The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

+51
RDW
Rugby Fan
Hound of Harrow
tooboredtowork
westisbest
Scrumpy
Mickado
Irish Londoner
Imperialbigdave
BristolDave
B91212
Sam
funnyExiledScot
LeinsterFan4life
stnick88
Francogermanicenglishman
Jenifer McLadyboy
Ozzy3213
Hood83
HammerofThunor
screamingaddabs
thebluesmancometh
SirBurger
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
formerly known as Sam
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Jimpy
aitchw
SGD prop
KickAndChase
George Carlin
Morgannwg
mckay1402
Dim
Big
DaveM
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
Fluxy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Driver
Portnoy
LondonTiger
ChequeredJersey
Bristolian
Cumbrian
TrailApe
Bathite
bluestonevedder
Geordie
55 posters

Page 7 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next

Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 7 Empty Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Geordie Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Manager: Dean Richards
Head Coach: Peter Russell

Current Squad:

Forwards
Props:
Grant Shiels
Oliver Tomasczyk
Keiron Brookes
Scott Wilson

Hookers:
Matt Thompson
Rob Vickers
Scott Lawson

Second Rows:
Carlo Del Fava
Scott MacLeod
Sean Tomes
Frasier McKensie

Back Row
Ally Hogg
Will Welch
Richard Mayhew
Andy Saul
Mark Wilson
Chris York

Backs
SH's
Rory Lawson
Chris Pilgrim
Warren Fury
Mike Blair

Fh's
Joel Hodgson
Waisea Luveniyali
Rory Clegg
Phil Godman

Centres
Jamie Helleur
James Fitzpatrick
Tane Tu'ipulotu
Andrew Higgins
Alex Crocket
Michael Tait
Adam Powell
Danny Barnes - In from Munster

Wing:
Ryan Shortland
Andy Higgins
Suka Hufanga
Noah Cato

FB's:
Tom Catterick
Alex Tait

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:11 am; edited 21 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 7 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by screamingaddabs Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:49 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Screaming

Yeah ive been at the majority of them this season...missed Sundays game though.

We are improving all the time...the back play is getting better. Our pack is getting that tough edge you expect from Deano's sides...and our scrum is very strong..even the best prem sides will find that out.
Our defence is aggresive and organised....
Our lineout is attrocious.

BUT what do you judge it on...some of these teams in the championship are well below the prem standard...
The benefit of being here however is that he is blooding lots of the academy boys like TH Scot Wilson, Back rower Joe Robinson, 17yo winger Kibirige etc etc so these are getting invaluable experience against decent and some very physical sides...

Overall we have improved considerably and continue to do so...and will give all the prem teams a tough game now..but probably a middle of the bottom half of the prem side at the moment.

Thanks for the assessment. Newcastle have always had good young players - hopefully with Deano and an expected return to the top flight they can keep Leicester's hands off them! (I say this as a Leicester fan!)
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 7 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by aitchw Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:41 pm

There's a gulf between Prem and Championship and this season Falcons are the only ones who look likely to be able to bridge it and are way above the rest. Last year's clear winners of the league proper, Bristol, are not as strong with Bedford providing the main opposition to Falcons. By the end of the season I expect Falcons and Bedford to be top of the knockout table with any two of Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol and Pirates making up the numbers but not really in contention.

There's a lot wrong with the Championship structure, the main one being that there's no money in it. With no sponsor, no tv income and mostly grounds lacking facilities it's hard to see it changing. Those clubs that can produce quality players often can't keep them, money again, and clubs that can keep them and build a quality side on little money are rare. As with the Prem so much is dependent on big money owners and with few rewards for Championship clubs they're very difficult to find.

Whilst this situation continues the Championship will struggle to produce more than 1 side in a season that stands any chance of survival in the Prem to the detriment of club rugby as a whole.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:57 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:That comment was firmly tongue in cheek don't worry.

This score is huge, but it's not a surprise as Newport are far from a professional outfit. It is time to make the prem fully prof, regional A sides will do nothing but kill club rugby in Wales!!!

Broken Record
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:59 pm

I don't beleive I have mentioned the issue of A sides before Morg!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:00 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Yeah i dont think Cricket scores like this are really doing anyone any favours...

Maybe the whole format needs a look into...

Perhaps. One day I'd like to see the North Wales Region enter the competition. A couple of ND1 teams in the lower tier usually get big scores put past them by all and sundry too. Perahps the top 6, just like the Premiership, should only be in this competition? That along with Regional A teams and perhaps something similar from Scotland. Glasgow and Edingburgh A, and... Borders?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:26 pm

OK OK for a RGC team entered, maybe even reduce the prem clubs to a top 2/4. I might even go as far as say a south/east/west/north wales select team Morg!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:37 am

I see young winger Zach Kibirige has signed professional terms with us now...nice to see...two senior games, two tries...

