, the medical people etc, plus all the spectators.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 27 Jul 2012, 5:42 pm

It is all a sneaky plot by team GB. Invite everyone to a party, make sure it starts really late... maybe get them all drunk. Then stay home (don't stay in a crowded, noisy, temporary "youth hostel" eating mass catered food) get to bed early, set the alarm clock. And with a bit of luck get a medal without having to do any of that competing lark because the opposition will have overslept.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 27 Jul 2012, 5:45 pm

Nore, it's not a question of them all fitting in. I think the problem here is that they are banned from going.

They are all young adults and should be allowed to make their own decisions. Is staying up late really going to harm them? Afterall, what's to say they won't watch it on the TV instead. Some players won't be playing until the next evening or even Sunday so should get enough rest but it should be for them as individuals to decide.

I think it's just the LTA making sure that if and when their non-Andy Murray players take a trouncing in the early rounds then opening ceremony participation can't be blamed. I think it's a very cynical decision and given that some of the players really wanted to go to be inspired by the moment, not going could have the reverse effect .

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 27 Jul 2012, 5:47 pm

Or if they get any criticism they can just say they were desperate to attend but sadly they were banned.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 27 Jul 2012, 5:50 pm

Ha I would laugh if Andy Murray got knocked out in round 1 and then blamed it on being too upset after he couldn't attend the opening ceremony laughing

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jul 2012, 6:04 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Nore, it's not a question of them all fitting in. I think the problem here is that they are banned from going. ...
Maybe the beach volleyballers will attend ...

Certainly they would expect to be allowed in for the closing ceremony.

For the opening ceremony I will have to go along with the British Olympic Association decision that "It is a choice made by each sport team leader together with the athletes." But hopefully it is not a dictatorial decision by one "sports team leader", but a decision made on best medical and coaching advice. Remember all competitors are chosen by their sporting association / country to represent them: they are not going as "independent" athletes. This is why, on a separate note, the behaviour of Philipe Idowu is not acceptable, he is part of the athletics team representing Britain, he is not competing as an independent athlete. Anyway back to topic - if the players were only informed by email today (Friday) - it would seem crass. It should have been discussed with the competitors etc first.

However the BBC report looks like another BS report so I am not sure whether to trust them:
FROM THE BBC REPORT
"... were informed of the decision by email on Friday."

"It is a choice made by each sport team leader together with the athletes."

"Tennis team leader Paul Hutchins told the players in writing that none of them would be present at the event"

"The BOA discussed the issue at length and agreed that athletes competing in the first 72 hours of the Games should prioritise performance."

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 27 Jul 2012, 7:28 pm

I can see Ian Fletcher / Hugh Bonneville even now taking calls from Seb and trying to find a way through this one - or maybe this was his solution when told a third of the athletes couldn't attend because the Algerian or somesuch delegation is demanding it has to be closed by sundown or they'll withdraw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zhzqw
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 27 Jul 2012, 8:29 pm

Yeah agree Nore there seems to be quite a few contradictions in the article. Although I wouldn't mind betting that the being told "on Friday" is the truth knowing the LTA. And some of the players look dissapointed. Laugh

I think Henman took part in every opening ceremony of evewry Olympics he was a part of and so obviously had a choice. It's a shame the same can't apply to these players.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down