The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who from your region do you think should make the Welsh Squad...???

+11
glamorganalun
gavstar
Casartelli
red_stag
Smirnoffpriest
Luckless Pedestrian
bedfordwelsh
thebluesmancometh
youngguns6
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who from your region do you think should make the Welsh Squad...??? Empty Who from your region do you think should make the Welsh Squad...???

Post by maestegmafia Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:55 am

Howley will name the squad on the 23rd of October. In advance of this there will be a trip to spala again for the lads to chill their boots.

So, who from your region do you think should make the squad? Who has played well so far for your team...???

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat 29 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who from your region do you think should make the Welsh Squad...??? Empty Re: Who from your region do you think should make the Welsh Squad...???

Post by maestegmafia Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:59 am

Ospreys

Ryan Bevington
Richard Hibbard
Scot Baldwin
AWJ
Ian Evans
Ryan Jones
Tuperic
Ashley Beck

Maybe the following if they show the better side of their form more consistently

Rhys Webb
Dan Biggar

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who from your region do you think should make the Welsh Squad...??? Empty Re: Who from your region do you think should make the Welsh Squad...???

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 12:33 pm

Our most consistent performer has been Dan Evans.

I'd go

Lydiate (before his unfortunate injury)
Faletau
Dan Evs

Then there's a case that could be made for Steff, Prydie, Jon Evans, Adam Hughes and maybe Lewi Sevens as possibles.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 29 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm

Some good calls their rev.

I would have Steffan jones in over Biggar. I would have thought Prydie had done enough too

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 29 Sep 2012, 1:12 pm

The ones who I feel will get selected are Toby Faletau, Tom Prydie, and it would have been Lydiate before his ankle break.

The others who are on form and in with a good chance are Jonathan Evans, Steffan Jones, Dan Evans. Nobody in the front 5 anywhere near selection, goes to show how backwards Dragons have gone in that area.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Sat 29 Sep 2012, 1:20 pm

In fairness we've gone backwards because our best players leave for more money or in burns case had to retire.

Can't really disagree with the already mentioned dragons. Toby is a certain choice and Dan Evans should get a squad place.
I dont think Hughes will make the squad yet as he's missed a few games and he's not nailed back on at 13 yet.

I'd love Jonny n Steffan to get a call up although it would weaken us. Can't see Lewis E getting in. To many other 7's playing well.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 29 Sep 2012, 1:27 pm

Form is certainly the key word in the selection shake up.

At the end of last season I would have selected a large majority of the ospreys. But this season it's Scarlets who have been the better team and likely to make up a large part of the squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 29 Sep 2012, 2:26 pm

I'd agree with Falatau, but I'd say Evans and Prydie are on the outskirts of selection at present, although it may depend on 1/2p being back.

Baldwin is nowhere near the squad (yet) and at present I'd be surprised if Bevington or Beck make it on their opening form.

From the Blues = 1/2p, Cuthbert, Roberts, Warbs and Bradley Davies are shoe ins, them aside I would be very surprised if anyone else get a call up, Robinson needs much more gametime at regional level let alone int, Williams should be sacked from regional level, and the less said about the rest of the pack the better.

I have a wierd feeling though that Tom James may be given another shot, and the coaching staff do have a tendancy to call players up after 1 or 2 decent performances so maybe Patchell has half a chance.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:30 pm

Technically Phil Price could turn into a possible. Pretty similar to Bevington and though our scrum is obviously considered toilet, it isn't his side that's the problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:47 pm

Dragons:- With Lydiates unfortunate injury I think only two will make the squad

T Faletau
T Prydie

However I would like to see Phil Price given a shot
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:50 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Technically Phil Price could turn into a possible. Pretty similar to Bevington and though our scrum is obviously considered toilet, it isn't his side that's the problem.

And that strikes me as odd when you have someone over 20st on the TH. Is there such a thing as being too tall for a front row forward?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:17 am

Watching that Ospreys win over munster I would say if they put a few more performances like that in then they might supply a few more players than i mentioned above.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:18 am

Like?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:24 am

Certainly happy to see how well the young front rowers Jarvis, Baldwin and Bevington did. Great to see the shaggy locks of Duncs and adam too...

But mostly AWJ and Ian Evans work at the line out was superb, and against a very good Munster line out.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Oct 2012, 8:34 am

I never thought I'd say this, but Dan Biggar has to start at outside half for Wales. No other Welsh outside half is playing as well, certainly no one playing in Wales. If Leigh Halfpenny isn't fit then he should be doubly nailed-on to start - his goal kicking is superb. Steffan Jones is one for the future and it would be good to see him brought into the squad even if it's just for training.

