The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Seeds announced

+17
prostaff85
sirfredperry
Born Slippy
Mad for Chelsea
Danny_1982
dummy_half
Henman Bill
lydian
The Special Juan
reckoner
Josiah Maiestas
hawkeye
slashermcguirk
barrystar
HM Murdock
mangamuri
laverfan
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

US Open Seeds announced - Page 4 Empty US Open Seeds announced

Post by laverfan Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

At The USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center

New York

Aug. 27-Sept. 9

Men

1. Roger Federer, Switzerland

2. Novak Djokovic, Serbia

3. Andy Murray, Great Britain

4. David Ferrer, Spain

5. Jo-Wilfred Tsonga, France

6. Tomas Berdych, Czech Republic

7. Juan Martin del Potro, Argentina

8. Janko Tipsarevic, Serbia

9. John Isner, United States

10. Juan Monaco, Argentina

11. Nicolas Almagro, Spain

12. Marin Cilic, Croatia

13. Richard Gasquet, France

14. Alexandr Dolgopolov, Ukraine

15. Milos Raonic, Canada

16. Gilles Simon, France

17. Kei Nishikori, Japan

18. Stanislas Wawrinka, Switzerland

19. Philipp Kohlschreiber, Germany

20. Andy Roddick, United States

21. Tommy Haas, Germany

22. Florian Mayer, Germany

23. Mardy Fish, United States

24. Marcel Granollers, Spain

25. Fernando Verdasco, Spain

26. Andreas Seppi, Italy

27. Sam Querrey, United States

28. Mikhail Youzhny, Russia

29. Viktor Troicki, Serbia

30. Feliciano Lopez, Spain

31. Julien Benneteau, France

32. Jeremy Chardy, France

http://www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/19855998/us-open-seeds

laverfan

Back to top Go down

US Open Seeds announced - Page 4 Empty Re: US Open Seeds announced

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 Aug 2012, 5:37 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Nadal lost early (might have been injured too?), Djokovic looked out of sorts, Murray played well but doesn't have another gear in Slams like the Top 3.

Overall I still believe that Federer's level atm is as high as it was during 2010 and 2011, I don't think there's a huge difference in the quality of his play.
Sorry, but Djokovic was cruising until he hit Federer. Not out of sorts at all, until a reason had to be found for losing.

Nadal had just won a Slam so has to be considered in prime form. He lost indoors to an inspired opponent.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 24 Aug 2012, 6:11 pm

bogbrush wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Nadal lost early (might have been injured too?), Djokovic looked out of sorts, Murray played well but doesn't have another gear in Slams like the Top 3.

Overall I still believe that Federer's level atm is as high as it was during 2010 and 2011, I don't think there's a huge difference in the quality of his play.
Sorry, but Djokovic was cruising until he hit Federer. Not out of sorts at all, until a reason had to be found for losing.

Nadal had just won a Slam so has to be considered in prime form. He lost indoors to an inspired opponent.
Nadal and Djokovic never lose before the final when 100% condition. Keep that in mind man!!!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Aug 2012, 7:20 pm

Djokovic looking out of sorts is a strange one, IMBL. Did he not beat Federer in SF at RG 2012 in straight sets? chin

If a player is inconsistent, so be it. Also, after Olympics against Del Potro, he came back and won Toronto. A double chin.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 Aug 2012, 7:45 pm

Out of sorts really is a laughable reach.

I can handle claims of injury etc. but this is so meaningless and vague it begs to be treated with contempt.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 24 Aug 2012, 8:42 pm

bogbrush wrote:
I can handle claims of injury etc. but this is so meaningless and vague it begs to be treated with contempt.
lol I am awaiting a call from your lawyer.

No seriously Djokovic, in the big moments has been really poor. So many unforced errors against Fed in that SF- he was breaking down so easily. No doubt Federer played well, especially on serve, but as Tenez said on ja606 Djokovic look well below par- disinterested almost.
There were reports afterwards that he had a flu but I don't think this explains it. He hinted in an interview that he is having family problems- but did not actually reveal what had happened.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 24 Aug 2012, 8:51 pm

Just seen the stats for the Wimbledon semi-final.
Having watched the match I felt unforced errors cost Djokovic the match- and the stats show this.
Winners were practically even- Federer hit 30 compared to 28 of Djokovic.
However unforced errors Djokovic hit double of Federer!

