The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster v Dragons

+31
Thomond
Notch
Gibson
valjester
glamorganalun
ME-109
Pot Hale
Gretgael1
Smirnoffpriest
Brendan
Rava
Captain Charisma
asoreleftshoulder
SecretFly
GunsGerms
munkian
XR
Artful_Dodger
Morgannwg
Sin é
LeinsterFan4life
profitius
rodders
BoyneRFC
Kingshu
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
youngguns6
Impossible Standards
GoodinTightSpaces
red_stag
35 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Munster v Dragons Empty Munster v Dragons

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:14 pm

Obviously this will be difficult for all the Irish provices due to Nevin Spence's death. I expect to see Sean Dougall excused for this game as he and Nevin were close friends. Same with BJ Botha who played with him at Ulster and probably his U20s team mates from Munster too.

Probable team:

01 Wian du Preez
02 Mike Sherry
03 Stephen Archer
04 Donncha O'Callaghan
05 Dave Foley
06 Billy Holland
07 Niall Ronan
08 James Coughlan
09 Conor Murray
10 Ronan O'Gara
11 Keith Earls
12 JJ Hanrahan
13 Danny Barnes
14 Doug Howlett
15 Denis Hurley

16 Dave Kilcoyne
17 Damien Varley
18 Christy Condon
19 Philip Donellan
20 Barry O'Mahony
21 Peter Stringer
22 Scott Deasy
23 Ivan Dineen
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Munster v Dragons Empty Re: Munster v Dragons

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:39 pm

Ok James Coughlan has been ruled out of action for 8 weeks.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:40 pm

whats the injury

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:44 pm

http://www.laois-nationalist.ie/2012/09/17/coughlan-facing-prospect-of-three-months-out-with-groin-tear/

Torn groin muscle - maybe out for 3 months.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:56 pm

We are struggling at hooker for this (apparently). So we might get to see Gerwyn Price in a Dragons shirt, though he'll obviously be a sub.

Before last weekend's debacle, we were going to make changes, but now I think we may not, especially as it's proven that we can't afford to pick and choose games.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:05 pm

Terrible news in regards to Spence and his family. I can't imagine what it must be like in the ulster camp (and the other provinces). I hope the Dragons show up for this match and put in a decent performance because if we play like we did Saturday we will be going home with a hiding!
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:14 pm

At the minute, I can only see a forty point minimum Munster win.

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

Risca Rev wrote:At the minute, I can only see a forty point minimum Munster win.

I think our rhythm will be upset with ROG coming back into the team and a few key men needing a break after 5-6 matches in a row.

Also we have a number of players who would have been team mates of Nevin Spence at Ireland A, Ireland U20 and Ulster.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:26 pm

I agree, we normaly get 40 points put on us in this fixture and there's been nothing to convince me it won't be business as usual.

Can I be bothered to say a loosing bonus would be great and we really need to front up. Our season is over.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:27 pm

youngguns6 wrote:Our season is over.

Amlin Cup?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:29 pm

This is not the best fixture for us to have after the last two defeats.

We started well against Zebre and showed up well (without ever threatening to win it) against Leinster.

We were poor last week in a game I genuienly thought we could win so having to go to Munster
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

red_stag wrote:
youngguns6 wrote:Our season is over.

Amlin Cup?

So far you have 6pts in the league, there are teams in a worse position that you.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:31 pm

Munster are away at Ospreys next week and I think they will rest some players in this game to have a good crack at the O's away.

Munster not at full strength against Dragons at home, will be a hard fought win for Munster, think they still have the quality to do it.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:32 pm

Kingshu, the game is in Thomond Park which should make it a bit harder for Dragons.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:34 pm

sorry missed a coma,

was supposed to read like
Munster not at full strength, against Dragons, at home

as in Munster not at full strength at home, against Dragons...would have been the better way to put it.

Dragons still aren't the best travellers, Munster are cos Limericks full of them. Run

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:41 pm

It's not down to the points wr currently have. Blues are the team we need to finish above. We've lost 0-4 points at home with the return leg to come. We beat Zebre, It would be a huge shock if they didn't also beat them. They beat caunaught (sp) we never win in Galway !! I guess the Edin game is a bonus for us.

There are some really good teams in the amlin - our front 5 will be smashed of the park.

Ok the season isn't over but i was soo excited about Saturday.. Still gutted.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:49 pm

I have no idea ROG is being humoured still at Munster. Would you not be better of sticking with IK and try to get his to push for the Ireland No. 2 / 3 spot?

