The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Chavez Junior mark the end of Roach dynasty?

+3
bellchees
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
7 posters

Go down

Will Chavez Junior mark the end of Roach dynasty? Empty Will Chavez Junior mark the end of Roach dynasty?

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:58 am

Like Freddie, and he has done a lot of good in the game. But it seems to me his stable has been bleeding in last year or two.

Pac has peaked and now sliding out of the elite.
Khan just cannot defend his chin. Numerous examples of this.
Jorge Linares has gone, unable to stop himself getting beasted under Roach and there is probably more I can't recall at the moment.

Now Junior.

He is easier to hit than a Baboons arse, and ok, he has good whiskers, but they won't bail him out forever. If Martinez lays a pasting on Junior next weekend, and by God I hope he does, will it be time to say goodbye to Roach as 'the trainer' in boxing?

I also think Pac is done if he fights JMM in December. Can't beat him. It's that simple.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Will Chavez Junior mark the end of Roach dynasty? Empty Re: Will Chavez Junior mark the end of Roach dynasty?

Post by Rowley Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:03 am

I think it has or is becoming a bit fashionable to question Roach or his abilities and his run does seem to be slowing down from the peak of a few years ago when it seemed everything he touched turned to gold and given his physical situation it is eminently possible he may never recapture that high again. However not sure this is indicative of anything in particular. Khan’s chin and lack of intelligence inside the ring was always going to put him at risk and for me it should not be forgotten where Khan was when he joined Roach and the level of improvement he made, if anyone had said when he was getting splattered by Prescott that Khan would have been seriously mentioned as an opponent for Mayweather it would have been considered outlandish, the fact he was has to be down to Roach to some extent.

Similarly Manny was never going to maintain the electrifying peak has reached when blitzing Cotto and Hatton in such fine style, a mixture of age and interests/distractions outside the ring were always likely to ensure that, and as for Chavez firstly he has not lost to Martinez yet and if he does again would not think it says too much about Roach but will just mean he has lost to a better fighter.

However given Khan looks likely to fly the coup pretty soon it could leave the wild card cupboard looking a bit bare, but these things tend to be cyclical and Roach will not be short of fighters willing to fill the void because irrespective of what others might like to try and tell you if his physical condition permits, Roach is still one of the top handful of coaches in the world.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Will Chavez Junior mark the end of Roach dynasty? Empty Re: Will Chavez Junior mark the end of Roach dynasty?

Post by bellchees Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:09 am

Is Jose Benavidez Jr still with Roach? I remember him being a big deal when he turned Pro but I haven't seen an awful lot of him and at the moment he is still very much fighting poor opposition.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:12 am

One thing I have noticed about Roach over the last couple of years. Sadly his Parkinson's symptoms seem to be noticeably worse. I do wonder how this impacts his effectiveness in the gym. His speech seems noticeably worse than it was a couple of years back. I don't know if this is the disease or the meds, but if he's unable to function physically and cognitively as is required by a top level coach, then it will surely impact his fighters.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:12 am

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:One thing I have noticed about Roach over the last couple of years. Sadly his Parkinson's symptoms seem to be noticeably worse. I do wonder how this impacts his effectiveness in the gym. His speech seems noticeably worse than it was a couple of years back. I don't know if this is the disease or the meds, but if he's unable to function physically and cognitively as is required by a top level coach, then it will surely impact his fighters.

Agree, he shakes a lot more and he can't have too much time left maybe 18 months max.

Sad but he knew it was coming and I remember a 24/7 a few years ago where he said he only had a few years left.

I'm sure once he bows out as a top level coach he'll stay active in a consultancy type role and still live and breathe the sport through the Wildcard gym.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Coaches reputations liver and die by the results of their stables- Enzo Calzaghe at one point had a gym full of champions and he rightly received the plaudits, now that he's got none few seem to rate him- I don't recall many us thinking that Khan should consider him. History should be kinder to Freddie and he will be rated highly- not up there with the Futches or Dundees or Arcels of this world, but he did wonders for Pacquaio,and for Khan (imho),but as Valero's conscience says it's only going to get harder for Fredddie to actively coach fighters, so realistically his best work is behind him.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:17 am

roach was awful the night hopkins should have beaten calzaghe comfortably. hopkins made a gfood choice in going with richardson, who i think is a better trainer. I dont think anything has changed recently, hes a decent coach, but not worthy of his heroic reputation. he just happend to strike gold with manny, and since the well has started to run dry with that one it has left him more open to criticism.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down