The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super XV Final: Chiefs v Sharks - Preview & Live Match Thread

+16
Pal Joey
emack2
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
yappysnap
chewed_mintie
Comfort
Morgannwg
doctor_grey
aucklandlaurie
Mr Fishpaste
Full Credit
Taylorman
Rava
disneychilly
George Carlin
Biltong
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Super XV Final: Chiefs v Sharks - Preview & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Super XV Final: Chiefs v Sharks - Preview & Live Match Thread

Post by Biltong Mon 30 Jul - 7:58

First topic message reminder :

The Super XV final is here, after 16 rounds of pool matches where the Sharks qualified in 6th position just making the play offs and the Chiefs winning the New Zealand conference to end in the second position it is now time for the two finalists to go for glory.

The Sharks will play in their 4th Super Rugby final and the Chiefs in only their second Super Rugby final.

Road to the final for the Chiefs:
Lost against Highlanders at home 19-23
Won against Blues at home 29-14
Won against Crusaders away 24-19
Won against Brumbies away 29-22
Won against Waratahs at home 30-13
Won against Western Force away 20-12
Won against Cheetahs away 39-33
Won against Sharks away 18-12
Won against Hurricanes at home 33-14
Won against Lions at home 34-21
Lost against Reds away 27-42
Won against Bulls at home 28-22
Won against Blues away 41-34
Won against Highlanders away 27-21
Lost against Crusaders away 21-28
Lost against Hurricanes away 25-28

Semi final:
Won against Crusaders at home 20-17

Road to the final Sharks:
Lost against Bulls away 13-18
Lost against Stormers away 12-15
Won against Lions at home 32-20
Won against Reds at home 27-22
Lost against Waratahs away 30-34
Won against Brumbies away 29-26
Lost against Hurricanes away 18-42
Won against Blues away 29-23
Lost against Chiefs at home 12-18
Won against Highlanders at home 28-16
Won against Western Force at home 53-11
Won against Cheetahs away 34-20
Won against Stormers at home 25-20
Lost against Lions away 28-38
Won against Bulls at home 32-10
Won against Cheetahs at home 34-15

Play off match:
Won against Reds away 30-17

Semi final:
Won against Stormers away 26-19

The Chiefs have led the conference most of the time, only to fail the top spot by losing their last round robin match to the Hurricanes, the reality is they are the form team in the competition winning their conference ahead of 7 times champions the Crusaders.

The Sharks were almost out of the running halfway through the pool rounds courtesy of a very poor start. But they never gave up and with a run of 6/7 wins in the last 7 rounds managed to secure the sixth spot that forced them firstly to have to travel to Brisbane to take on the Australian Conference winners, after dispatching them in style, they travelled back to SA to take on the South African Conference winners, only having now to travel back to New Zealand for the final in Hamilton.

The Chiefs will go into the final as the favourites, they beat the Sharks in Durban, they have the home advantage, they had an extra week of rest during the play off week and they don’t have to travel.

The Sharks have it all to play for, in the last 3 weeks they will have travelled over 30 000 km from Durban to Brisbane, From Brisbane to Capetown, and now from Capetown to Sydney and then on Thursday from Sydney to Auckland, only to get on a bus to Hamilton.

So the odds are stacked against them, but never write off a team that has nothing to lose, they have beaten both the other conference leaders against the odds, what’s one more win?

Match ups.
Kerr Barlow and Cruden vs Mcleod and Michalack
Schwalger vs Bismark
Clarke and Retallick vs Bresler and Alberts
Messam, Latimer and Thompson vs Coetzee, Daniels and Kankowski
Lambie vs Robinson
SBW and Horril vs Whitehead and Pietersen

It should be a cracker, do the Sharks have anything left in the tank or are they running on empty. Both the sharks and the Chiefs have a net try surplus of 17 after the round robins, the Sharks scoring 2 more tries than the Chiefs and the Chiefs conceding two tries less than the sharks.

I don’t think there are two more deserving temas in the finals, the Chiefs for making it too the top in the most competitive Conference and the sharks for having beaten both the other two Conference winners.