He could have a big future in the game...like a few other of our academy lads.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:55 am

Excellent news

We're on sky this week as well. Rugby club feature on us tonight.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Ooh ill watch that

With the likes of Joel Hodgson, Joe Robinson, Scott Wilson etc etc coming through the future is looking bright...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:41 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Ooh ill watch that

With the likes of Joel Hodgson, Joe Robinson, Scott Wilson etc etc coming through the future is looking bright...

Geordie, i haven't seen much of the Falcons over the past couple of months (sadly). How much gametime has Joe R got? Our back-row is pretty damn strong but I'd really like to see him given some genuine gametime.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:34 am

Mate hes getting the odd run out...and looking decent.
But as you say our back row is highly impressive and has depth so he's not gonna be a regular starter at the moment...

As per all the youngsters Deano and Peter Russell are just bringing them through nicely. Giving them a run out in the right games...something i believe Peter Russell was particularly noted for in NZ..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:21 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Mate hes getting the odd run out...and looking decent.
But as you say our back row is highly impressive and has depth so he's not gonna be a regular starter at the moment...

As per all the youngsters Deano and Peter Russell are just bringing them through nicely. Giving them a run out in the right games...something i believe Peter Russell was particularly noted for in NZ..

Ah ok, cheers for the update. Sounds like Deano and Russell are approaching it in a shrewd manner. I think with a player like JR I'm always caught in two minds. Part of me wants them to get gametime at this level but part of me wants them to have to earn the shirt. I think there's real value in that. Ultimately I trust Deano and Russell's judgement not to rush them too early.

Could I ask how the Wilsons have got on as well? (sorry, you've become my go-to guy after missing the last few games!)

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:27 am

Im a huge Mark Wilson fan so i may be biased but he will be pushing for England honours if he keeps improving and playing like he is...he is simnply class. Hes had numerous MOM's scores tries...and is just a class back rower.

Scott is another of the youngsters...and a real powerhouse TH Prop...scrummager first then does a bit in the loose. Hes also getting the odd run out in the right games and has actually looked very good. In fact hes forming a very good partnership with Loosehead James Hallam in the Development Side.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:47 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Im a huge Mark Wilson fan so i may be biased but he will be pushing for England honours if he keeps improving and playing like he is...he is simnply class. Hes had numerous MOM's scores tries...and is just a class back rower.

Scott is another of the youngsters...and a real powerhouse TH Prop...scrummager first then does a bit in the loose. Hes also getting the odd run out in the right games and has actually looked very good. In fact hes forming a very good partnership with Loosehead James Hallam in the Development Side.

Cheers mate. It's interesting how much M Wilson seems to have come on. At first I thought he needed to bulk up a bit but he's a real force of nature. I didn't see him as the player to really step up. Really hope Welch can get back to top form as well, it's a hell of a partnership in the making.

Last I saw of Scott he looked a big anchor of a man, and fine at his principle job, but pretty immobile. I love a destructive scrummager but I thought he'd need more to be a top class Prem player. Modern props seem to need an engine like a flanker, carrying of a lock and the speed of a centre. Not sure we can put Scotty in that category!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:46 pm

How is York getting on for you boys??

Sad

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:48 pm

More tries for young Zach...he's scoring everytime he plays. Great to see.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:19 pm

We've sent Clegg off to Leeds to give you boys a bit more competition. He'll be with them for the rest of the season then becomes free to be signed by anyone.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:44 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:More tries for young Zach...he's scoring everytime he plays. Great to see.

He seems to be coming along well GF. Another brace against one of the better sides in the Championship will do him no harm.

Wilson & Hodgson looked great against Scottish too, although a pretty average performance from the team on a whole. Joel especially looks better every time I see him. For all the hype surrounding George Ford, Hodgson looks to have just as much about him (certainly a better place kicker anyway).

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:46 am

Yeah there is a few nice pluses at the moment Sarge. Im just keeping slightly reserved about the standard of the championship...but i still think we have a good nucleus to work with now.
Did you mean Scott or Mark Wilson?

Yeah I think Hodgson has potential and worth working with...

Yappy
I think Clegg is another evidence of players, like Alex Gray etc who moved too early...getting regular gametime with us to go and sit on the bench for another club. At young ages it is imperative that players get regular gametime...which they will usually get at the falcons...and Deano is continuing that trend...bringing through the new batch nicely.

