The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question of the day - Jessica Ennis

+20
compelling and rich
BamBam
ShahenshahG
dyrewolfe
seanmichaels
bellchees
paperbag_puncher
superflyweight
Duty281
djlovesyou
trottb
eirebilly
Thomond
Crimey
Galted
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Jennifer1984
Soldier_Of_Fortune
ChequeredJersey
Adam D
24 posters

Go down

Would Jessica get coverage if she wasnt attractive?

Question of the day - Jessica Ennis Vote_lcap48%Question of the day - Jessica Ennis Vote_rcap 48% 
[ 12 ]
Question of the day - Jessica Ennis Vote_lcap52%Question of the day - Jessica Ennis Vote_rcap 52% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 25

Question of the day - Jessica Ennis Empty Question of the day - Jessica Ennis

Post by Adam D Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:30 am

Obviously Jessica is an incredibly talented lady, however, do you think that she would be getting the kind of coverage that she does, if she wasn't attractive?

In other words, would we all be talking about her at all?

Whenever you open a paper, she is always the one who is pictured, yet stands no more realistic chance of a gold than some of our other athletes. So is it purely down to her being a looker?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Question of the day - Jessica Ennis Empty Re: Question of the day - Jessica Ennis

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:37 am

Heptathlon is a good event for the UK. She is maybe the best in the World at it. She is also one of our athletes most likely to medal. If she were less attractive she'd get less coverage but still a lot
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Question of the day - Jessica Ennis Empty Re: Question of the day - Jessica Ennis

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:29 am

Shes alright but not fantastic.

Leryn Franco on the other hand...

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:21 am

She should be judged on her performances and that alone.

Why does the sight of a woman in a running suit reduce men to dribbling idiots..? It's her uniform, for goodness sake not a garment of sexual allure.

Do you think women don't know you're looking at them and squirming in your underpants...? What are you trying to see..? A bit of nipple poking through the vest, eh..? A little cameltoe, perhaps..? Phwooarrr, exciting, eh, boys..? Rolling Eyes

That sort of thing is to be expected of adolescent boys having a little flick through the pages of their mum's Freeman's catalogue in the quiet of their bedroom, but don't you think you should grow out of that at some point in life..?

I'm sure Jess Ennis knows men are drooling over her and I wouldn't be at all surprised if she thinks you're a bunch of sad muppets, which is pretty much what most women think of men like that. She won't say so, of course. She' more intent on winning an Olympic medal.

Here's a tip, men: When women are racing, try watching the race. It won't give you a hard on, but you might just be surprised to find how good women are at sport.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:29 am

Come Jenifer some of these atheletes are happily complicit in this.Ennis is quite happy to be the poster girl of British sports ( even if shes been described as "fat"), and Victoria Pendleton has done a number of "glamour" shoots without her uniform or anything else on.

If youre wondering what it is that turns us into drooling idiots, its usually the perky bottoms and excessive legs.

Fairly or not Addlington is more famous for being told she looks like a dolphin than for being a multi medal winner. Theres a lot of men who prefer getting a hard on to watching sport, unless its the wife the for some reason we all feel the need to go to the pub to watch the football instead.

If you want to change this you may have to resort to gene therapy.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:40 am

Thought she was more famous for Frankie Boyle saying it's like she's looking into the back of a spoon but it's proof that women athletes still get coverage if they're not overly doable.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:55 am

Galted wrote:Thought she was more famous for Frankie Boyle saying it's like she's looking into the back of a spoon but it's proof that women athletes still get coverage if they're not overly doable.

He followed it up recently by saying she looked like a dolphin.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:08 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Come Jenifer some of these atheletes are happily complicit in this.Ennis is quite happy to be the poster girl of British sports ( even if shes been described as "fat"), and Victoria Pendleton has done a number of "glamour" shoots without her uniform or anything else on.

If youre wondering what it is that turns us into drooling idiots, its usually the perky bottoms and excessive legs.

