The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Andy Receive A Knighthood For Winning A Gold Medal?

+9
Calder106
laverfan
djlovesyou
bogbrush
barrystar
lydian
reckoner
Josiah Maiestas
hawkeye
13 posters

Go down

Should Andy Be Knighted?

Should Andy Receive A Knighthood For Winning A Gold Medal? Vote_lcap11%Should Andy Receive A Knighthood For Winning A Gold Medal? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
Should Andy Receive A Knighthood For Winning A Gold Medal? Vote_lcap89%Should Andy Receive A Knighthood For Winning A Gold Medal? Vote_rcap 89% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 9

Should Andy Receive A Knighthood For Winning A Gold Medal? Empty Should Andy Receive A Knighthood For Winning A Gold Medal?

Post by hawkeye Wed 22 Aug 2012, 8:24 am

Winning an Olympic medal is usually rewarded with an honour. A reward for dedication, hard work and services to the country. Andy won a shiny GOLD medal for us so should he receive a knighthood as a reward? If so it could change the dynamics at the top of tennis. He would not need a slam if Roger, Rafa and Nole all have to call him "Sir". Also if he receives a knighthood for winning an Olympic gold what should the Queen bestow on him for winning Shanghai in 2011?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/keep-the-flame-alive/9490887/Graham-Taylor-says-British-medallists-to-miss-out-on-honours.html

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Should Andy Receive A Knighthood For Winning A Gold Medal? Empty Re: Should Andy Receive A Knighthood For Winning A Gold Medal?

Post by Guest Wed 22 Aug 2012, 8:36 am

picard

Back to top Go down

Should Andy Receive A Knighthood For Winning A Gold Medal? Empty Re: Should Andy Receive A Knighthood For Winning A Gold Medal?

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:21 am

Should Foie Gras Be Made Illegal Worldwide?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:24 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Should Foie Gras Be Made Illegal Worldwide?

certainly not!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:32 am

hawkeye has been made to rethink the importance behind the Olympic Gold now that Andy has joined Rafa. OK

Last edited by Josiah Maiestas on Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:35 am

What's more Andy beat the GOAT to get that medal, Nadal beat some nobody, so Andy's medal is bigger and shinier.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 22 Aug 2012, 11:38 am

Henman got an OBE for his career...Murray will get something from the Queen no doubt.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 22 Aug 2012, 11:52 am

lydian wrote:Henman got an OBE for his career...Murray will get something from the Queen no doubt.

Poor old Henman was embarrassed by a leak first reported in the Sunday Times but widely re-reported indicating that his name was added to the list "to add interest" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/atptour/2370718/Henman-in-hurry-to-get-back-to-work.html.

I agree that Murray will be offered something at some stage. I always prefer it if young sportsmen/women in the middle of their careers don't receive honours. To my mind the only honours that count whilst competing are those earned in the sport and a British player looks burdened with an honour - especially if they are ever alongside more successful opponent. Potential recipients are notified in advance and if I were him and an honour were suggested I'd say, "that's fantastic, I'd be very honoured to be made a(n) [name of honour] but I will not accept one whilst I'm still playing".
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 22 Aug 2012, 1:44 pm

Can't disagree with any of that Barry OK
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 22 Aug 2012, 2:19 pm

Totally agree, barry. I think an honour is deserved in this case - he's certain to get aleast an OBE one would think.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 22 Aug 2012, 3:10 pm

He got his honour.

And none of them on any Gold deals "for us", I can assure you that in their minds they won it for themselves. And quite rightly too.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 22 Aug 2012, 3:21 pm

He'll get an MBE in the New Year list along with most of the other gold medal winners.

That seems to be the usual pattern these days when it comes to Olympic medals.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 22 Aug 2012, 5:51 pm

HE... do you remember this...

When everyone knows a certain player will be resting at home (no doubt polishing their very own shiny gold Olympic medal)

https://www.606v2.com/t32759p100-not-good-news-for-olympics#1407381

Now Murray can polish his very own OG. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 22 Aug 2012, 6:04 pm

Yes of course he can and isn't it looking extra shiny just as I predicted?

https://www.606v2.com/t33033-how-shiny-is-the-gold-medal-now

But laverfan you haven't answered the question. Do you think Andy should be knighted? Should Roger, Rafa, Nole and everyone else have to call him "Sir"? This is actually a serious question as it is an honour that some have received for winning a gold medal.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 22 Aug 2012, 6:24 pm

I can't remember any Olympian being given a knighthood (or damehood) for simply winning one gold medal.

Redgrave had 5, Pincent 4 and Hoy 4 before they were knighted. Kelly Holmes did a historic double and it was the end of a long career for her too.

Andy Murray is not going to be knighted for winning this gold, nobody has suggested he should be and nobody is going to have to call him Sir (not that they would anyway).

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 22 Aug 2012, 6:38 pm

HE... will you accept DJ's post as my response too. Wink Murray will probably receive honours for his service to British Tennis.