Clegg could have been very good...but doesnt worry me now as we have quality FH's ourselves.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:43 am

I meant Scott, I remember him beasting the Scottish LH pretty much every scrum.

I'm wondering who Deano will go for in the market? Never has been one for big names.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:12 am

Well Duffey keeps getting mentioned...a big abraisive hooker..but he like Vickers cant throw apparently.

Not sure where else to look at the moment...id continue working with the kids rather than bringing journeymen in.
Joe Robinson, Joel Hodgson, S.Wilson, Kibirige all doing nicely...

But there are others LH James Hallam, Flanker Ben Morris etc who are also getting excellent reviews in their own performances.

Scott Wilson is a big prospect...looks good everytime he plays...but i like how the coaching team is managing the youngsters aswell...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:48 am

Yappy, I think we need a bit more than a young FH before we can cause Falcons any problems but thanks anyway.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Sorry to hear that Altchw, are Leeds not looking likely to be in the the final/semi's this season then? Hopefully Clegg will do well for you guys any way though, he is one of the best passers of the ball around and certainly the best at Quins. We just seemed to knock his confidence and he couldn't get it back, if he can get in to his groove with you guys then he'll be a talent.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:12 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Yeah there is a few nice pluses at the moment Sarge. Im just keeping slightly reserved about the standard of the championship...but i still think we have a good nucleus to work with now.
Did you mean Scott or Mark Wilson?

Yeah I think Hodgson has potential and worth working with...

Yappy
I think Clegg is another evidence of players, like Alex Gray etc who moved too early...getting regular gametime with us to go and sit on the bench for another club. At young ages it is imperative that players get regular gametime...which they will usually get at the falcons...and Deano is continuing that trend...bringing through the new batch nicely.

Clegg could have been very good...but doesnt worry me now as we have quality FH's ourselves.

Totally agree GF, Clegg is probably one of the only players that the Quins management seem to have messed up with, in hindsight he should have rotated far more with Evans and been given a lot more LV and ACC games to start in. They seem to have learnt from that but sadly it's apparently too late for Rory (with Quins anyway). He needs a good run of starts at fly half, if he gets that then I have no doubt that he'll be one of the best 10's in the Championshiop.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:25 pm

We are working with a pretty young group and there's a bit of a lack of continuity to my mind in the starting squad. We're just one of 4/5 likely candidates for the other 2 play off positions as I expect Falcons and Bedford to take the other 2. I'm all for competition for places and Clegg's arrival might give Ford pause for thought. Clegg's playing Sunday but 1 appearance won't tell us much. We're playing Plymouth at Headingley and really it should be a given but performances have been so eratic we could lose by a few or win by a lot. There's still a fair bit of rugby to be played yet but we're a bit adrift from Notts and Bedford let alone Falcons.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:24 am

B&I Cup v Connacht Eagles

1 Jonny Golding
2 Rob Vickers
3 Oliver Tomaszczyk
4 Carlo del Fava
5 Scott MacLeod
6 Mark Wilson
7 Will Welch (c)
8 Richard Mayhew

9 Warren Fury
10 Waisea Luveniyali
11 Andrew Higgins
12 James Fitzpatrick
13 Tane Tu'ipolotu
14 Luke Fielden
15 Tom Catterick

Replacements: 16 Michael Mayhew, 17 Scott Wilson, 18 James Hudson, 19 Chris York, 20 Rory Lawson, 21 Joel Hodgson, 22 Alex Crockett

Captain Welch is back...and this is pretty strong pack. Nice to see Tom Catterick at FB and Fitzy starting.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:19 am

How's Fitzpatrick getting on this season GF?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Ah a bit part player mate. Played in most of the "lesser " and cup games.

I think Deano has decided that for all his unreal physical presence...his actual creative ability isnt good enough...but they're working on him and he is playing games though. See what happens

Tane and Alex Crocket have been 1st choice centres and to be fair they have been excellent.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:48 pm

I've heard Tane and Crockett have been pretty electric, but unfortunately haven't seen any of Falcons' games. It's a shame, because I like to keep an eye out for new players Tigers can poach! Whistle

Shame about Fitzpatrick, but at least creativity can almost be coached. Hopefully time in the Championship will allow him to develop that part of his game.

Nice backrow balance in that squad for Connact too.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Yeah...we have a lot of quality in the back row...and real depth..:Hogg, Tuifua, Welch, Chris York, Richard Mayhew, Mark Wilson (whos immense), Joe Robinson and some coming through the academy...not sure many premiership teams can match that Very Happy

Still need a top class hooker...but the rest is coming along nicely...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:30 am

Falcons win 16-6.