Speaking of Halfpenny, I would love to see Dan Evans given a go at full back. I really like Liam Williams and he's brave as hell, but Dan Evans has a fantastic kicking game as well as being a silky runner. I've been so impressed with him this season.

Also, he's a very different player to Dan Lydiate, but I'd have Aaron Shingler at blindside. I heard Dr Gwyn talking about us playing two opensides and I think that's a terrible idea. Face facts, Gwyn, if Warburton's not playing as well as Tipuric then he'll have to take a seat on the bench. He isn't so important to us that we have to find a place for him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 01 Oct 2012, 9:39 am

By Morgannwgs law, as a Scarlets fan I'm duty bound to say ALL of the Scarlets players (particularly Knoyle) as their all amazing! Laugh

But I'd say
Owens
Rees
Knoyle (way behind Phillips, but better than Lloyd and playing better than Webb - Evans seems to be playing the best but can't see them going for him)
Priestland
JD2
S Williams
North
Liam Williams
Shingler (outside bet)

I'd like to see Kelly and Jordan Williams in the summer tour to N America, and I assume Rhodri will be called up to the full team - regardless of fitness/form

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Oct 2012, 9:48 am

I think Shingler will definitely be in as a back rower, he has progressed so rapidly over the last 18 months. I seriously rate him now.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Oct 2012, 9:57 am

Assuming you have a Welsh squad of 32 I would be suggesting the following from the outside looking in:

01 Rhys Gill - - Plays Abroad
02 Matthew Rees - Scarlets
03 Adam Jones - Ospreys
04 Alun Wyn Jones - Ospreys
05 Ian Evans - Ospreys
06 Sam Warburton - Cardiff
07 Justin Tipuric - Ospreys
08 Toby Falatau - Dragons
09 Tavis Knoyle - Scarlets
10 Rhys Priestland - Scarlets
11 George North - Scarlets
12 Jamie Roberts - Cardiff
13 Jonathan Davies - Scarlets
14 Alex Cuthbert - Cardiff
15 Leigh Halfpenny - Cardiff
16 Ken Owens - Scarlets
17 Gethin Jenkins - Plays Abroad
18 Rhodri Jones - Scarlets
19 Bradley Davies - Cardiff
20 Ryan Jones - Ospreys
21 Rhys Webb - Ospreys
22 Dan Biggar - Ospreys
23 Scott Williams - Scarlets
24 Richard Hibbard - Ospreys
25 John Yapp - Plays Abroad
26 Aaron Jarvis - Ospreys
27 Luke Charteris - Plays Abroad
28 Aaron Shingler - Scarlets
29 Mike Phillips - Plays Abroad
30 James Hook - Plays Abroad
31 Ashley Beck - Ospreys
32 Liam Williams - Scarlets

I think Tovey and Lydiate would definitely be there if they were fit. There may be other guys injured that I didnt know of.

Given that this is about which region the players are from:

Ospreys: 10 players
Cardiff: 5 players
Dragons: 1 player
Scarlets: 10 players
Abroad: 6 players
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:04 am

John Yapp will never be in another Wales squad IMO, and despite how well/not he's doing at 'Burgh he's not up to international standard.

I think your squad is pretty close - though I thought it was a given Lydiate would be fit for the internationals? And of course people will always argue about the starting/bench positions out of the 32.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:08 am

Who would be in there instead of Yapp? Would Duncan Jones or Paul James get the call up?

The one that interests me most is scrumhalf. I think Knoyle is a cracking little player and I was tempted to include Lloyd Williams over Phillips but think that he will get in and probably start. In fact Knoyle will probably be the one who fails to make it.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:14 am

Definately James - he's miles ahead, and is probably ahead of Gill in Gats/Howleys mind.

I agree about Knoyle, but feel Phillips is def No1. Agree with you about Lloyd though, he'll almost def be in the squad (for some reason), and it'll be Knoyle to miss out and Webb get the last spot.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:15 am

Jees Stag you put some effort in there. Good work.

I'd say Yapp is about sixth choice at Loosehead. Gethin and James are first choice, Bevington the up and coming lad. Had a great game on the weekend against your lads. Duncan Jones is a great option too, he has had awful trouble with a foot injury for four years but after taking plenty of time out last year and earlier this he has made a good recovery and is on top form...

