The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality?

+14
socal1976
lydian
laverfan
banbrotam
The Special Juan
sirfredperry
Calder106
Josiah Maiestas
User 774433
JuliusHMarx
Haddie-nuff
CaledonianCraig
VTR
hawkeye
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality?

Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality? - Page 2 Vote_lcap38%Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 3 ]
Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality? - Page 2 Vote_lcap62%Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 62% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 8

Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality? - Page 2 Empty Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality?

Post by hawkeye Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:44 am

First topic message reminder :

Since Andy's gold medal win 606v2 has been gripped by a sense of excitement. Is it perhaps a little over excitement fuelled by years of anticipation for Andy to get a win in a slam? Here are a few of the things that have been claimed.

That the Olympics are the equivalent to a slam.

That in the future Andy may be retrospectively awarded a slam (not by winning one but in recognition of his Olympics medal).

That Andy was playing at a higher level during the Olympics than Federer has ever played.

That Andy is more talented than Federer, Nadal and Djokovic but just had a mental block that stopped him winning. The Olympic win has now unblocked it...

That this Olympic win will enable Andy to now become a multi slam winning all time great (I'm half expecting someone to claim that this Olympic win MAKES Andy a multi slam winning all time great. Sadly although some have hinted at this I haven't yet been able to capture a direct quote stating this. I've not quite given up hope completelty and am still watching with anticipation...)

Does all this prove that the tennis section on 606v2 has lost touch with reality? Or do these extreme examples not reflect the majority view and are just making the rest of the 606v2 members (including more realistic Murray fans)look unhinged?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality?

Post by lydian Wed 08 Aug 2012, 7:53 pm

Indeed socal...you would have to go some distance to become Nole's Tenez, besides which I take it you havent been banned from 5-6 tennis forums anyway leaving you with no other choice than to join a desert island tennis forum...

Good to see you back too, we disagree sometimes...but thats all to the good. I even disagree with BB as well (I know you two get on famously...haha) but I see alot of his posts as tongue in cheek...half serious, half "pushing it". No harm in that as long as we dont take things too seriously.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has The Tennis Section In 606v2 Lost Touch With Reality?

Post by socal1976 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:23 pm

Yes, there does seem to be a better balance and a bit of the poison does seem to be drained out of the site with a certain element being taken out or chosing to leave. The level of acrimony here is better than in some forums I have peaked in on, probably better than most. I like good humor as much as the next man and controversial opinions as well so I certainly don't want to neuter the site. But there is a certain level of aggression that is a bit overboard and can poison the atmosphere.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:07 pm

Well who do you like Juan? Hope you like the site we like having you.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:10 pm

socal1976 wrote:This site broke with reality a long time ago when it was flooded by a certain player's fans who generally act like they are the ones who have 17 grandslams championships and act the online bully boys.

It is worth re-iterating for the benefit of all posters that on-line bullying is against the forum rules and both Mods and Admins would appreciate it if it gets reported. However, posts rarely get reported, so we generally have no idea if some posters think others are bullies.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:14 pm

No julius it isn't anything I want to report anyone it is a general mob mentality they did it to Amiritia wheh she was here it was a lot worse. Some have tried to have a go at me but I could care less but it doesn't mean there isn't a general pack attack mentality with some fed fans. Fortunately, as both me and lydian have noted a lot of those guys are gone and only a few diehard, dead enders in the immortal words of comic genius Don Rumsfeld left.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:23 pm

Thanks. I'm a Murray fan (I live about an hour from Dunblane) but I like a couple of other players too. I don't dislike anyone either which is a good thing.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:31 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Thanks. I'm a Murray fan (I live about an hour from Dunblane) but I like a couple of other players too. I don't dislike anyone either which is a good thing.

Join the club. thumbsup
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:36 pm

socal1976 wrote:.....and only a few diehard, dead enders...

Are those the "regressed cromagnons" "moronic posters" and "jock sniffers" and are those examples of a "certain level of aggression that is a bit overboard and can poison the atmosphere"? (Just kidding) Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:53 pm

I've been a tennis fan for about 10 years (on and off) but never really visited the tennis section here for some reason. I've not lost touch with reality yet!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 11:49 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
socal1976 wrote:.....and only a few diehard, dead enders...

Are those the "regressed cromagnons" "moronic posters" and "jock sniffers" and are those examples of a "certain level of aggression that is a bit overboard and can poison the atmosphere"? (Just kidding) Smile

Yes when whole threads are done over and over and over again by certain posters to attack you and your positions through distortion a fair amount of justified retalation should be expected. I am not the turn the other cheek type of poster.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu 09 Aug 2012, 3:45 pm

It seems you've read between quite a few lines in order to claim that those things were claimed. They would all make interesting thread titles though. The tennis section is no more or less in touch with reality than it was before the olympics as I don't see anyone whose views have changed.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:40 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:It Must Be Love pretty much says it all above, the only thing I could possibly add is....

