The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield

+78
ironrobson21
clivemcl
yappysnap
LondonTiger
whocares
mattygoat
Pot Hale
RogerLewis
wales606
nathan
Notch
thebluesmancometh
EnglishReign
eirebilly
KickAndChase
Cari
Duty281
alive555
Impossible Standards
mystiroakey
kingjohn7
Morgannwg
EST
RubyGuby
emack2
anotherworldofpain
lostinwales
Tattie Scones RRN
Hound_of_Harrow
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ghad
IanBru
NeilyBroon
Biltong
justified sinner
caz
TJ1
Rugby Fan
Dorothy_Mantooth
UlstermaninGlasgow
R!skysports
gregortree
jimbopip
ChequeredJersey
George Carlin
MacKnocked-on
beshocked
nganboy
westisbest
Taylorman
blackcanelion
reallybored
Cryptoyourisan
sensisball
Captain_Sensible
tigertattie
GLove39
Scot Abroad
Pat_Mustard
EWT Spoons
aucklandlaurie
SlipperyAsAWetTrout
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Tramptastic
21st Century Schizoid Man
bsando
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
kiakahaaotearoa
Manky-Flanker
Looseheaded
nickj
bluestonevedder
Majestic83
RuggerRadge2611
RDW
disneychilly
cp10
82 posters

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield - Page 9 Empty Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield

Post by cp10 Wed 24 Oct 2012, 10:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland team:

Backs: S Hogg, S Lamont, N De Luca, M Scott, T Visser, G Laidlaw, M Blair

Forwards: Grant, Ford, Cross, Gray, Hamilton, Strokosch, Rennie, Brown (capt).

Subs: S Lawson, A Jacobsen, K Traynor, A Kellock, D Denton, H Pyrgos, R Jackson, M Evans

All Black squad :

15 - Israel Dagg
14 - Cory Jane
13 - Ben Smith
12 - Tamati Ellison
11 - Julian Savea
10 - Daniel Carter
9 - Piri Weepu

8 - Victor Vito
7 - Richie McCaw (c)
6 - Adam Thomson
5 - Sam Whitelock
4 - Luke Romano
3 - Owen Franks
2 - Andrew Hore
1 - Wyatt Crockett

Reserves:
16 - Dane Coles
17 - Tony Woodcock
18 - Ben Franks
19 - Ali Williams
20 - Sam Cane
21 - Tawera Kerr-Barlow
22 - Beauden Barrett
23 - Ma'a Nonu

Two new caps : Kerr-Barlow and Dane Coles

Last edited by cp10 on Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:33 am; edited 4 times in total

cp10

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield - Page 9 Empty Re: Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield

Post by RDW Fri 09 Nov 2012, 7:38 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: hope its a hard and fast track because if theres one thing that backline isnt missing, is wheels.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll let the groundsmen know that the pitch could do with an extra watering before the game! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield - Page 9 Empty Re: Scotland vs All Blacks @ 2.30pm Sunday 11 Nov Murrayfield

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2012, 7:49 am

Close to 800 caps amongst that lot still. Looking forward to seeing TKB at half back, hope he gets a good run. He's the natural replacement for weepu, combative. So if TKB kicks on we'll have nice options with him and Smith.

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 09 Nov 2012, 8:01 am

ebop wrote:Close to 800 caps amongst that lot still. Looking forward to seeing TKB at half back, hope he gets a good run. He's the natural replacement for weepu, combative. So if TKB kicks on we'll have nice options with him and Smith.

I bet Taylorman cant wait...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 09 Nov 2012, 8:03 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote: hope its a hard and fast track because if theres one thing that backline isnt missing, is wheels.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll let the groundsmen know that the pitch could do with an extra watering before the game! Very Happy

I'm picturing 67,000 Scotsmen bringing their own bucket of water from home just to help the cause.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:02 am

Dear rain, please pee down all sat night

Yours sincerely

Scotland

Dear Scotland, you mean like I do all the time anyway?