Scrumhalf Phillips will be first choice, hopefully if Bayonne throw him out he can head straight to the Vale and start training now for all four tests and he can pick up a lucrative contract at london Welsh in the next few months.

Behind Phillips I agree that Knoyle is the best choice but we have a lot of lads pushing but not really getting their heads above each other... That said when they are good they are very good and when they are bad they are just average. Lloyd Williams blues, John Evans Dragons, Rhys Webb Ospreys, Gareth Davies Scarlets. Plus Richie Rees up in Edinburgh...

Plenty to go for

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:25 am

I can see Phillips being left out of the squad. They gave him a warning about his off-field conduct and he's let them down.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:26 am

Ah Bevington I forgot about him. Ditto with Richie Rees. OK

Maesteg - wasnt that much effort. Its just a case of:

- Name your starting XV
- Name your bench
- Name a backup hooker, loose and tight head prop, lock, backrow, scrumhalf, flyhalf, centre and outside back.

You got a squad in no time at all. I find most international squads take that form with some utility guys covering a few positions.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:27 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I can see Phillips being left out of the squad. They gave him a warning about his off-field conduct and he's let them down.

I think your better off.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Oct 2012, 11:11 am

red_stag wrote:Ah Bevington I forgot about him. Ditto with Richie Rees. OK

Maesteg - wasnt that much effort. Its just a case of:

- Name your starting XV
- Name your bench
- Name a backup hooker, loose and tight head prop, lock, backrow, scrumhalf, flyhalf, centre and outside back.

You got a squad in no time at all. I find most international squads take that form with some utility guys covering a few positions.

Aye but it was the lovely shading that really made it special mate..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Oct 2012, 11:14 am

If I put thought into it I would have separate colours for Sarries, Perpignan, Bayonne, Edinburgh, Toulon etc.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Oct 2012, 11:18 am

Now that really would be spoiling us! Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 01 Oct 2012, 11:30 am

The quality gap between test rugby and the Rabo is so wide that league form is almost irrelevant.

Now we've developed a successful tactic around kick/chase/defend, a 'conservative gameplan', there are unlikely to be any selection surprises. Gatland will tell Howley to pick those who are proven internationals, regardless of form, off field discipline problems or demotion to bench warming duties in France.

Fairly sure Tavis Knoyle will never make the grade. I know he looks the part but absence of pace and complete lack of hand-eye co-ordination are serious handicaps for a scrum half at test level. I'd love to see him overcome them, obviously, but just don't see it ever happening.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Mon 01 Oct 2012, 2:57 pm

I always said Biggar would be our 10 and keep the shirt once he had it , his time has come. stefan---future maybe, priestland--would the real one stand up!!! where is he?

Biggar is way out front. I do get the feeling that a lot of people are short on praise for him, outstanding Saturday.

It's all very well some saying he must be consistent, yeah, that goes for all the other 10's too!!! He must have been consistent last season to be the top kicker. Didn't hear much made about that either by the ones who just dont like the guy;its rugby, he's a player , best at 10.

As I have said before , choose whats best for Wales, it's not a popularity contest.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:38 pm

gavstar wrote:I always said Biggar would be our 10 and keep the shirt once he had it , his time has come. stefan---future maybe, priestland--would the real one stand up!!! where is he?

Biggar is way out front. I do get the feeling that a lot of people are short on praise for him, outstanding Saturday.

It's all very well some saying he must be consistent, yeah, that goes for all the other 10's too!!! He must have been consistent last season to be the top kicker. Didn't hear much made about that either by the ones who just dont like the guy;its rugby, he's a player , best at 10.

As I have said before , choose whats best for Wales, it's not a popularity contest.

Got to say there should be a really good battle coming up.

I really wish young Tovey could stay fit for a few games... His best run is probably only four games uninjured in three or four season. Poor lad.

Biggar was great against Munster, and Scarlets. Poor in all previous matches.

Priestland has not been poor, he's been very good in parts but can't get the ball between the posts for love nor money this season.

Steffan Jones looks sublime but is still learning the craft, he deserves a shot at it though as does Patchel, (when fit again).

Nicky Robinson, Stephen Jones both playing well at Wasps too... We are hardly hard up as tens go.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:39 pm

If you have Halfpenny I would go with Priestland.

If not then Dan Biggar.

Has Stephen Jones retired internationally now he is at Wasps?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:51 pm

Nope, Stephen Jones hasn't retired from international rugby.