Fairly or not Addlington is more famous for being told she looks like a dolphin than for being a multi medal winner. Theres a lot of men who prefer getting a hard on to watching sport, unless its the wife the for some reason we all feel the need to go to the pub to watch the football instead.

I've played a lot of sport and I've been in a lot of women's changing rooms and I've yet to ever hear any female sportsperson who thought the calls of "Get 'em out for the lads" or "show us yer knickers darlin' " is remotely attractive.

When Jess Ennis poses for photographs in her sports kit, she is doing exactly that. Allowing publicity photographs in her working clothes. That's what that kit is to her. It's work wear. She is not responsible for how it is viewed by men. She's an intelligent woman and knows how many (not all, I must say in fairness) men will see it. She is not to blame. She may smile for the camera, but inside, I would be pretty sure she's not happy about the effect that she knows some photographs will have on those who see them.

I have never looked at any photoshoots of Victoria Pendleton in lads five knuckle shuffle-mags so can't comment on those photos that you allege, but if she has done "Glamour" photography then she did so as a private citizen. She was not representing British athletes at the time. If men can't understand that then they need to undergo fantasy / rationalisation therapy.

The bottom line here, is that this is an issue of respect. These women are human beings and they are entitled to that respect. I think you don't understand what a sensitive issue this is for many, many women. Too many men think it's all a big joke, but it isn't when it is you on the receiving end of it.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:11 am

Jen, you do realise women do the exact same thing with the men athletes?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:21 am

Crimey wrote:Jen, you do realise women do the exact same thing with the men athletes?

That's not the issue at hand here, Crimey. As I see it, the title of the thread is Jessica Ennis and I'm responding to it as a female who has a point to make on the topic.

A little thread drift and attempting to divert the issue going on here, perhaps...? .... Hmmm..? <smiles and winks at Crimey>

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:23 am

I think it's a valid point Jen, bot sexes do it. Do women not respect men for doing it?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:26 am

Jennifer1984 wrote:
Crimey wrote:Jen, you do realise women do the exact same thing with the men athletes?

That's not the issue at hand here, Crimey. As I see it, the title of the thread is Jessica Ennis and I'm responding to it as a female who has a point to make on the topic.

A little thread drift and attempting to divert the issue going on here, perhaps...? .... Hmmm..? <smiles and winks at Crimey>

This thread is asking a mature question as to whether Jessica Ennis gets more coverage because she is attractive.

You've turned it into sex-bashing. I was just pointing out that your points can be turned on their head for women, so it's not a male problem, it's just a people problem. Some people need to look beyond attractiveness whether they are male or female.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:27 am

I think people are missing the point of my article.

I wasnt complementing Jessica or saying its great. I was actually pointing the finger at the press and was asking the question of would her athletic ability have been so widely reported if she had been ugly?

Or are the press as Jennifer described - drooling schoolkids?

EDIT - Crimey beat me to it!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:29 am

Judging by the coverage of the BBC so far, i do believe that Ennis would get the same coverage. The BBC have focused on many favourites to win medals, be they attractive or not.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:34 am

The BBC coverage would almost certainly be non biased, members of the gutter press (Sun, Mirror, etc) I'm not sure about.

On a positive note fantastic race from Ennis this morning.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:52 am

Jennifer1984 wrote:She should be judged on her performances and that alone.

Why does the sight of a woman in a running suit reduce men to dribbling idiots..? It's her uniform, for goodness sake not a garment of sexual allure.

Do you think women don't know you're looking at them and squirming in your underpants...? What are you trying to see..? A bit of nipple poking through the vest, eh..? A little cameltoe, perhaps..? Phwooarrr, exciting, eh, boys..? Rolling Eyes

That sort of thing is to be expected of adolescent boys having a little flick through the pages of their mum's Freeman's catalogue in the quiet of their bedroom, but don't you think you should grow out of that at some point in life..?

I'm sure Jess Ennis knows men are drooling over her and I wouldn't be at all surprised if she thinks you're a bunch of sad muppets, which is pretty much what most women think of men like that. She won't say so, of course. She' more intent on winning an Olympic medal.

