The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster v Munster Friday 14th Sept. Discussion Thread

+32
drsambo1928
Maddog
pete (buachaill on eirne)
neilthom7
asoreleftshoulder
Thomond
LeinsterFan4life
SecretFly
ME-109
valjester
Feckless Rogue
2bFair
Golden
Keesie_kee
MrsP
Cari
Captain Charisma
Pete330v2
Artful_Dodger
LondonTiger
red_stag
Pot Hale
thebandwagonsociety
geoff998rugby
Don Alfonso
Sin é
BoyneRFC
Notch
clivemcl
Kingshu
rodders
Rava
36 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Ulster v Munster Friday 14th Sept. Discussion Thread - Page 4 Empty Ulster v Munster Friday 14th Sept. Discussion Thread

Post by Rava Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ulster XV & replacements to face Munster, RaboDirect PRO12, Friday 14th September, Ravenhill (7.05pm):
(15-9): J Payne; A Trimble, D Cave, L Marshall, M Allen; P Jackson, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, N Brady, J Afoa, J Muller (c), L Stevenson, S Ferris, S Doyle, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, N McComb, M McComish, M Heaney, P Nelson, C Gilroy.

Ulster Ravens team and replacements to face Munster A, Friday 14th September, Deramore, Park, Belfast (kick off 3pm):
(15-9):Ricky Andrew, Chris Colvin, Stuart McCloskey, Nevin Spence, Chris Cochrane; Niall O’Connor, Blane McIlroy;
(1-8): Richard Lutton, Niall Annett, Conor Carey, Alan O’Connor, Dan Tuohy, Iain Henderson, Chris Henry (c), Sean O’Connell;
Replacements (16-23): John Burns, Michael Cromie, Glenn Sinnamon, James Simpson, Neil Faloon, Scott Gibson, Ritchie McMaster, Michael McCauley.

Munster: Denis Hurley; Doug Howlett Capt., Casey Laulala, James Downey, Luke O’Dea; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilcoyne, Damien Varley, BJ Botha; Donncha O’Callaghan, Billy Holland; Dave O’Callaghan, Sean Dougall, James Coughlan. Replacements: Mike Sherry, Marcus Horan, Stephen Archer, Dave Foley, Tommy O’Donnell, Conor Murray, Ronan O’Gara, Keith Earls.

Munster A: Sean Scanlon; Ronan O’Mahony, Danny Barnes, JJ Hanrahan, Ivan Dineen; Scott Deasy, Peter Stringer; James Cronin, Sean Henry, Christy Condon; Philip Donnellan, Brian Hayes; Niall Ronan, Barry O’Mahony, Paddy Butler. Replacements: Duncan Casey, Kevin Griffin, Alan Cotter, Cathal O’Flaherty, Shane Buckley, Cathal Sheridan, Corey Hircock, Cian Bohane.

Last edited by Rava on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 8:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Munster Friday 14th Sept. Discussion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Ulster v Munster Friday 14th Sept. Discussion Thread

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:25 pm

Yc for Munster 7.

Fantastic rolling maul from Ulster.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Munster Friday 14th Sept. Discussion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Ulster v Munster Friday 14th Sept. Discussion Thread

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:25 pm

Ulster opt for the scrum 5 yards out!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:28 pm

So close to a try from Gilroy.

Brilliant Munster defence.

Maybe not legal but...

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:30 pm

Great defence from munster and a beauty of a kick to touch from jackson

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:30 pm

Has Payne moved to 13?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:33 pm

I think Allen has moved in. He placed centre through school.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:37 pm

Munster DG.

17 v 19

C'Mon Ulster.14 mins left

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:39 pm

Munster back to 15

McComb on for Stevenson.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:41 pm

Paddy J puts us back ahead with a great pen.

20 v 19

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:43 pm

ROG on.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:46 pm

Munster make a Horlicks of the 22 drop out.

Ulster scrum on the 22!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:47 pm

Wish I could see this. Sounds very exciting...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:48 pm

Ulster mess it up.

Own worst enemies just now.

