The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons v Munster

+5
Shifty
BlueMuff
thebluesmancometh
Luckless Pedestrian
Taffineastbourne
9 posters

Go down

Dragons v Munster Empty Dragons v Munster

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:14 am

Having seen the sides I reckon this could be a more entertaining game than I had expected.Both sides are fielding young talent and Chavanga is turning out for us which is a rare treat!Shame it is not on the telly as I hope for a close encounter.Hope being the operative word!! Erm

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Dragons v Munster Empty Re: Dragons v Munster

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Great to see Chav in the starting XV, but I don't hold out much hope that we'll work him into some space. But you never know! Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Not a fan of Chav, luxury player that the likes of big French and English clubs could take a punt on and work, but at the Dragons he has offered little.

Similar to Tuilagi, he was a bit of a donkey when he first arrived, out of shape, and a mess on the pitch, then he started to improve really impressed me for a while but has become stagnant and hasn't reached the required standard IMHO

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:15 pm

He hasn't 'become stagnant', he's been injured!

I imagine his tries per game ratio is pretty decent.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:He hasn't 'become stagnant', he's been injured!

I imagine his tries per game ratio is pretty decent.
His games per season ratio is not crash hot,I imagine.I have seen more of my relatives in New Zealand!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Ronan O'Mahony making his debut for Munster. Pity the game is not televised would like to see how he gets on.

Strong enough front row, hopefully Archer can continue to improve.

JJ and Cathal Sheridan could be a nice combination and could create some exciting phases of play

Overall hard one to call but should be a great match to watch.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:52 am

Kick off by Dragons, 0 mins. 0-0.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:53 am

Dragons win 30-24.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:54 am

A great discussion tonight folks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:56 am

Good win. I didn't hold out much hope, even though it was Munster A because of our backline. I gather we were very good first half, but I couldn't watch any of it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:59 am

Looks like they got a TBP though? That's a worry. Just trying to find a score breakdown now.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of discussion. That's par for the course on here now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:00 am

I was joking Rev - I posted the kickoff and final score posts at the same time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:02 am

Yes, 4 Munster tries and 2 for the Dragons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:12 am

So you did.

Good to see Wardle on the score sheet again. I like the fact that Steff has taken a DG too (though I don't know the circumstances). That isn't an option you have with Dan Evans really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:19 am

He does get a fair few DGs does Steff.

Wardle has gone under my radar a bit. What's his story?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:29 am

Ex League player who has come up from Bedwas. Think his preferred position is 13, but we've been using him on the wing.

I just read the scoring pattern. Didn't realise we fell behind 22-24. Good character to win from that. Very pleased. Pretty good attendance too for a nothing game v Munster A. Very positive evening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:37 am

Yep, and I'm enthused about the new signings, even if they are punts. Hoping we can strengthen more for next season and push on (always a big hope!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 am

Happy with the result which I felt might have gone the other way.I just hope that Lydiate found a bit of form and fitness.Still don't think he's ready for the Lions,I would hate it if he went and was not right.He has one more chance to shine.
Head to head with our fellow strugglers next week.Hope we can get near to full strength side.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:08 am

Taff, Dan was much more prominent second half, chopping Munster players down. Toby had a great second half too, he created Ross Wardle's try. Lewis Robling looks much more convincing in midfield than he ever has at outside half, he looked really sharp. Steffan ran the show pretty well, his kicking out of hand was good - and his drop goal was really good play because we'd just kick ed a penalty to touch and knocked on from the line out.

Munster came back well and there was a huge pile-up after CJ Stander's try - all 30 players were involved but I didn't see what caused it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:13 am

There was a great ovation for Steve Jones as he walked round the pitch at half time, he looked quite touched by it. Good crowd too.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:20 am

My only gripe with doing things at halftime is watching the Dragons, you have to go for a smoke at HT, as it's never easy Laugh I would probably prefer things to be done as close to kickoff as possible, to really whip the crowd up (not that we generally need it) and to ensure the maximum number of supporters can contribute.

But I am delighted a great servant has got a good send off and I am really happy with the crowd turnout for what was a nothing game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:35 am

You should power-smoke like me Rev, I didn't miss a thing!

I have to say again how impressed I was with Robling in midfield. He wasn't just running into contact or shipping it on, he was drawing defenders every time. Two other s who had a good game were Rob Sidoli and Aaron Coundley.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:07 am

Great game of rugby, and great conditions too. It got very cold in the last 15 minutes of the game.

I have to say the Dragons fans are far and away the best in Wales. Always supporting and encouraging their players, even when their as shocking as they are.