Last edited by biltongbek on Mon 30 Jul - 17:13; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Super XV Final: Chiefs v Sharks - Preview & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Super XV Final: Chiefs v Sharks - Preview & Live Match Thread

Post by doctor_grey Sat 4 Aug - 9:00

Nanai-Williams run a bit like Jason Robinson. Same quick step.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Super XV Final: Chiefs v Sharks - Preview & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Super XV Final: Chiefs v Sharks - Preview & Live Match Thread

Post by doctor_grey Sat 4 Aug - 9:00

Lambie has been a mistake. Hasn't played in too long to be in this match.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 4 Aug - 9:01

Smart offensive tactics from the Chiefs... those little chip kicks and now a cross kick from Cruden with only a wicked bounce thwarting both players in the in-goal area.

10-3 to the Chiefs; 24th min.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 4 Aug - 9:19

Chiefs have got to feel good about where they are now. Could have had more, too. They are doing a nice job keeping the ball from the Sharks, who clearly can't score without the ball.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 4 Aug - 9:32

Sadly the Sharks aren't in this. Cruden is messing with them with those little chip kicks
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 4 Aug - 9:36

The Chiefs are dminating, but someone is going to have to take their obstrucive runnng to the media to make referees notice the severity of it.

Chiefs getting away with a lot of things, not that the Sharks are able to take control anyway

Last edited by biltongbek on Sat 4 Aug - 9:37; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 4 Aug - 9:37

And the forearm smash to Kankowski's head?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 4 Aug - 9:38

Can't see why the Sharks would like possession. They need to hold the ball and attack.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 4 Aug - 9:51

wow. over for Sharks. Great for Chiefa.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 4 Aug - 10:15

Congrats on the double Waikato. (netball too) OK OK

A comprehensive thrashing as AWOP predicted... Whistle

It really has been a ruthless performance from the Chiefs. They had an aggressive game plan and it sure paid dividends. Commiserations to the Sharks - they're a great side too but it simply was a bridge too far for them.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 4 Aug - 10:19

Yeah, mate. A bridge too far.
Great win for Chiefs, I like their approach.
Shame for Sharks, gutty bunch.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by stormers1 Sat 4 Aug - 10:23

well done chiefs, deserved winners.
stormers1
stormers1

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 4 Aug - 10:32

Well you have to give credit to the Chiefs, they were the best team in the competition, they were too intense for the Sharks today who just looked out of their depth.

It is a shame the Sharks couldn't put up more of a fight, but then all credit to them for making the final.

It seemed form the start that this was just a bridge too far.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sat 4 Aug - 10:49

Well my earlier 15+ point prediction came true. Sharks didn't really fire a shot after the first 20 mins and the Chiefs dominated. Unlucky Sharks, travel would have been a big factor but I do think they were wholly outplayed by a fired up, determined Chiefs team.

Great haka at the finish, awesome sight.

Only downside was the high shot on Daniel, but possibly more worrying the shoulder charge on Lambie by SBW....he may just get a citing for that.

Anyway, I think we need to move in the direction of holding the semis and finals in one country from now on. Fatigue from travelling is too big a factor.

Designate the stadiums for Wk 2 & 3 of the finals. Home games for Wk 1 and let that be the end of it. Split the gate takings between the teams participating.....

Last edited by chewed_mintie on Sat 4 Aug - 11:03; edited 1 time in total

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 4 Aug - 10:59

Well done chiefs, and well done Sharks to come from where they have in the last 6 weeks is amazing.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 4 Aug - 11:00

And how about those Sharks players have to play next Friday in the Currie Cup, How insane is that...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 4 Aug - 11:05

I think Steve Walsh also deserves some credit, he allowed the game to flow and wasn't trigger happy.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 4 Aug - 11:07

biltongbek wrote:I think Steve Walsh also deserves some credit, he allowed the game to flow and wasn't trigger happy.

No yellow cards, isnt it great to see a referee who manages the game rather than adjudicates over it..

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 4 Aug - 14:28

aucklandlaurie wrote:
biltongbek wrote:I think Steve Walsh also deserves some credit, he allowed the game to flow and wasn't trigger happy.
No yellow cards, isnt it great to see a referee who manages the game rather than adjudicates over it..
Fair enough. Probably the best match I have seen Walsh have. His history is to want to be the spotlight, not just in the spotlight or centre of attention. Good on him. Maybe his rebirth really has helped. The story should be the Chiefs who were terrific.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 4 Aug - 14:32

Chiefs were dominant after first ten/fifteen minutes. Sharks reminded moe of Musnter if they are dominated or matched in the pack they struggle as they seemed to have little out wide. Chiefs weren't flashy but did the business and did put together some good backplay. Just overpowered the Sharks.