Still, exciting!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:52 pm

Trimble plays crap so decides to play dirty

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:54 pm

Rubbish DOD!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:56 pm

Score?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:58 pm

Not sure if I am watching a welsh team. The booing and victim hood from the supporters is pretty pathetic. Good game though...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:58 pm

WoooooooooHoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

20 v 19!!!!!!!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:59 pm

If we had lost that game because Trimble give Hurley a little push to get the ball back I would of gone berzerk.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:00 pm

Especially seeing as who threw the punch!

But, justice was served!

Yahoo

Good game.

We need to use our chances more though.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:02 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:If we had lost that game because Trimble give Hurley a little push to get the ball back I would of gone berzerk.

It was harsh, but pure stupidity on Trimble's part to give the opportunity of that happening. Rog has hopefully played his way out of Irish contention tonight, Keatley and Jackson were far better. Munster look far better with Keatley at 10. Payne will be excellent for us if he can perform all year, I feel that Trimble is probably going to lose out, his passing isn't as good as the other options, and although he offers bulk and excellent defence, Bowe and Gilroy will probably complete the back three.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:03 pm

Munster really know how to use their chances so well. Really would not have been surprised if they had nicked it at the end. Soooo pleased we managed to hold on.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:03 pm

He was crap though mrs p

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:03 pm

valjester wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:If we had lost that game because Trimble give Hurley a little push to get the ball back I would of gone berzerk.

It was harsh, but pure stupidity on Trimble's part to give the opportunity of that happening. Rog has hopefully played his way out of Irish contention tonight, Keatley and Jackson were far better. Munster look far better with Keatley at 10. Payne will be excellent for us if he can perform all year, I feel that Trimble is probably going to lose out, his passing isn't as good as the other options, and although he offers bulk and excellent defence, Bowe and Gilroy will probably complete the back three.

+1 Bowe and Gilroy for me. How good is Jared Payne looking after tonight, hes getting steadily better with every game and gonna be a big player for us this season.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:05 pm

Never mind Rog, once they get rid of that plank sexton and play Madigan sooner rather than later

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:07 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
valjester wrote:

+1 Bowe and Gilroy for me. How good is Jared Payne looking after tonight, hes getting steadily better with every game and gonna be a big player for us this season.

He was outstanding for the Blues before he left, although he did make two mistakes leading to two tries in his last game for them, and had a good chance of making the All Blacks squads. He can sometimes lose the head if he is need to make a hard decision under a lot of pressure but he will be a huge signing for us, can't wait for the full team to be back and the Heineken Cup to start.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:07 pm

Harsh DOD. Defensively he was very good.

Payne was my MOTM though.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:17 pm

MrsP wrote:Harsh DOD. Defensively he was very good.

Payne was my MOTM though.

Yeah I'd probably agree with that. From an Irish point of view, Jackson and Keatley playing well is a huge positive. At the moment if Sexton was to get injured we would be in real trouble, but if the two of them can continue to get quality game time and improve we will be laughing. And if reports are to be believed from the A game earlier today, Hanrahan and Henderson were the two best players on the pitch which bodes well for the future. Also DOCv2 is huge, I still think he is a 2nd row but if he can start to get involved more in the game he will be a good 6. There was one point where he bounced ferris of all people, just needs to get more consistent and be more involved throughout the game.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:37 pm

Well...that was bloody early in the season to have such a vicious edge-of-the-seat, right-to-the-edge game! If that's a sign of things to come, there won't be an Irish player left on their feet come the end of the season when big games need to be played.

Calm down all, is the advice - back to the old slugging it out in the plodding steam herds immediately!

Great game. Great passion. Wonderful pace and fire and yep, Ulster deserved it - but only by what they eventually won it by. This Munster side has still a lot to learn, still too predictable in their attack patterns but certainly a few steps up from what I've personally seen from them this season so far.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:41 pm

Fly,

Stevie Ferris said in his "100th Cap" interview that the Interpros were a step up in intensity from the HEC. Certainly looked that way at Ravenhill tonight.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:43 pm

luke o'dea looks a cracking player. i was dissapointed when he had to come off.
can anyone tell me what the score was in the "A" game?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:44 pm

That's right fly they scored a try by sticking it up the jumper and weren't at all trying to play an expansive game.. I see you are still as predictable as ever, and still clueless Doh

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:48 pm

LF4L,

17 v 19 in the Ravens v Munster A game I think.

