The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nonu to Ospreys

+14
geoff998rugby
Luckless Pedestrian
debaters1
DaDubs1
Loki
Breadvan
Gunner
bedfordwelsh
Standulstermen
Shifty
Ozzy3213
BATH_BTGOG
red_stag
polotechnics
18 posters

Go down

Nonu to Ospreys Empty Nonu to Ospreys

Post by polotechnics Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:45 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/06/14/ospreys-linked-with-move-for-ma-a-nonu-as-phillips-exit-confirmed-91466-28871317/

THE controversial departure of Mike Phillips from the Ospreys could pave the way for them to table a bid for New Zealand star Ma’a Nonu.

All Blacks centre ace Nonu has told Wales’ flagship region to come and get him following his acrimonious split from the Wellington-based Super 15 outfit Hurricanes.

His availability could spark interest from rugby bosses at the Liberty Stadium as the Ospreys come to terms with the exit of star names Phillips, James Hook, Gavin Henson, Lee Byrne, Jerry Collins, Marty Holah and Craig Mitchell.

They are competing for floating spectators with Premier League football club Swansea City and a major signing might ease concerns among supporters about the future prospects of the Ospreys.

The departure of Phillips and company from the pay-roll at the Ospreys means they have drastically cut their wage-bill with new signings Kahn Fotuali’i, the Samoa and Crusaders Super 15 scrum-half, former Samoa captain George Stowers from London Irish and ex-Dragons forward Joe Bearman coming much cheaper.

And it could free up the money for them to consider entering the race to sign Nonu and his out-of-contract Hurricanes team-mate Cory Jane, the tricky New Zealand international who can play full-back or wing, or both.

Nonu has reacted to being axed by Hurricanes’ coach Mark Hammett by admitting he is considering turning his back on New Zealand rugby.

“I’m probably going to go overseas now,” declared the block-busting 29-year-old inside-centre.

“This has made me more likely to leave the country.

“I’ve stayed at the Hurricanes long enough and tried my best, so why wouldn’t I want to go overseas?”

Nonu refused to discuss the reasons why Hammett didn’t want him any more.

“I’ve done everything I could for this team and I’ve always tried my best but the reality of it now is that I’ve been sacked,” he said.

“I thought it wouldn’t happen but it’s done now and I need to get over it quickly.”

Bayonne turned to Phillips after ex-New Zealand Test scrum-half Byron Kelleher opted instead to leave Toulouse for Paris club Stade Francais.

Wealthy Bayonne vice-président Alain Afflelou has reportedly financed the signings of Phillips, Rokocoko, All Black’ back-row forward Sione Lauaki and his fellow New Zealand international, prop Neemia Tialata, France wing Cedric Heymans and Australia lock forward Mark Chisholm.

Phillips didn’t start a match for the Ospreys after they crashed out of the Heineken Cup at London Irish five months ago and was subsequently placed on the transfer list.

His last start was for Wales against the Barbarians earlier this month and the national management were stunned by the failure of the Ospreys to utilise him.

Wales coach Warren Gatland was also perplexed by the willingness of the Ospreys to allow the under-contract Byrne and Phillips to leave for clubs outside of Wales when the region’s coaching head honcho Scott Johnson had been urging the WRU to do more to keep players at home.

But it’s understood none of the Ospreys’ Welsh rivals – the Blues, Dragons or Scarlets – made formal bids for Phillips.

Fiji-born Rokocoko, who has scored 46 tries in 66 Tests for the All Blacks, and Phillips will link up with Bayonne, which is located close to the border with Spain, following this year’s World Cup.

Phillips was Lions’ coach Ian McGeechan’s player of the tour when they came so close to toppling South Africa two years ago and his confrontational style could be made for the physical and intense nature of the French Championship.

He is in urgent need of game time after being named in Wales’ preliminary World Cup squad of 45.

Does this have any validity? Or is it classic western mail?

I for one hope this isn't true. As an Osprey and Wales fan we need to keep our centre births free of non welsh qualified players.

We're already struggling for centres.

polotechnics

Back to top Go down

Nonu to Ospreys Empty Re: Nonu to Ospreys

Post by red_stag Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:49 am

Bring him to Munster. We'll pay him anything he wants!!!
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:49 am

Can't see it myself, he'll go to France or Munster
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:52 am

I suspect he will go to France to be honest, and Montpellier have already showed an interest in him I believe. Could be a good move for him as they are a real up and coming club.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:53 am

Leinster's "easy" group would have got that much harder if thats the case Pete. Especially with Bath having a very good 1st XV
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:05 am

it will certainly make things a bit more interesting Stag. I would love to see him at Montpellier, would be good for them as they seek to maintain their growth.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:12 am

I would only for the fact I want him at Munster!!
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:16 am

He wont come to the Ospreys.
Firstly we dont need a wing / centre. we are DESPERATE for a Openside flanker.