We can compare this to the US Open final of 2007, where Djokovic made 40 UEs to Federers 35.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Aug 2012, 9:56 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Just seen the stats for the Wimbledon semi-final.
Having watched the match I felt unforced errors cost Djokovic the match- and the stats show this.
Winners were practically even- Federer hit 30 compared to 28 of Djokovic.
However unforced errors Djokovic hit double of Federer!

We can compare this to the US Open final of 2007, where Djokovic made 40 UEs to Federers 35.

Comparing HC to Grass may not be appropriate and 2007 vs 2012 is also problematic (Remember Djokovic played very well in 2011 compared to 2007).

W 2012
Djokovic v Federer
Winners 28 31
Unforced errors 21 10

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/stats/day19/1601ms.html

W 2011
Djokovic v Nadal
Winners 27 21
Unforced Errors 12 15

http://2011.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/stats/day21/1701ms.html

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 24 Aug 2012, 10:28 pm

At the FO Nadal and Djokovic had just played what was described at the time as the most important slam final in over 40 years. Djokovic had the chance to hold all 4 slams at the same time and Nadal was in danger not only of losing 4 slam finals in a row but his claim to be the ruler of clay. If Djokovic had won some said he would surpass both Federer and Nadal in terms of greatness. If Nadal had lost he would have been in a very difficult position to say the least. The match that unfolded over two days must have been emotionally exhausting for both players. It always tough to come from the FO to Wimbledon. But for both it must have been particularly tough to come into such an important tournament so soon after having such a career defining match.

I was still like many surprised that Nadal went out so early at Wimbledon but at the time I wasn't aware of his physical problems. Many journalists and a few other players were aware of his struggles prior to his match with Rosol. Nadal himself had alluded to his low expectations in interviews so to many his loss wouldn't have been as unexpected.

Would Federer have beaten Djokovic in different circumstances? Who knows for sure but IMO Federer would have if it was solely down to tennis skills. Djokovic is great on hard court and clay but all things being even no match for Federer on grass. But if Djokovic was coming off a win in Paris that may have balanced things out.

Would Federer have beaten Nadal coming off a FO win if he was fully fit at Wimbledon in a final? Much as I like Federer I just can't see that happening.

Of course this is just speculation and Federer has got the Wimbledon trophy safely in his grasp. But I don't see his Wimbledon win as "proof" that anything has changed in the long term. If Federer meets Djokovic at the AO it will be tough. If he meets Nadal it will be very tough indeed...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 Aug 2012, 10:43 pm

Ah the contortions endured by Rafalitos to protect ther man!

Nadal wins the French against the #1 but is judged impaired for Wimbledon. Unlikely.

Djokovic strolls through Wimbledon but, under pressure from Federer, loses. However we must judge his errors as proof he is 'out of sorts'. Perhaps he just felt the pressure of a high tempo, assertive match by the best attacking player of the period?

Or maybe Nadal and Djokovic have been lucky to face an 'out of sorts' or injured Federer whenever they beat him? Ooh er......
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 24 Aug 2012, 10:58 pm

Why does everyone try so desperately hard to justify the defeats their favourite player suffers? Injured... Mentally tired... Not bothered about the tournament...

Nobody is invincible. Sometimes the other guy will play better.

Nadal was moving absolutely fine against Rosol. His opponent just had a dream day. Stop finding excuses.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:42 pm

Danny are you talking to Hawkeye or me?

I watched the match live on centre court and I didn't notice Nadal being hindered. I did notice Rosol was smashing everything on the line.

Ferrer did say at the time that Nadal had the injury during Wimbledon, dunno whether he is a reliable source or not.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:28 pm

Good draw for Djokovic, bad for Murray. But draws only mean so much, and Murray could still win it.

Djokovic's draw does some damage to Socal's argument/implication that draws are being fixed against him, however it doesn't really affect the 2 major conspiracy theoeries previously discussed, as pointed out by Laverfan.

I do think Federer was a little lucky at Wimbledon with the rain at the roof closing, it anything Murray had the edge before then.

I do think this is a strong era, as was perhaps Gonzalez/Laver/Rosewall era and Mcenroe/Borg/Connors era. Don't see any problem in calling it golden.

Hope everyone's doing alright. Haven't been posting all that much but still reading articles at least when I can.

Last edited by Henman Bill on Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : minor grammar fix)

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4