Heard Ulster had a good lead for some time too but Munster scored twice late in the match to sneak it!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:55 pm

JJ Hanrahan got a last minute try for the As to win.

On the match super advert for Irish rugby and the Rabo, great attacking from both sides. Fly, I think we have imprved greatly in attack, we are still predictable at times but there was some stellar attacking play and you will struggle to find a better team try than Earls' one (Earls is a poor distributer? Child Please)

Disapppointing as I think we have seen the end of ROG (I said it around December last year like but sure people might listen now). Keatley wasn't superb tonight. He made the right choices and managed the game well but he has more in his locker. JJ is moving along nicely and great to see him win the game for the As today, against a pretty decent Ravens side. Murray was pitiful in those last few minutes, not good enough. Why don't scrum halves know that you pass, step not step, pass. Kills any momentum and the defence are right in your face. Heck I would think Strings would help Munster a hell of a lot.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:55 pm

MrsP wrote:LF4L,

17 v 19 in the Ravens v Munster A game I think.

Heard Ulster had a good lead for some time too but Munster scored twice late in the match to sneak it!
thanks MrsP.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:59 pm

DOD wrote:That's right fly they scored a try by sticking it up the jumper and weren't at all trying to play an expansive game.. I see you are still as predictable as ever, and still clueless Doh

Sigh,I see you're back as ignorant as ever.

Oh well another season has started maybe you can learn something this time,manners would be a good start.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm

The guys you would have been hoping would have an impact lost it for us. ROG is done and has been for a while. Murray has learned nothing from last season from the looks of things. It's pass, step not pass,step. Scrumhalves who have good service all follow that route. ROG well he wasn't helped by Murray but he threw some woeful passes and is not suited to this system in any way.

Keatley wasn't stellar tonight but he managed the game well, he has played better this year but wasn't too bad tonight. Our back play is getting better game by game you would struggle to find a better team try than Earls' one tonight (poor distributor? Child Please) It has a long way to go and we do look toothless at times but it's a far cry from last year. Most disappointing part of the night was O'Dea going off injured (we'll leave aside Trimble doing his best to eliminate his image as a sound man Wink) this guy has serious potential around a try every 2 games. Doesn't look too bad and if he is fit we have a heck of a battle for the winger spot. Zebo, Dougie, Earls and O'Dea. Very interesting.

Also Denis Hurley and DOC stood out tonight. DOC is not giving up without a fight love the guy for that he is going great guns so far this year.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:44 pm

DOD wrote:That's right fly they scored a try by sticking it up the jumper and weren't at all trying to play an expansive game.. I see you are still as predictable as ever, and still clueless Doh

Jesus DOD give over, for Christ's sake.

They played great... I enjoyed the game immensely, I loved the expansiveness, I loved the spurts of invention..I'm NOT going to dissect the game move by move in what was simply a short descriptive post to say what I felt about the game. That's for guys like you to pour over with the replay buttons and the stat files. Enjoy the process.

Munster played great. Second half display when in attack became largely static and predictable...possibly the effects of changes and tiredness creeping in but it was there, the lateral movement and little penetration. Live with it - nothing is perfect and they weren't tonight. It's a long season, they'll improve.

Ok? ..................................... Ok.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:53 pm

Our ball retention was poor at times, we need to make better use of our chances, off course credit to Munster too there was a lot of buggering going on that Mr Rolland didn't see. I thought however both teams showed they can play good rugby and also both get into a fight which bodes well for Irish rugby. Good to see so many young players too I though Allen had a great night and O'Dea looks very promising for Munster. I'm just glad we won 3 from 3 is a good start to the season. SUFTUM.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:54 pm

With Zebre next week its soon to be 4 from 4 Wink

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:59 pm

Thomond wrote:The guys you would have been hoping would have an impact lost it for us. ROG is done and has been for a while. Murray has learned nothing from last season from the looks of things. It's pass, step not pass,step. Scrumhalves who have good service all follow that route. ROG well he wasn't helped by Murray but he threw some woeful passes and is not suited to this system in any way.

