The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury's next opponent?

+14
compelling and rich
Knowsit17
Seanusarrilius
88Chris05
AlexHuckerby
BoxingFan88
JabMachineMK2
azania
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
bellchees
LeinsterFan4life
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Rowley
aja424
18 posters

Go down

Fury's next opponent? Empty Fury's next opponent?

Post by aja424 Mon 13 Aug - 9:52

Inside info from the Tyson Fury team says that they are looking at Mormeck as a potential next opponent,with Toney also putting his name forward.
Also that they will not fight one of the Klitschko brothers until they are the mandatory challenger due to the pitiful offer othered otherwise.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Fury's next opponent? Empty Re: Fury's next opponent?

Post by Rowley Mon 13 Aug - 18:16

Toney is pointless, is fat and past it. Mormeck is an odd one because he is not an opponent that particularly gets me excited but on the grounds he was an opponent for one of the brothers not so long ago would seem churlish to object to a prospect like Fury facing him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 13 Aug - 18:33

alma wrote:Mormeck is a reasonable choice. Toney would bring good PR, but that's about it, apart from maybe a temporary boost to the UK's fast food industry.

Agree about Toney, if he is coming over Macdonalds might not want to be too hasty about tearing down that massive one they built in the Olympic park

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 13 Aug - 19:28

rowley wrote:
alma wrote:Mormeck is a reasonable choice. Toney would bring good PR, but that's about it, apart from maybe a temporary boost to the UK's fast food industry.

Agree about Toney, if he is coming over Macdonalds might not want to be too hasty about tearing down that massive one they built in the Olympic park

hahaha, brilliant Jeff Smile
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 13 Aug - 22:28

Has fury decided who he is representing yet?i know he was debating wheather to represent ireland or england.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 13 Aug - 22:32

I think Toney represents the bigger challenge. Mormeck is right up there with Audley for the worst person to challenge for the heavyweight title.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 13 Aug - 22:33

Tbh I think both are useless fights for fury and should be easy wins for Tyson. Neither are natural heavyweights, both over 40, both fight like they are over 40, have no power and stand at less than 6ft meaning Tyson can clinch them whenever they get close

Mormeck never deserved the klitschko fight and his resume at HW is short and poor, I think he lost to maddalone also

Toney's best days were at 168, now he pushes 240. Hes a fat bum who gets big fights using his mouth. Got dominated by lebedev 120-108 on 3 scorecards and lebedev is a poor boxer

Tyson LKO on both fights, maybe toney is tough enough to last the distance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 13 Aug - 22:35

Toney is a step down. The guy is living off his name and mouth. Even Audley would represent a step up than Toney.

Mormeck is the pick for Fury. Good name, world title challenger and Tysonesque (the real Tyson) as Wlad described him. Plus he is very beatable.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 13 Aug - 22:36

He'll get 12 rounds from Toney most likely but they wont be competitive rounds for the most part. Mormeck gets blasted out before half way.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 13 Aug - 22:38

I think Mormeck would be a good shout to Wladimir that he's ready, depending on his approach.

Also, sorry I've not been around for a few weeks - been seeing a lot of the Olympics Smile

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 14 Aug - 0:47

The Toney fight will be like the Maddalone fight with Fury landing clean after clean punch on a shakey legged fat useless has been until the ref takes pity and ends it.

The Mormeck fight might actually have Fury taking a few testing shot. If Fury is wreckless and abandons his defence (ala: Firtha) he could very much end up on his rear again. But would expect him to finish the job around the half way point.

I think Fury should go for Pulev or Helenius next if he is serious about being a top contender.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 14 Aug - 0:58

Adamek, Chagaev, dimitrenko, chambers, Thompson, helenius are the types of opponents he should be looking at. Real heavyweights who aren't actually that good but arent past it and are the types of opponents you would expect a champion to be able to beat rather comfortably

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 14 Aug - 3:57

Toney was terrible against Lebedev, Mormeck won't be much better but I think its the better option.