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:54 pm

BoyneRFC wrote:I have no idea ROG is being humoured still at Munster. Would you not be better of sticking with IK and try to get his to push for the Ireland No. 2 / 3 spot?

We would be much better off. However Keatley has played in all our preseason friendlies and our RaboDirect matches. Thats about 6-7 matches in a row. I think he could do with a week off and let him recharge the batteries.

I don't want ROG starting for Munster in any must win games this year.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue 18 Sep 2012, 4:07 pm

Good point. I must say, I have been impressed with IK. Seems a new player.

Amazing what confidence (in one) and the fact that you are given a fair run at it, can do for a player.

My wish for 2012 13 is to have a shoot out IK v IM for the no 2 (perhaps 1) spot !!!

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 18 Sep 2012, 4:11 pm

BoyneRFC wrote:Good point. I must say, I have been impressed with IK. Seems a new player.

Amazing what confidence (in one) and the fact that you are given a fair run at it, can do for a player.

My wish for 2012 13 is to have a shoot out IK v IM for the no 2 (perhaps 1) spot !!!

PJ may have played himself into that shootout as well

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 18 Sep 2012, 4:11 pm

Lets not forget young Paddy Jackson who's started the season very well also.

The days of needing Paddy Wallace to cover fly half for Ireland are long gone thankfully Smile .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue 18 Sep 2012, 4:12 pm

Indeed. I am glad he recovered from the nightmare he had in the HEC Final last year..

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:35 pm

I think we might see a few changes from Munster alright with an eye on the Ospreys and Leinster games to come. Some players have played every game this season and you also have to factor in the death of Nevin Spence.

Theres a few squad players who deserve a shot but its understandable that Penney has stuck with mostly the same team so far to help them gel and play the way he wants the game to be played.

Interestingly Penney was at the A match against Ulster Ravens last week where Hanrahan score the final try and touchline conversion to win the match. According to an Ulster fan on UAFC the game changed when Hanrahan moved to 10 after 50 min.

POM, Donnacha Ryan and Zebo are back too. Zebo needs a good showing because Luke O'Dea has been one of Munsters best players this season and theres not much between them in terms of talent.

John Ryan has also returned from his loan spell with London Irish so might take the bench spot.

I've been saying for the past year or more than ROG is losing his powers and hes even more unsuited to Penneys style of running rugby. Keatley has been very good so far

The team could be something like..

15. Scanlon
14. Howlett
13. Earls
12. Dineen
11. Zebo
10. ROG
9. Murray

1. Du Preez
2. Sherry
3. Archer
4. DOC
5. Don Ryan
6. DOC2
7. Ronan
8. POM
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:46 pm

profitius wrote:I think we might see a few changes from Munster alright with an eye on the Ospreys and Leinster games to come. Some players have played every game this season and you also have to factor in the death of Nevin Spence.

Theres a few squad players who deserve a shot but its understandable that Penney has stuck with mostly the same team so far to help them gel and play the way he wants the game to be played.

Interestingly Penney was at the A match against Ulster Ravens last week where Hanrahan score the final try and touchline conversion to win the match. According to an Ulster fan on UAFC the game changed when Hanrahan moved to 10 after 50 min.

POM, Donnacha Ryan and Zebo are back too. Zebo needs a good showing because Luke O'Dea has been one of Munsters best players this season and theres not much between them in terms of talent.

John Ryan has also returned from his loan spell with London Irish so might take the bench spot.

I've been saying for the past year or more than ROG is losing his powers and hes even more unsuited to Penneys style of running rugby. Keatley has been very good so far

The team could be something like..

15. Scanlon
14. Howlett
13. Earls
12. Dineen
11. Zebo
10. ROG
9. Murray

1. Du Preez
2. Sherry
3. Archer
4. DOC
5. Don Ryan
6. DOC2
7. Ronan
8. POM
Would you have hanrahan on the bench? He needs pro 12 games this season.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:59 pm

There was an interview in Limerick Leader last week with Hanrahan. From what he said I got the impression that he would be playing a lot of Munster A and UL Bohs this season. He talked about he liked playing for UL Bohs as he felt it was his team and he could dictate the game. No better place for him to learn how to manage a game than there I'd say. Its handy that Cathal Sheridan (Scrum Half) is also with UL Bohs. There is a Munster A game this week as well.

Just a few thing that I think are worth sharing. Ferris said that player management of internationals consisted of being rested in one game out of every 4.