Loved the Lambeau leap from Sonny Bill after his try!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 4 Aug - 14:39

I thought they were kind of flashy like. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 4 Aug - 14:41

They were a bit but weren't like unbelievably so, poor weather proably played a part though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 4 Aug - 14:44

Handling was surprisingly good (from an Oz p.o.v. of course) in that weather.

They way they hit the gain line on those pop up passes left little margin for error. I thought the Sharks were 'circling' Wink for intercepts... they were very close on a few occasions.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 4 Aug - 21:18

Predictably Chiefs won,Nanai-Williams was very impressive as was Robbie Robinson.Sharks looked physically gone by half time,they had an impressive first 20 minutes.The Kicking was a mixed bag by both sides some good some indifferent including Crudon.Rain probably caused a lot of the handling problems but there were a fair few shovelled or just plain hospital passes.If Steve Walsh had applied the letter of the law the gentlemen who took out Kankowski head high would have seen Red[since Cited].It was fairly obvious in the second half the Sharks were playing for pride .There away record has`nt been that good losing to Bulls,Stormers and Lions away.The extra game against a relatively rested side proved crucial.The Chiefs have been one of the best two sides all year and are worthy S15 Champs.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 4 Aug - 21:24

Alan, the Sharks still have the best travelling record of all 15 teams in the competition.

Today was just one too many.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 4 Aug - 21:30

Alan, Yes Nanai-Williams and robbie Robinson did have a lot of space to run into, however alot of that was attributed to the defence that Sonny Bill drew.

Sharks had one flight across the Indian Ocean too many.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 4 Aug - 21:36

Hi.Biltong I wrote a thread of my thoughts on the Super15 system and wild card sides meeting an Away Final.Over 80 read it none bothered to reply so I have no idea of others thoughts. But the travel factor like last year waslike a team playing with loaded dice.Before any one objects I know it is the system but to me theFinal should played on neutral ground.A rest and a Semi home venue should be enough of an advantage for any team.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 4 Aug - 22:14

emack2 wrote:Hi.Biltong I wrote a thread of my thoughts on the Super15 system and wild card sides meeting an Away Final.Over 80 read it none bothered to reply so I have no idea of others thoughts. But the travel factor like last year waslike a team playing with loaded dice.Before any one objects I know it is the system but to me theFinal should played on neutral ground.A rest and a Semi home venue should be enough of an advantage for any team.

Yep next year it will played in dubai in front of 3000.

Well done Chiefs. Predictable result and scoreline. Going away at the end. A bridge too far for the sharks and this chiefs side is not a one off. A shift from the saders stronghold on the NZ side of this competition is happening and the chiefs, hurricanes and blues next year will offset the trend now that more quality coaching resource has been pumped into the franchises.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 4 Aug - 23:30

Hi.Taylorman when I said neutral it would be the Third Tri-Nations side ,Argentina are not yet ready To host it.I would expect to get more than 3000 at Suncorp in Brisbane for example.My self the best way as I wrote before
no Conferences an early start.Then play each side once Home and Away alternate years whoever tops the log Wins it.Never happen the bean counters would`nt allow it.As to next year Crusaders are only losing one player from there Nominal Log.Tom Donnelly and he may be back from Japan to take part too.Chiefs lose SBW who has been the heart of there back line,and there set piece lacks consistency.Blues are losing half a team and replacements may not yet be there.Highlanders and Hurricanes also have defections I hope ALL the Nz Franchises do well 2013.Chiefs were worthy winners and STATS don`t Lie the Home Side Won again.For me THE only way to prove a teams worth is Head to Head,hence my dislike.Of The Super Conference system and RWC`s which are both artificial unless in the case of the RWC teams are drawn by lot.My Opinion,my Ethos which as you are well aware varies from most here but is STILL a valid one.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 5 Aug - 0:47

Its not just the bean counters. The whole point of rugby is to be a part of being able to watch your team win a major trophy at least once in a lifetime. The match at Hamilton involved the whole town for the preceeding week and the aftermatch celebrations. None of that woud have happened in say, Brisbane. Tickets would have been tough to sell and only NZ ex pats would probably attend.

The chiefs and the very loyal fans have deserved to host this final and playing away is part and parcel of the game since the game began.