Zzzzzzzzz.....
Run

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:43 pm

socal1976 wrote:This site has lost touch with reality a long time ago when we had people in here talking about how Nadal is really a top 100 player who only won because of slowed conditions and 90 percent of the federophiles in here would ba like sheep and agree with idiotic statements like that. Now it is even worse according to the fed kool aid drinkers Roger federer has never had a cupcake draw and certainly didn't have one in the olympics, lol! Enjoy that silver cupcake Roggie I mean medal.

I will say some of the murray talk about him being more talented than other big 4 members and how he will dominate from now on out is over enthusiastic. But I actually think most murray fans are pretty well grounded. Generally, in tennis forums the player who just won the last major trophy is treated and talked about like he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So i think it is natural the murray fans would be getting a little drunk on the wine of success in the early days after.

The break from reality that I have a problem with is the ongoing dementia of SOME federophiles on this site whose brainless counterintuitive arguments are assented and those that oppose them attacked in unison. You know the people who claim that Nadal wins because he takes an extra 3 seconds scratching himself between points and because of slowed conditions and not his talent. And then the same delusional poster will put on his cape as quote "the defender against those that would denigrate player's accomplishments" when you point out the obvious fact that Roddick, Ferrero, Hewitt, and Safin aren't as good as Murray, Nadal, and Djoko.

This site broke with reality a long time ago when it was flooded by a certain player's fans who generally act like they are the ones who have 17 grandslams championships and act the online bully boys. Comparing a few over exuberant comments about Murray to the decade long yahweh worship of federer I would posit that Murray fans compared to some other fans have been ok. But I do agree with the OP a few comments have been over optimistic lets say.
Socal I believe the site has much more balance now thumbsup
I agree about the 'gang mentality' thing, but for me that was in the past- I haven't really seen that much evidence of it these days.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:42 pm

federer may be a silver cupcake but atleast he has a Gold from one of the games. Unlike No-clue-vak. chin
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:47 pm

I had a gold cupcake, but I ate it. On reflection, it might have been toffee, rather than gold. Or lemon. Actually, it might have been a muffin...

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:55 pm

I actually think as a colour silver is nicer than gold.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:57 pm

I had a bronze cup cake and I messed it up to pieces but I don't regret coz cup cakes can only be silver and not possible in bronze and hence theorem proved.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Aug 2012, 6:15 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:I had a bronze cup cake and I messed it up to pieces but I don't regret coz cup cakes can only be silver and not possible in bronze and hence theorem proved.

Was this it?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24335087@N02/2790847665/

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:11 pm

Stan's doubles partner should enjoy the silver cupcake he was given.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:20 pm

Should they have given him this on a ribbon?
http://www.thejewelhut.co.uk/pandora-14ct-gold-&-silver-cupcake-bead.html

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:23 pm

I hate cupcakes, you never get a cup with them.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:25 pm

Yes you do - a little paper cup - that has a little cake in it. What more could you ask for? Cherries on top?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:28 pm

lydian wrote:I hate cupcakes, you never get a cup with them.

Lydian how can a man hate cupcakes that is like saying you don't like sunshine and a day at the beach. Part of the reason I am so angry is that my favorite player doesn't get as many cupcakes fed to him as Nadal and Federer.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:34 pm

To be fair I like the taste of them...but cupcakes really should be served in a cup surely?
Djoko doesnt want cupcakes anyway now he's gluten free Wink
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:37 pm

yes touche lydian, lol! I guess the gluten screws him again. Damn you gluten.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:42 pm

lydian wrote:To be fair I like the taste of them...but cupcakes really should be served in a cup surely?

How many times - it's a paper cup! As in 'Words are flowing down like endless rain into...."

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 09 Aug 2012, 8:40 pm

djokovic did not qualify for a cupcake.

only top 3 get those. thumbsup

Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 09 Aug 2012, 9:24 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
lydian wrote:To be fair I like the taste of them...but cupcakes really should be served in a cup surely?

How many times - it's a paper cup! As in 'Words are flowing down like endless rain into...."
Thanks for that JHM Rolling Eyes
Always wondered what the things were given my wife has run a cupcake business for 4 years...I'm sure you'll know the origins of cupcakes...Amelia Simmons, 1796. We never stick to origins...hurt profits margins you know.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 09 Aug 2012, 9:52 pm

lydian wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Thanks for that JHM Rolling Eyes
Always wondered what the things were given my wife has run a cupcake business for 4 years...I'm sure you'll know the origins of cupcakes...Amelia Simmons, 1796. We never stick to origins...hurt profits margins you know.

I know a bit about Gene Simmons 1976

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:11 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:djokovic did not qualify for a cupcake.

only top 3 get those. thumbsup

Top 3 do u mean Fed, Murray and Del Potro? Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2