Schmidt decided to integrate most the internationals together last weekend (presumably because they were more or less out of sight so they could make all the mistakes they wanted and not get hammered for them), whereas both Munster & Ulster have been more in the spotlight and slower to have mass changes.

I'd say Munster will be conservative enough on the changes from next weekend, particularly as its a home game.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Sep 2012, 6:01 pm

Hanrahan interview here:

Published on Friday 14 September 2012 08:50

Limerick Leader rugby correspondent Colm Kinsella talks to JJ Hanrahan, one of Munster rugby’s hottest prospects.

AS one of the hottest young properties in Irish rugby, JJ Hanrahan was much in demand last season. The 20-year-old jumped between the Munster ‘A’ side, the Irish U-20s and with his club UL-Bohemian.

Not surprising then that the classy out-half admits calling a few Irish U-20s moves while playing for UL-Bohs’ and getting a few blank stares from confused team-mates.

Hanrahan first served notice of his star quality at Castleisland RFC and has embellished his reputation further at Rockwell College, UL-Bohs’, the Irish U-20s and Munster.

Born in Currow, Co Kerry, an area which has produced more than its share of Irish internationals over the years, including Mick Galwey, Moss Keane and the Doyles, Mick and Tom, rugby played second fiddle to Gaelic football for Hanrahan until he was in his teens.

“I always enjoyed rugby. I always liked it. Maybe I was a bit too physical playing Gaelic football and committed fouls,” Hanrahan said.

“Rugby played second fiddle to Gaelic football until I was about 15 or 16. I had the opportunity to play minor but didn’t go through with it. I played centre back or midfield. Eventually rugby took over. I was fortunate to be part of a really good team in Castleisland. We got to an All-Ireland semi-final and got spotted from there to Rockwell.

“I spent three years at Castleisland Community College. After my Junior Cert, I went to Rockwell. I had two years there. It was a great time. We got to two Senior Cup finals, but unfortunately lost both. It was a good experience.”

After Rockwell, Hanrahan moved to Limerick and UL and is currently studying for a Business Degree Through Flexible Learning. He revealed that he opted to play his club rugby with UL-Bohs’ because the Annacotty club provided him with the opportunity to play at senior level more quickly than other clubs.

“Some people wonder why didn’t I join one of the traditional powerhouses in Shannon and Garryowen. Basically, I enquired a lot into it and I wanted to play top level senior rugby straight away,” Hanrahan explained.

“I had a relationship with Ian Costello from under-age rugby. But the deciding factor was being in the shop window. I wanted to be at a club where I felt I could play straight away. With Garryowen or Shannon I probably would have been playing U-21 for a year and sit on the bench for another year. With UL-Bohs’ I think I played my first AIL game in my first season there. That has helped me come on in leaps and bounds as a player.”

Hanrahan spent two years in the Munster Academy and has now been elevated to a development contract with the province.

Best known as an out-half - probably due to the major impact he made playing for the Irish U-20s at the summer’s Junior World Championship - Hanrahan has also played at 12. While he believes the switches into the centre has benefitted him, he prefers the 10 role.

“I played a lot of 12. At the start you are wondering why are you not playing 10,” Hanrahan said.

“I have learned an awful lot from playing 12, especially in the defensive game and the way the game moves. But number 10 is my preferred position, my number one position. But ultimately it’s up to the coach where they want to put me.

“The Junior World Championship during the summer was the most I enjoyed my rugby, probably ever, since school 100%. I got lucky I suppose that Paddy Jackson was pulled. I don’t know if I would have played 10 there or not. I didn’t make the best of starts in the first game against South Africa. I had three kicks out on the full in the opening 10 minutes. After that things seemed to click. All I can say is that it was down to the boys who were there. They were absolutely outstanding. It was the best team morale I have experienced.”

The new season is still in its infancy and Hanrahan, like several of his club mates is moving between the Munster ‘A’ side and UL-Bohs, who he helped guide to Limerick Charity Cup success on Saturday.

He said: “I always feel it is a breath of fresh air to come back and play with UL-Bohs. You are given the licence to play. That is what I enjoy about playing for the club. It can take a night or two to learn all the calls with different teams. It has happened a few times on the field where you might call something from the Irish U-20s playing with UL-Bohs. You have guys looking at you wondering what it this fella saying. It has happened and you have to say ‘sorry about that.’ It is a great learning experience.”

