The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the son of the father

+2
Aaronb33
Mr Video Man
6 posters

Go down

the son of the father Empty the son of the father

Post by Mr Video Man Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:35 pm

do you think that wrestlers who are the sons of a legend in wrestling can really have any chance of becoming a legend or a great wrestler? i think once you see a 2nd or third generation wrestler they straight away get compared to their dad.....e.g what is cody rhodes? ok he's the son of the son of a common man what else is he? he has no distinct gimmick that seperates him he is very generic when he comes out on the ramp you just think...oh its dustys son. erm ok then. the same with ritchie steamboat who i have been watching on nxt i only think of him as the son of a dragon. he also doesnt have anything to make him standout he's just another guy. whereas their fathers had distinct gimmicks which made you recognise them years later after they retired or took another job in the buisness even if you never saw them wrestle in their hayday. whereas if cody or ritchie carry on like they are now then in 10 years or whatever it is people will wonder who they are.......the only exception to this rule i can think of is the rock.....thats it. why do you guys/girls think that 2nd or 3rd generation wrestlers aren't as memorable as their fathers in the buisness?
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

the son of the father Empty Re: the son of the father

Post by Aaronb33 Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:50 pm

Randy Orton's dad is Bob Orton. He was a massive name back in the day, and some would definitely consider him a legend, but I'd say Randy will most likely go down in the books as a much bigger name than his father.

The Von Erichs' father was Fritz. Again, a legend whose kids were even bigger than he was.

Bullet Bob Armstrong, Road Dogg...same story.

Then there's the Guerreros, the Malenkos, the Funks, Johnny/Greg Valentine, Grizzly Smith/Jake Roberts, Blackjack Mulligan/Barry Windham, Stu Hart/Bret and Owen Hart.

I think if someone's going to make it as a top guy, they will do regardless of who their father is.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 28 Sep 2012, 10:54 pm

Randy Savage and Mr Perfect was always known as 2nd Gen as was Bret Hart, the difference with these guys is that they had real characters that they actually believed in, they also had personalities that where a good fit with what they where portraying

Being the son of a Wrestler shouldn't hinder anyone, it should give you a better prespective and a heads up on those who are going in blind, the problem is the lack of imagination not the fact they're 2nd/3rd gen

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 28 Sep 2012, 11:52 pm

Cody Rhodes' lack of success up to this point has nothing to do with being a second generation wrestler, it's to do with WWE creative having very little intelligence. He was one of the most popular guys just a few months ago, good in the ring and with an interesting character. He's so different to his dad that the comparisons aren't really there.

Ted Dibiase was hindered though by his father's position, I think this is for a few reasons. One the Million Dollar Man, because of a lot more appearances in modern day WWE is much more familiar to fans than a lot of other legends, such as Dusty Rhodes. Two, they have the same name which is always going to be a struggle as he's always the 'other one', they changed the name of Joe Hennig despite most knowing Curt Hennig as Mr. Perfect, so why they would keep it as Ted Dibiase is a bit odd, they should have at least given him a different first name. Third, they keep trying to use him in a similar vein to his dad, with the million dollar belt and being a privileged son. I think they should have always brought him as a face, and have him as a rebel to his dad's money, saying he doesn't want it as he wants to establish himself for himself, he doesn't want his dad's money or dad's wrestling influence. I doubt he has the charisma to pull if off though to be fair.

I think it'll hold them back a little bit, but if they are good enough they'll break away.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 29 Sep 2012, 12:03 am

I always felt Ted Jr should have been brought in with the exact same gimmick as his dad, Ted Snr was a super rich jackass who used money as his power, people did what he wanted them to do when he wanted them to do it, for me there is no better logic than to believe that Ted Jr would be a chip off the old block, he'd know no better, that's how he'd been brought up, he saw how his did used money to manipulate people to his advantage and being his idol he'd want to emulate his father

That's just me though

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 12:35 am

Kay Fabe wrote:I always felt Ted Jr should have been brought in with the exact same gimmick as his dad, Ted Snr was a super rich jackass who used money as his power, people did what he wanted them to do when he wanted them to do it, for me there is no better logic than to believe that Ted Jr would be a chip off the old block, he'd know no better, that's how he'd been brought up, he saw how his did used money to manipulate people to his advantage and being his idol he'd want to emulate his father

That's just me though

But he simply doesn't have the same charisma as his father, and it'd be a very poor rip off.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 29 Sep 2012, 2:18 am

It wouldn't be a rip off, it'd be a basic continuation of a well known family, as for the Charisma aspect of things, tell me, if you believe that he is so lacking in that department then why do you think he should be a face when he'd need to rely far more heavily on his Charisma if he had any real hope of getting over?

For the record I actually think Ted Jr does have decent charisma he just doesn't have a natural way of displaying it everything so far about his character has been so black and white.

Lets take a look at his old man, how do we know he was charasmatic? It was because he was given ample opportunity to showcase it, it was all the segments, the outfits, Virgil, the entire gimmick, buying people, buying Rumble entries, the actual in ring part of it was only a small part of the entire package, fast forward, what has Ted Jr done on TV apart from Wrestle?

If we only ever got to see Ted Snr wrestle I doubt as many would wax lyrical about him the way they do

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz NG Sat 29 Sep 2012, 3:57 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Rock yet, a 3rd generation wrestler who has more than surpassed what is father and grandfather had achieved.

If the Rock was ever to have a son, then it would be interesting to see what Rock jnr would be able to achieve, assuming he went into wrestling.

Miz NG

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:55 pm

Miz NG wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Rock yet, a 3rd generation wrestler who has more than surpassed what is father and grandfather had achieved.

If the Rock was ever to have a son, then it would be interesting to see what Rock jnr would be able to achieve, assuming he went into wrestling.

I dunno Peter Maivia was a 2x NWA Australasian Heavyweight Champion, those are pretty big shoes to fill

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down