The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

+51
RDW
Rugby Fan
Hound of Harrow
tooboredtowork
westisbest
Scrumpy
Mickado
Irish Londoner
Imperialbigdave
BristolDave
B91212
Sam
funnyExiledScot
LeinsterFan4life
stnick88
Francogermanicenglishman
Jenifer McLadyboy
Ozzy3213
Hood83
HammerofThunor
screamingaddabs
thebluesmancometh
SirBurger
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
formerly known as Sam
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Jimpy
aitchw
SGD prop
KickAndChase
George Carlin
Morgannwg
mckay1402
Dim
Big
DaveM
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
Fluxy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Driver
Portnoy
LondonTiger
ChequeredJersey
Bristolian
Cumbrian
TrailApe
Bathite
bluestonevedder
Geordie
55 posters

Page 16 of 22 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 16 Empty Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Geordie Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Manager: Dean Richards
Head Coach: Peter Russell

Current Squad:

Forwards
Props:
Grant Shiels
Oliver Tomasczyk
Keiron Brookes
Scott Wilson

Hookers:
Matt Thompson
Rob Vickers
Scott Lawson

Second Rows:
Carlo Del Fava
Scott MacLeod
Sean Tomes
Frasier McKensie

Back Row
Ally Hogg
Will Welch
Richard Mayhew
Andy Saul
Mark Wilson
Chris York

Backs
SH's
Rory Lawson
Chris Pilgrim
Warren Fury
Mike Blair

Fh's
Joel Hodgson
Waisea Luveniyali
Rory Clegg
Phil Godman

Centres
Jamie Helleur
James Fitzpatrick
Tane Tu'ipulotu
Andrew Higgins
Alex Crocket
Michael Tait
Adam Powell
Danny Barnes - In from Munster

Wing:
Ryan Shortland
Andy Higgins
Suka Hufanga
Noah Cato

FB's:
Tom Catterick
Alex Tait

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:11 pm; edited 21 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 16 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue May 07, 2013 3:08 am

I saw the majority of the first half and although Rose wasn't calling up everything he was at least calling the same for both sides. Indeed both sides were doing their level best to cheat like mad on the deck.

What was the final score?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 16 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Bristolian Tue May 07, 2013 3:11 am

The Chumpionship strikes again. Leeds finished 4th, who knows how many points behind Newcastle, having actually won less games than the 5th placed team. Game shouldn't have even been taking place. That said....

Newcastle looked ordinary to poor. Set piece was, barring a couple of mauls from lineouts, poor and the decision making skewed. How many times did Newcastle try to run it from deep instead of just kicking the leather off the ball? The result was they kept getting tackled thus being drawn into rucks where Leeds were clearly 'smarter' and playing the ref better.

For what its worth, I'm sure you'll beat them at your gaff. Hope so anyway, it'll make it harder for Bristol to get promoted next year if Flacons are still around Wink

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Tue May 07, 2013 3:13 am

It'll be even harder if the Falcons are still around.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Tue May 07, 2013 3:13 am

Geordie, you know I have no argument there but that was embarrassing from your guys. Even with a ref getting things wrong you really should have had enough to win. I don't expect Falcons to be as poor next Sunday but there will be some serious nerves going into it. Predicted a Falcons Bedford final and still do. Well done our lads though, they fought for that one.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue May 07, 2013 3:14 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:What was the final score?

Leeds by 5, try from last play of the game.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue May 07, 2013 3:16 am

Cheers marra, it was the most frustrating game I have seen this season. I can't remember a game where I have seen so many handling errors, it was ridiculous. We rarely even threatened their try line.

We can't possibly be any worse next week.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Tue May 07, 2013 3:17 am

Bristolian, it's the points on the table that matter and we have a lot of bonus points to make up for the losses. Bristol had exactly the same opportunities.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Tue May 07, 2013 3:55 am

Aitchw, didn't mean to intimate that Bristol should've been above them, 'specially not after the hiding you gave us up at Headingly. Leeds have shown throughout the season they have some pretty exciting backs so the BPs were a natural result.Was more looking at that particular issue from a Newcastle perspective, emphasising the gulf between 1st and 4th (actually the gulf between 1st and the rest if we're honest).

Tying the BP issue in with my earlier post about Newcastle's' decision-making, given that Leeds have a good backline it was even more baffling why Newcastle would want to open the game up. Neutrals and 'passing' rugby fans may not like it, but most play-off games are tense, grinding affairs dominated by risk-averse forward play, that's how you win those games.