Hanrahan appreciates that his form with the club side will dictate his chances of making a breakthrough into Munster’s senior side.

“It all comes down to performance. Playing with UL-Bohs’ in the Charity Cup final, not only do you want to win, but you want to set off your form,” he explained.

“I really enjoy playing with UL-Bohs because it is my game of rugby. It is exactly what I like. It gives you confidence going into ‘A’ games and senior games. I see playing for UL-Bohs as a great opportunity from a tactical point of view to learn at training and the same with the Munster ‘A’ side. I am really looking forward to playing in Division 1A in the AIL this season, especially the Friday night derby matches when I am involved. I am hoping the crowds will come out.

“I am a big believer in the view that if you are good enough you play. In my second year with the Munster Academy I trained with the seniors for the year. If you are good enough you should play. I never really liked to use my age as a factor.

“I think Rob (Penney) has been absolutely excellent. He really mixes up the game. He wants a mix between playing with width and going through the middle, crashing ball up. He really wants that mix. Whether it be wingers on the touchline or forwards, whoever is there, gets the ball wide and plays off that and trust their skills. That is the approach.”

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/rugby/hanrahan-one-of-munster-s-brightest-young-stars-1-4259035
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 18 Sep 2012, 6:39 pm

red_stag wrote:
BoyneRFC wrote:I have no idea ROG is being humoured still at Munster. Would you not be better of sticking with IK and try to get his to push for the Ireland No. 2 / 3 spot?

We would be much better off. However Keatley has played in all our preseason friendlies and our RaboDirect matches. Thats about 6-7 matches in a row. I think he could do with a week off and let him recharge the batteries.

That's crazy. The guy is a game winner. Besides there aren't any strong 10s in the squad, JJ looks good though. Munster's A team fly-half of last season also looked decent.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 18 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Would you have hanrahan on the bench? He needs pro 12 games this season.

I would. No point keeping him under wraps for another season.

It looks like POM and Donnacha Ryan might miss this weekends game too.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Sep 2012, 8:40 pm

profitius wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:Would you have hanrahan on the bench? He needs pro 12 games this season.

He isn't been kept under wraps. He will be learning to game manage with UL Bohs and Munster A. Benching for the Munster seniors isn't going to be as beneficial as full games for Munster A & UL Bohs. If you read the interview he says he went to Bohs because he wasn't going to sit on the bench or play for the U19s.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 18 Sep 2012, 8:46 pm

Sin é wrote:
profitius wrote:

He isn't been kept under wraps. He will be learning to game manage with UL Bohs and Munster A. Benching for the Munster seniors isn't going to be as beneficial as full games for Munster A & UL Bohs. If you read the interview he says he went to Bohs because he wasn't going to sit on the bench or play for the U19s.

not good enough sin. this guy needs robbo games now! he has the talent. you see it, i see it, we all see it. Enough with ths conservative attitude, get this guy on the pitch for munster.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 18 Sep 2012, 9:27 pm

That's the conservative attitude in all of Ireland LF4life, not just Munster.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:31 pm

It was good enough for Dan Carter* - 21 for his first pro game (and that was at 12). Cruden was nearly 22 before he got near Super Rugby with the Canes. JJ has just gone 20 (in July). Let him get used to making decision without the like of Stephen Ferris or Sean O'Brien mowing him down.

*Penney was in charge of the Canterbury Academy when he was coming through and then onto the Crusaders when he started there. Penney didn't rush Bleyenthaal (who captained the baby blacks to a world cup 2 years ago) who was nearly 22 before he got capped for Canterbury and 22 by the time he picked up a few caps for the Crusaders.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 18 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm

Well I think it's a bit different in New Zealand. They don't bring you through to the All Blacks unless your world class, and it's difficult to displace any member of the team as it is. Dan Carter first played for the ABs when he was an U21s player (they didn't have U20s back then). So not sure what you're getting at? The only guy I can think of is Paddy Jackson, who seems to be an Ulster regular now.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Well I think it's a bit different in New Zealand. They don't bring you through to the All Blacks unless your world class, and it's difficult to displace any member of the team as it is. Dan Carter first played for the ABs when he was an U21s player (they didn't have U20s back then). So not sure what you're getting at? The only guy I can think of is Paddy Jackson, who seems to be an Ulster regular now.

I was talking about club rugby - I didn't mention anything about getting capped by the ABs. Bascially, Carter was doing the same thing as what JJ is doing now at the same age.