We already have Sonny Parker, Andrew Bishop, Gareth Owen and Ashley Beck competing in the centre. Tomy bowe can also cover outside centre.

While we have Tommy Bowe, Richard Fussell, Kristian Phillips, Nikki Walker, Shane Williams, Tom Prydie and Hanno Dirksen competing for 2 wingers spots.

We might not even need a full back depending on Prydies recovery as he could cover Full back with Fussell, Ross Jones and Barrie Davies.

The priority is an Openside flanker, because Steve Tandy has joined Brigend Ravens as head coach, and our only other openside is Justin Tipuric and he's just had a shock call up to the Wales training squad, so if we lose him we wont have an openside next season. Thats the only signing we need to make to be honest.

Ma’a Nonu will probably goto Japan to be honest. that's where the money is.

Last edited by AlynDavies on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:23 am

Munster really need to get this guy. They would be very very useful in the backline if they get him. I hear Zac Guildford and Israel Dagg are looking away from the Crusaders aswell as a result of all the seismic activity but i suspect they are just looking at another NZ region

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:31 am

Good 12s are like hens teeth. As Stand says Munster need him.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:40 am

Munster need him?! They're not the only ones! Like you say Stag, good 12s are like rocking horse poop. I struggle to think of a really world class 12 in the UK and Ireland at the moment. We just don't seem to be developing them for some reason.

In Wales, Roberts may be seen as such 'on his day', but he hasn't had one of his 'days' since the Lions tour! It's the reason we're prepared to risk everything on the out of practice, unpopular and potentially divisive Gavin Henson at the world cup: between 4 regions we simply have not produced anyone good enough to play well at 12 at international level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:41 am

Griff

Luke Marshalll.... the hype machine roles on

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:05 am

I've not a problem with any of the Regions signing one or two top class NWQ players because its a merketing/bums on seats ploy but also our youngsters can learn from them.

What does grate me is the rubbish that has come over in recent season

Nutbrown, Caslte, Lee etc etc
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:13 am

Agreed why not buy 2 quality signings instead of 4 average ones
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:26 am

Ma'a should be a good buy wherever he goes. Be it NH or SH.
Generally injury free.
Good on both wet and dry tracks.
Getting better with age.
Some fans give him flak for not being a good set up man or likely to give away penalties or cards but i'm not sure where the get that from.
Ma'as main problem is it takes him about 3 months to recover from the inactivity of the off season!

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

I'd love to see him at the Liberty. It is the western fail mind...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:41 am

Thought he's signing for the cheifs.

The Ospreys need a center, fullback and flanker.

AllynDavies - I think Bearman can cover 7 if we need him to.

Oh and we won't be seeing Prydie for some time sadly!

Loki

Back to top Go down

Post by DaDubs1 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:43 am

Don't go to Munster! Blood our young irish players for fecksake. Barnes looks like quite a talent but has been nowhere near the set up due to Tipoki, Tuitupo, JDV etc. Blood them and let them turn into potentially great players!! It only takes a year or so. You're centre partnership and whole backline played better when you finally fielded your two irish players, barnes and jones at the end of the season, Albeit Jones could only play at the end of the season.

Convenient Nonu say's he's finished with new Zealand based on personal issues, rather than being forced out by Fruen and SBW or Kahui for the 12 spot in the next few months Smile

DaDubs1

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:49 am

DaDubs1 wrote:Blood our young irish players for fecksake.

Blood who? We don't have centres who are good enough. We've got Murray, Jones, Earls and Barnes into the starting team now all U23 IQ players. We need a Howlett at 14 and Nonu/A.N. Other at 12 though ahead of Mafi.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by DaDubs1 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:15 am

You're right in that fact Stag, but i'd rather we bite the bullet and blood players like Barnes full time to test his potential on the magners league / european stage.

I'd say you'd know a good deal more than me about the Munster set up in terms of player levels i.e. club teams that make up the province and u21 players etc. - If we need Nonu that bad, well, we could do worse! But its just the fact that we've had to fill in our centre slot with oversea's players for a good while now, past three, no four now season's. Either the Munster set up is seriously unlucky in terms of new players, or else we're not blooding new players. That said, the JRWC team has considerably less Irish players in it than usual Shocked

DaDubs1

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

Dubs - Munster didn't blood players for a long time. They are now but there are some positions we simply don't have the people in. At 18 years old JJ Hanarahn is the future at 12 but is IMO 1-2 years off being ready. Kealey, Barnes, Zebo, Earls, Murray, Murray, Williams, Hurley, Murphy are all young Irish backs who have already been exposed to Magners League.