Yours Sincerely

Scottish Rain

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:09 am

I think the rain would help the blacks - their handling is sublime along with their power - I think a dry and windy day is better for Scotland - Players fall off tackles in wet weather, unless of course they are all blacks - good luck thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:16 am

Playing surface will be mint, so surely it'll have to pissist down and blow a gale to put teams off their stride. Not sure about Vito, he's not much of a bullock and rarely makes ground.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:41 am

You not massively concerned about Vito - he's no Reed anyway. Similar to Brown I suppose - not a natural 8 but athletic and skillful.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:44 am

Murrayfield can hardly be worse than Wellington in a Gale Shocked I would expect an arm wrestle given weather conditions but could be wrong.If Vito is a problem at 8 dump him move RM there and bring on Cane Doh looking forward
hope one of my native sides[Scotland]lose but narrowly having put the fear of God up them Yahoo That would liven them up after Brisbane and knock any complacency out of them.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:48 am

Weather forecast - dry, sunny, 8 degrees and low wind picard

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650225?day=2

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:06 am

Ellison and Smith, a potential chink in the armour? Probably not, but I need to grasp at some sort of hope.

If we can stay within 20 I will be surprised. Nothing like a good dose of Scottish optimism.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:08 am

Celtic V Barcelona repeated on the rugby field thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:15 am

RubyGuby wrote:Celtic V Barcelona repeated on the rugby field thumbsup

Cheers, Ruby - we can dream! I have to say, the atmosphere at Parkhead for that game looked unbelievable. I hope the game is at least competitive so the crowd has a chance to really get behind the team on Sunday.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:16 am

You know what's gonna happen - they're giving all this talk about not wanting to let in a score early and not let them get an early lead.

Guaranteed they score in the first 5 minutes.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:23 am

Yeah, we really don't have a cat in hell's chance.

The prospect of Traynor against either of the Franks brothers is enough to send me reaching for the drink.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:28 am

Don't blame the ABs for your alcoholism EST, everyone knows that win or lose you lot will still be getting hammered Wink

PS Owen's the good one. Ben isn't world class.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:30 am

disneychilly wrote:Don't blame the ABs for your alcoholism EST, everyone knows that win or lose you lot will still be getting hammered Wink

Some of us have work the next day! I have already spoken to my Boss and said IF Scotland win on Sunday I'll be taking Monday off as a flexi day to nurse the inevitable hangover.

My boss said : "See you on Monday then."
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:38 am

disneychilly wrote:Don't blame the ABs for your alcoholism EST, everyone knows that win or lose you lot will still be getting hammered Wink

This is true, Disney - if there is one thing us Scots do well its drowning our sorrows after sporting failures!

Yeah, i'm afraid against poor old Kyle Traynor, it doesn't really matter which one trundles on to face him. He was recently shipped out of Edinburgh due to his lack of scrummaging prowess!

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:44 am

The chat is that Ryan Grant has been scrumming at tight head all week so if Cross doesn't last (which I'd put money on he won't) then chunk will come on and Grant moves to tighthead.

If Grant and Cross go off then we're done for - Traynor at tighthead! picard

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:49 am

Oh dear, that doesn't bear thinking about. RDW, did the time spent by Traynor and Grant at Edinburgh overlap? And was Traynor ahead in the pecking order?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:58 am

I'm not sure whether they overlapped, but neither we really involved much. Traynor only really got involved in the last 2 seasons, by which time Grant had moved to the Weedge.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:59 am

What really bugs me is this age thing,30/31 is now considered over the hill Ellison is 29,Kahui about the same age.Why all of a sudden do players in there early 20`s need to be drafted in en masse`?Obviously team development is important and the desire to avoid a 1991/8 situation is important.
BUT the cheapening of the Shirt by rotating large numbers in to the Squad as in 2006.Where many players had 1 or 2 caps and cashed in going North,with the result 2007 was`nt a completely settled side.Not to mention ruining the Pascific nations players becaused they had been capped as ABs.
Usually the Selectors know when a player is past his sell by date and he is replaced.Often the player himself knows and quietly bows out Ritchie McCaw is the main point of speculation.For the last two years he has been very injury prone,won a RWC with a broken foot.Since his return this year he is now back at the top of the hill others aspire too.There are many good/great 7s in the World but only one RM.He has already said if he thinks he has become a liability noone need fire him he will just go.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 11:18 am

Well a pretty decent looking NZ side. Should be interesting to see Matt Scott up against Ellison, 2 inexperienced centres.
Relieved that Nonu's not starting. Had horrible visions of him running through Laidlaw...