Re Rose, I did think Leeds got away with a bit at the breakdown, but on the flip side he could've really pinged Newcastle out of the game at scrum time, I thought Leeds didn't get the rewards their dominance merited there.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Tue May 07, 2013 4:15 am

I've expressed my opinion on the play offs an many occasions, they aren't right. You've had your share of last minute muggings and I didn't like it then and still don't. If they are to be retained lets make the Prem teams really sweat and have automatic promotion for the top team and play off for a second slot.

This season's gone like a number before for us, struggling to find form and cohesion early on and getting better over the season. Next season's Championship is going to be a very tight affair with clear intentions from Bristol plus Welsh, Leeds, Bedford and probably Notts with Pirates always looking to develop further and no-one likely to repeat Falcons outstanding performance.

Didn't mean to sound touchy, Bristol always has my respect and generally has my support when not playing Carnegie.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue May 07, 2013 4:18 am

The standard has certainly looked higher than previous years, albeit not from us in that game

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Tue May 07, 2013 4:42 am

Reading my post back I can see it looked like I was trying to make some point about the BPs in relation to Bristol/Leeds so my bad! Agree next season will be tight, certainly expect Bedford, Bristol, Leeds and Pirates to be there or thereabouts. Not sure about Nottingham or Welsh though, their financial troubles seem pretty serious.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Tue May 07, 2013 4:55 am

I wasn't sure myself about Notts and Welsh but if they manage funding I expect them to be in the hunt. Had my fears for Carnegie on the money side after the Back/Key experiment but it would appeaar from public statements from Geech that a plan has been hatched so fingers crossed. Biggest fear is that we'll lose Dom Barrow and Jake Rowan to bigger outfits along with others.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue May 07, 2013 6:06 am

With talk of pilfering Leeds I have to wonder why no ones taken a punt on Joe Ford. He never seemed to have a chance at Saints but he has a massive and accurate boot. A great option for a team in the lower half of the league that need to accumulate ever possible point. Hell Owen Farrell has made an international career out of doing that and his kicking from hand is dodgey.

Imolek seemed to be playing well, with Dickson off to Edinburgh I think Sale will welcome him back ahead of next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue May 07, 2013 6:08 am

Watched the game A/ to have a look at Jimmy Gopperth who is coming to Leinster and B/ to see what Newcastle are like in terms of our B&I cup final on the 17th.

As I understand it, Newcastle will have a 5 day turnaround from a semi next Sunday.

If they win that by more than 5 points they will then have a 2 leg final starting the following Tuesday.

Tough gig. Shocked Do they have the depth to rotate players for 3 games in 15 days?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue May 07, 2013 6:48 am

Falcons have the biggest squad in the championship. Their priority will undoubtedly be the playoffs though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue May 07, 2013 6:49 am

Sorry 3 games in 11 days Shocked

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Tue May 07, 2013 9:45 am

I was impressed with Leeds - they look a balanced side - but was very disappointed with Newcastle. On that, very limited evidence, I'd say Leeds would have more chance of AP survival than Newcastle.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 pm

That was probably our worst performance of the season Dave.

Not taking anything away from Leeds mind...they were at us, hit the rucks like crazies and played some great rugby.

But our handling was utterly appalling...how many dropped balls, how many unforced errors. We MUST improve for Sunday...or we'll suffer the same as Bristol Last year.

I still feel the WHOLE situation is a complete farsical joke...theres no point even playing to win the league...may aswell just play for 1-4 position and just rest players at will...pointless....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed May 08, 2013 12:58 am

"I still feel the WHOLE situation is a complete farsical joke...theres no point even playing to win the league...may aswell just play for 1-4 position and just rest players at will...pointless...."

Maybe thats what Leeds did all season Geordie?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed May 08, 2013 1:15 am

Maybe they did...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Wed May 08, 2013 1:20 am

Victor, there wasn't specific plan to do that. We started the season with a fairly new and inexperienced set players and it has taken most of the season to get them working consistently together and to start to realise some of the potential there is in the group. Falcons played badly but that was in part due to Carnegie competing for everything especially at the breakdown. For once Falcons were rattled by it. They won't suffer the same problem next Sunday I am sure.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed May 08, 2013 9:27 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:That was probably our worst performance of the season Dave.

Not taking anything away from Leeds mind...they were at us, hit the rucks like crazies and played some great rugby.

But our handling was utterly appalling...how many dropped balls, how many unforced errors. We MUST improve for Sunday...or we'll suffer the same as Bristol Last year.

I still feel the WHOLE situation is a complete farsical joke...theres no point even playing to win the league...may aswell just play for 1-4 position and just rest players at will...pointless....

On paper and on the pitch the Newcastle back-line looked desperately ordinary (Adam Powell at 13?). I can't see that pack bullying many AP sides (Scott Wilson is clearly talented, but there's a reason why Quins don't let Sinkler near the first team yet), so I'm a bit puzzled as to what the plan is after a year of building in the Championship?

