The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nonu re-signs with the NZRFU after turning down NRL approaches

+5
dallym
Pot Hale
emack2
Geordie
chewed_mintie
9 posters

Go down

Nonu re-signs with the NZRFU after turning down NRL approaches Empty Nonu re-signs with the NZRFU after turning down NRL approaches

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:23 pm

Never even knew he was in the market again!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10828890

this represents to me a good signing for NZ and Nonu. He gets another season in the relatively weak Japanese comp where he can earn a few bob then come back to the Blues - not sure Kirwan, Henry and co will be completely over the moon but Ted is certainly one for getting the best out of Ma'a. His record with NZ also speaks for itself, he's developed into the best inside centre in the world by being able to not only add facets of play to his game, but master them as well.

Turned down approaches from NRL clubs including the Bulldogs, Dragons and Titans. Would have been interesting seeing him line up in the NRL against SBW that's for sure.....I guess we'll never know now

I guess this will be his last big contract in NZ?

Last edited by chewed_mintie on Thu 23 Aug 2012, 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : due to popular demand)

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Nonu re-signs with the NZRFU after turning down NRL approaches Empty Re: Nonu re-signs with the NZRFU after turning down NRL approaches

Post by Geordie Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:31 pm

Ha ha...maybe change that title to re-signs...i thought blooming heck Nonu has quit the Kiwis...haha

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Nonu re-signs with the NZRFU after turning down NRL approaches Empty Re: Nonu re-signs with the NZRFU after turning down NRL approaches

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:37 pm

never judge an article by its title!!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:01 pm

The Japanese option seems to be the way to go,relatively easy games for cash,then back for Super rugby and AllBlacks.Not perfect but far better than losing key players to the NH where they no longer qualify for the AB`s.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:24 pm

Nonu has quit the NZRU?

Not surprising really.

Never rated him anyway. He only got into the team cos of his hair.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Thu 23 Aug 2012, 5:07 am

good to see him stay. a superb player who will continue to provide great service to the ABs and New Zealand Rugby

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 23 Aug 2012, 5:25 am

re-signs and resigns is a bit ambiguous isnt it.

The Japan thing is a bit poor. Apparently he offered nothing over there and will need another break sometime during the sxv next year...

Kirwan and Ted will be scratching heads over that one...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 23 Aug 2012, 6:18 am

Must say it got my eye, I think Mintie's in marketing or sales.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 23 Aug 2012, 12:22 pm

I think the solution to Nonu coming back from Japan is to make him turn up to the games and training sessions but don't even put him on the bench for the first two months. Have him champ at the bit and then unleash him for the second half of the comp.

It's a big coup for the ABs. The Blues won't be thrilled but I think he can be managed more effectively than this year. With SBW gone, there is not a lot of cover for 12. We need to address this in the AI tour. Nonu will be back to his familiar position with Smith outside him for the rest of the 4N so that will make the backline even more formidable having the ever reliable backline general Smith back.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Thu 23 Aug 2012, 2:52 pm

Only because SBW is off, now he can get the 12 shirt back.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 23 Aug 2012, 2:55 pm

I think he was always going to get it back in the 4N bathmad. He had a rest in the Ireland series because he hadn't had a break from the RWC last year with playing in Japan and Super rugby.

SBW would've made the bench a lot more exciting than it looks at the moment.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down