Didn't Fury say he was going to be beating better competition than David Price? Doh

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 14 Aug - 23:06

Honestly Toney is only better than Maddalone due to his experience at the moment, he could barely throw a punch and keep balanced in his last fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 14 Aug - 23:14

If it is, indeed, a straight shoot out between Mormeck and Toney, then it has to be the Frenchman, who at least vaguely resembles a Heavyweight boxer rather than an embarrassingly fat Super-Middleweight one. Fury will win either fight with the minimum of fuss and trouble, but the smart move would be towards Mormeck; Toney is likely to make him look bad even if he scores a shut out. Mormeck, on the other hand, is likely to open up a little more and meet Fury head on, resulting in the emphatic knockout victory Fury needs to keep the fire around his name burning.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 14 Aug - 23:29

Can't get excited about either. Toney is punch drunk and done. Mormek was god awful in every comeback fight before Wlad and worse v Wlad. Neither teach Fury anything. Rather see him in with Audley

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 15 Aug - 2:07

Mormeck is a shot blown-up cruiserweight, Wlad having to scrape him off the bottom of the barrel doesn't make him a credible opponent.

The only thing fighting a worn out Toney would prove is that Fury isn't afraid of fat old men. Although to Toney's credit he did roll back the years with a stunning display against that fearsome ball of lard Bobby Gunn in his last outing picard

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 15 Aug - 2:55

a shot blown up cruiser weight is better than a shot blown up super middle weight, thats about all i can say for either being a good option

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Fury's next opponent? Empty Fury's next opponent

Post by Kelvinj3 Wed 15 Aug - 5:02

Haye.

Why not, Hayes last fight was against a guy Fury has beaten, and this will sell just as well as the last Haye outing. I'm sure Warren could sort out any obstacles like he did before. This would sell out a good size venue nO doubt.

Kelvinj3

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 15 Aug - 5:04

Kelvinj3 wrote:Haye.

Why not, Hayes last fight was against a guy Fury has beaten, and this will sell just as well as the last Haye outing. I'm sure Warren could sort out any obstacles like he did before. This would sell out a good size venue nO doubt.

theres no way he's going to fight haye, he avoided price so why would he fight haye the british number 1. fury is easy to hit and haye hits hard wouldnt last very long at all. would be a massive step up for him

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 15 Aug - 7:01

he wouldnt touch haye. and by that i mean mick H wouldnt let him touch him.

even c5 were saying he needed his next opponent to be a step up in class. mick is useless.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 15 Aug - 7:55

OasisBFC wrote:he wouldnt touch haye. and by that i mean mick H wouldnt let him touch him.

even c5 were saying he needed his next opponent to be a step up in class. mick is useless.

This is step up, or at least that is what they are going to tell us, I can imagine along the lines

"Mormeck is coming of a loss to the #1 heavyweight in the world after a spirited showing clarifying his position as a fringe world level fighter"

"Future hall of famer James Toney is one of the great veterans of the game who has never been stopped in over 80 fights and has built into the heavyweight division after starting at 168"

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Aug - 16:33

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:

"Future hall of famer James Toney is one of the great veterans of the game who has never been stopped in over 80 fights and has built into the heavyweight division after starting at 168"

In all fairness has more of a ring to it than "James Toney is a fat lump of lard who was a half decent fighter when your parents were growing up whose greatest claim to fame in the last ten years is finishing a KFC family feast bucket in under 10 minutes"

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 15 Aug - 17:36

Because while Fury beat an out of shape Chisora, Haye destroyed an in shape, motivated Chisora. Fury was dropped by a slow, light punching heavy a few fights ago can you imagine what someone with Hayes speed and power would do.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 15 Aug - 18:16

alma wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:I think Mormeck would be a good shout to Wladimir that he's ready, depending on his approach.

Also, sorry I've not been around for a few weeks - been seeing a lot of the Olympics Smile

boxing?

Alas, no. Just watching a lot of it live.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Aug - 18:24

No doubt Alma but not sure it should be a criteria Hennessy should be applying when looking for an opponent, if it was I would have a chance of getting the call.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 15 Aug - 18:40

Why not.

Because it wouldn't be a guaranteed win for Fury, basically, which is very much the name of the game for him and Hennessey right now. Any defeat right now - and make no mistake, a defeat would be exactly what would happen if he faced Haye - would see his dreams of a world title fight, preferably for the vacant WBC belt once Vitali retires, go up in smoke.

I think we can expect a few more Mormeck and Toney sort of fights for a while yet.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Aug - 18:40

alma wrote:
hampo171 wrote:

Because while Fury beat an out of shape Chisora, Haye destroyed an in shape, motivated Chisora. Fury was dropped by a slow, light punching heavy a few fights ago can you imagine what someone with Hayes speed and power would do.

To be fair, Fury was out of shape when he beat Chisora too. Plus Del Boy didn't look much better when he fought Haye.