(Dan Carter's first cap for the AB was in 21/06/2003 against Wales in Hamilton at 12. He was 21 years and 3 months. Carlos Spencer was the flyhalf).

Jackson has started 8 games in the Magners & 2 Heineken Cup games, but missed out on the Junior World Cup. Not too many were convinced by his performance in the Heineken Cup final - most thought it was a bit too much too soon and are relieved that he hasn't been scared for life.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 18 Sep 2012, 11:17 pm

Jackson looked poor at U20 level before playing for Ulster, but they're keen on developing him anyway.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 19 Sep 2012, 7:23 am

Sin é wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:Well I think it's a bit different in New Zealand. They don't bring you through to the All Blacks unless your world class, and it's difficult to displace any member of the team as it is. Dan Carter first played for the ABs when he was an U21s player (they didn't have U20s back then). So not sure what you're getting at? The only guy I can think of is Paddy Jackson, who seems to be an Ulster regular now.

I was talking about club rugby - I didn't mention anything about getting capped by the ABs. Bascially, Carter was doing the same thing as what JJ is doing now at the same age.

(Dan Carter's first cap for the AB was in 21/06/2003 against Wales in Hamilton at 12. He was 21 years and 3 months. Carlos Spencer was the flyhalf).

Jackson has started 8 games in the Magners & 2 Heineken Cup games, but missed out on the Junior World Cup. Not too many were convinced by his performance in the Heineken Cup final - most thought it was a bit too much too soon and are relieved that he hasn't been scared for life.

He was deliberately left out of the JWC so he could play for Ulster, not because he wasn't good enough and lets not forget that it was Jackson who forced Hanrahan out to 12.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 19 Sep 2012, 8:25 am

Morgannwg wrote:
red_stag wrote:

That's crazy. The guy is a game winner. Besides there aren't any strong 10s in the squad, JJ looks good though. Munster's A team fly-half of last season also looked decent.

I think Ian Keatley and JJ Hanrahan are both very good options at 10.

They may not have the experience of ROG but the lad turns 36 years old this season.

You say he is a game winner - however I think that he has not had a single really top class performance since 2011. Lack of gametime hasn't helped him to be fair but I would definitely defintely stick with Ian Keatley as our first choice flyhalf with ROG as a backup option and develop JJ Hanrahan by giving him gametime at 12 for Munster and flyhalf for Munster A.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 19 Sep 2012, 8:49 am

Stag I have to pull you up on that one. ROG played pretty well in the 2nd test against the ABs when he came on. Leave the ROG bashing to me Smile

I rewatched the Ulster v Munster game last night and actually thought he wasn't too bad considering it was his first game back.

Keatley was excellent throughout though and although it won't happen I think Munster would be a better and more dangerous side this year if they persevere with Keatley, especially with the excellent backline they have now.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:14 am

Had genuinely forgotten the 2nd Test. Hands up - sorry to ROG.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:48 am

Munster Fans - How's Casey been going for you guys? I don't see any irish rugby unless they play a welsh region so was just wondering how he's taken to playing for Munster?

He seemed very miffed during the tail end of last season and i believe behind the scenes affairs at the blues pushed him away to the warm arms of the irish. Sad

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:52 am

Not really sure what to think about the Dragons. We were all doom and gloom before the season started. The mood lifted slightly just before the first game (as it always does with new season excitement), then we were all super confident after putting Zebre to the sword, and then we were brought back down to earth after getting a whopping by Leinster's 2nd string. And a home loss to the Blues without an LBP has brought the doom and gloom back.

However, I have been impressed with our attacking rugby (not against the Blues). Although Leinster throughly outplayed us we put together some great moves with some slick handling. Prydie and Dan Evans have been great additions and have added some much needed zip and footballing ability to the back line. Tuilagi has had a good pre-season and dropped a few lbs and has gone from 'hands like feet' to hands like....... hands! What the Dragons lacks is the ability to put it all together as a package. The best teams like Leinster seem to be able to do it, whereby the forwards are on top, the set piece is dominant, and this allows the talented backs the room and space to create. At the Dragons we only ever seem to have little 'units' that are good at any one time. At the moment our back row are a very high quality unit (Lydiate, Faletau, Evans) and our back 3 seem to be clicking. Centre looks to be coming good too with Tuiliagi and Pat Leach allowed a good run in the team. However, our front row is not a great unit (but improving), our 2nd row not that dominant. Our half backs are young and still learning the game, but I think have the potential to be very good (J Evans and Steffan Jones).