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 09 Nov 2012, 11:24 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm not sure whether they overlapped, but neither we really involved much. Traynor only really got involved in the last 2 seasons, by which time Grant had moved to the Weedge.

Thanks RDW, their career paths have taken very different trajectories.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2012, 11:28 am

That's it GLove, decent enough, not an A team but also not a B team. Reckon you guys are reasonably happy. There's respect shown but there's also enough potential openings to try and exploit. Thompson and Vito are hardly scary prospects, nor is weepu and the untried midfield. Yet McCaw, DC, Dagg, Jane, Savea, Owen, Whitelock give this team an edge element.

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 11:41 am

Surprised with Ellison at 12, thought he was a 13. Most games I've watched he's played there and been really good. Also surprised not to see Ryan Crotty in the squad, best 12 (exc SBW) I've seen in NZ Super Rugby and ITM Cup.

Glad that Messam and Reed aren't playing but Thomson puts in a lot of work and likes to find his way to the try line.

Back three - most dangerous combination in the world.

Also Weepu? Why are they playing him? Good for us as Weepu isn't as fast round the pitch. TKB or Smith would be more deadly round the edges. Andy Ellis should've went ahead of Weepu.

Dane Coles is a dangerous hooker, plays like a back. Set up a lovely try in the ITM Cup Semi. Ran the 13 line round the outside of the oppo - chipped in over the defending player and a supporting player went in for the try.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 09 Nov 2012, 11:44 am

ebop wrote:That's it GLove, decent enough, not an A team but also not a B team. Reckon you guys are reasonably happy. There's respect shown but there's also enough potential openings to try and exploit. Thompson and Vito are hardly scary prospects, nor is weepu and the untried midfield. Yet McCaw, DC, Dagg, Jane, Savea, Owen, Whitelock give this team an edge element.

All true, ebop. I imagine quite a good selection from a NZ perspective as well - key names in there to all but guarantee the win, with the opportunity to drip feed some untested talent and combinations?

How are Ellison and Ben Smith rated in NZ? I have always been impressed with Smith (seems a natural successor to Conrad?), but don't know a great deal about Ellison.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2012, 12:14 pm

Others will describe them better, but these guys play for the Highlanders which is not one of the glamour clubs so they kind of fly under the radar a bit. Smith is a great runner and fast! Tamati is deceptively strong, he can make a big hit. He's solid without being spectacular. I hold no fear with these guys but they're obviously no Smith-Nonu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 09 Nov 2012, 12:20 pm

Ben Smith has had a good run of late. Early in the year I think he was recovering from injury and didn't set the world alight but he has put in some good performances off the bench of late. A useful player.

Ellison has experience at 13 but we need to look at a replacement for Nonu with SBW out as well. He isn't much to look at but like Jane he is very difficult to stop and has a good fend (not as good as Jane though who has more fend than a Hummer).

Weepu starting is ok because that means TK will come on in the second half and as he likes to attack the line I think he is better suited when legs are tired. The backrow is a bit lightweight but at least has the experience of McCaw. Read will captain in Italy.

I think the selectors have got this right. They needed to bring in new players for the future like the centres and front row but to be honest the forwards don't fill me with much hope for the future like the prospect of Savea or Smith so let's see how they go on Sunday.

NZ should have too much class across the park but Scotland can indeed attack key areas like the breakdown and hope to gain an edge.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 09 Nov 2012, 1:28 pm

They have Nonu on the bench, says it all really.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 09 Nov 2012, 1:33 pm

I think putting Savea on the wing is a good call. If he gets any space, he will be more of a handful than Gear was last time. If Scotland can slow the ball at the breakdown though and put pressure on the new centre pairing they might well contain the NZ backline with good weather on the cards. But if they get space, then it could be a hat-trick for Savea or more.

Going to be interesting to see if Scotland can bring in their danger men like Visser. Last time they tried an expansive game but they were so lateral and predictable it was embarrassingly easy for NZ. They need to run decoys and clever lines and test the centre pairing.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 09 Nov 2012, 2:35 pm

http://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2012/11/a-scottish-response-to-the-haka-scots-wha-hae/

Any suggestions? Tossing cabers with one hand or downing a litre bottle of irnbru (or buckfast if you're a weegie)?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

Scots Wha Hae is a bit of a belter but I faill to see it's relvance against anyone but England. Besides I don't think most people would know the words.

