The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No tribute for Frankel and Cecil?

2 posters

Go down

No tribute for Frankel and Cecil? Empty No tribute for Frankel and Cecil?

Post by time please Sun 21 Oct 2012, 9:50 pm

Can't believe that there is no tribute thread for Frankel after his swan song!

Privileged to be at Ascot yesterday to see the great colt come through against an awful start and having to fly through the worst of the mud in Swinley bottom to catch the field. It may not have been the customary destruction of the field in terms of lengths ahead at the winning post, but it was one of his most extraordinary victories after literally being left behind at the beginning. I think Excelebrations' victory in the Queen Elizabeth II stakes just before Frankel's race really underlined the latter's uniqueness - to see such a wonderful horse like Excelebration outclass a classy field, and to realise that he has been left for dead by Frankel so many times was to appreciate that the Cecil colt really is worthy of all the plaudits.

Lovely that Henry Cecil has managed to train the colt to the end of his racing career - he is a wonderful gentleman and a brilliant trainer - I hope very much that he can come through this awful illness and continue to grace the turf for years to come.

time please

Back to top Go down

No tribute for Frankel and Cecil? Empty Re: No tribute for Frankel and Cecil?

Post by Guest Wed 24 Oct 2012, 11:11 am

A friend of mine was saying that the reason they have retired Frankel is because Cecil won't be around much longer and it would be a fitting tribute.

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Wed 24 Oct 2012, 12:57 pm

Seems slightly more than a coincidence that Cecils book has been put back again until next Spring and Frankel is retired shortly after.Wouldnt suprise me if Sir Henry called time on his career at seasons end,he is very obviously ailing badly and it would be fitting that he and his beloved Frankel bow out as one.Two absolute giants of this and any other racing era.

As for Frankels finale and the aftermath that goes with it,it will rumble on for time inperpertuaty.Everyone has their own ideas as to his relative merit,mine is that his is EASILY the best miler ive seen,that alone would place him in the best handful since the War and the manner of his victory in Yorks Juddmonte was EASILY the best dismissing of any Group One field that ive ever witnessed.He picked that field up in a dozen strides and went away from them like they were selling platers.The race before his swansong told you everything that you needed to know,a horse he was wringing out like a damp cloth on numerous occasions proceeded to hose up from the best of the rest,Frankels collateral form over a mile will stand the closest of inspections.The Champion Stakes win was workmanlike but nevertheless clear cut,to beat two Group One yardsticks like he did was noteworthy particularly after he fluffed his lines at the start,i do believe that too many people anticipated a demolition job and when that didnt actually happen they thought the whole thing slightly anticlimatic but anyone with racing nous knows that a win in any Group One by 2l and the same is commendable form particularly against horses who have proven their own worth in such events.
Its my opinion that he ticks ever box required to be classed as great,whether hes the greatest ever its almost impossible to tell but his place at the top table,at the highest echelon of equine achievement is without doubt.Frankel will be talked about long after you and i have gone of this Earth.His 2000 Guineas triumph will live long in my memory and when the name Frankel is mentioned it will quicken the blood.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down