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:52 pm

Is he better than Biggar and Priestland and Tovey.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:54 pm

Not sure, I know his kicking percentages have been superb so far this season (although he hasn't played too much), would have to ask Wasps fans how his form has been. I would say he is better than Tovey, and more reliable at international level than Biggar. Think Wales' style of play suits Priestland the best though (if 1/2p is fit).

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Oct 2012, 4:01 pm

Considering the IRB rankings relevance to the AIs we need the best guy for the job. To be honest I watched the Top14 and Hook looks very good.

Wellies is reliable and looks great in the premiership but he looked stodgey and slow for Scarlets much of last year...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 01 Oct 2012, 5:37 pm

The one player missed from thee Osprey's is Ryan Jones, outstanding all last year and so far this season coming back from surgery. There is a case for Bearman he is Welsh qualified and playing very well and not injured (I know he is getting on a bit). I would have any flyhalf ahead of Preistland at the moment, if it is a drop goal we need he will miss, if it is to kick to touch at the end of a game he will kick down the throat of a wing or take the wrong option he will take it and not to mention kicking at goal.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 01 Oct 2012, 8:17 pm

I think Bearman would be seen as a backwards step but agree anyone bar Priestland.

All you can do is ask players to perform week in week out for the Region/Club and currently Biggar is doing that so the guy deserves a dece nt crack.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Oct 2012, 9:08 pm

I don't think there is such a thing as a right or wrong player due to age if our ambition is to be in the top four come December. Like the RWC the most important thing is to get the job done.

That said, in recent times, youth players are certainly not letting Wales down infant their youthful exuberance has been the life blood of so much that is good about welsh rugby.

I would rather see Shingler than Bearman, little between them talent wise and Shingler is young and Welsh.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 02 Oct 2012, 2:24 pm

At least Bearman is still in Wales unlike Charteris and we know he is on good form. I am not a great fan of picking non Welsh players but it is difficult with EU players working in Wales.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 02 Oct 2012, 2:59 pm

Rees? He is playing and playing well for my region ( Edinburgh) and is welsh IIRC Whistle

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 02 Oct 2012, 3:00 pm

glamorganalun wrote:At least Bearman is still in Wales unlike Charteris

What does Luke Charteris playing in France have to do with whether Joe Bearman should be selected? Headscratch

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Oct 2012, 3:23 pm

TJ wrote:Rees? He is playing and playing well for my region ( Edinburgh) and is welsh IIRC Whistle
Rees is doing well at Edinburgh but I feel his skill set is limited to a quick pass and little more. We need a more rounded scrum half to take pressure off the young inexperienced international flyhalfs we have on offer for Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 02 Oct 2012, 3:47 pm

TJ wrote:Rees? He is playing and playing well for my region ( Edinburgh) and is welsh IIRC Whistle

I agree, when he is behind a pack that holds it's own he is as good as anyone, he outplayed Williams playing for the BaaBaas against a Wales select team but Williams still went to Aust! Edinburgh picked up a very good scrum half for this season as seen at Cardiff in the RABO.

For some reason Rees will not get picked just like Peel, they probably told Gatland where to go, who knows?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Tue 02 Oct 2012, 4:37 pm

Thought it wouldnt be long before hooky (maes) got a mention.
I dont think we've got any chance of him as first choice 10.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 02 Oct 2012, 5:12 pm

glamorganalun wrote:

I agree, when he is behind a pack that holds it's own he is as good as anyone, he outplayed Williams playing for the BaaBaas against a Wales select team but Williams still went to Aust! Edinburgh picked up a very good scrum half for this season as seen at Cardiff in the RABO.

For some reason Rees will not get picked just like Peel, they probably told Gatland where to go, who knows?

Because Peel is past it. Rees and Roberts were 2 good scrum halves that left Wales because they were ousted by younger players for no more than political reasons, (L. Williams and T. Knoyle).
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 02 Oct 2012, 6:32 pm

Wot political reasons was roberts forced out of the scarlets?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 02 Oct 2012, 6:54 pm

Only Scarlets know. But you can put it this way, he wasn't forced out by a better player.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Tue 02 Oct 2012, 7:00 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Only Scarlets know. But you can put it this way, he wasn't forced out by a better player.
Neither was Rees.
Edinburghs gain, Blues loss !

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 02 Oct 2012, 7:09 pm

And that was my point(s) Jane.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next