And frankly the scoreline suggests that the chiefs would have beaten either the sharks or the stormers in SA. Travelling one way after a series of tough hard matches and a well placed bye saw the chiefs primed for this match, and they had already beaten the sharks on the road. That, combined with the Stormers poor home knockout record means a chiefs win was likely, despite their loss in 2009. This is a very different chiefs side to then.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 5 Aug - 1:15

Its also not just about the home side always winning. 11 of the 16 titles were won by the no.1 finishing side. Of the remaining five the second team won four with the saders 1999 from fourth upsetting the trend when the top two were both beaten

So although home sides are favoured the are also the best in pool where all is, prior to the conference system, even.

Being at home definitely helps, but no more than being the best side in pool play.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 5 Aug - 1:53

biltongbek wrote:Alan, the Sharks still have the best travelling record of all 15 teams in the competition.

Not from what IF get biltong. Since 96 sharks have won 33℅ of offshore matches and 39℅ from all away matches including SA.

Crusaders are 49 and 51 for the same. Id be surprised if anyone held that sort of record given they've only finished outside the top four three times.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 5 Aug - 6:03

Taylorman wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Alan, the Sharks still have the best travelling record of all 15 teams in the competition.

Not from what IF get biltong. Since 96 sharks have won 33℅ of offshore matches and 39℅ from all away matches including SA.

Crusaders are 49 and 51 for the same. Id be surprised if anyone held that sort of record given they've only finished outside the top four three times.
I should have said in the Super XV Taylorman, was merely contradicting Alan who sais the Sharks are a poor away team.

As for the scoreline suggesting the Chiefs would have won in SA, well that is pure conjecture.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 5 Aug - 6:12

Biltong

In fairness, you South Africans should be happy in the knowledge that your third team in the top six made the it to the final, rides in aeroplanes and all.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 5 Aug - 7:27

Well I had the Sharks down as winners, but there was only one team in that. Sonny Bill gets to add Super 15 medal to his CV, what's the chances of him competing in boxing at the 2016 olympics? Very Happy
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 5 Aug - 7:30

For GB you mean? It's a possibility I suppose.... Whistle kerching! $$$

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 5 Aug - 7:34

No show ponies allowed in team GB.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 5 Aug - 7:35

Ouch. laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 5 Aug - 7:38

They could try and work on that minor aspect of his character, no?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 5 Aug - 7:43

But then his boxing would still need a lot of work.... Seriously though, SBW must have an impressive set of medals! He may or may not get to add a rugby championship medal to the RWC and Super 15 one in a couple of months. Then there's his medals from the other code; the bulldogs won something didn't they? The guy is just THE athlete.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 5 Aug - 7:47

Do they have a Bum of the Month club in the2016 Olympics,?Would the Chiefs have won if they had been the Wild card option and had to play Sharks or Stormers in SA?As I wrote previously Home side wins is standard format Super/3Ns.Also that the side concerned was usually the side that had topped the log.I accept that the current Knockout will continue in Super Rugby but Conference system should be abandoned. To many easy points in some Conferences qualifying should be on most points scored.NOT because your top of ypur Conference and it`s PC to include you.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 5 Aug - 7:48

Yeah, he had an NRL Premiership win with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in 2004. That was a team of stars and a star team.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 5 Aug - 7:51

Morgannwg wrote:No show ponies allowed in team GB.

none allowed in their rugby teams either.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 5 Aug - 7:52

Kind of ironic isn't it? That's another thing invented by the Brits. Whistle

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 5 Aug - 7:53

emack2 wrote:Do they have a Bum of the Month club in the2016 Olympics,?

You didn't react well to his announcement to play in Japan, did you Alan? Loyalty is not his best quality, so why don't the NZRU just hand him some kind of Carter-esque sabbatical, he is going to be very sought after for a long time. I would like to see more of him in an All Black jersey after he takes care of his pension fund in Japan. Not sure why he is still doing boxing though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 5 Aug - 7:55

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:No show ponies allowed in team GB.

none allowed in their rugby teams either.

Haha. You have a point. I can think a few from that team that play in white. None from the teams in red, or green or purple though...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 5 Aug - 7:55

Whats this "bum of the month" business? it doesnt sound very nice.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 5 Aug - 8:05

Well, it depends on whose bum is bum of the month. Have you seen those woman hurdlers at the Olympics? Super XV Final: Chiefs v Sharks - Preview & Live Match Thread - Page 2 3933776953

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 5 Aug - 8:12

EBOP

What about some of those chicks in the heptathlon? had to flick over to the weightlifting to get my mind back on sport.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 5 Aug - 8:14

Weightlifting? I'm not into packed lunches...

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next