The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tight Rabo

+8
Luckless Pedestrian
ScarletSpiderman
Kingshu
Gibson
SecretFly
HammerofThunor
maestegmafia
Brendan
12 posters

Go down

Tight Rabo Empty Tight Rabo

Post by Brendan Mon 10 Sep 2012, 5:01 pm

I know it is still early days but we have see a fair few away wins and alot of tight wins. will this be the tightest leagues in years.

I think the Zebre will stuggle but at the same time they did score a decent amount against connacht.

Will the tight scores and winning away continue.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Tight Rabo Empty Re: Tight Rabo

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Sep 2012, 5:04 pm

Twin that with the top two teams of last season not having the best start it could get very very interesting quickly.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 10 Sep 2012, 6:12 pm

I thought this was some new slang I had never heard of.

I think it is getting to the point most sides and challenge most sides. As you said Zebre are probably a way off.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:52 pm

....or.................... it could all settle down into a more usual pattern in a few weeks time.

There are other reasons why the 'best' sides often look like the worst sides at the beginning of a season than just being rusty. My suspicions are that Ospreys might be stealing a few tricks from Leinster. As the season progresses, I'll know more.

In any case, forget the early predictions, they're not very trustworthy.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 10 Sep 2012, 7:59 pm

Why thank you Breandán, a chara. Thank you for noticing. I've been working out, ya know. guinness

Could be the closest comp for years. Love it.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:35 am

I think we are going to see more teams winning away from home and the top teams not pick up as many wins as usual.

As Secret says its early days. If it is still like this in a month's time it will tell us more.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:44 am

there a realistically 8 teams that could make the playoffs
Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Ospreys, Scarlets, Blues, Glasgow, Edinburgh.

Thats shows how tight it is expected to be, only Connacht, Dragons, Terviso and Zebre don't have real play off hopes.

But out of that Connacht, Dragons and Terviso will be aiming to finish above one or more of th eteams that do have playoff hopes as well.

Think its fair to break it down into teirs

Leinster, Ospreys likely finish 1-4
Munster, Ulster, Scarlets, Blues, Glasgow, Edinburgh likely finish 2-8
Connacht, Dragons and Terviso likely finish 6-11
Zebre likely finish 12

as you can see there is a lot of overlap of likely finishing places, which means its going to be close

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:06 pm

Kingshu - you've got it spot on there mate.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:12 pm

Kingshu wrote:there a realistically 8 teams that could make the playoffs
Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Ospreys, Scarlets, Blues, Glasgow, Edinburgh.

Based on last season's performances, perhaps.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:44 pm

I know Connacht grasiously let Aroini have a win their first season but do we expect Zebre to win any games or pick up more than 5 pts

I'm not sure could see them only get 2 LBP

Saying that Aroini did win a HC game their first season

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:55 pm

Brendan wrote:I know Connacht grasiously let Aroini have a win their first season but do we expect Zebre to win any games or pick up more than 5 pts

I'm not sure could see them only get 2 LBP

Saying that Aroini did win a HC game their first season

Haven't looked too closely at them yet, but isn't Zebre in a sense just a name change? Did all the Aironi players just up and retire when operations were closed down there? I think Zebre stand a good chance of picking one or two overly lax teams off before the end of the season. I won't be betting my house on it, mind you - but even for them, that's doable.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 12 Sep 2012, 8:38 am

Actually I think it could be the complete opposite - it would not surprise me if 5 teams pull away - Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Scarlets, Ospreys.

Not convinced Edinburgh or Cardiff have what it takes and Glasgow, given their change of coach, will not do as well.

The others are, at best, mid table.

A couple of more defeats for Ospreys and they could be in big trouble

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:10 pm

Usually there's only been about 5 -10 points between 4th and 7th (and that gap is closing) which is around 2 wins.

The only two sides who have really pulled away is Leinster and Munster, with maybe the Ospreys - but they are usually realed back in.

I wouldn't be suprised if Edinburgh or Glasgow are up there as well, Edinburgh have improved a lot from last year, and Glasgow are a good team if they're not hampered by Townsend.

You can also look at any of the top 5 you've identified and see weaknesses and say there's a possibility they won't finish the highest of their country, or might be pushed out of the playoffs.

I think the only thing that's certain is that Zebre will finish bottom, and it's pretty likely that the Dragons, Connacht and Treviso won't finish in the play offs. Everything else is up for grabs.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 25 Sep 2012, 12:07 am

The standard seems to have gone up a notch from last season. Its noticable already. The weak teams are struggling though. Connacht have a crippling injury list with 8 or 9 first teamers missing. Zebre will struggle to win a game.

At the top however things are getting tighter. Scarlets, Munster and Edinburgh are noticably stronger this season. Leinster have some injuries to key players so they won't pull away from the pack like/as much as last season.

With more internationals coming back in the next few weeks things will really start to heat up.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 25 Sep 2012, 7:07 am

Kingshu - broadly agree with your rankings although I honestly don't believe that the first couple of weeks will be an accurate reflection on team's performances over a season.

I think that, in comparison to form in previous seasons, Scarlets, Blues and Edinburgh are the dark horses this year and (although, of course, I *would* say this) Glasgow are one of the few teams with some of their most important mainstream players still to be introduced - once Strauss, Swinson, Harley, Ofa, Matawalu, Rory Lamont and Hogg get back into the picture, they will have a side capable of beating absolutely anyone.

Even with their current coach.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 25 Sep 2012, 9:42 am

does ther seem to be more away wins this year so far or is it just me.

Me and the wife were talking at the dargons game how playing away from home ususally means little or no support which stands the teams in good stead when in europe as playing away with no support is the same as every other week. The French and English just don't have that.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:33 pm

Brendan wrote:does ther seem to be more away wins this year so far or is it just me.

Me and the wife were talking at the dargons game how playing away from home ususally means little or no support which stands the teams in good stead when in europe as playing away with no support is the same as every other week. The French and English just don't have that.

55% so far this season (before last weekends games) compared to 34% for the whole of last season. As the season goes on you'd expect that stat to lower.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down