Here's a tip, men: When women are racing, try watching the race. It won't give you a hard on, but you might just be surprised to find how good women are at sport.

Sorry Jennifer1984 but you really need to lighten up somewhat OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Aug 2012, 12:39 pm

Jennifer1984 wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Come Jenifer some of these atheletes are happily complicit in this.Ennis is quite happy to be the poster girl of British sports ( even if shes been described as "fat"), and Victoria Pendleton has done a number of "glamour" shoots without her uniform or anything else on.

I've played a lot of sport and I've been in a lot of women's changing rooms and I've yet to ever hear any female sportsperson who thought the calls of "Get 'em out for the lads" or "show us yer knickers darlin' " is remotely attractive.

When Jess Ennis poses for photographs in her sports kit, she is doing exactly that. Allowing publicity photographs in her working clothes. That's what that kit is to her. It's work wear. She is not responsible for how it is viewed by men. She's an intelligent woman and knows how many (not all, I must say in fairness) men will see it. She is not to blame. She may smile for the camera, but inside, I would be pretty sure she's not happy about the effect that she knows some photographs will have on those who see them.

I have never looked at any photoshoots of Victoria Pendleton in lads five knuckle shuffle-mags so can't comment on those photos that you allege, but if she has done "Glamour" photography then she did so as a private citizen. She was not representing British athletes at the time. If men can't understand that then they need to undergo fantasy / rationalisation therapy.

The bottom line here, is that this is an issue of respect. These women are human beings and they are entitled to that respect. I think you don't understand what a sensitive issue this is for many, many women. Too many men think it's all a big joke, but it isn't when it is you on the receiving end of it.

I fully respect her, I also find her attractive.
Whilst i agree that the behaviour you describe is unseemly and ungentlemanly it doesnt change that men like attractive women for quite natural and healthy reasons, and that many female athletes actively choose to portray themselves as attractive.
Its not a criticism of anyone, its reality.

Is it impossible to be sexy and successful?

As pointed out by others theres plenty of it going round the other way, remember Linford Christies lunchbox? Its not considered OK for male presenters to comment on the attractiveness of female athletes but its fine for female ones to talk about men being pin ups and having hordes of adoring female fans. That of course in itself could be construed as doing a disservice to female sports fans pandering to the stereotype that they only follow sport because they fancy men. Whioch quite often is true, again because its quite normal and healthy for women to find men attractive (or in some cases women, I can tell you from experience theres plenty of women out there who also letch on the female athletes).

As someone whos involved in female sports myself I completely agree theres a degree of appropriateness and respect that needs to be maintained toward anyone regardless of their atheletic ability or sex. That doesnt mean its wrong to find people attractive, so long as its not the ladies gymnastics.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:04 pm

Jennifer, women do the same thing to men, from my experience, and as well as partners I have a lot of close female friends and have lived with 5 separate female housemates. They will comment on the attractiveness of male sportsmen. Magazines like Cosmo and grazia, widely read by the female population, do exactly the same as male ones like FHM regarding male celebrities including sportsmen, take Beckham for example. Sportswoman in my experience, and most of my friends take part in competitive sport, do not actively mind comments about their attractiveness within the realms of propriety. I feel you are representing your personal views but extending them to all women in a way that is not a valid representation of their views. Jessica Ennis is only partially famous for her looks, she is also an excellent athlete, see her Hurdles today. But any good-looking talented sportsperson, male or female, is always going to get more attention than an average or ugly talented sportsperson- look at Tom Daley, or David Beckham, or Dan Carter and the underwear adverts they do. It's human nature. Also her looks and talent are both marketable features and she can choose to Market both as she wishes.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 03 Aug 2012, 1:59 pm

Hardcore male feminists do my head in. Who are they trying to impress?

Ennis wouldn't get the media/sponsorship that she gets if she wasn't so attractive, but she would still get huge coverage.