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed May 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Cant argue with you Dave, we looked very ordinary. Hopefully in the next leg we can show why we have been so dominant in the league this year.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed May 08, 2013 7:24 pm

So Falcons fans...what side do you want to see on Sunday....

1 Shiels / Golding
2 Vickers
3 Tomaz
4 Mcleod
5 Del Fava
6 Mayhew
7 Welch
8 Hogg

9 Pilgrim
10 Gopperth
11 Tait
12 Helleur
13 Tait
14 Shortland
15 Catterick

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 pm

Pretty much go with that GF, I was really disappointed with Powell tbh, he certainly looked well short of Prem class.

We need a massive performance from the lads, the engine room was too lightweight and the scrum was shocking.

Is Tuaifua still around?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:So Falcons fans...what side do you want to see on Sunday....

1 Shiels / Golding
2 Vickers
3 Tomaz
4 Mcleod
5 Del Fava
6 Mayhew
7 Welch
8 Hogg

9 Pilgrim
10 Gopperth
11 Tait
12 Helleur
13 Tait
14 Shortland
15 Catterick

You have two Taits?

Have to make a change at 9. fury was appalling. Slow, he certainly was and then made poor decisions - I remember one quick ball won beyond the 10m line in the Leeds half, so good attacking ball, and he put up an aimless box kick.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed May 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Yes LT, Alex Tait brother of your Matt, and Michael Tait son of former manager Alan.

Fury is appalling....not "was"

We need to bulk the pack up again...it has been powerful and uncompromising all season...but was under the cosh against leeds.

Macleod is probably player of the season, but is lightweight to put in with Hudson. Take Hudson out and put a beast like Del Fav or Tomes.

Tuifua is still around...but too be honest i think we can live with out him. If we need a big ball carrier then we need to look at Ollie Steadman (on the bench) the young lad whos just come from Tynedale. He's looked pretty good in the games he's played.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed May 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Tui is a big game player though GF, I'd love to see him brought in for the return leg.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed May 08, 2013 9:17 pm

aitchw wrote:I've expressed my opinion on the play offs an many occasions, they aren't right. You've had your share of last minute muggings and I didn't like it then and still don't. If they are to be retained lets make the Prem teams really sweat and have automatic promotion for the top team and play off for a second slot. This season's gone like a number before for us, struggling to find form and cohesion early on and getting better over the season. Next season's Championship is going to be a very tight affair with clear intentions from Bristol plus Welsh, Leeds, Bedford and probably Notts with Pirates always looking to develop further and no-one likely to repeat Falcons outstanding performance.

Didn't mean to sound touchy, Bristol always has my respect and generally has my support when not playing Carnegie.

Like that idea.

Probably be more exciting bottom end of premiership to, with an extra side going down.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed May 08, 2013 10:02 pm

westisbest wrote:
aitchw wrote:I've expressed my opinion on the play offs an many occasions, they aren't right. You've had your share of last minute muggings and I didn't like it then and still don't. If they are to be retained lets make the Prem teams really sweat and have automatic promotion for the top team and play off for a second slot. This season's gone like a number before for us, struggling to find form and cohesion early on and getting better over the season. Next season's Championship is going to be a very tight affair with clear intentions from Bristol plus Welsh, Leeds, Bedford and probably Notts with Pirates always looking to develop further and no-one likely to repeat Falcons outstanding performance.

Like that idea.

Probably be more exciting bottom end of premiership to, with an extra side going down.

For me top team promoted as of right.

Then the next two teams who actually qualify for promotion play home and away with the winner hosting the 11th placed AP team in a single winner takes all match-up.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Wed May 08, 2013 10:49 pm

LT, how likely is it that the RFU will ever do what the fans want? A meaningful play off as you propose would be good but it has to be accompanied by proper support for the Championship financially, sponsor, tv rights and income used appropriately, etc. There is no real interest being shown in developing the Championship into a true 2nd tier. Shame because there's huge potential in it.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed May 08, 2013 11:12 pm

aitchw wrote:LT, how likely is it that the RFU will ever do what the fans want? A meaningful play off as you propose would be good but it has to be accompanied by proper support for the Championship financially, sponsor, tv rights and income used appropriately, etc. There is no real interest being shown in developing the Championship into a true 2nd tier. Shame because there's huge potential in it.

Never, and at risk of setting GT of on a rant, PRL are unlikely to countenance reduced funding for their members to help support a proper second tier (Dried frog pills for Mr Greytiger please)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu May 09, 2013 12:10 am

It's not the PRL that is being sued by the body of Championship clubs for denying them the contractually agreed tv and sponsor money.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu May 09, 2013 12:56 am

LondonTiger wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:So Falcons fans...what side do you want to see on Sunday....