I think it will take another season for this Dragons team to come good due to the number of youngsters in key positions. However, the Dragons are always such a transient team that consistency is difficult. We struggle to keep hold of players when they come good (no complaints here - that's just life/business), and then draft in the players who either can't get game time elsewhere or are steping up form semi-pro. That then upsets the balance and the coaches need to start from scratch and we always seem to be saying that we need another year to see the best from this team! I'm not sure we'll ever get to the point where players want to play for our 'province' for life (a la Munster and Leinster) but that is what we should be striving for if we want to establish squad consistency and the benefits that entails.

I can't see past a Munster win for this game, how could you, but I'm hoping that for once all of our 'units' come together as one and give them a good game. We've beaten Munster away before.....!

Munster by 10.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:52 am

Non Munster fan here! Smile

Casey was fantastic on Friday night, Munsters standout player maybe. Put in some crunching hits and was very dangerous in attack, running strongly and making some nice offloads.

Looks a perfect fit for Munster.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:59 am

Griff,

If we get within 10 then me personally will be happy with that.

I agree that we seem to want to play, we looked good for most of the Zebre game and whilst never threatening to beat Leinster I think we showed some guts to at least make a game of it. The Blues game however was very poor.

I was always confident that Prydie would be a great asset whilst I have been impressed with Evans and Nimmo looks a good capture to, just wish we could get some decent damn props.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:00 am

rodders wrote:Non Munster fan here! Smile

Casey was fantastic on Friday night, Munsters standout player maybe. Put in some crunching hits and was very dangerous in attack, running strongly and making some nice offloads.

Looks a perfect fit for Munster.

That's what i thought you'd say Sad

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:01 am

gcBlues wrote:Munster Fans - How's Casey been going for you guys? I don't see any irish rugby unless they play a welsh region so was just wondering how he's taken to playing for Munster?

He seemed very miffed during the tail end of last season and i believe behind the scenes affairs at the blues pushed him away to the warm arms of the irish. Sad

Seems really really happy. Thats the one thing that stands out a mile. Always smiling. He is playing under his old Canterbury coach Rob Penney. Himself and Downey have been a lynchpin for our good start to the season.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:06 am

Was it his inside ball to Earls which created the try?

Put in two bone crunching hits on John Afoa and Darren Cave particularly.

A fine addition for Munster... if they can keep the scrum up and keep ROG out they might do ok this time...... Whistle .... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:03 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:
Sin é wrote:

He was deliberately left out of the JWC so he could play for Ulster, not because he wasn't good enough and lets not forget that it was Jackson who forced Hanrahan out to 12.

I made the point about Jackson missing the JWR because it would have been a great experience for him and a great boost to him after the personal disaster of the HC final. A lot of pressure is being heaped on Jackson.

Most people regard being able to play two positions equally well as a positive. Darren Cave 'forced' Keith Earls to 12 or wing when playing U20s - Earls is the one with 32 international caps, a Lions Tour & world cup under his belt.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:30 am

rodders wrote:Was it his inside ball to Earls which created the try?

Put in two bone crunching hits on John Afoa and Darren Cave particularly.

A fine addition for Munster... if they can keep the scrum up and keep ROG out they might do ok this time...... Whistle .... Run

No. the inside ball to Earls was from Hurley. Laulala was involved in the move though. The whole thing was started by Earls though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkW4yZcwVwE

Talking about bone crushing hits - Dave Kilcoyne on Afoa ... ouch!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:48 am

Ah Sin I stand corrected twice then - it was also Kilcoyne on Afoa I am thinking about. Huge hit.... almost as big as Trims on Hurley.... Smile ... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:58 am

Munster A v Connacht A

01 Dave Kilcoyne
02 Sean Henry
03 John Ryan
04 Philip Donnellan
05 Cathal O'Flaherty
06 Brian Hayes
07 Barry O'Mahony
08 Shane Buckley
09 Cathal Sheridan (capt.)
10 Scott Deasy
11 Darren Moroney
12 Cian Bohane
13 Corey Hircock
14 Ronan O'Mahony
15 Johnny Holland

16 Duncan Casey
17 James Cronin
18 Christy Condon
19 James Murphy
20 Sean Rennison
21 Neil Cronin
22 Richie Mullane
23 AN OTHER

Certainly suggests that we will see Paddy Butler, JJ Hanrahan, Danny Barnes, Ivan Dineen, Niall Ronan and Peter Stringer against the Dragons.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next