Couldnt make the game...but looks like we messed up a few try opportunities...something Deano has been talking about in recent weeks.

Other than that...another win...and more experience for some of the younger guys...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:39 am

Almost total forward domination, but boatloads of knock ons and a few really wild passes.

It was bone numbingly cold though.

The Connacht lads were up for it and got well stuck in, kudos to them.

The ref though was absolutely abysmal, totally inconsistant - so 'play the ref' didn't work as he kept changing his mind about what he wanted. Of course this was for both sides, so I'm not complaining about the result but more about the game.

And there was no real ale on at KP and the Twin Farms only had Black Sheep and that tasted well dodgy.

Bad Day at Blackrock - freezing cold with a belly full of fizzy beer. Sad
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:46 am

Cheers matey...yeah id heard there was going to be no real ale on...always a bad sign.

I guess not a game for the neutrals..but as i say good experience for the younger lads where things maybe arent going as planned...or the ref is difficult to play.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Pirates on Friday...anyone going?

Anyone going to the Saxons game next week aswell?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Was planning to go to the both of them but just been laid off so no cash to go.

Was looking foward to Welch vs Burguss as well.

Does anyone see us losing any players in the summer to other premiership sides?

London Irish where chasing Mark Wilson last season if i remember rightly?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Ah sorry to hear mate...you got anything in the pipeline?

Yeah Welch v Burguss could be a cracker.

Ill be very surprised if we lose many with the current coaching staff and chairman. We're a different proposition now..and i think the players will stay. The ones who'll go will be because Deano probably doesnt see a future.

Why would you rush away from a coaching set up of Dean Richards, Peter Russell (Very highly rated in NZ), John Wells, Graham Steadman etc...
I think the question is who will come in? We have always attracted top players...Matt Burke, Carl Hayman being two of the more recent stars...and they were under poor management.

I think the summer could be fascinating...

Who of the current squad do you think Deano could ship out?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Few jobs hopefully.

Can see Matt Thompson finally being shown the door now daddy isn't about.

James Goode , Sean Tomas , Ally Hogg (Need to get York playing 8) , Warren Fury and Ryan Shortland.

Need to sign some proven premiership performers.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:35 pm

I hope you get sorted quick mate.

Yeah Thompson and Vickers should go - We badly need to bring in two quality hookers
Fury is appalling
Goode is only on loan so should go.

Hoggs has been excellent this season though...and until York is ready to take that 8 shirt for himself...i wouldnt throw hogg away so quickly.

Tomes is a curious one..id actually keep him around...whilst he's 27 ...he's a big lump and he doesnt half give some oomph in that scrum and the close work. If Wells and Deano can work with him...he could become a good premiership club player and he's played in a good number of the games this season.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Tomas is 27? Thought he was in his 30s?

Dare we draw up the list of potential targets? Very Happy
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Nah hes only 27 so has a bit of time to work with him...

Yes indeed...ill start:

Bismark du Plessis! Very Happy

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:44 pm

I was thinking more like

Joe Duffrey
Marco Sambucceti? (Bristol Lock)
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Laugh

Well we're linked with Duffrey arent we.But im not convinced we're just getting a similar style to Vickers...hes better ball in hand and a big carrier...however just as bad at lineout throwing...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Your right! Bismark is the only choice!
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Settled...right next ...Fly Half...Dan Carter Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Too old!

Aaron Cruden!
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:12 pm

That'll do! Very Happy

On a serious note...im not sure where we really need to be looking to be honest.

Front Row looks sorted.
Second Row - Del Fava, Hudson, Tomes and MacLeod looks useful also
Back Row - Looks strong and in depth...

Half backs - I think SH is an issue...was dissapointed Pilgrim was out for the season..i rate him...but need another good one. FH..Gopperth and Hodgson look sound.

Centres - Maybe could do with another...but again Tane, Alex and Fitzy give a bit of choice. Maybe ditch the other two Samoans...and replace them.

Wings - Options...pace and Kibirige coming through. Shortland as you say could be shipped out.

FB - Dont rate Alex Tait at all...never have. Would like to see Catterick maybe nail that spot or bring in someone...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Think Catterick could nail the 15 shirt next season , Richards likes to maul it and Catterick has a clever boot and will play the field from 15.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Any one know if the BT deal was to include coverage of Championship games? You'd think the guys in charge would want to have that included in any new tv deals right?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:50 pm

Dont know mate...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Interesting bit of speculation, keep networking Peter!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10861137&ref=rss

He's got issues, but I reckon Deano and Russell could sort him out.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next