Having said that, Haye would batter Fury

When is Fury IN shape? Don't think that's a valid comparison really. Would still like to see Chisora-Price. Fury should be fighting fringe world level fighters now, Chambers Arreola Mitchell etc - raise his US profile a bit.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Aug - 18:50

Yes, but still, 'less fat' is different to 'in shape'. Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 15 Aug - 18:56

As usual with Fury though, he called out the winner of Chisora Haye, now he's backing away from those claims. His promoter promises a high quality fight, then unveils a cabbie from Ireland, way past his best.

I don't know what to expect. As Tophat said - I'd like to see him in with fringe world level fighters, but I'm not convinced this will happen for a long time yet.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Aug - 19:08

My own view is Hennessy is loath to pitch Fury in with the fringe world class guys because if he beats them and lets face it, it is not beyond the realms of possibility there is nowhere really for him to go apart from a world title. If, as appears likely Vitali retires this may be not work out too bad, but what happens if Vitali sticks around or Wlad starts to like the idea of having a full set of belts and starts pushing him for a unification fight. Am not too sure either of those options are ones Mick would look forward to with any alacrity.

Far better to suck up the criticism and wait until it is certain both brothers are long gone from the game seems to be the perspective.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 15 Aug - 20:18

I would like to see Fury switch promoters, maybe a US outfit or something.

I just can't stand looking at that fat useless disgusting piece of trash Mick Hennessy.

I still can't get over the face the only coverage he could get for Carl Froch vs Jermain Taylor was an internet stream. The guy is a promotional train wreck. Fury should get out of his sight when the TV deal is finished.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 15 Aug - 20:36

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I just can't stand looking at that fat useless disgusting piece of trash Mick Hennessy.

Not a fan then, Reborn?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 15 Aug - 21:08

haha,

Believe it or not, I am actually in a great mood today.

But the thought of Mick standing giving an interview after a Fury fight with his short sleeve chequered shirt covered in sweat in amongst a gang of other fat gypos isn't the image I want on this glorious day Smile
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 15 Aug - 21:12

alma wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I would like to see Fury switch promoters, maybe a US outfit or something.

I just can't stand looking at that fat useless disgusting piece of trash Mick Hennessy.

I still can't get over the face the only coverage he could get for Carl Froch vs Jermain Taylor was an internet stream. The guy is a promotional train wreck. Fury should get out of his sight when the TV deal is finished.

I watched it on ITV

Your never watched it live on ITV. They had a re-run of it about a week later.

It was live on Omnisport.tv.

Inexcusable from the fat turd
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 15 Aug - 21:16

What good is it having ITV show it that long after it when it was on Youtube within hours.

Its crazy considering how many people saw Froch WIN the belt in that classic with Pascal on ITV4 that a defence couldnt be aired live. Whatever the financial side may have been, surely less was made putting it on that website at £10 PPV.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Aug - 21:32

It was on the day after the fight, still pretty bad form but lets not exaggerate and start saying it was on weeks later.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Aug - 21:54

alma wrote:
rowley wrote:It was on the day after the fight, still pretty bad form but lets not exaggerate and start saying it was on weeks later.

Yeah it was, I just didn't want to start an argument

I don't care, i'm rock and roll. I can also ban people if I start losing the argument, it is very liberating.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 15 Aug - 22:46

I didn't say "weeks" later. I thought it was a week, apologies.

But still no excuse.

Anyway, whats with the nit pickin'?? The point is hes one of the weakest promotors in the country. Lets not fool ourselves by saying he got boxing back on terristrial telly. Fact is, the fights have been so woeful that as soon as a major fight was mouthed (Fury vs Price) Hessenssy and co done a runner.

Real free telly boxing is when you think of Calzaghe, Khan, Eubank, Naz, Benn all on ITV etc.

Fury vs Maddellone/Rogan/Firtha etc is pi55 poor for casual fans who the majority of people who I know that don't follow boxing seem to think its funny when Fury fights which I agree with. How can he be taken seriously when his promotor is just as much of a joke.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Aug - 22:52

In my defence reborn, if you take nit picking and an unnecessary and frequently inappropriate use of big words off me it does not leave me too much to do on here. However I do tend to agree with you on Hennessy don’t know what it is with the guy but he is pretty bad. The frustrating thing is he seems to want to do things right, up until Fury tended to match his guys tough and always went after proper belts in the right order but seemingly cannot buy a TV date for love nor money even Froch was on the kind of run of opponents most British fighters will never match, puzzling really.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down