I have no problem the the Advancing towards and staring your opposite number in the eye. That would be my "natural response".
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 09 Nov 2012, 3:36 pm

oh god. dont let this decend into another Haka debate!!!

let them do it then beat them at rugby. best response I say!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 09 Nov 2012, 3:43 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Scots Wha Hae is a bit of a belter but I faill to see it's relvance against anyone but England. Besides I don't think most people would know the words.

I have no problem the the Advancing towards and staring your opposite number in the eye. That would be my "natural response".
As long as nobody gives Max Evans a champagne glass Bubbly

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:14 pm

How's about once the All Blacks start their haka, the Scotland team respond with a bit of Gangnam style...

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:17 pm

Ooooooooo sexy lady.................
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:28 pm

Surprised Hansen is unleashing the best All Blacks for this one, I thought we would see a lot more rotation. However I do not doubt that they'll be able to beat their 4 opponents without suffering from burnout.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:28 pm

Pheefph. The Haka. What a circus that thing is Whistle

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:51 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Surprised Hansen is unleashing the best All Blacks for this one, I thought we would see a lot more rotation. However I do not doubt that they'll be able to beat their 4 opponents without suffering from burnout.

It's certainly not the first choice lineup. 2nd choice front row, experimental back row and inexperienced midfield. While I don't think we'll get anything from this I think we can avoid a thumping like last time. I expect us to score at least 6 points so lets say 35-6.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 09 Nov 2012, 5:15 pm

It's only the centre's that look 2nd choice to me.

*EDIT, just took another look at the team. Jeez, All Blacks still look the best with their 2nd choice front-row and midfield.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 5:25 pm

In your dreams the front 5 with Ben Franks is the Crusaders "ALI" shuffle. Hore
currently with Bismarck duPlessis the Worlds best rake.The BEST second row and with Read for Vito at 8 plus Woodcock for Crockett my starting 8.Crockett is a punishing scrummager,plus the two bench probably the best 4 props as a unit in world rugby.Thomson is in a position to prove something probably THE most consistent loosie at ITM and Super level in NZ for several years.NEVER let Nz down even if he has`nt really been given chance to nail down a starting position.Don`t be surprised if he`s back in a Highlanders shirt in 2013 after a brief run in Japan.Like Nonu and Ellison a place has been left open in the Highlanders squad.As to 12`s there are solid players like Ryan Crotty and Adam Whitelock plus even Tom Taylor as a bolter.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri 09 Nov 2012, 5:33 pm

Doesn't look like I'll be able to watch it live, does anyone know if the full game will be available on iplayer later on Sunday?

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 09 Nov 2012, 5:38 pm

Pat - I'll be scanning tinternet for a live stream that works and I'll let you know which is working best. OK

Nothing to add to the posts above about how this match is going to go. I just hope that we give a good account of ourselves.

Our real winter tests start against the Saffers, whom I hope (respectfully of course) get a fine jolly rodgering in their first game. Sorry Biltong.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri 09 Nov 2012, 6:04 pm

Thanks but I'll be busy during the game itself, need a way to watch it later on. If I can avoid finding out the scale of the defeat until then.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 09 Nov 2012, 6:06 pm

Pat_Mustard wrote:Thanks but I'll be busy during the game itself, need a way to watch it later on. If I can avoid finding out the scale of the defeat until then.

It's on BBC2, so sky+ or the free view equivalent. Or dig the VCR out of the attic ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri 09 Nov 2012, 6:14 pm

VCR it is, the Mustard household is stuck in the 90s!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 09 Nov 2012, 6:22 pm

Just tell me that you've not on Betamax, Pat... Erm
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri 09 Nov 2012, 6:40 pm

Nope VHS, been a while since I've used it, think I'll wait and see if Saturday's games appear on iplayer before I go searching for tapes!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Fri 09 Nov 2012, 8:47 pm

Anybody watching the Samoa vs Canada game just now? Samoa looking good. Composed and confident. Canadians finding it hard to get possession.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next