DJ... Sebastian Coe also received an MBE, KBE and OBE, IIRC.

PS: Please see BarryStar's comments as well.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Wed 22 Aug 2012, 6:51 pm

No way he will receive a knighthood. Any that come from this years Olympians (correctly) will be between Bradley Wiggins, Ben Ainslie and Mo Farah.

As above he will probably get a deserved MBE and would have win at least one slam to get any honour further up the tree.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 22 Aug 2012, 8:30 pm

picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:08 pm

The key question for me is:

If Hawkeye was never allowed to write anything that directly or indirectly said either "everything is rubbish without Rafa" or "Murray is the reincarnation of Hitler".... Would we ever see her written word again?

I think not.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:28 pm

Hawkeye you've got to stop with this.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:39 pm

IMBL - Surely by now you realise that is as unrealistic a request as you could possibly ask?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:53 pm

djlovesyou wrote:

Andy Murray is not going to be knighted for winning this gold, nobody has suggested he should be and nobody is going to have to call him Sir (not that they would anyway).

Well to be fair there is a lot of discussion at the moment about what honours to dish out and to who. Apparently for political purposes it pays to cash in quite quickly to make the most of the general public euphoria at so many team GB medals. Dishing out honours is a way of capturing the feeling that the medals have been won for us....

But anyway I do agree that a knighthood might not be on the cards. It was funny to think of other players being required to call Murray "Sir". I have a feeling that Federer and Nadal would have gone along with it and maybe even included a little bow but then used it as an incentive to make sure he was kept in his place on a tennis court and giggled about it afterwoods. But Djokovic would have hated it and been so incensed that he wouldn't be capable of getting a single ball in court when they played. He would probably have to retire early as he would destroy all his raquets. He would get revenge though because once he becomes King of Serbia (it is only a matter of time) he will be able to give himself multiple honours...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:54 pm

laverfan wrote:HE... will you accept DJ's post as my response too. Wink Murray will probably receive honours for his service to British Tennis.

DJ... Sebastian Coe also received an MBE, KBE and OBE, IIRC.

PS: Please see BarryStar's comments as well.

Hmmm... I always thought that it was Steve Ovett that should have been knighted... He was the better athlete IMO.

laverfan. Of course I accept your response and of course DJ's.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:59 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Hawkeye you've got to stop with this.

Why? You do understand that there is much speculation at the moment about what honours should be dished out to particular medalists. Do you disapprove of the honours system, the speculation or just the idea of athletes being knighted?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:03 pm

Do you disapprove of the honours system, the premature speculation or just the idea of athletes being knighted?

Ya welcome.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:08 pm

hawkeye wrote: It was funny to think of other players being required to call Murray "Sir". I have a feeling that Federer and Nadal would have gone along with it and maybe even included a little bow but then used it as an incentive to make sure he was kept in his place on a tennis court and giggled about it afterwoods. But Djokovic would have hated it and been so incensed that he wouldn't be capable of getting a single ball in court when they played. He would probably have to retire early as he would destroy all his raquets. He would get revenge though because once he becomes King of Serbia (it is only a matter of time) he will be able to give himself multiple honours...

Laugh quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on here.

Good grief.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:35 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Do you disapprove of the honours system, the premature speculation or just the idea of athletes being knighted?

Ya welcome.

This is unfair and a bit below the belt, JM. Crying or Very sad (Have edited your original).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:53 pm

You're killing me with these edits laverguy Sad I was called a bell-end in another section of this forum a few days ago, I got on with it. OK
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Aug 2012, 11:25 pm

I prefer a nightcap to a knighthood.

RedWine

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 23 Aug 2012, 8:38 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:You're killing me with these edits laverguy Sad I was called a bell-end in another section of this forum a few days ago, I got on with it. OK

There are plenty of forums filled with inane personal insults. 606v2 is an oasis compared with some. Do you really think it adds anything to a discussion to attempt to side track it by throwing in naughty words and insults?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 23 Aug 2012, 8:43 am

Danny_1982 wrote:
hawkeye wrote: It was funny to think of other players being required to call Murray "Sir". I have a feeling that Federer and Nadal would have gone along with it and maybe even included a little bow but then used it as an incentive to make sure he was kept in his place on a tennis court and giggled about it afterwoods. But Djokovic would have hated it and been so incensed that he wouldn't be capable of getting a single ball in court when they played. He would probably have to retire early as he would destroy all his raquets. He would get revenge though because once he becomes King of Serbia (it is only a matter of time) he will be able to give himself multiple honours...

Laugh quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on here.

Good grief.

Danny_1982

If you think I got a little carried away with my visualization have a look at this

https://www.606v2.com/t34004-novak-practices-a-little-therapeutic-carpentry

Life can at the very least be as strange as fiction...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Fri 24 Aug 2012, 12:46 am

Murray was a handful of points away from having the same number of gold medals as Mo, playing alongside Dame Laura Robson in the doubles.

I have to agree though with the though that sports people should only be honoured or at least knighted once their career is finished.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down