Munster started well, but the Dragons got control of the game after 15 minutes and really started to dominate and rack up points, going into half time I really expected the Dragons to get a minimum of 40 points. they really were all over Munster.

I guess in the second half the Dragons forgot to turn up, and got complacement, and Munster maybe realised they were going to on the end of a real hiding if they didnt shape up fast.
Munster got 3 fairly quick tries to get right back into it, and ahead at one point, but Toby woke the Dragons up and set up a try streight after Munster got the lead.

It was nice to see a few Munster fans there, and I even got talking to a hot little burnette and her blond friend on the way to the ground, they had free tickets and were going to see their first rugby game. I was quite tempted to go in the bisley stand and try and get the burnettes number, but in all honestly I really wanted to sit in the Hazell and enjoy the atmosphere.

They were asking me for directions and where to get their tickets from etc, and I had to struggle to rememeber because I havent been there this season. Last season I was there quite a lot.

It looked a big crowd tonight, not too many spaces about either.

Great game of rugby and very entertaining game, in good conditions. Hug

Anything to get me away form an Ospreys V Glasgow game!
there is no way I could sit through another onf of those after all the recent ones I have had to endure. Dragons v Munster 3933776953
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:37 am

I've heard of a few new people there tonight. Clearly there was, as it's up on our usual sort of gate by about 1-2000 (probably nearer the two). That's the only way we can attract new supporters really (and keep persuading people to renew etc), is with our atmosphere and so it's good to hear it was good. I really miss being on the terrace when it is rocking.

Munster are a great travelling crowd of course, so that helps.

I really am so pleased to hear of our new centre partnership going well enough by the sounds. I think most people would prefer Robling at 12 and he now has an opportunity to make the shirt his own. I don't expect too much up in Edinburgh, but we don't have too bad a record up there and it would be nice to end this awful season on a high note and then see what the summer brings with a few possible coaching changes (Appleyard has to go really, after another four tries shipped) and players who will hopefully add to and increase competition in our squad, so the likes of Jonny Evs, Steff, Shanksy and our front row know they have to perform.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:07 am

Just got in (had to drop nephew back to Cardiff)

Have to say a big thank you to the Dragons players for making the game very interesting second half, plenty to chant and sing about, and Wardles try with about 10 to go was right in front of us, great bunch of people around, and even had fun when the announcer said there was a missing child in the shop safe!!!

Finally a positive experience for the nephew.

RE the game, first 10-15 all Munster, Dragons had to defend hard then went up to the 22 and scored twice in succesion, Chavanga gave away a dopey try from a cross field kick dropping in behind him that he slapped over his own goal line (he was constantly out of position to receive kicks too)

From the Munster try it was all Dragons, tight 5 fronted up, Toby and Coombes were excellent, Lydiate got stronger too, Stef looked very good at times, DG was a nice touch and try was good (despite Chavanga doing everything he could to ruin it), Prydies Goal kicking was top, he missed one that rebounded off the post.

10 minutes into the 2nd half and at 22 - 5 up I thought the Dragons had done enough, apparently so did they, and with Varley yellow carded Munster took total control, the changes up front for the Dragons clearly didn't work.

At this point Falatau, Coombes and Lydiate all tackled their nodes off.

As Munster put pressure on Dragons though the kicking game fell to peices, Prydie, Robling and Steff just kicked long and in feild and 2 tries came directly from these kicks.

Some big notices about the Dragons though, Munster were offered easy yardage in the wider channells, Lydiate led the defencive line, yet at times most players were hesitant and Lydiate was left exposed now and then, Munster kept running the back door pass scenario and it was so easy to make ground out wide, Falatau and Lydiates line speed and thought were 5 seconds quicker than every other Dragons player, they weren't well drilled at all.

All in all though good 7.5k crowd with very little away support, good atmosphere, lovely weather, plenty of tries and a hoe win with the winning try scored right in front of us, couldn't ask for anything more OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:26 am

They never seem a drilled defensive unit, which is why Appleyard should not be in a job for too much longer. I don't know who could take over, but Colin Charvis had us fronting up constantly, so it can be done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Taff, Dan was much more prominent second half, chopping Munster players down. Toby had a great second half too, he created Ross Wardle's try. Lewis Robling looks much more convincing in midfield than he ever has at outside half, he looked really sharp. Steffan ran the show pretty well, his kicking out of hand was good - and his drop goal was really good play because we'd just kick ed a penalty to touch and knocked on from the line out.

