The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War of the Roses??

+4
kwinigolfer
George1507
SpacemanSpiff
JAS
8 posters

Go down

War of the Roses?? Empty War of the Roses??

Post by JAS Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:37 pm

A group of us are going to East Lothian for my 50th in mid March, not content with taking in Muirfield, north Berwick, Gullane 1 and the Pubic Triangle we're thinking about overnighting and playing a course on the way up, D4S (coming on the trip) has suggested Ganton which I'd love to play but I've also got half an eye on one of the Southport area courses (S&A, Hillside or Formby).

I'm tending toward the Red Rose County A) because its about 1hr 20 min less of a detour and B) the West coast is likely to be a few degrees milder in Mid March than the Yorkshire Moors.

Has anyone played Ganton? More specifically, played it at that time of year? Anyone who has have you played any of the Lancs courses mentioned?

JAS

Back to top Go down

War of the Roses?? Empty Re: War of the Roses??

Post by SpacemanSpiff Wed 24 Oct 2012, 5:28 pm

JAS - Can't help you with Ganton or Lancs courses, but you will love Muirfield. Not stunning views but the course just seems to play fairly and is a joy. You'll be allocated to almost an annexe for changing, but it doesn't really matter. All about the course.
OK

SpacemanSpiff

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 24 Oct 2012, 5:49 pm

Ganton - it's fantastic. It's a long way inland, so not a links, but you'll never play on a course with turf like that except at the seaside. It's wonderful. It drains really well. Really well designed course too. There are few famous bunkers too - one has a staircase down into it, and when at the bottom all you can see is the sky.

If you are headed to East Lothian, then I doubt Ganton will add time to your journey. Assuming you are coming from the south, the M1/A1 is a good deal shorter than trailing up the M6. Also just off the A1 route you'll find Moortown, Moor Allerton, Rockliffe Hall, Seaton Carew and Brancepeth.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 24 Oct 2012, 6:21 pm

If JAS went up the West Coast he could call Shabino for a round at his beloved Silloth . . . . . from memory one of the most highly regarded courses when discussed in 606 days.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 24 Oct 2012, 6:31 pm

Ganton is a very good course so its Yorkshire for me, mind you I have not played any of the Lancslinks.

If you have time take in Gullane No3 for an evening game. Cracking wee course. The members used to play a winter medal on No 3 and the scores were not much better than No1.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 24 Oct 2012, 6:32 pm

Kwini - great shout for a superb course. Another more or less on the route is St Anne's Old Links, the original Lytham and St Anne's given up as building land which was never used when the course was moved to its current location. Final Qualifying course for the Open when played at RL&StA and an often overlooked gem.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by HiGun Wed 24 Oct 2012, 6:48 pm

The west coast is a bit warmer but the courses you mention are very exposed, with the exception of Formby which has a bit of shelter from the pines. The wind can be bitterly cold off the irish sea.
Played Hillside last Feb and it was freezing!Its quite tough and the front 7/8 is nothing flash. The back nine is lovely though, the par 5 11th is as nice a hole as you will ever see. It is expensive though, even in the winter
I have played Formby a couple of times in the winter months and its always been in great condition and it is gorgeous. Its layed out around the ladies course, so one holes follows another like a circle, very scenic. Good deals in the winter too.
S&A is ok, starts with a par 3 which is a bit unusual. Lots of heather and a few blind shots. Its a fine course in the spring/summer but a bit of a slog in the winter.

Out of the 3 I would play Formby everytime.

a couple of others to think about are St Annes old links, was an open qualifier this year. Played it a couple weeks before the qualifier and it was immaculate, nice course and reasonably priced. West Lancs, its a bit of a brute and quite exposed but they do good deals in the winter and if you want a challenge then this is the one.

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 24 Oct 2012, 8:38 pm

Some good info there guys and good comparisons, assuming we get a reasonably mild winter and its fairly mild that week then yeah I'd like to do Ganton.

Bearing in mind I'll be starting at Swindon the m5/m6 route to Carlisle is that much quicker than any shift across to th M1 George.

Good shout on Silloth although I've played it twice already, I've actually played Formby once and Hillside twice but I'd go back to either in a flash for a good winter deal, S&A is the only big Southport course I haven't tried, West lLancs a good shout too as is St Anne's old.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 25 Oct 2012, 9:34 am

Tough call JAS! Ganton is definitely worth a play although I have no idea what the course would be like in mid-March. Still, as has already been alluded to, it plays like an inland links. Plenty of opportunity to play a bump n'run game if that's the cut of your jib but ... stay out of those bunkers!

Someone mentioned Silloth. Another gem. Feel as though you're stepping back in time when you play that one. Hell of a place to get to though.

I've never played Hillside or Formby but have heard nothing but good stuff about them. Indeed, some say that Hillside is better than Royal Birkdale and feel it would have had an Open long before now had there not been infrastructure issues.

West Lancs is also worth a play and, at that time of year, you shouldn't have to concern yourself about their bizarre sock rules!

If time permits and you decided to play Ganton you could, en route to Muirfield via the coastal road, take in Goswick (Berwick on Tweed). Pure links and lovingly tended by the Head Greenkeeper who regularly digs out the backs of bunkers to keep them level.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down