It will work in time.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:42 am

As Stag said, we simply lack a 12, good bad or indifferent. While Mafi finished the season well, he hasnt reached the heights of 2008. Barnes is in with a great shout of being a seriously good 13, I still think that Earls will replace BOD at 13 for Ireland though I may be in the minority there, and Munster have Jones at FB Zebo at 11 and Hurley when fit at 14 (if you want an IQ backline)

Actually Stag, what did you make of that team I suggested on the foreign player limit thread A.K.A. another Anglo-Welsh conflict....

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

What a non-story! Wow, the Ospreys might bid for someone!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:53 am

Provide a link debaters and I'll look.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:00 pm

'Ospreys linked with move for Ma'a Nonu' - yeah, by you, Andy Howell!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:10 pm

Stag, PM'd you.

Yes, luckless, it is a fairly non story but then again, message boards would have tumble weed blowing through them if you removed idle speculation.....

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:25 pm

True enough, debaters! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by DaDubs1 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

Ah ok fair enough. Just want to see some more of Munsters Irish backs. Looks like their starting to churn out some real talent, just suprised there was none coming by at 12 and thought the NIQ players took it up.

DaDubs1

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 4:03 pm

Indeed, Leinster are blessed to have McFadden ready to go if & when D'Arcy needs replacing. Ulster have some centre depth too in Spence & Cave ( I know they are primarily 13's but I think Spence could be a a very good 12)

To be fair to the 7/8 guys who played 12 this season for Munster, while noone was exceptionally good, there were no absolute disasters either, which is a testament to the defesive coaching of Foley and the application by the players. Obviously this would have meant a certain amount of double jobbing by the back row when not in possesion but a Magners league title and one of the best defences in Europe this season isnt a bad effort. Especially in what is seen as a failed season.

I love Munsters' standards.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 14 Jun 2011, 4:09 pm

Ulster have Marshall coming through the ranks as well as Wallace and Whitten - so not for us.

We have far more urgent gaps to plaug than 12, or indeed 13.
The only Irish province interested would be Munster

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 4:22 pm

geoff,

Where do you see Ulster really lacking? be it in depth or appropriate standard? I'll ask the same question to the Leinster & Connacht guys too. Indeed every Rabo Team...

Munster's are fairly obvious, 12 and Prop, (both sides in depth terms) All will do a job, but even with the arrival of Botha, we will not have any really good props. I do hold out hope though that Archer can become something like Ross is for Leinster and he is a better ball carrier too.

Our second rows are aging though, POC, DOC & MOD are well into their 30's and 'young' Ryan aint young anymore. Nagle is young of course.

I think in Munsters' case, the development of the next generation of our backline is way ahead that that of the pack, but there are good guys coming through nonetheless.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 14 Jun 2011, 4:24 pm

Where we are lacking:

Ulster - backrow
Leisnter - second row
Connacht - centre
Munster - centre
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 14 Jun 2011, 4:39 pm

Doesn't Hanrahan play at 10 generally (for UL Bohs & schools)?

UL/Bohs have him listed as an outhalf.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:56 am

Ulster weaknesses are backrow - without Ferris it is no more than ok. We need a 7 and if no Ferris a 6.
Lack cover at TH
Defensively weak at 9,10,12 - although creatively outstanding. However combining that with a backrow without Ferris and you have Ulster's achilles heel.
That is one reason I can see Marshall making a serious claim for a place in the side sooner rather than later.
Also weak at 15 but Payne should fix that

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:18 am

Geoff do you think Payne will play mainly at 15 or will we seem him at 13 too?

There seems to be alot of competition in the centres right now. I actually think Spence has looked excellent at 12 any time I've seen him there and he would certainly make us defensively more solid, with Cave or Payne outside him.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:23 am

I think he will be a 15.

I am convinced D'Arcy will not be in our starting 15.
Cave or Spence at 13 are better players than D'Arcy.

I believe that is Humph/McLaughlin's thinking as well

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:28 am

Fair enough Geoff. I hope that the plan is to continue to help D'arcy develop? I think he has a lot of talent and potential and hopefull he'll still get penty of gametime.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:37 am

Bloody Ulstermen hijacking a thread about the Ospreys... Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:39 am

Luckless, Nonu is the subject of the article. Ospreys are merely the object Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:46 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Bloody Ulstermen hijacking a thread about the Ospreys... Wink

I know we have it down to an art form Yahoo

Basically Nonu - naw we don't need no Nonu Very Happy
Richie McC aw on the other hand thumbsup

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:50 am

Well, as Wally isn't getting any younger Munster signing one R. McCaw would be an adequate replacement I suppose.... Wink

Now beforepeople go off the deep end on this one, we know he just signed another contract and isn't heading to the NH. Chill.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:56 am

He's allowed a playing sabbatical so who knows
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:20 am

Apparentally Graham Henry is trying to negoiate flexible contracts for Nonu to try to keep him in NZ,with a similar one for SBW.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down