A lot of our other world/olympic champs are not model looking, but once you win, you get the big build up.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Aug 2012, 2:34 pm

You wont see the lass currently contesting the "fat women in a dressing gown wrestling semi final" getting her bum out in GQ

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:06 pm

What about Tom Daley? I'm fairly sure a lot of women and teenage girls drool over him. Shouldn't they respect him as Daley is a human being and entitled to respect.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:24 pm

Jennifer wrote - Here's a tip, men: When women are racing, try watching the race. It won't give you a hard on, but you might just be surprised to find how good women are at sport.

OK then...Here's a tip for women watching Keanu Reeves movies...try watching the film. It won't get you all moist but you might realise just what a sh*te actor he is.

You can also substitute "Reeves Movies" for "Robbie Williams Songs" I don't care, just stop screaming like an idiot when he's on stage. He's a middle overweight mimer with delusions of grandeur and the fact women will behave in such a ridiculous manner whenever he's around makes them no less cretinous than the men allegedly drooling over female athletes.

Thanks for you time.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:30 pm

I've been in a lot of women's changing rooms

So have I and I still haven't been caught.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:30 pm

That's because you look like a girl

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:32 pm

... apart from the raging hard on.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:33 pm

Before this thread spirals out of control, can we please get back on topic

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:36 pm

Oh....cos I was gonna mention Jamila Kratochvilova

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Oh....cos I was gonna mention Jamila Kratochvilova

Oooops I made the mistake of googling that thing...

Is Jessica Ennis even that attractive? I don't get it..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:45 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Oh....cos I was gonna mention Jamila Kratochvilova

Oooops I made the mistake of googling that thing...

Is Jessica Ennis even that attractive? I don't get it..

She's attractive for an athlete I think, surrounded by the likes of Jamila Kratochvilova she becomes more attractive than if you were to see her in another environment.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:46 pm

Jabba the Hut would appear attractive next to Jamila

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:48 pm

Duty281 wrote:

What about Tom Daley? I'm fairly sure a lot of women and teenage girls drool over him. Shouldn't they respect him as Daley is a human being and entitled to respect.

And a few seedy old men I suspect.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 03 Aug 2012, 3:53 pm

Adam D wrote:Obviously Jessica is an incredibly talented lady, however, do you think that she would be getting the kind of coverage that she does, if she wasn't attractive?

Whenever you open a paper, she is always the one who is pictured, yet stands no more realistic chance of a gold than some of our other athletes. So is it purely down to her being a looker?

I seem to recall in previous Olympics Sally Gunnell got plenty of coverage, despite her not exactly being a "looker", as did Kelly Holmes. Going back further, so did Fatima Whitbread.

The likes of Christine Ohurogu (spelling?), Paula Radcliffe and Rebecca Adlington have also had their share of the limelight, despite being less than stunning.

On the flip side, other attractive female athletes have had plenty of attention (Denise Lewis, Beth Tweddle...any others you can think of).

I think first and foremost it comes down to their chances of success. If they're perceived as big medal hopefuls, then they get more attention.

I think you may be getting confused with the fact that Jess Ennis was chosen as Team GB's "poster girl" for London 2012, so she's had to do more press conferences than most of our athletes.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 03 Aug 2012, 4:10 pm

Don't really find her attractive to be honest. But shes fantastic sportswoman and all our hopefuls are getting their fair share so i'd be reasonably confident of saying it wouldn't change at all. Gutter press not included.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 03 Aug 2012, 5:37 pm

Personally I wouldn't have any less respect for her if she wasn't as attractive, but I can understand the question, especially when we consider the kind of media that has been bigging her up.

The Daily Mail has had both Ennis and Victoria Pendleton's photo shoots added to almost every online article about those athletes both before and during the Olympics, where as they have had hardly anything on Rebecca Adlington, or Katherine Grainger for example, who were both arguably stronger gold medal hopes.

