The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Haughton drops Jersey for Perpignan

3 posters

Go down

Haughton drops Jersey for Perpignan Empty Haughton drops Jersey for Perpignan

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 29 Aug 2012, 3:50 pm

After only two months at Jersey former Pest and Sarries full back Richard Haughton is off to France to cover for an injury Sofiane Guitoune.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19407091

Shame he could have become a real legend at Jersey, instead he's taking a gamble on a six month deal in the South of France. I suppose the money is far bigger and at 31 he hasn't got many years left.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Haughton drops Jersey for Perpignan Empty Re: Haughton drops Jersey for Perpignan

Post by Bathite Wed 29 Aug 2012, 4:25 pm

Didn't he move to Jersey because his wife's familiy live there? Surely took a big pay cut to make the move. Now, he's lucked out with a chance to get some big dollar for 6 months, with his spot at Jersey remaining wide open for his return?

Sounds like a cracking deal for him to be honest! 6 month deal means he won't have to uproot much either

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Haughton drops Jersey for Perpignan Empty Re: Haughton drops Jersey for Perpignan

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 29 Aug 2012, 4:38 pm

I doubt Jersey will welcome him back again, he has left them just days before their first ever Championship game in order to chase the cash. That's understandable with how short rugby careers are but Jersey will not be so trusting a second time, they seem like a club built on stern foundations and I doubt they'll want someone who is only there until a bigger team make a move. They have a good pack by all accounts and will want to build for the future.

It's a good short term deal for Haughton, I hope he makes a name for himself whilst he's out there though other Championship teams would no doubt be interested when he returned.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 29 Aug 2012, 4:40 pm

Yeah you're right, just guess how he played it with the club.

If he said, 'look it's only a 6 month deal, the cash will set me up to stay on the island for several years, so I can commit to the club long term'. Or, I want one last chance at the big time, can't turn it down, late in my career.

I'd find it hard to argue with the honesty if I was coach, but that's just me!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 29 Aug 2012, 4:41 pm

Sensing your approach is a bit more 'Cockerill' Sam! Haha

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 29 Aug 2012, 4:58 pm

If I was the coach then I'd have understood and said "good luck and enjoy the sunshine" but in six months time if he was back on the market I wouldn't be dropping a contract through his letter box. Jersey are an up and coming side with a big pack there's no point chasing around after an aging winger. If he played in a different position then maybe but Championship level wingers and full backs aren't that rare.

Yeah there might be a bit of the Leicester approach in me but I suppose it's easier to have those old fashioned morales of loving your club etc when it's not your living. Once you have a family and the cold hard facts of finance comes up I suppose you only have the 1 choice.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 29 Aug 2012, 5:25 pm

Yeah I agree with you, just think athletes get a bit more stick than they deserve when chasing a bit of cash. I'm talking about Rugby and Cricket mainly, as it's more real life sums. I mean, who of us would turn down the chance to do our own job in other country for a big pay rise?

Good points on the winger though, hadn't thought about it like that. Plenty of dual registered kids from Prem clubs that could probably match him as well. You're right if it was a tight head or a 9/10, it might be a different story

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 29 Aug 2012, 5:40 pm

Let's be honest you have a choice of clubs - Perpignan or Jersey. Which would you pick? The prestigious Top 14 club in sunny southern France with a significant pay rise or the new Championship club which is best known for being a tax haven?

Haughton has admittedly left Jersey a little in the lurch but as Bathite says being a professional sportsman gives you a limited time to make money before you have to find something else to do.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Aug 2012, 9:23 am

Let's be honest you have a choice of clubs - Perpignan or Jersey. Which would you pick? The prestigious Top 14 club in sunny southern France with a significant pay rise or the new Championship club which is best known for being a tax haven?

Depends on the difference of the wages, length of contract and all the terms and conditions. Clearly in this case the difference in wages is pretty big and there may be some sort of option to stay on should he do well, if not he will be in the shop window at least.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down