Munster came back well and there was a huge pile-up after CJ Stander's try - all 30 players were involved but I didn't see what caused it.
Many thanks Ale

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:21 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Just got in (had to drop nephew back to Cardiff)

Have to say a big thank you to the Dragons players for making the game very interesting second half, plenty to chant and sing about, and Wardles try with about 10 to go was right in front of us, great bunch of people around, and even had fun when the announcer said there was a missing child in the shop safe!!!

Finally a positive experience for the nephew.

RE the game, first 10-15 all Munster, Dragons had to defend hard then went up to the 22 and scored twice in succesion, Chavanga gave away a dopey try from a cross field kick dropping in behind him that he slapped over his own goal line (he was constantly out of position to receive kicks too)

From the Munster try it was all Dragons, tight 5 fronted up, Toby and Coombes were excellent, Lydiate got stronger too, Stef looked very good at times, DG was a nice touch and try was good (despite Chavanga doing everything he could to ruin it), Prydies Goal kicking was top, he missed one that rebounded off the post.

10 minutes into the 2nd half and at 22 - 5 up I thought the Dragons had done enough, apparently so did they, and with Varley yellow carded Munster took total control, the changes up front for the Dragons clearly didn't work.

At this point Falatau, Coombes and Lydiate all tackled their nodes off.

As Munster put pressure on Dragons though the kicking game fell to peices, Prydie, Robling and Steff just kicked long and in feild and 2 tries came directly from these kicks.

Some big notices about the Dragons though, Munster were offered easy yardage in the wider channells, Lydiate led the defencive line, yet at times most players were hesitant and Lydiate was left exposed now and then, Munster kept running the back door pass scenario and it was so easy to make ground out wide, Falatau and Lydiates line speed and thought were 5 seconds quicker than every other Dragons player, they weren't well drilled at all.

All in all though good 7.5k crowd with very little away support, good atmosphere, lovely weather, plenty of tries and a hoe win with the winning try scored right in front of us, couldn't ask for anything more OK
Many thanks Ale

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:47 am

Yeah I did read that dragons conceded 4 tries. The defence coach must be pretty amateur going just by this season alone.

Also did anyone catch scrum v? It seems that Lydiate is another to turn his nose up at the dragons. Hopefully Toby stays on which gives them even more good back row options for the coming seasons.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:52 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:You should power-smoke like me Rev, I didn't miss a thing!

I have to say again how impressed I was with Robling in midfield. He wasn't just running into contact or shipping it on, he was drawing defenders every time. Two other s who had a good game were Rob Sidoli and Aaron Coundley.

He is definitely better there at 12 than at 10 and free of kicking duties. Dixon and leach looked pretty good to me. Nice to hear that those other 2 showed up well Luckless. Coundley has looked pretty strong in his past few games, he has certainly progressed further than Buck and at a faster rate. I rate Sidoli too, he gives his all in every single game and is a big, solid unit. He definitely has plenty of gas left in the tank!

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:38 pm

mikey_philVIII wrote:Yeah I did read that dragons conceded 4 tries. The defence coach must be pretty amateur going just by this season alone.

Also did anyone catch scrum v? It seems that Lydiate is another to turn his nose up at the dragons. Hopefully Toby stays on which gives them even more good back row options for the coming seasons.

I can't watch Scrum V, but I am a bit disappointed in Lydiate going to France, after his "treat you like a piece of meat" talk. That said I would be pretty annoyed if he went to another region from us.

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:52 am

Still not convinced he's going to France Rev - not long to wait until we find out!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:24 pm

dragon999 wrote:Still not convinced he's going to France Rev - not long to wait until we find out!

They keep saying in the WM he is off to Racing Metro but Dan has managed to keep it very quiet. Like you I think he may stay in Wales as all the three other regions have good training facilities, grounds (Blues have gone backwards regarding the ground) and medical facilities also he improves his international ambitions. If Dan does not play for Wales he will be losing out on quite a bit of cash and the tax rate in France is very high.
Good luck to him whatever he does, a really nice guy.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Dragons new training facility scheduled to be on line fairly soon at Ystrad Mynach ( alledgedly )

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

If Dan does end up at another region, I'll want to know where they found the money to sign him - whether the WRU lent them any, which they could have lent us to keep him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:24 pm

They are hopefuly building an artificial training pitch where the bowls club currently is too.

There is also rumour that the North Terrace will get a partial roof - they are moving the one from County's old Spytty ground
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:24 pm

I thought Dan was definately going to Racing with Doc ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:25 pm

munkian wrote:I thought Dan was definately going to Racing with Doc ?
So did I. Headscratch

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down