1 Shiels / Golding
2 Vickers
3 Tomaz
4 Mcleod
5 Del Fava
6 Mayhew
7 Welch
8 Hogg

9 Pilgrim
10 Gopperth
11 Tait
12 Helleur
13 Tait
14 Shortland
15 Catterick

You have two Taits?

Have to make a change at 9. fury was appalling. Slow, he certainly was and then made poor decisions - I remember one quick ball won beyond the 10m line in the Leeds half, so good attacking ball, and he put up an aimless box kick.
You'll be in clover when Mike Blair arrives. Best quick ball you'll see. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Yeah but hes only coming if we get promoted...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu May 09, 2013 11:01 pm

After a season of winning every match we're just trying to get you more acclimatised to what you're facing in the Prem. You need a bit of drama to get the heart racing.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 pm

Oh well you've certainly achieved that Aitch... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri May 10, 2013 1:23 am

Glad to be of service. Very Happy

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Talk is that hes named an unchanged side for the weekend...!!! Erm

Surely that cant be right...

Edit: Its Confirmed...hes named an unchanged side...i just cant believe that!!! Shocked Headscratch

Alternatively there's a few players with a LOT to make up and prove...but im not convinced

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri May 10, 2013 10:59 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Talk is that hes named an unchanged side for the weekend...!!! Erm

Surely that cant be right...

Edit: Its Confirmed...hes named an unchanged side...i just cant believe that!!! Shocked Headscratch

Alternatively there's a few players with a LOT to make up and prove...but im not convinced

It all depends on whether they had bad performances or are just not up to it. If it was bad performances, stick them in again to make up for it. If they're just not up to it, change them as they're not going to improve. You've seen them the most this year and will have a better feel for it than any of us.

I'm not that against the play-offs (at least the current ones). Everyone knows what's going to happen. It's home and away (which is much better). The only real issues are possible injuries for the play-off games are much more significant than for a couple of games in season. Also in rugby the whether can have a significant effect on the score so aggregate doesn't really work very well. The ideal is perhaps a narrowing of the gap between the tiers and increasing the teams up and down. That way going down doesn't destroy a club and league winner can go straight up. I think that's pipe dreams at the moment though.

NB Hull City are supposed to be getting £120M from going up to the premiership. Not too much difference between rugby and football then Shocked

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Same side???? Did he not watch the game???

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat May 11, 2013 2:45 am

We've made 4 changes for the game, one for injury the rest squad rotational. They've had Rhino's Kevin Sinfield and coach Brian McDermottt in for a motivational session. Don't suppose there's many better at dealing with play off matches than those two so we'll see. Falcons should have too much for Carnegie at Kingston Park but they must be feeling the pressure way more than us, it's either going to be very tight or a romp for Falcons if they are allowed to get some momentum. Interesting times as they say.

Hammer, we've now beaten Falcons in perfect conditions and came desperately close in the mud, doubt either will matter much. Think everyone agrees (except those that matter) that the relationship between the divisions needs sorting to make the movement between the two less traumatic and catastrophic. We can only hope.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat May 11, 2013 5:40 pm

You'll be playing the Bedford Saracens in the final. That'll be a tough game though I suppose the Bedford strength will depend on how many of their DRs are available as the likes of Short and Fenton-Wells are pretty close to the Sarries first team.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat May 11, 2013 7:06 pm

aitchw wrote:We've made 4 changes for the game, one for injury the rest squad rotational. They've had Rhino's Kevin Sinfield and coach Brian McDermottt in for a motivational session. Don't suppose there's many better at dealing with play off matches than those two so we'll see. Falcons should have too much for Carnegie at Kingston Park but they must be feeling the pressure way more than us, it's either going to be very tight or a romp for Falcons if they are allowed to get some momentum. Interesting times as they say.

Hammer, we've now beaten Falcons in perfect conditions and came desperately close in the mud, doubt either will matter much. Think everyone agrees (except those that matter) that the relationship between the divisions needs sorting to make the movement between the two less traumatic and catastrophic. We can only hope.

The bit about weather was about if your home game was wet and away game was dry it's harder for you to win on aggregate (that's if both sides win their home games)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat May 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Point taken, Hammer. Forecast is less certain now with some rain between now and then but less certain about Sunday afternoon.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun May 12, 2013 11:05 pm

What's going on with the team changes?!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun May 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Getting really nervous now! Got to put in a better performance than last week, C'mon Falcons!!!!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun May 12, 2013 11:14 pm

Looks a better team, c'mon lads!!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun May 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Mich better team...look much more competitive

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun May 12, 2013 11:25 pm

This is more like it

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 22 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next