I have watched a lot of these Olympics, and can't say that I would have enjoyed the women's sport any more or less depending on the attractiveness of the participants

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Aug 2012, 6:31 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
Adam D wrote:Obviously Jessica is an incredibly talented lady, however, do you think that she would be getting the kind of coverage that she does, if she wasn't attractive?

I seem to recall in previous Olympics Sally Gunnell got plenty of coverage, despite her not exactly being a "looker", as did Kelly Holmes. Going back further, so did Fatima Whitbread.

The likes of Christine Ohurogu (spelling?), Paula Radcliffe and Rebecca Adlington have also had their share of the limelight, despite being less than stunning.

On the flip side, other attractive female athletes have had plenty of attention (Denise Lewis, Beth Tweddle...any others you can think of).

I think first and foremost it comes down to their chances of success. If they're perceived as big medal hopefuls, then they get more attention.

I think you may be getting confused with the fact that Jess Ennis was chosen as Team GB's "poster girl" for London 2012, so she's had to do more press conferences than most of our athletes.

How many people had heard of Addlington before she became a double olympic gold medalist? Same with Even then it took insults from a comedian to get her really famous. Jessica Ennis has the leading face of marketing for womens sports in the build up to the Olympics with a grand total of zero Olympic medals to her name, and this began before she won her world title. Ohurogu was only briefly famous after winning her gold, shes certainly not the centre of media attention (although her history probably doesnt help there) and most people couldnt spell or pronounce her name. Radcliffes status took a long time to build, and comes from years being the biggest name in her sport. Kelly Holmes again was only briefly genuinely famous, and that was as a double olympic gold medalist in an era where they were extremely rare for any British sports people.
This isnt just a case of the media choosing to focus on her, its the UK Athletics choosing to use her as their poster girl. As the face of British sport Ennis is an aspirational figure, and part of that is having a nice bum. Its nothing to be ashamed of, it takes attention away from her nose.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 03 Aug 2012, 7:59 pm

i think she gets more becuase of her looks, she's a fantatsic athlete so would have got some anyway. but perhaps she might not have been the face of london olympics if she didnt have the lot

look at anna kournikova and how much publicity she got even though she was pretty rubbish. jess is no where in the same league as ak, as she deserves alot of praise for being a top athlete in the most difficult of events but she's on pretty much everything, not seen addlington face plasterted around everywhere

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sat 04 Aug 2012, 1:55 am

I actually don't think she's all that looks wise. I prefered Denise Lewis but then both have that lumpy six pack which is a bit of a turn off.

On a less important note I think she'll win the Gold. Mainly because the other's aren't exactly rising to the occassion so Ennis will win narrowly with a lowish score and a nervous display but should do enough.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 2:00 am

Really? She looks set to break the 7000 to me...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 2:00 am

Well, maybe
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 8:36 am

Someone above wrote that Beth Tweddle is attractive. She looks like Zara Phillips should be riding her in the Dressage

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Sat 04 Aug 2012, 8:50 am

Yes, by default, because she's not that attractive.

Katarina Johnson-Thompson was stood next to her last night after the 200m and is prettier, should she get more coverage? Of course not. It's all on merit.

Jennifer1984, I agree with you. Burn the bra's, girl power and all that.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:46 am

Marky just wants to see some bounce.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 1:00 pm

Personally i didnt know who she was- therefore this fame from being pretty over good hasnt found me!!

I am watching her closley now because she is leading and a great prospect for gold!.

TBH didnt even know she was fit at all. I am actually surprised at how unknown she is considering she is A. fit and B. a world class athlete

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 1:36 pm

By the way!! Watching her in the Javalin and I am noticing how fit she is. She is pretty spicey and my kinda type

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 5:31 pm

You know I really wanted to say something horrible to you for being such a prude..

except I actually agree with you Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 5:33 pm

Jenny my girlfriend keeps commenting on the size of mens lunchboxes!!

its not just us men. Thanks very much!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat 04 Aug 2012, 9:14 pm

Ennis or Middleton?

Or both.

If you had to.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 04 Aug 2012, 9:18 pm

Ennis is tight- in her prime- gotta be her

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down