Keatley wasn't stellar tonight but he managed the game well, he has played better this year but wasn't too bad tonight. Our back play is getting better game by game you would struggle to find a better team try than Earls' one tonight (poor distributor? Child Please) It has a long way to go and we do look toothless at times but it's a far cry from last year. Most disappointing part of the night was O'Dea going off injured (we'll leave aside Trimble doing his best to eliminate his image as a sound man Wink) this guy has serious potential around a try every 2 games. Doesn't look too bad and if he is fit we have a heck of a battle for the winger spot. Zebo, Dougie, Earls and O'Dea. Very interesting.

Also Denis Hurley and DOC stood out tonight. DOC is not giving up without a fight love the guy for that he is going great guns so far this year.

I have to disagree with you on Murray being in any way at fault for ROG's disastrous display. Murray was quite decent imo, his pass was an improvement on Williams, which isn't saying much, and looks like if given the opportunity he could strike up a solid partnership with Keatley. Earls will be good wherever he plays.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:01 pm

Murray was atrocious in the last few minutes, his decision making was shoite and it arguably cost us the game. ROG was at fault too but Murray is not completely blameless

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:03 pm

Thomond wrote:Murray was atrocious in the last few minutes, his decision making was shoite and it arguably cost us the game. ROG was at fault too but Murray is not completely blameless

He looked for Rog in the pocket, and he wasn't there, what else was he supposed to do?

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm

Any scrum half with a brain would realise one when his out half is in the pocket and two when the time to go for it is. He made the wrong decisions imo, and he deserves to be culpable. His service is still slow and not good enough. Pass it beofre you step and give our attackers some space Murray ffs.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:09 pm

Thomond wrote:Any scrum half with a brain would realise one when his out half is in the pocket and two when the time to go for it is. He made the wrong decisions imo, and he deserves to be culpable. His service is still slow and not good enough. Pass it beofre you step and give our attackers some space Murray ffs.

Rog never went to the pocket, he is much more to blame for the loss than anything Murray did. Murray has done quite well for his first appearance of the season. Rog doesn't look like he has the range anymore to be off any use, his kicking for touch has gone to pots, he makes barely any distance and he just looked like he had no confidence in his own ability to kick a drop goal which is fairly surprising from him.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm

Oh most definitely I agree with you I have wanted rid of ROG for the guts of a year and have felt he has outgrown his use for almost 2.

The king is dead. Long live the King!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:15 pm

well thats the plan anyways artful Very Happy

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:16 pm

Thomond wrote:Oh most definitely I agree with you I have wanted rid of ROG for the guts of a year and have felt he has outgrown his use for almost 2.

The king is dead. Long live the King!

It is going to be a huge test of Penney's freedom of selection whether he goes with Keatley or ROG. I don't think he would have brought on ROG is laulala had not be injured.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:18 pm

Id have to look at it again (on DODs high tech replay system Wink ) but I don't really think I saw one occasion during that drop-kick potential time that O'Gara was ever in the right position to take a shot.

And that's not blaming him. His players couldn't push the Ulster players far enough away from him, the Ulster boys were chasing him down with venom anytime it looked remotely on (and I mean anytime) I know some of you will probably think of a single moment when certainly the commentators felt it was on...but even then I think he made the right decision not to attempt a kick (in theory of course - hindsight says he should have tried it)...he knew he had only one chance and I don't think a clear cut one actually ever came.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:18 pm

He wouldn't have taken Keats off, if Laulala doesn't get injured ROG sits on the bench as he should. No use hauling Keatley off in one of the bigger games he plays. Even if ROG starts this year, Keatley will have to play in the HC or on the big stage at some point, he needs the experience.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next